Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » THE NET NATION LOUNGE » [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Post subject: Truckee, Ca. - Tell me about it.
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:44 pm 
* NET Alumni *

I'll be interviewing for a job in Truckee as a career transfer and promotion. There's so many pro's and con's to weigh.

Scared shitless of higher taxes but excited about shorter winters. I love my job now and created a niche for myself but there's no promotion potential, just the hope of a cost of living adjustment which has been frozen for 3 years now. I love Alaska. It's my home. I was born here. But as I get older, the winters are getting longer.

The promotion would be a wash financially with the higher sales, income and property taxes but the potential for higher earnings remain. I would go from managing myself in my niche to an office staff of 9 people and a half million dollar budget. Supervising is not a problem, I've been a Staff Sergeant in the Air Force and in my current job when my boss is gone. I'm not so sure about the budgetary issues, regulatory issues and cooperator meetings that would come. Right now I go to work and veg my way through another day (yes I'm still quite productive) and it gets old. I've chugged through 17 years and have 13 to go to the big R. I'm in no hurry as I would be 60 then and Les would be a footnote in history. Change is exciting. It gives the brain a chance to reset.

Anyway, any personal experiences about the area would be cool. I'll figure out the small shit.

Post subject: Re: Truckee, Ca. - Tell me about it.
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:53 pm 
* Natural Rubbing Action *

It's the last place you cool your brakes off and get coffee and gas before rolling on down the hill to blow your wads of cash in Reno. I do believe it has a bar, though, so it's got that goin' for it.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:58 pm 
NET Ring Of Honor

Do it.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:08 pm 
* El Primo *
* El Primo *

There's always room for one more adventure.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:13 pm 
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Paying close yo 13-14% in state income tax blows. You most certainly feel it. Truckee is no paradise. If you lije where you are and they make you happy you stay.

That said I recently grabbed my nuts took a chance leaving a very comfortable and succesful situation for an adventure. No regrets.

Is that enough of a mixed message?

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:25 pm 
* NET News Scoop *
* NET News Scoop *

Small town, not much there. High altitude, lot of snow. Maybe close enough that you could live on the Nevada side instead of California. Maybe save some in taxes.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:27 pm 
*Host of .NET Awards*

Hey, if you like getting snowed in and having ice related auto accidents have at it. I'll visit you in the summer and we'll go grab a beer.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:19 pm 
NET Veteran

Great little diner called the squeeze in there. Great breakfast. About 30 minutes or so from the Reno area. Just get a place in summerset outside of Reno and commute into work to save on taxes.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:32 am 
NET Veteran

I can't help you out too much, as I've only been there for a day, and that was a few years ago, but from what I remember the town and area was fun and I actually thought it would be a cool place to live. Now, I was there in June, and the weather was great, so maybe winters suck, but some buddies and I found some cool things to do around town, like play on a frisbee golf course. It's a small town, but what I heard there's no shortage of activities you can do around there.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:46 am 
* NET Radish *

Having the winters suck would not be a problem for ZN, hell he lives in Anchorage now. I like the idea of maybe living across a state line to maybe save on taxes.

I understand your having a hard time making the decision. At about that age I realized I'd bounced around most of my life and it cost me any decent kind of retirement. But I did have some great adventures cause my sales experience and record was always in demand.

It sucked coming down off that hill beyond age 50 and realizing I needed to stay at a job whether I liked it or not. But the life prior to that wasn't bad.

Go with your heart.

:th2thumbs:

Board index » THE NET NATION LOUNGE » [ THE NET LOUNGE ]