Speculative fiction's best "Doctor"?

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13

Best "Doc":

Who
39%
Brown
9%
Ock
No votes
Evil
4%
Jones
35%
Other
13%

Total votes : 23

Re: Speculative fiction's best "Doctor"?
Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:33 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Seahawk Sailor wrote:Me too. But House ain't exactly speculative fiction.

Yet Dr. Jones is speculative? I'd argue that if Jones makes the list, so does House.

"Speculative fiction is an umbrella term encompassing the more fantastical fiction genres, specifically science fiction, fantasy, horror, weird fiction, supernatural fiction, superhero fiction, utopian and dystopian fiction, apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic fiction, and alternate history in literature as well as related static, motion, and virtual arts."

I'd say Indiana Jones, with elements of the supernatural and alternate history fit perfectly into this description. All of the movies contain tropes vital to speculative fiction - the Ark of the Covenant, evil magic, the Holy Grail, alien skulls, etc, all with special magical/spiritual powers. All are pointedly much more than just artifacts.

Doctor House, while a great show, contains only questionable medicine practices and sketchy hypothetical diagnoses, and even if they're fantastical in a sense, the show's premise is completely grounded in the reality we know.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:45 pm
  • Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:52 pm

Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:56 pm
  • I think you're splitting hairs a bit there, Sailor, but I'll grant you the point. Not necessarily agreeing with it, but I get where you're coming from. While much of the fantastical in Indiana Jones qualifies it, frankly, those points were very minor in the films themselves. They were all about Indy kicking Nazi arse on big adventures. :)
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:26 pm
  • Sure, but the best speculative fiction has speculative elements only to advance the plot forward. See Firefly, for example. The starships and terraformed planets were just scenery to a bunch of misfits trying to make due in a world that didn't agree with their sense of morality. And the ultimate goal of each of Indy's adventures was to "recover a magical artifact of rare value."

Ooo, and speaking of which, I forgot Doctor Simon Tam!
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:48 pm
  • Way to project your excessive simplification onto my minor one. :)
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:38 pm
  • Dr. Jones would be my pick, but I'm a horror film fan, too, so I'd throw Dr. Hannibal Lector's name into the pot.

And in far less fiction, yet made famous by Hollywood, I'd add Doc Holliday, Tombstone-style.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:44 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information