Pickling

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Pickling
Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:17 pm
  • I decided on a whim today to pickle some eggs. I love pickled eggs, but they're expensive as hell, and hard(ish) to find. Wife wanted hard boiled eggs and tomatoes for breakfast this morning, so I cooked up an extra amount of eggs, did a little Google foo, and pickled a jar of 'em.

I used a clean pickle jar, and the mix was hot enough going into the jar that it self-sealed, which means I can pull them out of the fridge and store them on the shelf if I want. Doubt they'll last that long. Pickled things generally don't last long around this house.

I chopped all the ingredients besides the eggs into inch-long or smaller chunks, with the thought that such sizes are about the right size to eat some of the zestier ingredients I added: soft-boiled eggs, a smallish white onion, a bunch of green onions, a couple of jalapenos, a generous handful of fresh garlic cloves, bay leaves, minced garlic, flaked hot pepper, pickling spices, cracked black pepper, salt, and sugar.

Boiled it all for about a half an hour in 3/4ths vinegar & 1/4ths water solution, and stuffed it all in the jar, sealed it up, and threw it in the fridge. Looked at the recipe and ingredients, and totally winged it, just like I cook. Looks like it's all coming up roses.

So anyone else here pickle stuff? I think I'm going to get into it a bit more, as I absolutely love anything pickled, and it's a hell of a lot cheaper to do it myself. And besides, I can tailor the tastes to exactly what I want.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Re: Pickling
Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:26 pm
  • My son in laws Father makes pickled aspargus and they are wonderful. Finally talked him out of the receipe but the wife has never tried it. Perhaps this year cause there are lots of aspargus out there now a days.

:les:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:43 am
  • Neighbor gave me some home made pickled Herring the other day. Love that stuff. Never brave enough to make it.
    #NEXTMANUP
    Evil_Shenanigans
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:53 am
  • Evil_Shenanigans wrote:Neighbor gave me some home made pickled Herring the other day. Love that stuff. Never brave enough to make it.

Yea, I love that stuff too. Usually have a big jar from Costco or Ikea in the fridge. Not sure I'm up for pickling it myself yet.

I did throw in another couple of jars of various garlic/tomatoes/cucumbers/beans, and they look good so far. Hard waiting for them to mature enough to try, but like beer brewing, you just gotta wait.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:08 pm
  • Sounds like a kick ass bloody marry in the making!
    #NEXTMANUP
    Evil_Shenanigans
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:11 pm
  • Any of you in the area of Hogue Winery in Prosser they used to have the best line of pickled stuff I've ever found. They have some pickled bells,(various colors of peppers) and they have really good pickled aspargus.

:les:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:32 pm
  • After a Temple pre-funk, well then you have that aspect.
    The new Santa Clara stadium name?..........Dungaree Dump
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:58 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information