Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » THE NET NATION LOUNGE » [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Post subject: Car Max?
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:22 am 
* Just Chillin' *

Anybody had experience with them? Are they any good to buy from?

Post subject: Re: Car Max?
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:18 pm 
NET Ring Of Honor

Whachagonna buy Rasta?

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:50 pm 
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Used car lots are used car lots.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:51 pm 
NET Veteran

Never bought from them, feel I can negotiate a better price elsewhere.

Have sold them 2 vehicles without buying. They offered better than I could get as a trade-in and it was a simple transaction.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:20 pm 
* Just Chillin' *

Largent80 wrote:
Whachagonna buy Rasta?

You know how I roll - top o line lady pleezin' playa mobile 8)

So..... probably a white or silver Toyota Camry or Honda Accord. My wife's Mini Van is killing us on gas. I need something that gets at least 30 mpg highway.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:22 pm 
* Just Chillin' *

DTexHawk wrote:
Never bought from them, feel I can negotiate a better price elsewhere.

Have sold them 2 vehicles without buying. They offered better than I could get as a trade-in and it was a simple transaction.

Hmmm I wonder if they'd give me a decent trade for our gas guzzling mini van. I will have to give it a go.

BTW prob my first time buying foreign. Always owned American! I might even end up with a Taurus or Fusion it all depends on the price. As much as I love the Chargers but holy crap they are very expensive!

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:17 pm 
NET Ring Of Honor

So you are looking for a sedan. If that is the case you are already on the right track. I am going to invest in a new crossover/small SUV with a 4 banger. Good mileage and new. Tired of driving old crap.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:23 pm 
NET Ring Of Honor

Ford's are getting high ratings for a few years now. Just sayin

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:48 am 
NET Veteran

Largent80 wrote:
So you are looking for a sedan. If that is the case you are already on the right track. I am going to invest in a new crossover/small SUV with a 4 banger. Good mileage and new. Tired of driving old crap.

if you are looking new(er) you have to drive the impreza sport wagon. I damn near bought that car when I was looking about a month ago, but I really didn't want a hatch after being in a GTI for 15 years. great, great driving machine.

edit: Rasta, If you are looking at econobox cars, i just bought a Lancer GTS and I'd say its worth a test drive at least. Im getting 300 plus miles a tank and i don't even drive on the freeway.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:10 am 
* Just Chillin' *

Those Lancers look pretty slick. Might have to take a closer look. But I can't take my eyes off the Chargers though. I am trying to talk myself out of it. Been looking at the Passat's too but VW's are notorious for higher priced replacement parts and service.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:16 am 
* Just Chillin' *

Largent80 wrote:
Tired of driving old crap.

Tell me about it. I have a '99 and an '02. Both have cassette players! My wife's is an '06 and that's the one killing us. I think I've held out long enough. Time for something new.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:29 am 
NET Ring Of Honor

I have 3 payments left on my bike, and was thinking what to do with the extra money every month, well?.... :lol:

But I need something big enough to fit my drum kit in without being too big. I have been eyeing the Hyundai Santa Fe, or the Forester....any other ideas?

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:58 am 
NET Ring Of Honor

Actually I was at Consumer Reports and am looking at all the small SUV's, the Ford Escape looks and sounds pretty nice.

Crap, maybe I should do what Houstonhawk said and get a chevy SS.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:28 am 
NET Ring Of Honor

By the way, I saw a piece on ABC evening news about Carfax, and how they found that a vehicle they said had never been in a wreck , had indeed been in a wreck so don't believe that B.S.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:48 am 
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Fords are the best cars on the market.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:01 am 
NET Practice Squad

I bought my Jeep from carmax in 2009. It has been a very nice addition with one major problem. The transmission failed after 18 months. But I don't blame carmax at all. I failed to have an independent mechanic look it over before buying. Lesson learned. I was outside my warranty so the repair fell on me. But all in all I had a good experience and I'm still in the jeep. So I would buy from them again.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:35 am 
NET Veteran

rastahawk wrote:
Those Lancers look pretty slick. Might have to take a closer look. But I can't take my eyes off the Chargers though. I am trying to talk myself out of it. Been looking at the Passat's too but VW's are notorious for higher priced replacement parts and service.

Thanks, I dig the looks as well. I had super good luck with my VW, even bolted a supercharger on it for a while, but when the repairs started, they came in waves. I had my car in the shop 4 times in 2012 and when I had to take it back in Feb. I was looking at plugs, wires, and coil to the tune of $1200 bucks. Thats when I bailed. Now I can change a spark plug, but if you ever tried to work on a VR6 you would rather pay someone else to do it. Changing the water pump? Drop the engine. Might be better on the Passat since its a much bigger car, but I doubt it.

