Contact

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Contact
Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:53 pm
  • It's no secret to you that I love all things paranormal. From UFOs, ET, crop circles, spirits, ghosts, EVP, OBEs and all other esoteric acronyms and beyond. Whatever side of the fence you reside, from hardened skeptic to shameless believer, you have to at least admit there's plenty about our world, our universe, reality and the very nature of consciousness we as a species have yet to fully comprehend.

Some of you know my father-in-law passed away this past Thanksgiving eve. It's been difficult on my wife as you can imagine, even more so given their special bond. My daughter is doing well, as children tend to do as it's hard for them to truly understand the meaning - and finality - of death.

Due to my passion for the paranormal, I happen to be extra sensitive to key characteristics of what I would consider contact from a departed loved one. I've witnessed first-hand many of these characteristics over the years as I am no stranger to loss from loved ones. Any of you who watch ghost hunter shows even in passing are familiar with the general keys researchers look for:

- Anything electrical that behaves out of the ordinary, such as lights, TVs, radios, appliances turning off and on with no known cause.

- Strange sounds in the house that cannot easily be identified or explained such as doors closing, people talking/crying/laughing, etc, when nobody else is in the house and so on.

- Objects moving on their own. Anything from bowls, glasses, frames, utensils, you name it...

- Full-blown apparitions of the departed. Either appearing in full physical form, or partial or translucent form, both in the dream state and fully awake.

I could go on but those are the standards.

As much of these shows that I watch, and as late as I stay up on weekends, I rarely hear or see anything out of the ordinary.

That all changed after my father-in-law passed.

My wife, my daughter and I have been witness to things such as random noises that have absolutely no explanation such as doors closing, sounds of things moving around in other rooms, to lights flickering constantly. And no, not just during windy or poor weather. Even during calm conditions. Triggers I would call them, but nothing concrete I would consider potential evidence of communication from "The Other Side".

That all changed the other night.

I was sitting on the couch watching some Seahawks-related show (imagine that) when I heard something that sounded like someone ripping a poster or picture off the wall in our front room. It startled me as it was not some gentle noise. I went in the front room expecting a pet or someone in there. I found nothing. I told my daughter about it and the next morning she said "Daddy, is this what you heard?" Sure enough, in the middle of the room was a photo of my daughter with Santa. Not just any photo, but my father-in-law's favorite...It's her with her mouth open crying hysterically. He got a kick out of that.

We have all the Santa/Kenna photos hanging on the wall in that room, and that was the only one that fell, and was in the middle of the room. How I didn't notice or see that the night before is beyond me (and no, there was no wine involved).

The next night, Kenna was in our bed as my wife was helping a friend with a pet that was dying. I had turned on our ceiling fan because it was oddly warm for December. All our rooms have ceiling fans. When my wife came home, it was time to put Kenna to bed in her room. She went and laid down. Just as my wife and I were beginning to fall asleep Kenna came rushing into our room crying hysterically.

When we got her to calm down enough she said she was lying on her bed trying to fall asleep when suddenly she heard the ceiling fan light switch "click" on and the ceiling fan started spinning on high. She said it wasn't just the ceiling fan starting up on its own that scared her but the fact that she could hear the sound of the switch clicking on first.

There is no possible way to turn that ceiling fan on (it's a traditional light switch on the wall by her door, far removed from her or her bed) without pushing it physically with your fingers. Just like any light switch.

That was the moment I knew in my heart-of-hearts that it was Grandpa.

Of course, I don't expect to change any skeptics minds, but I thought I would share it all the same because I believe quite profoundly in fact, that there is so much to life and this universe of ours that we have yet to even begin to understand.

"We're picking up speed. The train is coming." - Earl Thomas 11/15/14
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Re: Contact
Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:07 pm
  • I'm not sure I have an equal faith in the paranormal that you have but over the years I've seen some things that I can't explain.

It's kinda freaky. Not even sure I know what to think about it all.
    Won't go into any detail but I've had 3 semi major "things" happen in my life, that I would consider paranormal. 1 of the 3 was truly life changing.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:00 pm
  • Looking forward to sharing stories next time we meet up!

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:15 am
  • When my Grandma's and a house that has been in my family for well over 100 years finally sold out of the family when my Gran died odd things happened.

The new owners completely renovated the house. My Grans wish was it stay in the family and stay as it was.

There have been 6 owners in the 8 years since her passing. The buyers say they are being haunted. Water in my grans bathroom sink turns on by itself, the toilets flush randomly, things jostle and shake.

