Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » THE NET NATION LOUNGE » [ THE NET LOUNGE ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: I just *got too excited* watching this GOT trailer
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:22 am 
* NET Starfish *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
Posts: 10224
Location: Helm's Deep
Zebulon Dak wrote:
C'mon, Ben. Don't bugger it up for everybody.


I can't help it, Michael. I am who I am.

_________________
Rzzzzz...


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just *got too excited* watching this GOT trailer
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:26 am 
* The Producer *
* The Producer *
User avatar
Online

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:57 pm
Posts: 13441
Location: King In The North
peachesenregalia wrote:
Zebulon Dak wrote:
C'mon, Ben. Don't bugger it up for everybody.


I can't help it, Michael. I am who I am.


You can help it. You chose not to, and I respect that about you.

_________________
Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just *got too excited* watching this GOT trailer
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:33 am 
* NET Starfish *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
Posts: 10224
Location: Helm's Deep
Zebulon Dak wrote:
peachesenregalia wrote:
Zebulon Dak wrote:
C'mon, Ben. Don't bugger it up for everybody.


I can't help it, Michael. I am who I am.


You can help it. You chose not to, and I respect that about you.


FBFFLB

Facebook Friends For Life, Brah

_________________
Rzzzzz...


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just *got too excited* watching this GOT trailer
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:36 am 
* NET X's & O's Guru *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:24 am
Posts: 8615
Location: PNW
Peaches is posting from San Francisco right now...

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just *got too excited* watching this GOT trailer
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:47 am 
* NET Starfish *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
Posts: 10224
Location: Helm's Deep
AbsolutNET wrote:
Peaches is posting from San Francisco right now...


Is that what it shows? I'm at work. I always thought our network went through Alpharetta, GA.

Anyway, you shut up.

_________________
Rzzzzz...


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just *got too excited* watching this GOT trailer
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:23 pm 
* NET X's & O's Guru *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:24 am
Posts: 8615
Location: PNW
peachesenregalia wrote:
AbsolutNET wrote:
Peaches is posting from San Francisco right now...


Is that what it shows? I'm at work. I always thought our network went through Alpharetta, GA.

Anyway, you shut up.


Sure "your network goes through Georgia," NinerLifer

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just *got too excited* watching this GOT trailer
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:24 pm 
* NET Starfish *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
Posts: 10224
Location: Helm's Deep
AbsolutNET wrote:
peachesenregalia wrote:
AbsolutNET wrote:
Peaches is posting from San Francisco right now...


Is that what it shows? I'm at work. I always thought our network went through Alpharetta, GA.

Anyway, you shut up.


Sure "your network goes through Georgia," NinerLifer


Shhhhhhhhh! goddammit, you want to get us all killed?

_________________
Rzzzzz...


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just *got too excited* watching this GOT trailer
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:23 am 
NET Starter
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:10 pm
Posts: 310
Location: Spokane, Washington
f*** my life. I just read Peach's spoiler ridden post.

Dammit.

Oh well. I still cant wait til the show starts back up.

I've got Shameless, Southland, Boston's Finest, House of Lies, Walking Dead, and other shows to keep me entertained far past the 31st.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just *got too excited* watching this GOT trailer
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:23 am 
* NET Starfish *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
Posts: 10224
Location: Helm's Deep
tubbs51 wrote:
f*** my life. I just read Peach's spoiler ridden post.

Dammit.

Oh well. I still cant wait til the show starts back up.

I've got Shameless, Southland, Boston's Finest, House of Lies, Walking Dead, and other shows to keep me entertained far past the 31st.


Man, I'm sorry. (I'm not)

_________________
Rzzzzz...


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just *got too excited* watching this GOT trailer
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:32 am 
NET Starter
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:38 pm
Posts: 321
I've never understood why people would want to spoil things like that. Any chance I could convince you to explain?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just *got too excited* watching this GOT trailer
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:09 am 
* NET Starfish *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
Posts: 10224
Location: Helm's Deep
LargentFan wrote:
I've never understood why people would want to spoil things like that. Any chance I could convince you to explain?


Because I can. Because it provides me some mild amusement. Because I dislike the general public.

