Musicians in the house?

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Re: Musicians in the house?
Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:52 pm
  • Man, go back and listen to Wierd Al's stuff. He was a HUGE influence on guys like Michael Jackson, Coolio, Eminem, Madonna, Nirvana.... just amazing that all of those people basically ripped off his music.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:05 pm
  • true story.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:07 pm
  • You guys are so dumb. Weird Al copied THEM.

So dumb, sooo dumb. I now hate each of you.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:23 pm
  • pehawk wrote:You guys are so dumb. Weird Al copied THEM.

What? Impossible. Stop trolling. Seriously, it's weak as hell.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:47 pm
  • I always think of "Dare to be stupid" which was making fun of Devo, years later Mr. Mothersbaugh said he would kill to write a song that good, the ultimate show of respect.
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:00 pm
  • dunceface wrote:Weird Al> Beethoven

I hope you don't mean the Beethoven movies, cuz those are classic! Oh the mischief!
    "it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *

Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:01 pm
  • Also George Michael is the greatest singer in the history of man
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *

Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:03 pm
  • Soothes the soul
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *

Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:13 pm
  • OMG George Michael is AMAZEBALLS!!!
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:22 pm
  • pehawk wrote:You guys are so dumb. Weird Al copied THEM.

I don't even understand the words that's comin outta your mouth right now bro bro. I'm feeling a little confused about all this.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:17 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:
    pehawk wrote:You guys are so dumb. Weird Al copied THEM.

What? Impossible. Stop trolling. Seriously, it's weak as hell.

every one that copied Weird Al over the years came clean in 2010 in an online chat room all at once and it was widely documented in youtube comment threads that anyone that doesnt know about this is themselves a troll.

im surprised you guys dint know that :roll: :roll: :roll:
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:20 am
  • Hawk Strap wrote:Also George Michael is the greatest singer in the history of man

Wham is also the greatest rock/pop duo in the history and future of rock and roll
    CHANGED THE GAME.
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:34 am
  • 1. Michael Jackson
    2. Frank Sinatra
    3. George Michael
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:44 am
  • I dunno about the rest of you, even as a hip hop head I'm excited about that Jimi Hendrix album thats out today...
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:23 am
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:1. Michael Jackson
    2. Frank Sinatra
    3. George Michael

So dumb. Where's Rick Astley?
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:31 am
  • Largent80 wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:drums are more of an instrument than the guitar

:roll:

OK wise guy, come to L.A. and sit in for me. And I'll shred guitar while you miserably fail.

While you fail at logic.

You being able to play drums and guitars better than anyone else has nothing to do with the difficulty of either.

Drums and guitars are both instruments, how can one of them be more of an instrument?

You are a bad-ass guitar player though:

And this post is not directed at anyone personally.
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:58 am
  • that's umm....that's a bass, DTex.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:14 am
  • Bass? Who cares, kip. Look who's playing the insturment; Weird Al. Umm, kind of germane, Kip!

So dumb, soooo dumb. I hate all of you.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:28 am
  • pehawk wrote:Bass? Who cares, kip. Look who's playing the insturment; Weird Al. Umm, kind of germane, Kip!

So dumb, soooo dumb. I hate all of you.

Come on, rob. Stop with all the hate. Also, that picture was taken when Weird Al was recording a song in 1965 called 'With a little help from my friends'. Sound familiar, Rob?
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:35 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:that's umm....that's a bass, DTex.

Right, a bass guitar.

Thanks for your input.
    And this post is not directed at anyone personally.
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:02 am
  • Whoever thinks those who produce hip hop aren't musicians have probably never had to program an Akai MPC or spend hours trying to track out a series of notes they hear in their head. Programming these devices is effectively the same exact thing as writing sheet music. Someone who writes sheet music is a musician, so why not someone who programs their song into a sequencer? Sounds like a clear cut case of short sighted condescension to me.