Stay away from the Chargers. If you go look at them, you will end up wanting the SRT and those are running big bucks. Dang fine looking car. I started out my search driving the new Dart, loaded with options that is a pretty nice car too.

anyhoo, not an auto writer or anything but here is my story from last month...

http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=65464

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:13 pm 
* NET Sports Handicapper *

Carmax is a decent place to buy a car if you a) don't know what you want and need a good selection, or b) you know exactly what you want, but the car you want is hard to find. What I mean by that is somewhere in the current or remote lot, your car probably exists. If it's not on your local lot, they have a pretty reasonable (free, maybe?) price to bring it to you - without a requirement to buy it first.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:45 am 
* Dirty Harry *
* Dirty Harry *

Car Max: High prices with no wiggling or haggling. Limited finance options requiring high down payments. Too many overhead costs and mouths to feed. Vehicles purchased at auctions and quickly run through the shop to seal leaks and detail them. Mechanics in their shops are dealership rejects who smoke too much weed on lunch breaks. Company policies dictate EVERYTHING personnel do and canned responses to every question.

Buy your used cars from a mainstream new-car dealership off their trade-in lots. Go to a Lexus, Range Rover, Jaguar, Cadillac, Mercedes (et al) dealership and look at what the affluent types have traded in to get into one of the more expensive luxury vehicles. Affluent clients tend to keep MUCH better care of their vehicles than the average person. Cars/trucks traded in by folks who never have had a problem coming up with the cash to fix them, are the best vehicles to find. Period.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:00 am 
NET Veteran

HoustonHawk82 wrote:
Car Max: High prices with no wiggling or haggling. Limited finance options requiring high down payments. Too many overhead costs and mouths to feed. Vehicles purchased at auctions and quickly run through the shop to seal leaks and detail them. Mechanics in their shops are dealership rejects who smoke too much weed on lunch breaks. Company policies dictate EVERYTHING personnel do and canned responses to every question.

Buy your used cars from a mainstream new-car dealership off their trade-in lots. Go to a Lexus, Range Rover, Jaguar, Cadillac, Mercedes (et al) dealership and look at what the affluent types have traded in to get into one of the more expensive luxury vehicles. Affluent clients tend to keep MUCH better care of their vehicles than the average person. Cars/trucks traded in by folks who never have had a problem coming up with the cash to fix them, are the best vehicles to find. Period.

damn....someone just laid the smackdown!

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:31 am 
NET Ring Of Honor

We test drove a 2013 Ford Escape SE with the 2.0 turbo engine yesterday. Man, that machine drives awesome for what it is, and it feels like you are piloting a spaceship. We are considering pulling the trigger. Only in RED

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:39 am 
* Just Chillin' *

HoustonHawk82 wrote:

I've always found the auto industry to be highly dishonest and frustrating. It most of my experiences they are really intent on screwing you. The sad part about it all is that it constitutes a major purchase in peoples lives and yet they are hell bent on kicking you in the nuts.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:46 am 
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

HoustonHawk82 wrote:

All great information, though it's fair to mention that often times, vehicles traded into high end dealerships are sold into the auction circuit, even if that dealer has a pre-owned lot. When I bought my Infiniti, I applied a similar school of thought to yours and looked around at high end dealerships for pre-owned inventory. Most of the dealerships I visited sold most of their trade-ins on the auction circuit, allowing relatively few (typically just the best of the best) to make it to the pre-owned lot. The result was a car lot filled with $25k+ rides. They were more than willing to haggle, though, as I managed to roll away with my G35 for $16,500 cash (5k under their sticker price).

Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:40 pm 
NET Ring Of Honor

We are actually going through our credit union which has a service that handles all the haggling and gets the best price by FAR and at 9.8 % apr.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:15 am 
* Dirty Harry *
* Dirty Harry *

From what I gather, the availability of better-maintained vehicles really depends on what is actually moving in that particular geographic region. For example, down here in Texas, pickup trucks of all makes retain their value at an incredible rate. Not the best place to by one here, but if one ventures out, you can find the exact color and options you want with ease in this market.

I'm also seeing a spike in folks finding what they are looking for on eBay Motors. Surprisingly, shipping companies that specialize in cross-country moves of vehicles are not as expensive as some would be led to believe. Several of my clients have found specific cars for very fair prices using eBay anhd will swear its the best way to go. Lots of good pictures and info posted within the listings, and the protection of strict policies favoring the buyer.

Board index » THE NET NATION LOUNGE » [ THE NET LOUNGE ]