_________________
Rzzzzz...


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just *got too excited* watching this GOT trailer
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:29 am 
NET Starter
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:38 pm
Posts: 321
I find that so odd. It's a series of books that you claim to love, yet you go out of your way to make sure that other people don't enjoy it as much as you did.
Also, don't you think the agony of that event being a surprise is better than, I don't know, whatever it is you just did.

To each his own, I guess. Luckily, I don't have anyone like you in my life.

Anyway, back to the original topic of this thread.
I'm a big fan of the books as well.
I like the show, but I wish that I could see it as a non-reader. I agree that there isn't really much of a better way they could've done the show, but I still find myself nitpicking quite a lot of things.
Season two had some pretty major departures from the books. In some cases, this worked really well. In others, I think it weakened the story.
A small example would be the scene where Jon is sent to execute Ygritte. In the books, he makes the decision to let her go. In the show, she escapes and Jon looks like a bumbling idiot. It's just a change that I don't understand.
Season three should be quite good.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just *got too excited* watching this GOT trailer
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:39 am 
* NET X's & O's Guru *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:24 am
Posts: 8615
Location: PNW
Geez, my Niners fan joke was being too kind, what a dick.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just *got too excited* watching this GOT trailer
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:53 am 
* NET Starfish *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
Posts: 10224
Location: Helm's Deep
LargentFan, you just described some of the main reasons why I dislike the show now. The departures from the book were completely unnecessary in my eyes in the second season. First season was fantastic. I just got disillusioned with season 2 and don't really care to watch season 3.

_________________
Rzzzzz...


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just *got too excited* watching this GOT trailer
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:15 pm 
* NET Landlord *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:23 am
Posts: 3939
Location: Owner's Box
Peaches,
That's just a dick thing to do. Seriously. I've never seen the series, but I still think it was a dick move. It looks like someone removed it, and I'm hoping it was you. You jump into troll posts claiming to do so at the betterment of our community, but then loose all credibility by directly giving the same community the bird with this.

Don't pull that kind of shit around here, please.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just *got too excited* watching this GOT trailer
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:58 pm 
* NET Starfish *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
Posts: 10224
Location: Helm's Deep
RockHawk wrote:
Peaches,
That's just a dick thing to do. Seriously. I've never seen the series, but I still think it was a dick move. It looks like someone removed it, and I'm hoping it was you. You jump into troll posts claiming to do so at the betterment of our community, but then loose all credibility by directly giving the same community the bird with this.

Don't pull that kind of shit around here, please.


Aye, alright. I didn't remove it, for the record, but I'll not do that sort of thing on here in the future.

And my troll bashing is absolutely for the betterment of the community, but I still have to live up to the custom moniker you felt compelled to bestow upon me.

_________________
Rzzzzz...


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just *got too excited* watching this GOT trailer
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:00 pm 
* The Producer *
* The Producer *
User avatar
Online

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:57 pm
Posts: 13441
Location: King In The North
I think your new moniker should be Spoiler Alert.

_________________
Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just *got too excited* watching this GOT trailer
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:19 am 
NET Starter
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:35 pm
Posts: 300
Location: Reno,NV
Season 2 did indeed have many departures from the books, but I was able to see a reason for them pretty much every time.

The Jon Snow/Ygritte one served to drastically shorten the time needed to put Jon with the wildlings, and find a halfway plausible reason for him to whack Halfhand . . I wasn't entirely happy with it, as it does make Jon look like a bumbler, instead of just a naively honorable young boy, and also mucks up the motivation for his travels with the wildlings.

Was more disappointed in the Dany in Qarth changes . . no prophecies in the house of shadows, and come on . . stole her dragons?
I see why tgey did it, just the marriage customs of Qarth and the trip thru the house of shadows could easily burn an entire episode, but the things she sees in the house have ahuge impact thru the series, I find myself referencing that chapter quite often in the later books.


Oh, and on a different note . . how about that Ygritte, eh? She is way way hotter than what was in my head from the books . . vows or no, I woulda hit it early and often!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just *got too excited* watching this GOT trailer
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:47 am 
* NET Starfish *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
Posts: 10224
Location: Helm's Deep
There was just no need to change Jon and Ygritte's story. The reason for him to kill Qhorin was already there, Qhorin told him that he HAD to go over to the wildlings, and him killing Qhorin was to prove that he had truly turned coat.

