Anyone Kickstart Ouya?

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Re: Anyone Kickstart Ouya?
Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:07 pm
  • sammyc521 wrote:That's definitely in their pipeline. There's a few thing that haven't come out yet like how the system will handle external storage but they partnered with media groups to make the device multifunctional.

Basically, they are still in their beta phase due to their promise to get devices out to their backers. The official launch is set for June so that give them two months yo finalize any system operations. Once the modding community at large gets a hold of this I think it will really be awesome.

Big companies and traditional tech sites are looking at this pretty narrowly. What places like xda have done to android devices is nothing short of amazing.

Yeah, my impression is that they've given it little more than the bare minimum for on board storage as a means to keep the price of the unit down. It comes with what, 8GB? That's nothing these days. Seeing as how there's no disk drive and the only means of purchasing games will be through download, you'll fill an 8GB hard drive in no time. I imagine they plan on making it super easy to plug in an external USB hard drive because of just that. Not having a big old mechanical hard drive in there like the PSXBOXs do probably had a lot to do with keeping the overall size of the units to a minimum too which should save them a few bucks in shipping.

I gotta say, I do have some reservations that the Ouya will deliver but I'm SUPER interested to see what it actually looks like. The Ouya itself might not survive, but it will more than likely be a big game changer...
    So you're admitting I'm a celeb...
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:19 pm
  • For $99 for them to provide anymore more than what they already have is impressive; this device includes a controller. That's probably the biggest selling point of the Ouya.

Now for those that want to compare it to the big-consoles are looking at it poorly. This device will live and die because of the small-time developer market. Big-name companies can join the frey but I have yet to see them be big players even in the mobile market. The best selling mobile game of all-time is Angry Birds followed by many non-big name developers.

A company like Gameloft, Rovio, and Zynga will see greater success. The Ouya may not survive this first rendition, but it's got enough backing from not only the public but from stores like Gamestop and Amazon.com. Obviously they've got a solid product or their sales team is strong to sell an underwhelming product (which I don't believe).
    "Go for Broke" - 442nd Japanese-American Battalion

Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

"YOU POST...TO WIN...thethread." JesterHawk
    sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:20 pm
  • Gameloft actually makes some pretty good shit. NOVA 2 is actually a really good game!
    So you're admitting I'm a celeb...
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:52 pm
  • I don't disagree at all. EA's claim that it's not on their radar shows that they unwillingness to invest in porting over their current mobile games to the Ouya is a testament to poor thinking. All they need is controller mapping. That is something they should strive to provide if they want to make their mobile game market a more fulfilling venture. People may not scoff at spending $0.99-$4.99 like they do when a game retails for $60... but for a company as large as EA it would be a minimal investment with great exposure.

I know that I've downloaded plenty of Android demos and spent the $0.99-$4.99 on their full-version even though my play the second time through may be very limited.
    "Go for Broke" - 442nd Japanese-American Battalion

Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

"YOU POST...TO WIN...thethread." JesterHawk
    sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:01 am
  • sammyc521 wrote:I know that I've downloaded plenty of Android demos and spent the $0.99-$4.99 on their full-version even though my play the second time through may be very limited.

I've paid $60 for the same experience. When I can finish a single player campaign in under 10 hours and there isn't an engaging multiplayer option you can bet I'll think twice before I buy a game from that studio again. However, my expectations are generally pretty low on a $.99 investment and I am almost always pleasantly surprised by the longevity of most of those games.
    President of the Perfect Parents Society - est. 2013
    JesterHawk
    * Smackmeister *

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:31 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information