Bye bye cable tv

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Re: Bye bye cable tv
Tue May 14, 2013 6:35 am
  • HolyEffinMoses wrote:
    Sometimes you have to throw a little piracy in there because I'm not waiting on Game of Thrones to come out on DVD, but I'll buy it when it does, balances out well enough in my book.

The #1 most pirated show ever? Game of Thrones.

And HBO could change that, just offer HBOgo without going up through the levels and levels of TV cable that cost +$120 a month to get to it.

Just offer HBOgo for $8 or $10 a month, like a Netflix and people would pay for it. Problem solved.
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Tue May 14, 2013 9:34 am
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:
    Just offer HBOgo for $8 or $10 a month, like a Netflix and people would pay for it. Problem solved.

Problem partially solved. Doesn't really matter what the price is, there will always be a percentage that won't pay and will get access.
    And this post is not directed at anyone personally.
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue May 14, 2013 9:53 am
  • DTexHawk wrote:Problem partially solved. Doesn't really matter what the price is, there will always be a percentage that won't pay and will get access.

You sound like the RIAA and MPAA muppets. Can't solve the problem with 100% certainty and completely and utterly eliminate piracy altogether so not one person on this planet does it? I SEE NO REASON TO CHANGE, MAINTAIN THE CURRENT SYSTEM AT ALL COSTS!

:roll:
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue May 14, 2013 10:05 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    DTexHawk wrote:Problem partially solved. Doesn't really matter what the price is, there will always be a percentage that won't pay and will get access.

You sound like the RIAA and MPAA muppets. Can't solve the problem with 100% certainty and completely and utterly eliminate piracy altogether so not one person on this planet does it? I SEE NO REASON TO CHANGE, MAINTAIN THE CURRENT SYSTEM AT ALL COSTS!

Isn't that the same arguement used for anti gun control people, though? "Gun Control wouldn't have stopped that school shooting, so it wouldn't work"?
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Tue May 14, 2013 10:07 am
  • Pretty much. Both arguments are flawed. That doesn't mean they entirely lack any salient points, however. Things are rarely 100% black and white.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue May 14, 2013 10:10 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Pretty much. Both arguments are flawed. That doesn't mean they entirely lack any salient points, however. Things are rarely 100% black and white.

Agree. I cant stand that argument. "Well, it wouldn't fix that, so what's the point?" It's extremely flawed and those who make such arguments are intellectually dishonest.

Now, g'damn it Roland, do something where I can disagree and troll you. This is uncomfortable.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Tue May 14, 2013 10:21 am
  • DTexHawk wrote:
    twisted_steel2 wrote:

Problem partially solved. Doesn't really matter what the price is, there will always be a percentage that won't pay and will get access.

Netflix came out and said the way they are fighting piracy is to make more options available. They know that providing as many options as possible, for a fair/reasonable fee is making a dent in piracy. It's working. They have the data to prove it as well.

My point being HBO is doing the opposite, being super restrictive. And their shows are the most pirated.

Problem partially solved.

Well of course, nothing is ever 100%, there are no absolutes. Like Roland said, things are rarely 100% black and white.

But whatever HBO, let your shows be pirated, and leave all that money out there, you could be collecting it. :34853_doh:
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Tue May 14, 2013 12:14 pm
  • pehawk wrote:Agree. I cant stand that argument. "Well, it wouldn't fix that, so what's the point?" It's extremely flawed and those who make such arguments are intellectually dishonest.

Now, g'damn it Roland, do something where I can disagree and troll you. This is uncomfortable.

Sorry, broseph; I say what's on my mind. Sometimes that results in really long and weird threads in the shack, and sometimes people side with me and give a proverbial fistbump. If it makes you feel better, I can change my stance and claim that Lady Talon has nicer lady bits than you?
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue May 14, 2013 12:48 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    DTexHawk wrote:Problem partially solved. Doesn't really matter what the price is, there will always be a percentage that won't pay and will get access.

Please show me where I said not to change? (I just have a lot more patience than you do waiting for it.)

All I did was say that the "problem" of pirating would still not be completely fixed.

Now, back to the buying of individual shows, I would think that HBO would need to charge more than a netflix would due to the production costs to the shows that netlflix doesn't have. They also have to support the costs of producing shows that aren't successful.

So, if HBOgo asked for $19.99 rather than $9.99 a month, how many of you would pirate instead of pay?

Bottom line, everything has a price. Don't understand the need to have to have something when you don't want to pay what the owner wants.
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue May 14, 2013 12:53 pm
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:
    But whatever HBO, let your shows be pirated, and leave all that money out there, you could be collecting it. :34853_doh:

I would venture that they have priced their current lineup taking into account the pirating, and realize that even if they dropped their price 50%, they wouldn't double their viewership to offset the drop in revenue. :34853_doh:
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue May 14, 2013 12:56 pm
  • The problem I had was with the word "partially". The solution in that example was solving like, 90% of the problem. Your phrasing implied it was drastically lower.

Also, I'd pay $20/mo for HBO Go. Probably not more than that, and I'd probably feel that's really pushing the price point for what you get, but I'd plunk that down for HBO Go assuming it gives me their permanent historical catalogue of shows. That, Netflix, and say another $25/mo for Showtime, AMC, and access to my local channels; and I'm pleased as punch. $55 instead of $120+.

Also, DTex, since you're so hard up for big corporations, you should realize that dumping your price to gain market share is a smart strategy, so once you dominate a market, you can then increase prices. The Japanese have been doing it to us since shortly after WW2 ended, and to fantastically great effect.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue May 14, 2013 1:08 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:The problem I had was with the word "partially". The solution in that example was solving like, 90% of the problem. Your phrasing implied it was drastically lower.

So then "problem solved" wasn't accurate either. What word would you use to describe something wasn't completely solved/completed???

Also, I'd pay $20/mo for HBO Go. Probably not more than that, and I'd probably feel that's really pushing the price point for what you get, but I'd plunk that down for HBO Go assuming it gives me their permanent historical catalogue of shows. That, Netflix, and say another $25/mo for Showtime, AMC, and access to my local channels; and I'm pleased as punch. $55 instead of $120+.

Also, DTex, since you're so hard up for big corporations, you should realize that dumping your price to gain market share is a smart strategy, so once you dominate a market, you can then increase prices. The Japanese have been doing it to us since shortly after WW2 ended, and to fantastically great effect.

Not hard up for big corps, but do realize they have people that know much more about their industries than you or I and can properly price/distribute their products. Do methods change, of course they do and they will.

Is there a possibility that they have gained what they think is maximum market share, dominate their industry, and are charging higher based on that.

As to HBO, I have been getting it all for free for 3 months as an extra for keeping my FIOS package for over my 2 year commitment.

When it ends at the end of the month and they try to get me to subscribe, I will pass. Haven't found any shows that would be worth the cost.
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:39 pm

Next

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:41 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information