As for the Dany stuff, they pretty much screwed everything about her up in the second season. No need for it, either. As you said, leaving out the prophecy kinda screws everything up for the later books with her.

it just seems like HBO wants to put as many tits as possible into it and doesn't care so much about the story. That might work for most of you, but I just don't care for it.

_________________
Rzzzzz...


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just *got too excited* watching this GOT trailer
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:49 am 
NET Starter
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:38 pm
Posts: 321
I didn't even want to touch on the Qarth stuff...they permanently changed a LOT of things that can't really let it come back around to where she is in the books.
Short list...
Dany comes to Qarth as a celebrated "Mother of Dragons," not a beggar who can't even pronounce the name of the city. The various factions vie for her favor while trying to scheme how to use her and her dragons to their own ends. Her dragons are never stolen...
Xaro told her to leave Qarth, but never openly betrayed her. They maintained a cordial relationship later.
Doreah, her handmaiden who taught her how to hump, also never betrayed her. She died in the desert and it was a very sad moment for Dany.
Pyat Pree...well...other than the look of the character, very little was even close to the books. He never died in the book, though one could argue that he isn't dead in the show. He certainly wasn't some shadowy assassin guy.
The 13...yeah they're alive still in the books...
Anyway...I don't see how they can repair that story line.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just *got too excited* watching this GOT trailer
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:22 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:55 pm
Posts: 2446
Location: Battle Ground, Wa
peachesenregalia wrote:

it just seems like HBO wants to put as many tits as possible into it and doesn't care so much about the story. That might work for most of you, but I just don't care for it.



Yep this is the gist of it for me also.

_________________
http://personal-spectrum.com/


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just *got too excited* watching this GOT trailer
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:28 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 2:09 pm
Posts: 3408
LargentFan wrote:
I didn't even want to touch on the Qarth stuff...they permanently changed a LOT of things that can't really let it come back around to where she is in the books.
Short list...
Dany comes to Qarth as a celebrated "Mother of Dragons," not a beggar who can't even pronounce the name of the city. The various factions vie for her favor while trying to scheme how to use her and her dragons to their own ends. Her dragons are never stolen...
Xaro told her to leave Qarth, but never openly betrayed her. They maintained a cordial relationship later.
Doreah, her handmaiden who taught her how to hump, also never betrayed her. She died in the desert and it was a very sad moment for Dany.
Pyat Pree...well...other than the look of the character, very little was even close to the books. He never died in the book, though one could argue that he isn't dead in the show. He certainly wasn't some shadowy assassin guy.
The 13...yeah they're alive still in the books...
Anyway...I don't see how they can repair that story line.


This kinda cements my viewpoint that a lot of the book reader's are just whiners and don't have anything of real substance to complain about.

Those all are differences between the books and the tv show yes... but I'm struggling to see how any of those changes will have a negative impact on the series as a whole and how many of them weren't just changes for minor reasons. IE: who cares if Dany's handmaiden dies in the desert or she betrays her?... both endings for her character are fine imo.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just *got too excited* watching this GOT trailer
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:08 pm 
* NET Starfish *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
Posts: 10224
Location: Helm's Deep
therealjohncarlson wrote:
LargentFan wrote:
I didn't even want to touch on the Qarth stuff...they permanently changed a LOT of things that can't really let it come back around to where she is in the books.
Short list...
Dany comes to Qarth as a celebrated "Mother of Dragons," not a beggar who can't even pronounce the name of the city. The various factions vie for her favor while trying to scheme how to use her and her dragons to their own ends. Her dragons are never stolen...
Xaro told her to leave Qarth, but never openly betrayed her. They maintained a cordial relationship later.
Doreah, her handmaiden who taught her how to hump, also never betrayed her. She died in the desert and it was a very sad moment for Dany.
Pyat Pree...well...other than the look of the character, very little was even close to the books. He never died in the book, though one could argue that he isn't dead in the show. He certainly wasn't some shadowy assassin guy.
The 13...yeah they're alive still in the books...
Anyway...I don't see how they can repair that story line.


