Job process question...

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Job process question...
Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:05 pm
  • So I received a call today from a recruiter out of a big hospital's HR office regarding a job I applied to last week as a clinical data coordinator. Entry-levelish job in medicine for a fairly recent grad. I spent the past few months prepping for physician assistant school interviews/visits unemployed after leaving the job I got right out of college but unfortunately didn't get accepted to the programs...so now I am back looking for work. The convo went great for 5-10 minutes until the end when I explained what I had been doing during my time unemployed meeting with faculty, visiting the campuses, etc. It then got uncomfortable, she said she was looking through interview time slots, then said she had to speak with other people about their schedules and would get back to me quickly. Never called me back. I will call back tomorrow afternoon if she still hasn't followed up.

Do recruiters actually call back after or was that a subtle hint that she lost interest? I don't want to lie about why I have been unemployed since I was actively trying to get into programs but should I have answered it differently? She sounded interested/nice for what it's worth and can't tell if I am worrying over nothing. Gonna feel like an idiot if she calls back early tomorrow after stressing out all day. I haven't had much experience applying for 'real world' type jobs since the one I got before graduating was more or less a paid internship and this is the second to show any interest at all. Any advice really for this process would be helpful.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Re: Job process question...
Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:29 pm
  • You screwed up by offering too many details. HR people aren't looking for a reason to hire you, they're looking for a reason NOT to. Next time, if asked just say that you left your last job to try and get into PA school, but that it didn't work out. Leave it at that.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:26 am
  • GeekHawk wrote:You screwed up by offering too many details. HR people aren't looking for a reason to hire you, they're looking for a reason NOT to. Next time, if asked just say that you left your last job to try and get into PA school, but that it didn't work out. Leave it at that.

Yeah, this. In your case, she heard: I'm looking to further my education which might mean I'm a short term hire. Or, if I continue my education while working, I'll expect pay raises.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:32 pm
  • Yep, you said too much. Learn from it and move on.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:54 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information