Got a speeding ticket, Court in two weeks advice?

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
  • hawker84 wrote:where are you from? so you had to pay $137 + the cost of the ticket?

no, if i take the class they will wipe it from my record ,i do not have to pay a ticket and they don't tell my insurance. For anyone 25(Male) or under has to take defensive driver classes, its mandatory.......
    $100 for court fees is pretty ridiculous though.

But its not as bad as i thought it would be in terms of price.
    Axx
    NET Veteran

• ah i see.. that's interesting.. you must not be in Washington.. never heard of manadatory defense classes.. i just got two speeding tickets in the last 6 months, both 10 or under, just payed $113 for each one and it's a done deal..
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• Ironic, has issues with cops.................
    And this post is not directed at anyone personally.
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran

• Always, always, ALWAYS fight a speeding ticket - even if you committed the infraction. I work as a clerk in a courtroom in Pierce County, and almost (im talking about 80% here) of people who contest their tickets get them reduced, if not dismissed, just for showing up. The cost of showing up to fight your ticket (unless you hire an attorney) will never be more than the amount written on your infraction.

And you get a deferral every 7 years in Washington. You get one for a moving violation and one for a non moving violation - a fact many don't know.
    Casper
    NET Rookie

• I've only gotten a couple of tickets in my life but I was able to get them both reduced by at least 50% by going to talk to the judge, admitting guilt & explaining my story. Court fees never seemed to be an issue.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• Casper wrote:Always, always, ALWAYS fight a speeding ticket - even if you committed the infraction. I work as a clerk in a courtroom in Pierce County, and almost (im talking about 80% here) of people who contest their tickets get them reduced, if not dismissed, just for showing up. The cost of showing up to fight your ticket (unless you hire an attorney) will never be more than the amount written on your infraction.

And you get a deferral every 7 years in Washington. You get one for a moving violation and one for a non moving violation - a fact many don't know.

That was always my understanding, but I haven't had a ticket in over 25 years, so I was reading this thread thinking my experience was obsolete. Nice to see it validated.

A lot of times, it seems that people can get reductions in fines, or warnings instead of citations, simply by not being an ass. I have seen it, but never understood it, where a cop's decision to write a ticket is made for him by the guy being a smartass or just plain stupid.

Hey Casper, it used to be in Washington that you could plead not guilty, guilty, or guilty-but-I-want-to-explain (I forgot what the real name was for it.) Is that still the case?
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

• BlueTalon wrote:Hey Casper, it used to be in Washington that you could plead not guilty, guilty, or guilty-but-I-want-to-explain (I forgot what the real name was for it.) Is that still the case?

That's been my experience.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• I got one 2 weeks ago (15 over) and was given the option to plead guilty but also write in my explanation of why, what, when, etc. so I didn't have to go to court. Still waiting to hear back if they will reduce the ticket or not.
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• I believe you are referring to a mitigation hearing, yes, they still exist here.
    Casper
    NET Rookie

• I know you were trying to go back and save your family from being destroyed but you're supposed to reach 88 in a parking lot... being chased by Libyans.
    SUPER BOWL 48 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!

RIP ROAD WOES 12/2/2012
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

• Casper wrote:I believe you are referring to a mitigation hearing, yes, they still exist here.

That's it. The last ticket I got, I did that, and ended up doing 8 hours of community service in exchange for dropping the charge entirely (no record, no fine, no points, no insurance report).
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:24 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information