It's kinda sad that there are some who would take an elitist stance on music when the crap they listen to qualifies for the "oldies" bin at any record store. That's not to say we should ignore the classics, but lots of great music has been composed since that time. Jus' sayin'.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:08 am
  • pehawk wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:
    dunceface wrote:Too lazy

Which explains hip-hop and rap 100%.

Yeah, because hair band music is way better than Outkast, for example. You sound like your parents describing Elvis' gyrating hips or something. Uggh.

Great stuff, Todd.

Good point. If Rob were to take Outkast at face value, he would write them off as just another hip-hop act, but that would belie the truth, which is Antwan "Big Boy" Patton and Andre "Andre 3000" Benjamin are multi instrumentalists who could easily put most musicians to shame with their skill. Admittedly, their technical breadth is not shared among many others in the hip-hop community, but they are undoubtedly some of the most talented musicians in the business. I just wish they would get their shit together and produce another record. Andre 3000 needs to give up the acting gig already.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:33 am
  • SmokinHawk wrote:Whoever thinks those who produce hip hop aren't musicians have probably never had to program an Akai MPC or spend hours trying to track out a series of notes they hear in their head. Programming these devices is effectively the same exact thing as writing sheet music. Someone who writes sheet music is a musician, so why not someone who programs their song into a sequencer? Sounds like a clear cut case of short sighted condescension to me.

It's kinda sad that there are some who would take an elitist stance on music when the crap they listen to qualifies for the "oldies" bin at any record store. That's not to say we should ignore the classics, but lots of great music has been composed since that time. Jus' sayin'.

if they aren't playing the actual notes through some sort of instrument, how can they be considered a musician.. they're not playing anything.. pretty sure most people who can read/write music play some sort of instrument... i'm not taking anything away from the creative/artist point of view, just don't consider them musicians... besides you don't have to read/write music to be a musician..

if that makes me condescending or short sighted, guess i am.
    Last edited by hawker84 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:35 am
  • and if Andre and Big Boy can play instruments, then they're musicians and very talented artist no doubt...
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:46 am
  • hawker84 wrote:
    SmokinHawk wrote:Whoever thinks those who produce hip hop aren't musicians have probably never had to program an Akai MPC or spend hours trying to track out a series of notes they hear in their head. Programming these devices is effectively the same exact thing as writing sheet music. Someone who writes sheet music is a musician, so why not someone who programs their song into a sequencer? Sounds like a clear cut case of short sighted condescension to me.

if they aren't playing the actual notes through some sort of instrument, how can they be considered a musician.. they're not playing anything.. pretty sure most people who can read/write music play some sort of instrument... i'm not taking anything away from the creative/artist point of view, just don't consider them musicians... besides you don't have to read/write music to be a musician..

It does make you short sighted because what comprises an instrument seems to be a matter of your subjective opinion. It's not like you or Rob could just pick up an Akai MPC and program a masterpiece on it without first developing an extreme familiarity (read: practice) with the device, learning its quirks, learning how to shape the sounds it makes (you know, like bending strings on a guitar).

How about we go with the actual dictionary definition of "musician", rather than your personal opinion? (this is per www.dictionary.com)

dictionary.com wrote:mu·si·cian [myoo-zish-uhn]
    noun
    1. a person who makes music a profession, especially as a performer of music.
    2. any person, whether professional or not, skilled in music.

So, given this definition of the word, how do hip-hop artists not qualify? Seems to me that if someone makes music, they are a musician.

SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:48 am
  • Music doesn't have to be good to be considered music. Musicians don't have to be good to be considered musicians. And just because the process has evolved doesn't make it any less music.

I appreciate somebody who can write music and play an instrument. Believe me, I do. I understand that it's a completely different skill set than somebody who can write lyrics and sing or rap. But being able to write and record a song from nothing, from an idea or an inspiration, no matter what tools you used or how you got there, IMO makes you a musician.

