Truckee, Ca. - Tell me about it.

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Truckee, Ca. - Tell me about it.
Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:44 pm
  • I'll be interviewing for a job in Truckee as a career transfer and promotion. There's so many pro's and con's to weigh.

Scared shitless of higher taxes but excited about shorter winters. I love my job now and created a niche for myself but there's no promotion potential, just the hope of a cost of living adjustment which has been frozen for 3 years now. I love Alaska. It's my home. I was born here. But as I get older, the winters are getting longer.

The promotion would be a wash financially with the higher sales, income and property taxes but the potential for higher earnings remain. I would go from managing myself in my niche to an office staff of 9 people and a half million dollar budget. Supervising is not a problem, I've been a Staff Sergeant in the Air Force and in my current job when my boss is gone. I'm not so sure about the budgetary issues, regulatory issues and cooperator meetings that would come. Right now I go to work and veg my way through another day (yes I'm still quite productive) and it gets old. I've chugged through 17 years and have 13 to go to the big R. I'm in no hurry as I would be 60 then and Les would be a footnote in history. Change is exciting. It gives the brain a chance to reset.

Anyway, any personal experiences about the area would be cool. I'll figure out the small shit.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: DE Cassius Marsh
    XxxZagnutxxX
    * NET Alumni *

Re: Truckee, Ca. - Tell me about it.
Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:53 pm
  • It's the last place you cool your brakes off and get coffee and gas before rolling on down the hill to blow your wads of cash in Reno. I do believe it has a bar, though, so it's got that goin' for it.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:58 pm
  • Do it.
    Hey Cardinals..........The FUN is OVER !!!
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:08 pm
  • There's always room for one more adventure.
    If you're walking on thin ice, you might as well dance.................................................Mom
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *
    * El Primo *

Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:13 pm
  • Paying close yo 13-14% in state income tax blows. You most certainly feel it. Truckee is no paradise. If you lije where you are and they make you happy you stay.

That said I recently grabbed my nuts took a chance leaving a very comfortable and succesful situation for an adventure. No regrets.

Is that enough of a mixed message?
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:25 pm
  • Small town, not much there. High altitude, lot of snow. Maybe close enough that you could live on the Nevada side instead of California. Maybe save some in taxes.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:27 pm
  • Hey, if you like getting snowed in and having ice related auto accidents have at it. I'll visit you in the summer and we'll go grab a beer.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:19 pm
  • Great little diner called the squeeze in there. Great breakfast. About 30 minutes or so from the Reno area. Just get a place in summerset outside of Reno and commute into work to save on taxes.
    sturg78
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:32 am
  • I can't help you out too much, as I've only been there for a day, and that was a few years ago, but from what I remember the town and area was fun and I actually thought it would be a cool place to live. Now, I was there in June, and the weather was great, so maybe winters suck, but some buddies and I found some cool things to do around town, like play on a frisbee golf course. It's a small town, but what I heard there's no shortage of activities you can do around there.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:46 am
  • Having the winters suck would not be a problem for ZN, hell he lives in Anchorage now. I like the idea of maybe living across a state line to maybe save on taxes.

I understand your having a hard time making the decision. At about that age I realized I'd bounced around most of my life and it cost me any decent kind of retirement. But I did have some great adventures cause my sales experience and record was always in demand.

It sucked coming down off that hill beyond age 50 and realizing I needed to stay at a job whether I liked it or not. But the life prior to that wasn't bad.

Go with your heart.

:th2thumbs:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:42 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information