Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » THE NET NATION LOUNGE » [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Post subject: Pickling
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:17 pm 
* Natural Rubbing Action *

I decided on a whim today to pickle some eggs. I love pickled eggs, but they're expensive as hell, and hard(ish) to find. Wife wanted hard boiled eggs and tomatoes for breakfast this morning, so I cooked up an extra amount of eggs, did a little Google foo, and pickled a jar of 'em.

I used a clean pickle jar, and the mix was hot enough going into the jar that it self-sealed, which means I can pull them out of the fridge and store them on the shelf if I want. Doubt they'll last that long. Pickled things generally don't last long around this house.

I chopped all the ingredients besides the eggs into inch-long or smaller chunks, with the thought that such sizes are about the right size to eat some of the zestier ingredients I added: soft-boiled eggs, a smallish white onion, a bunch of green onions, a couple of jalapenos, a generous handful of fresh garlic cloves, bay leaves, minced garlic, flaked hot pepper, pickling spices, cracked black pepper, salt, and sugar.

Boiled it all for about a half an hour in 3/4ths vinegar & 1/4ths water solution, and stuffed it all in the jar, sealed it up, and threw it in the fridge. Looked at the recipe and ingredients, and totally winged it, just like I cook. Looks like it's all coming up roses.

So anyone else here pickle stuff? I think I'm going to get into it a bit more, as I absolutely love anything pickled, and it's a hell of a lot cheaper to do it myself. And besides, I can tailor the tastes to exactly what I want.

Post subject: Re: Pickling
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:26 pm 
* NET Radish *

My son in laws Father makes pickled aspargus and they are wonderful. Finally talked him out of the receipe but the wife has never tried it. Perhaps this year cause there are lots of aspargus out there now a days.

:les:

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:43 am 
NET Veteran

Neighbor gave me some home made pickled Herring the other day. Love that stuff. Never brave enough to make it.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:53 am 
* Natural Rubbing Action *

Evil_Shenanigans wrote:
Neighbor gave me some home made pickled Herring the other day. Love that stuff. Never brave enough to make it.

Yea, I love that stuff too. Usually have a big jar from Costco or Ikea in the fridge. Not sure I'm up for pickling it myself yet.

I did throw in another couple of jars of various garlic/tomatoes/cucumbers/beans, and they look good so far. Hard waiting for them to mature enough to try, but like beer brewing, you just gotta wait.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:08 pm 
NET Veteran

Sounds like a kick ass bloody marry in the making!

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:11 pm 
* NET Radish *

Any of you in the area of Hogue Winery in Prosser they used to have the best line of pickled stuff I've ever found. They have some pickled bells,(various colors of peppers) and they have really good pickled aspargus.

:les:

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:32 pm 
NET Ring Of Honor

After a Temple pre-funk, well then you have that aspect.

Board index » THE NET NATION LOUNGE » [ THE NET LOUNGE ]