Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » THE NET NATION LOUNGE » [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Post subject: Buying a car help
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:30 pm 
NET Practice Squad

Hello fellow members,

I have recently been looking at purchasing a toyota tacoma,anyways I have never purchased a vehicle(parents have always given me one,finally living on my own) and so its a new thing for me.I have been looking on craigslist and in the local ads here in Montana.My main concern is I have found several trucks but they have salvage titles and so they are priced lower than retail and so what are the main concerns when it comes to salvage titles? Any and all suggestions when it comes to general vehicle buying is also much appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Buying a car help
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:38 pm 
* NET Radish *

cubbyhawkfan wrote:
Hello fellow members,

I have recently been looking at purchasing a toyota tacoma,anyways I have never purchased a vehicle(parents have always given me one,finally living on my own) and so its a new thing for me.I have been looking on craigslist and in the local ads here in Montana.My main concern is I have found several trucks but they have salvage titles and so they are priced lower than retail and so what are the main concerns when it comes to salvage titles? Any and all suggestions when it comes to general vehicle buying is also much appreciated!

Be very careful purchasing any vehicle with "salvage titles". Anyone of them could have been mashed flat, totaled and then thrown back together with parts other than "approved" ones. Making them a less than average safety investment.

Do a little online searching and you can easily find horror storys of salvage titled cars. Remember they were TOTALED for a reason. If you don't know personally the people that repaired it and the type of parts they used be very wary of them.

I've been around the car parts/service/sales business for many years and would not purchase one if I didn't know and trust the guy that rebuilt it.

Good luck and remember the old saw about if it appears to good to be true it probably isn't.

:les:

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:55 pm 
NET Veteran

I have seen cars totalled for a punched in fender, if the cost of fixing the car is more expensive then 1/3 of the actual resale value of the car many times insurance companies will total it. You do need to do your homework....car fax maybe?

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:19 pm 
NET Veteran

If the work done to repair the car is good, the only negative of a salvage title is when you want to -try- and sell it someday. It really depends on why the car was salvaged...
On a Taco, it could be because of the frame issues they had a few years ago...(google it). It's possible the frame was repaired and it's as good or better than one without a salvaged title. Looks like the 2nd gen Taco is having some rust issues these days too....shame, they're good trucks.

-SH

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:28 pm 
NET Veteran

Guess I'm not the only one that calls them Tacos. Can't speak for the salvage titles, but I loved my Tacoma.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:48 pm 
NET Veteran

I very recently went thru this as the one time I let the wife borrow my car she gets hit at the local Fred Myers, the damage is just in front of the rear wheel and the adjuster assumed it would be totalled, he said it was really close. In my case had they totalled it I would have gotten the "fair" market value of the car and then be able to buy it back from the wrecking yard that claimed it under a salvage title. :-/

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:49 pm 
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Buy a Ford.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:18 pm 
NET Rookie

1. Do your homework. www.edmunds.com is your friend.
2. You didn't say whether or not you will be financing this purchase. If you will, then arrange for the financing yourself - before you begin shopping. This can save you $$$ because if you buy from a dealer, they often make $$ on their financing deals.
3. No matter how hot you get for a particular vehicle, be prepared to walk away if you can't get the deal you want. There are plenty more vehicles out there.
4. Never ever ever discuss payments with the salesman before you make the deal. They are pros at hiding fees/costs and rolling them into a payment that you already said you would be comfortable with. Know what price you are willing to pay and stick to your guns. The payments will work out in your favor because you already arranged your financing...you should already know what your payments will be for a given amount of $$.
5. Don't get suckered into extended warranties, rustproofing, appearance packages etc etc etc. These are almost ALWAYS dealer profits.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:41 am 
* NET Radish *

m0ng0 wrote:
I have seen cars totalled for a punched in fender, if the cost of fixing the car is more expensive then 1/3 of the actual resale value of the car many times insurance companies will total it. You do need to do your homework....car fax maybe?

Yes but for every one of those there are many that were seriously bashed and really are never safe to drive again. As I said, check out the odds and problems online about salvaged vehicles.

Also the person who mentioned getting advance financing. A lot of financial instutitions will not loan money on a salvaged title vehicle.

:les:

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:47 am 
NET Ring Of Honor

I just bought a car. I bought it brand new. I wanted to start from scratch (not with the payments though :lol: )

When you buy something used you can figure you are going to be sinking money into it somewhere/place.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:44 pm 
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Unless you know exactly what was repaired and why the insurance company wanted to total the car, steer clear of salvage titles.

Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:49 pm 
NET Veteran

Go with a Nissan Frontier instead.

Why buy a salvage title? Do you want to introduce yourself into problems that are expensive?

RIP ROAD WOES 12/2/2012

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:03 pm 
* 17Power Blogger *

cubbyhawkfan wrote:
I have been looking on craigslist and in the local ads here in Montana.

Wait, what? Where are you exactly?

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power

Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:42 am 
* NET Radish *

MontanaHawk05 wrote:
cubbyhawkfan wrote:
I have been looking on craigslist and in the local ads here in Montana.

Wait, what? Where are you exactly?

Yes Lord. Does he realilze a "salvaged" car in Montana is a saddle horse with no saddle?

:lol:

Post Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:32 pm 
* NET Alumni *

I bought a 2012 Tacoma last summer. I love it! I see how people treat their new vehicles and I didn't want to buy something someone else abused. I put less than 6000 miles per year on my vehicle so I figure I'm good for 20 years easily.

Board index » THE NET NATION LOUNGE » [ THE NET LOUNGE ]