This kinda cements my viewpoint that a lot of the book reader's are just whiners and don't have anything of real substance to complain about.

Those all are differences between the books and the tv show yes... but I'm struggling to see how any of those changes will have a negative impact on the series as a whole and how many of them weren't just changes for minor reasons. IE: who cares if Dany's handmaiden dies in the desert or she betrays her?... both endings for her character are fine imo.


Go back and read the first two books. They've left out or altered massive chunks of Dany's story, and have now minimized her character's impact in the series as a whole. Major plot points are now missing, and will affect major plot points later in the series. But she's hot, so that's all that matters, right?

I'm not even that picky. I had no real beef with them leaving out the Reeds, even though they are pretty major characters in my opinion and are fairly important to some plot points with Bran's story, I could see how leaving them out wouldn't do any detremental harm to the series. The same can't be said for what they've done to Dany's story. I was ok with the changes made to Robb's story, again, not too terribly integral to the plot, same with playing up the homosexual relationship between Loras Tyrell and Renly Baratheon. It was only vaguely hinted at in the books, but completely overt in the show. None of those changes ruined the plot at all. Dany's story is now in tatters, and it's going to take some more convoluted changes to resolve it all.

Whiners my arse...

_________________
Rzzzzz...


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just *got too excited* watching this GOT trailer
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:31 pm 
NET Starter
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:38 pm
Posts: 321
I was just giving examples. Not all of them bear the same weight.
Obviously, the handmaiden bit is less important, but without getting into spoilers from later books, her relationship with Xaro is irreparably destroyed in the show and the governing body of a major city is now dead. Those two concepts have major repercussions on later events.
For the most part, when making changes, they have been able to bring things back around. I hope they can find a way to do it with her story as well.

Anyway, I really wish you would stop whining about how book readers notice differences and discuss them.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just *got too excited* watching this GOT trailer
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:36 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:35 pm
Posts: 2920
Location: Seattle, WA - USA
m0ng0 wrote:
peachesenregalia wrote:

it just seems like HBO wants to put as many tits as possible into it and doesn't care so much about the story. That might work for most of you, but I just don't care for it.



Yep this is the gist of it for me also.


Oh come on, you can never have too much tits in the show :th2thumbs:

_________________
"Are we rockin' and rollin' or what?!''

-- Seattle coach Pete Carroll, celebrating with his coaches after the Seahawks pulled off a trade with the Jets, netting running back Leon Washington on Saturday, via Seahawks.com


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just *got too excited* watching this GOT trailer
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:51 pm 
* NET Starfish *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
Posts: 10224
Location: Helm's Deep
MLOhawks wrote:
m0ng0 wrote:
peachesenregalia wrote:

it just seems like HBO wants to put as many tits as possible into it and doesn't care so much about the story. That might work for most of you, but I just don't care for it.



Yep this is the gist of it for me also.


Oh come on, you can never have too much tits in the show :th2thumbs:


Case in point.

_________________
Rzzzzz...


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just *got too excited* watching this GOT trailer
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:07 pm 
* The Producer *
* The Producer *
User avatar
Online

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:57 pm
Posts: 13441
Location: King In The North
George Martin, who made up the entire story, has approved every single change, and probably even decided some, most, if not all of them. We all like the books better. That's the way that works.

_________________
Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just *got too excited* watching this GOT trailer
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:19 pm 
* NET Moderator *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
Posts: 18457
Location: Milwaukie, Oregon
I love the books. I love the show too but not to the level of the books. There's so much in the books, so many important charachters, so many story lines, that it would have been virtually impossible to incorporate it all into the show, but overall i think they're doing a good job.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just *got too excited* watching this GOT trailer
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:52 pm 
NET Starter
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:38 pm
Posts: 321
I agree that they are doing a great job. But I also enjoy talking about it and the differences. Ways I think it would have been better, ways it improved on the books. Stuff like that.

For the record, grrm does not have approval rights to anything in the show. They could change it in any way they want to and there isn't anything he could do about it, other than complain. Luckily, the show runners have a good working relationship with the author.
He has said in the past that he approves of the changes, and in some cases prefers them, but I highly doubt he is happy with every change. I am sure he understands them, but likely prefers his own version of several things.