That said, I know hundreds of rappers and there's but a handful that I would actually consider musicians.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:52 am
  • hawker84 wrote:
    SmokinHawk wrote:Whoever thinks those who produce hip hop aren't musicians have probably never had to program an Akai MPC or spend hours trying to track out a series of notes they hear in their head. Programming these devices is effectively the same exact thing as writing sheet music. Someone who writes sheet music is a musician, so why not someone who programs their song into a sequencer? Sounds like a clear cut case of short sighted condescension to me.

So I guess what you're saying is, someone with a Motif keyboard, hooked up to their MPC, or other sound racks hooked up to a midi controller aren't really musicians even though they're actually out there playing those keys? I don't get it.

As for Sampling (taking parts from a song and basically recreating it) I can see your point, but theres also the point of putting your own drum loops over it, through the MPC or any other method. Is that creating music? Are you just creating organized noise at that point?
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:04 am
  • Throwdown wrote:
    hawker84 wrote:

So I guess what you're saying is, someone with a Motif keyboard, hooked up to their MPC, or other sound racks hooked up to a midi controller aren't really musicians even though they're actually out there playing those keys? I don't get it.

As for Sampling (taking parts from a song and basically recreating it) I can see your point, but theres also the point of putting your own drum loops over it, through the MPC or any other method. Is that creating music? Are you just creating organized noise at that point?

Sampling is a tool used by musicians, in my opinion. Relying too heavily on sampling is the sign of a hack but could you imagine all those early 90s hip-hop tracks WITHOUT Dr. Dre on the wheels of steel? Turntablism is a musical performing art, in my opinion, even if it does involve borrowing other people's beats.

SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:14 am
  • SmokinHawk wrote:
    Sampling is a tool used by musicians, in my opinion. Relying too heavily on sampling is the sign of a hack but could you imagine all those early 90s hip-hop tracks WITHOUT Dr. Dre on the wheels of steel? Turntablism is a musical performing art, in my opinion, even if it does involve borrowing other people's beats.

Samplings been around as long as hip hop, it's almost like something if you're a producer its something you should totally be capable of doing IMO, and do it well.

Personally I love it when a producer takes the best of both worlds, putting synths & keys over samples, stuff sounds amazing!

As someone whos seen the creative process and have done it before when it comes to producing a track, and I think Dunce and Zeb can say amen to it, its a process making beats, but there are points in the process where stuff just flows out of your head and its almost a high you get when it happens.

I don't do it much now, partly because i don't know why, I get angry when I try now because I'm forcing stuff. But when I was heavy into it, nothing was a better feeling than hitting that zone.

But people can say that hip hop producers aren't musicians, but I'd beg to differ. If anyone has seen guys like Black Milk or Hi-Tek at work (and you can, check out youtube) you'd see theres more than just playing around with noises.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:21 am
  • Looping a sample and putting drums on it is not that difficult, usually. But being able to sample well and creatively is a skill most do not possess.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:33 am
  • hawker84 wrote:

A computer is an instrument. You give it input, it gives you outputs. If you believe that a keyboard is an instrument, then you believe that a computer is an instrument. A sampler is an instrument. Actually, anything can be an instrument. Les Claypool constructed the Whamola with a bass string, a double-bass neck and a pulley and a hinge. he plays it with a drumstick. That1guy made the magic pipe with some plumbing pipes and fittings, a couple of piano strings and a bunch of pickups. There's a famous Frank Zappa video when he was like 18 playing on an upturned bicycle with some drumsticks and making percussion sounds. Just because you don't think it's an instrument, doesn't mean it's not an instrument.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:57 am
  • again, i'm not taking anything away from the creative artistry of producers rappers whatever.. i think what they do is a skilled craft and some of it is very impressive.. i was talking more of the sampling part of it.. (yes i think you can still be a musician and sample music into the piece, if you're playing along with it at some point) ...

unless you are actually creating the notes that in turn creats the musical piece whether live or recording, you are not a musician.. if you take a piece of pre-recorded music or single notes and add it to a song, you are not creating that music, you are however creating a musical piece (song), there's a difference...

as far as a computer, tell me what notes can you produce on a computer that wasn't already pre-recorded in it's memory?
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:00 pm
  • hawker84 wrote:again, i'm not taking anything away from the creative artistry of producers rappers whatever.. i think what they do is a skilled craft and some of it is very impressive.. i was talking more of the sampling part of it.. (yes i think you can still be a musician and sample music into the piece, if you're playing along with it at some point) ...

unless you are actually creating the notes that in turn creats the musical piece whether live or recording, you are not a musician.. if you take a piece of pre-recorded music or single notes and add it to a song, you are not creating that music, you are however creating a musical piece (song), there's a difference...

as far as a computer, tell me what notes can you produce on a computer that wasn't already pre-recorded in it's memory?

