Linux Techies

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Linux Techies
Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:15 pm
  • Hey all, have been doing some career retooling lately and after kicking some things around started a IT Security & Assurance program. Upside: Fun. Downside: Cisco lab courses in flex time is major drinking from the firehose.

Anyway, since I'm headed that way in a semester or two I got a jump start with Linux. Tried a few distros out, but in the end I'm following a sizeable chunk of the flock with Mint. Got most of my stuff set up (Printer was a bitch. Epson and Linux aren't best buds.). Already wondering if I should've set up the bigger partition for the Linux side -- I had to dual boot for various reasons. Since 'wife complaint' was one of the reasons, other reasons are irrelevant.

Any tips for a solid new setup from Linux pros? What are y'all running? I came .........this......... close to going with openSUSE based on its performance off the USB, but ended up with Mint 14 Cinnamon.
    TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Re: Linux Techies
Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:26 pm
  • If you really want to learn Linux, try Arch Linux. It's basically a completely customizable distribution. But if you REALLY want to learn Linux, don't follow that guide! Hah.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:01 pm
  • I always use (100+ servers currently, including this site) CentOS which is just the community version of Redhat Enterprise Linux.
    Anguish
    * NET Developer *

Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:23 pm
  • If you're looking to learn Linux security, you may want to take the hard path and not install a GUI. Command line only. It'll force you to learn things the way you really need to learn them. Real men don't administer Linux servers or security with a mouse. ;) CentOS is the best option there is if you're looking to combine "free" and "enterprise", though arguably you'll have a better support (i.e., searching Google and forums) community with Ubuntu server, instead...Due to its popularity in general. I'd still recommend what Anguish does, though. CentOS.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:30 pm
  • Yeah, I'm headed that way in due course. For now I plan to babystep with a friendly distro to keep myself from brain overload, haha. Currently carrying 14 hours with IOS, a programming course, bunch of CCNA stuff in general... while working 50 a week, plus wife/kids/fricking dog/band. Get tired just typing it out.

Hell, i already spend as much time in Mint's shell as I do in the shiny gui. No need to make things harder just yet.
    TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:11 pm
  • I'm serious. Your step before CentOS and after Mint should be Arch Linux. The guide makes it pretty straightforward to install, but it still would help familiarize you further with the inner workings of the operating system.

When you get to choosing a desktop environment/window manager, you should try one of the *box window managers (ie Openbox, Fluxbox, Blackbox) since they aren't as straight-out-of-the-box as environments like Gnome and KDE.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:19 pm
  • I'm learning Linux via Oracle's VirtualBox (my PC runs Win), and have a Fedora emulator running in it.
    "Are we rockin' and rollin' or what?!''

-- Seattle coach Pete Carroll, celebrating with his coaches after the Seahawks pulled off a trade with the Jets, netting running back Leon Washington on Saturday, via Seahawks.com
    MLOhawks
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:26 pm
  • I would choose a distribution 'tree' (Redhat/Debian/Slackware) and then stick with it no matter how far toward command line only you go since they do things differently, stores things in different places, and have some intricacies that are version distro oriented. I work almost entirely on Redhat based distros (CentOS/Fedora/Redhat Enterprise), so even though I can get onto a Debian based box (Ubuntu/Debian/Knoppix) and be plenty effective, I find myself doing an awful lot of searching around for shit that I just 'know' on my distro flavor of choice...

GUIs suck a TON of resources that are not necessary. Init level 3 only...
    Anguish
    * NET Developer *

Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:05 pm
  • Ugh, I'm wishing I'd made the partition bigger. Will have to go back and take some more space away from the Win7 partition if I can't talk the wife into just saying 'Screw Windows Altogether'.

Don't think I can ditch it -just- yet. Haven't found a good way to get packet tracer running smoothly on the new OS, blah blah class-specific stuff, wife stuff, excuse excuse, etc. Can't do it at the moment, but definitely heading that way in the near future.

Updating/installing software via the command line is absurdly more efficient.
    TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:51 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information