Notable changes he has mentioned liking, off the top of my head:
Ned sending Yoren to the statue of Baelor when he sees Arya there. I liked this as well. Ned's last heroic act.
The confrontation between Bronn and Sandor in the tavern. Bad day for Bronn if that had come to blows.
Robert and Cersei discussing their marriage. I actually didn't like this one. It helps Robert look like a dick, when in truth, he was just an irresponsible drunkard.

On a separate, but related note, do any of you collect any of the merchandise based on the book or show?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just *got too excited* watching this GOT trailer
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:43 pm 
* The Producer *
* The Producer *
User avatar
Online

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:57 pm
Posts: 13441
Location: King In The North
I want to collect some of the merch but I haven't seen much that really caught my interest. Mugs and patches and stuff. I like the idea of collecting the weapons, but I can't really justify spending that kind of money, what with all this back child support that I never plan on paying.

_________________
Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just *got too excited* watching this GOT trailer
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:47 pm 
* The Producer *
* The Producer *
User avatar
Online

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:57 pm
Posts: 13441
Location: King In The North
Although, looking now, some of those Dark Sword metal miniatures look pretty cool.

_________________
Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just *got too excited* watching this GOT trailer
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:51 pm 
* The Producer *
* The Producer *
User avatar
Online

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:57 pm
Posts: 13441
Location: King In The North
Dammit. Just bought em. Damn you LF!!!

_________________
Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just *got too excited* watching this GOT trailer
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:09 pm 
NET Starter
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:38 pm
Posts: 321
Lol. Those minis are interesting. I've never bought any of them. I have spent...quite a lot on other stuff from the series though. I have a few of the swords and I also have all if the coins that have been made for the books.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just *got too excited* watching this GOT trailer
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:13 pm 
* The Producer *
* The Producer *
User avatar
Online

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:57 pm
Posts: 13441
Location: King In The North
LargentFan wrote:
Lol. Those minis are interesting. I've never bought any of them. I have spent...quite a lot on other stuff from the series though. I have a few of the swords and I also have all if the coins that have been made for the books.


They're a project, it looks like, but I know a couple ladies that are good at that sort of thing so maybe I'll put em to work.

Which swords do you have?

_________________
Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just *got too excited* watching this GOT trailer
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:38 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 2:09 pm
Posts: 3408
Lol ZD I love how in your 3 posts in a row you go from being curious to buying them, to thinking a couple look cool, to buying them. I might have to look into some now


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just *got too excited* watching this GOT trailer
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:45 pm 
NET Starter
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:38 pm
Posts: 321
I bought the original stainless steel Longclaw when it first came out. #234/2500
Then, about a year later, they announced that they were planning a special Damascus steel edition of it in a limited run of 100. I freaked out a bit because I was worried I wouldn't be able to afford it before it sold out. I was lucky enough to get one. #33/100
I bought Needle as well. It's tiny, but it's pointy end would definitely do the job it was intended for. #1638/2500
I knew a Damascus version of Ice would be released, so I ignored the stainless steel version and got the Damascus steel version. #163/250
I plan on getting Robert's hammer and the night's watch dagger set, but I am in no real hurry.
I will be ordering the Stark shield as well.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just *got too excited* watching this GOT trailer
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:19 pm 
* The Producer *
* The Producer *
User avatar
Online

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:57 pm
Posts: 13441
Location: King In The North
LargentFan wrote:
I bought the original stainless steel Longclaw when it first came out. #234/2500
Then, about a year later, they announced that they were planning a special Damascus steel edition of it in a limited run of 100. I freaked out a bit because I was worried I wouldn't be able to afford it before it sold out. I was lucky enough to get one. #33/100
I bought Needle as well. It's tiny, but it's pointy end would definitely do the job it was intended for. #1638/2500
I knew a Damascus version of Ice would be released, so I ignored the stainless steel version and got the Damascus steel version. #163/250
I plan on getting Robert's hammer and the night's watch dagger set, but I am in no real hurry.
I will be ordering the Stark shield as well.