Do you know how a keyboard works?
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:16 pm
  • hawker84 wrote:again, i'm not taking anything away from the creative artistry of producers rappers whatever.. i think what they do is a skilled craft and some of it is very impressive.. i was talking more of the sampling part of it.. (yes i think you can still be a musician and sample music into the piece, if you're playing along with it at some point) ...

The difference exists solely in your head, I think. Musicians create music. Hip-hop artists create hip-hop. Hip-hop is music. Therefore by nature of the transitive property, hip-hop artists are musicians.

Most hip-hop music isn't even sampled anymore. The vast majority of it is created from scratch using things like live instruments, sequencers, synthesizers (you know, like those made famous by Steve Miller and Pink Floyd), and audio production software. There are relatively few discernible differences between producing rock and hip-hop. All music effectively requires the same base ingredients, I think all we are debating here is what you will personally consider to be a musical instrument.

SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:23 pm
  • yes i know how keyboards work, i know they can sample, i know they have beat tracks, i know they have different sounds and can imulate different instruments and many other capabilities..

however somebody is usually manually playing the keys.. so please tell me how you can play a computer like a piano? i've been in bands where music was sequenced and we played to a click track, however we were still playing our instruments along with it...

you will never convince me that somebody playing a computer is the equivelent to somebody playing a piano, guitar, drums, trumpet... not the same...

and SmokinHawk - agreed , we have a difference of opinion on what constitutes a musical instrument.
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:26 pm

Synthesizers are infinite duh
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:33 pm
  • hawker84 wrote:yes i know how keyboards work, i know they can sample, i know they have beat tracks, i know they have different sounds and can imulate different instruments and many other capabilities..

however somebody is usually manually playing the keys.. so please tell me how you can play a computer like a piano? i've been in bands where music was sequenced and we played to a click track, however we were still playing our instruments along with it...

you will never convince me that somebody playing a computer is the equivelent to somebody playing a piano, guitar, drums, trumpet... not the same...

and SmokinHawk - agreed , we have a difference of opinion on what constitutes a musical instrument.

Attach a MIDI controller like an M-Audio Axiom to a PC, add a software package like FL Studio, watch as it suddenly becomes the world's most powerful synthesizer.

Most of the sequenced bits you hear in music today was probably tracked out by a guy playing on black 'n white keys. Does it make them less of a musician because they are recording the note data (facilitating easier editing, among other benefits), rather than the analog output of the instrument?

SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:35 pm
  • hawker84 wrote:yes i know how keyboards work, i know they can sample, i know they have beat tracks, i know they have different sounds and can imulate different instruments and many other capabilities..

You use existing scales and licks to compose your music, right? You've never played a I-IV-V or lifted a lick you learned when you were younger during a solo?
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:44 pm
  • The I-IV-V is the staple of most songs. Include a relative minor for embellishment on interludes or pre-choruses.

Everyone steals licks and maybe does different variations of them to "make it their own". And music is whatever the musician or listener likes/believes.

