Why I like Google more than Apple.

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Why I like Google more than Apple.
Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:51 am
  • Google just announced the Open Patent Non-Assertion (OPN) Pledge, a new initiative whereby the company has promised not to sue developers, distributors, and users of open source software utilizing Mountain View's patents "unless first attacked." In introducing the good faith effort, Google is reiterating its passion and support for all things open. "Open-source software has been at the root of many innovations in cloud computing, the mobile web, and the Internet generally," writes Duane Valz, Google's senior patent counsel. "We remain committed to an open Internet — one that protects real innovation and continues to deliver great products and services."

More...
    President of the Perfect Parents Society - est. 2013
    JesterHawk
    * Smackmeister *

Re: Why I like Google more than Apple.
Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:23 am
  • Your subject implies that you like Apple, just not as much as Google. Say it ain't so, Jester!

In all seriousness, this is awesome; and Google gives me another reason to keep feeding at their virtual schlong-trough.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:40 am
  • I loath Apple as well.
    "Are we rockin' and rollin' or what?!''

-- Seattle coach Pete Carroll, celebrating with his coaches after the Seahawks pulled off a trade with the Jets, netting running back Leon Washington on Saturday, via Seahawks.com
    MLOhawks
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:41 am
  • The more than /less than comparison still allows for negative numbers, correct?
    President of the Perfect Parents Society - est. 2013
    JesterHawk
    * Smackmeister *

Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:08 pm
  • JesterHawk wrote:The more than /less than comparison still allows for negative numbers, correct?

Well, technically, but your phrasing leaves a lot to be desired. Kind of like a supermodel in a parka and snow pants.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:34 pm
  • Thank you Google.

Even though Google is a huge company with a huge (and effective) legal team. They know what's best for technology (the ability for people to make shit).

Apple on the other hand patents just about everything to sue later.
    I enjoy ruining threads by making them about personal attacks and then commenting about how personal attacks make the other person's argument invalid.

:les:
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:51 pm
  • Apple has the RIAA/MPAA ideology, Google has the awesome ideology. Plain and simple.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:07 pm
  • That's great. Apple will soon fall into the Microsoft pitfall of corporate greed, and slowly sink into the quagmire (giggity) while Google continues its dominance
    Les - "Mark, you're my favorite player"
    Mark - "Mine too!"
    RockHawk
    * NET Landlord *

Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:11 pm
  • Then again, Google just started charging for Google Apps for Business. Get way more with Office 365 for less money.

Sorry Googs!
    I enjoy ruining threads by making them about personal attacks and then commenting about how personal attacks make the other person's argument invalid.

:les:
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:24 pm
  • Yeah, but has MS's version proven reliable enough to power entire statewide government infrastructures like Google Apps?
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:37 am
  • SonicHawk wrote:Then again, Google just started charging for Google Apps for Business. Get way more with Office 365 for less money.

Sorry Googs!

Office365 has horrible performance & reliability. We moved back out and into a hybrid model after they had 3 outages of more than 4 hours each just in the last 8 months. Can't run a business like that.

If they shore up their infrastructure and get some semblance of reliability, I'd be inclined to agree with you.
    Les - "Mark, you're my favorite player"
    Mark - "Mine too!"
    RockHawk
    * NET Landlord *

Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:03 am
  • RockHawk wrote:
    SonicHawk wrote:Then again, Google just started charging for Google Apps for Business. Get way more with Office 365 for less money.

Sorry Googs!

Office365 has horrible performance & reliability. We moved back out and into a hybrid model after they had 3 outages of more than 4 hours each just in the last 8 months. Can't run a business like that.

If they shore up their infrastructure and get some semblance of reliability, I'd be inclined to agree with you.

Can't say I'm all that impressed with the performance of Google Business Apps either. Been on their infrastructure for about 1.5 years now and it's not what I would consider awesome by any stretch of the imagination. I have 20 branch offices and our corporate operations consisting of 350ish users running on it with varying degrees of happiness as I've gone through the process. It's ok, just not what I expected it to be.
    Anguish
    * NET Developer *

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:46 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information