That's a bad ass collection man!

_________________
Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just *got too excited* watching this GOT trailer
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:20 pm 
* The Producer *
* The Producer *
User avatar
Online

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:57 pm
Posts: 13441
Location: King In The North
therealjohncarlson wrote:
Lol ZD I love how in your 3 posts in a row you go from being curious to buying them, to thinking a couple look cool, to buying them. I might have to look into some now


Haha I know man I got a problem. When it comes to Star Wars & Seahawks stuff especially. I guess you can add GoT to the list.

_________________
Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just *got too excited* watching this GOT trailer
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:08 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 2:09 pm
Posts: 3408
peachesenregalia wrote:
therealjohncarlson wrote:
LargentFan wrote:
I didn't even want to touch on the Qarth stuff...they permanently changed a LOT of things that can't really let it come back around to where she is in the books.
Short list...
Dany comes to Qarth as a celebrated "Mother of Dragons," not a beggar who can't even pronounce the name of the city. The various factions vie for her favor while trying to scheme how to use her and her dragons to their own ends. Her dragons are never stolen...
Xaro told her to leave Qarth, but never openly betrayed her. They maintained a cordial relationship later.
Doreah, her handmaiden who taught her how to hump, also never betrayed her. She died in the desert and it was a very sad moment for Dany.
Pyat Pree...well...other than the look of the character, very little was even close to the books. He never died in the book, though one could argue that he isn't dead in the show. He certainly wasn't some shadowy assassin guy.
The 13...yeah they're alive still in the books...
Anyway...I don't see how they can repair that story line.


This kinda cements my viewpoint that a lot of the book reader's are just whiners and don't have anything of real substance to complain about.

Those all are differences between the books and the tv show yes... but I'm struggling to see how any of those changes will have a negative impact on the series as a whole and how many of them weren't just changes for minor reasons. IE: who cares if Dany's handmaiden dies in the desert or she betrays her?... both endings for her character are fine imo.


Go back and read the first two books. They've left out or altered massive chunks of Dany's story, and have now minimized her character's impact in the series as a whole. Major plot points are now missing, and will affect major plot points later in the series. But she's hot, so that's all that matters, right?

I'm not even that picky. I had no real beef with them leaving out the Reeds, even though they are pretty major characters in my opinion and are fairly important to some plot points with Bran's story, I could see how leaving them out wouldn't do any detremental harm to the series. The same can't be said for what they've done to Dany's story. I was ok with the changes made to Robb's story, again, not too terribly integral to the plot, same with playing up the homosexual relationship between Loras Tyrell and Renly Baratheon. It was only vaguely hinted at in the books, but completely overt in the show. None of those changes ruined the plot at all. Dany's story is now in tatters, and it's going to take some more convoluted changes to resolve it all.

Whiners my arse...


Seeing as the debate has died down I'd just like to make a quick comment about the Reeds. They will be in the story, HBO just decided to push their introduction back from the end of the 2nd season to the beginning of the 3rd (likely because they didn't want to focus on getting actors and actresses in a crunched amount of time when they could just wait a few months and make sure the intro was done right)


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just *got too excited* watching this GOT trailer
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:47 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 2:09 pm
Posts: 3408
Extended trailer. Now with a whopping 20 secs of added footage.



Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just *got too excited* watching this GOT trailer
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:06 am 
* NET Starfish *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
Posts: 10224
Location: Helm's Deep
With the Reeds, i mean, what's the point of adding them at this point then? What explanation will they give for them just showing up? They'll have to make up some convoluted reason for Jojen and Meera Reed - two teenagers, mind you - for travelling all the way from the Neck to Winterfell - now a ruin - and meeting up with Bran and Hodor. In the book, they were wards of Robb at winterfell, and were there before the Greyjoy rebellion and the Bastard of Bolton burning the place down.

_________________
Rzzzzz...


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » THE NET NATION LOUNGE » [ THE NET LOUNGE ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 10 guests

 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Seahawks.NET is an independent fan site and not associated with the Seattle Seahawks or the NFL (National Football League).
All content within this Seahawks fan page is provided by, and for, Seattle Seahawks fans. Copyright © Seahawks.NET.