You can try and cram ideologies down someones throat but bottom line is each person has their own idea of what makes music and what does not.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:45 pm
  • yes i have my influences that shaped my core playing, but i took the time to learn the licks, learn the notes/chords learn the scales, learned the different techniques and perfected them.. any bass line that you can compose on a computer using sampled tracks, i can duplicate on an actual bass...

so what you're saying is in actuality i was human sampling?
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:48 pm
  • Most of the sequenced bits you hear in music today was probably tracked out by a guy playing on black 'n white keys. Does it make them less of a musician because they are recording the note data (facilitating easier editing, among other benefits), rather than the analog output of the instrument?

no absolutely not.. the guy that actually tracked out the music is a musician.. what i'm saying is if someone, who doesn't play an instrument takes those tracks and blends them to create a song.. they are a producer not a musician....
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:50 pm
  • mu·si·cian (my-zshn)
    n.
    One who composes, conducts, or performs music, especially instrumental music

An electronic composer would be considered a musician by definition.
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:51 pm
  • You guys are missing the point. Anything that makes noise is an instrument. Anyone that makes some kind of input or manipulation into that instrument for the purpose of listening to it is making music and is therefore an musician. That's what's so amazing about music. Literally anyone can do it and there are no rules. Some of you are trying to impose a set of subjective rules and parameters on what qualifies as music, and it's a complete fallacy. Anything that a person enjoys listening to is music. Edgard Varese had a record that was nothing but abstract avant garde noises with different sirens playing over it. That was music. the sirens were instruments Now, because Edgard Varese wasn't standing there actively "playing" the sirens, does that mean he's not a musician?

Sort yourselves out. For real.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:54 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:You can try and cram ideologies down someones throat but bottom line is each person has their own idea of what makes music and what does not.

Actually, no I dont. Music is music.

As I pointed out, you Rob are a HACK to a composer of large symphonies. They look at you're lil 4 piece set-up as trite and easy. And, using your own logic, they'd be right in that assessment.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:55 pm
  • pehawk wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:You can try and cram ideologies down someones throat but bottom line is each person has their own idea of what makes music and what does not.

Actually, no I dont. Music is music.

As I pointed out, you Rob are a HACK to a composer of large symphonies. They look at you're lil 4 piece set-up as trite and easy. And, using your own logic, they'd be right in that assessment.

But that weak ass composer doesn't even play the instruments!!
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:55 pm
  • well you can't argue with the last two post...

however i'll say this.. you can go to a Steve Via or Victor Wooten show with just him on stage playing his guitar/bass and be wowed...

doesn anyone on here think you would be wowed at a show with a guy on stage sitting down at a computer clicking a mouse?
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:57 pm
  • hawker84 wrote:well you can't argue with the last two post...

however i'll say this.. you can go to a Steve Via or Victor Wooten show with just him on stage playing his guitar/bass and be wowed...

doesn anyone on here think you would be wowed at a show with a guy on stage sitting down at a computer clicking a mouse?

If Vai only recorded music and never performed live, would that make him less of a musician?
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:58 pm
  • But that weak ass composer doesn't even play the instruments!!

i'm assuming that's a dig on me... i never said producers were weak, matter of fact i specifically said, some of them are very impressive, creative etc..... i just don't consider them musicians (according to my beliefs of what musician is.)
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:59 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:The I-IV-V is the staple of most songs. Include a relative minor for embellishment on interludes or pre-choruses.

Everyone steals licks and maybe does different variations of them to "make it their own". And music is whatever the musician or listener likes/believes.

You can try and cram ideologies down someones throat but bottom line is each person has their own idea of what makes music and what does not.

The I-IV-V progression was incredibly common in rock music during the 60s, 70s, on into the 80s and even a bit into the 90s, but short of an AC/DC or Nickelback song, it's becoming decidedly less commonplace in new music. Given your musical tastes, I can understand why you would find it so ubiquitous, but venture outside of cookie cutter arena rock and it all but disappears. It's simply too formulaic for contemporary rock music, and I honestly can't remember the last good, new song I heard with a I-IV-V progression.

We can agree that everyone is entitled to their own idea of what makes for good music, though.

SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:00 pm
  • you're missing the point.. it has nothing to do with live or recording.. if you create the music by playing an instrument whether it's a guitar or garbage can lid, you're a musician... if you don't know how to play a garbage can lid , or any other type of instrument i don't consider you a musician.
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:07 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information