Mobile Device Advice

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Mobile Device Advice
Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:26 am
  • So my wife and I are in the market for a couple of new cell phones and I'm looking for a little advice from the phone savvy folks we have here on .NET.

Currently we have the BlackBerry z10 and Droid DNA at the top of our lists. Apps don't make our world turn for us, but options are nice. Pictures and video are important since we have a 9 month old and want to capture everything. Browser speeds are important for me. We are switching from Sprint to Verizon as well so we will actually have 4G!

iPhone is out of the question so don't even go there. But any other input, experiences, or advice would be greatly appreciated!
    DHawk
    NET Veteran

Re: Mobile Device Advice
Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:52 am
  • DHawk wrote:So my wife and I are in the market for a couple of new cell phones and I'm looking for a little advice from the phone savvy folks we have here on .NET.

Currently we have the BlackBerry z10 and Droid DNA at the top of our lists. Apps don't make our world turn for us, but options are nice. Pictures and video are important since we have a 9 month old and want to capture everything. Browser speeds are important for me. We are switching from Sprint to Verizon as well so we will actually have 4G!

iPhone is out of the question so don't even go there. But any other input, experiences, or advice would be greatly appreciated!

I like where your head's at. You're starting from pretty firm footing right there.

Great starting point if you're wanting to get more general information: http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phone-buying-guide/

Reviews here: http://reviews.cnet.com/best-cell-phones/

CNET usually has pretty good advice in my experience.

I'm not up on the new stuff right now since my plan isn't up for another year and there will probably be 2-3 new waves of phone releases by then, so why bother?
    President of the Perfect Parents Society - est. 2013
    JesterHawk
    * Smackmeister *

Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:18 am
  • Thanks for the links Jester. That's the other thing I forgot to mention, which Cnet touched on, which was the size of the phone. I've messed around with my wife's Samsung Galaxy 2 a bit and I didn't like the size all that much, which is something that has me worried about the DNA to a certain extent.
    DHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:55 am
  • All the cool people are going to have BlackBerries this time next year. You want to be cool, right? Get in on the ground floor? Be ahead of the curve? yeah, you know you want to be hip... ;)
    Radish, check your PMs. Man upstairs has an invite for a tail gate up in heaven with your name on it.
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:15 am
  • Haha Can, funny how phones work right? I remember when BB was everywhere about 5ish years ago. Then I got one to see what all the fuss was about, got hooked, then everyone was like "ewwww BlackBerry". I've loved BlackBerry since. But I'm willing and actually looking forward to trying Android IF it means its a stable and reliable piece of equipment like my lackluster BB's have been.
    DHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:54 am
  • What do you guys think about T-Mobile, seeing these adds for their Simple Choice plan, no contracts, unlimited, minutes, texts, 500Mb data = $50 a month, another $10 to get 2Gb of data.

Seems like a good deal?
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:16 pm
  • I'm a big fan of Tmobile. I bought a Nexus 4 from GooglePlay and I've been loving it.

Plan-wise, Tmobile offers very competitive rates. Over the course of two years, their plans will be cheaper since you're paying full-price of the phone (which can be spread over the life of your contract) rather than pick up a plan that will cost you more in the 2-years on other carriers.

It depends on what you're looking for camera wise as well.

Samsung makes a great camera so I would hold out for the Galaxy IV if you can or get the Galaxy III.
    "Go for Broke" - 442nd Japanese-American Battalion

Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

"YOU POST...TO WIN...thethread." JesterHawk
    sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:30 pm
  • I purchased the Galaxy SIII about a week ago and so far I love it. Switched over from a Droid X that I had for a number of years. So far, I have been very pleased with the battery life as that was one of the negatives that I had heard about the phone.
    I am a firm believer in luck, and I found that the harder I work the more I have of it.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:24 am
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:What do you guys think about T-Mobile, seeing these adds for their Simple Choice plan, no contracts, unlimited, minutes, texts, 500Mb data = $50 a month, another $10 to get 2Gb of data.

Seems like a good deal?

It's bull for me, these people wanted me to drop loot on a new phone (I asked about the nexus 4 & iPhone 5) so I left and went to Verizon just yesterday, 6 years and only 2 upgrades and they wanted 300+ for a down payment for a new phone. Screw em fo lyfe!
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:05 am
  • I pay a flat 50 per month, including tax, for unlimited everything with MetroPCS. They used to suck but they've gotten so much better and now have merged with T-Mobile.

No contract, but you have to pay full price for the phone.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:51 am
  • SacHawk2.0 wrote:I pay a flat 50 per month, including tax, for unlimited everything with MetroPCS. They used to suck but they've gotten so much better and now have merged with T-Mobile.

Man, we have it good in the UK ... unlimited everything plus Samsung Galaxy S3 for free for £29 per month ($43 approx).

Not that that helps you in the slightest... just thought I'd gloat. I like the S3. I was initially bummed as it didn't seem to support Flash player, but now I've managed to install it so I have no complaints. It's big but light and you don't notice it in your pocket. The battery life is pretty good too.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:30 pm
  • I recently picked up an Optimus G (LG). Not very popular, hard to find accessories for it -- the one case at best buy they had that was supposedly made for the thing didn't even fit. It's a bit larger than the HTC Inspire it replaced. There are complaints that it's a bit older droid OS.

So, all the thing that sucks about it aside -- It trucks. Only quad core that was available at the time that wasn't a gigantic note. Since my phone is basically nothing more than portable internet, its ability to whiz right along no matter how many browsers I open is all I really care about.
    TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:35 pm
  • Hawkspur wrote:
    SacHawk2.0 wrote:I pay a flat 50 per month, including tax, for unlimited everything with MetroPCS. They used to suck but they've gotten so much better and now have merged with T-Mobile.

I like the S3. I was initially bummed as it didn't seem to support Flash player, but now I've managed to install it so I have no complaints.

How did you manage doing this?
    I am a firm believer in luck, and I found that the harder I work the more I have of it.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:18 am
  • CurryStopstheRuns wrote:
    Hawkspur wrote:
    SacHawk2.0 wrote:I pay a flat 50 per month, including tax, for unlimited everything with MetroPCS. They used to suck but they've gotten so much better and now have merged with T-Mobile.

I like the S3. I was initially bummed as it didn't seem to support Flash player, but now I've managed to install it so I have no complaints.

How did you manage doing this?

I can't remember exactly which link it was, but I just googled 'How to install flash player galaxy s3' and found a site that gave a link to a download. It wasn't an official Adobe link but it is working fine and has done for the past 6 weeks or so.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but good luck!
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:50 am
  • I've been pretty content with my Droid Razr for the last year and a half. May upgrade to a different handset when my contract is up and pass this one down to my daughter, though.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:54 am
  • Hawkspur wrote:
    I can't remember exactly which link it was, but I just googled 'How to install flash player galaxy s3' and found a site that gave a link to a download. It wasn't an official Adobe link but it is working fine and has done for the past 6 weeks or so.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but good luck!

Thank you.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:12 pm
  • SacHawk2.0 wrote:I pay a flat 50 per month, including tax, for unlimited everything with MetroPCS. They used to suck but they've gotten so much better and now have merged with T-Mobile.

This is a good option for those who don't want stuff like 4g service or good coverage outside of metro areas.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:16 pm
  • I have 4G service and had coverage the whole trip from Sac, to Santa Barbara and Las Vegas.
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:12 pm
  • You probably had FauxG, not 4G, Sac.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:32 pm
  • Nope. It's actual 4G LTE, and I'm not using a crappy iPhone either.
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:14 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information