Personally I have spent 100s of overnights there and never heard a peep. Always felt comfortable and safe. Went in a few weeks back to look at it (it's for sale) and it has a cold air about it. Hollow. Maybe it was the refurbishments but something was just off.

I'm not saying I buy into their stories but the first buyer took a 50k loss just to sell the place and everyone since then has lost money on the sale. It now sits vacant.
    HOLLYWOOD
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:31 am
  • My mother-in-law passed away in the middle of the night last night. It was expected and she lived a long (nearly 89 years) and full life. I bring this up because her little dog was sleeping on the bed with her and her daughter (my wife's sister) was sleeping in another room. In the middle of the night, the little dog all of a sudden jumped off my mother-in-law's bed which he never does as he's small and the bed is quite high. He then started racing around in circles waking my sister-in-law up who discovered at that point her mom was gone.

We all feel he knew one of his "moms" had passed. Dogs seem to be very hypersensitive to these things and IMO have senses beyond our own in some ways. Seems to me their acuteness to things 'paranormal' supports your contention of the existence of such things Aros.

RIP Nicky. You will be missed.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

ImageImage

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:16 am
  • I am sorry for your loss. I do believe animals have senses much beyond ours.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:02 am
  • My grandfather passed away in a house in Tacoma in 98. My grandma continued to live there years after. One thing you need to know about my grandpa is that he absolutely loved clocks. He had hundreds of them. A few years after he passed my grandmother started getting symptoms of dementia and she didn't hear well. She would tell us how people would keep ringing the doorbell and nobody would be there. We would just shrug it off because of the dementia.... Ok grandma.

This went on for a few years. Their doorbell had your standard ding dong chime. Nobody believed her until one day were all in the living room playing cards and the door bell rings. Except it wasn't the sound of a doorbell, it was the sound of a clock striking the hour like the ones you hear on a church. All of us were like wtf. This cheap doorbell made to make only a ding dong sound somehow emitted the sound from a clock. I even tried it right after to see if it would do it again. Nope, ding dong.

Creepiest thing I've ever encountered.
    86Hawk
    NET Rookie

Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:33 am
  • Aros wrote:I am sorry for your loss. I do believe animals have senses much beyond ours.

Thanks man, and again, likewise. And I think dogs are especially acute in that area.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

ImageImage

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:31 pm
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    Aros wrote:I am sorry for your loss. I do believe animals have senses much beyond ours.

Thanks man, and again, likewise. And I think dogs are especially acute in that area.

Not intended to derail but dogs are being trained to alert owner of acute changes in BGL
    (Blood glucose level) ie. Diabetic emergency.
    Dogs have very strong senses and when focused can do amazing things.
    I'm not a bit surprised that one knows when a life has left the room.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:32 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    Aros wrote:I am sorry for your loss. I do believe animals have senses much beyond ours.

Not intended to derail but dogs are being trained to alert owner of acute changes in BGL
    (Blood glucose level) ie. Diabetic emergency.
    Dogs have very strong senses and when focused can do amazing things.
    I'm not a bit surprised that one knows when a life has left the room.

Naw not a derail my friend, just part of the conversation. Dogs are special, pure and simple.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

ImageImage

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:16 pm
  • What freaks me out is when my cat or dog is sitting there chillin' when out of the blue they turn their heads, looking at a very specific spot, eyes wide open. I believe they are spotting a spirit or entity that just came in the room and it freaks me out like it should.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:00 am
  • Aros wrote:What freaks me out is when my cat or dog is sitting there chillin' when out of the blue they turn their heads, looking at a very specific spot, eyes wide open. I believe they are spotting a spirit or entity that just came in the room and it freaks me out like it should.

That could be dust motes or something similar as well though.
    Zebulon Dak wrote:If any Twitter employees get assassinated I'll vote Republican from here on out.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:45 am
  • OkieHawk wrote:
    Aros wrote:What freaks me out is when my cat or dog is sitting there chillin' when out of the blue they turn their heads, looking at a very specific spot, eyes wide open. I believe they are spotting a spirit or entity that just came in the room and it freaks me out like it should.

That could be dust motes or something similar as well though.

If a cat is only staring at a space then it detected movement and is waiting for that movement to happen again. They have an incredible ability to sense motion.

Cats aren't magical though, they just notice things at a higher magnitude. Dust, a gleam of light from someone walking by a street lamp or a car driving in the distance. These are things we don't notice and they do.
    I enjoy ruining threads by making them about personal attacks and then commenting about how personal attacks make the other person's argument invalid.

:les:
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:57 am
  • Aros wrote:I am sorry for your loss. I do believe animals have senses much beyond ours.

They do, but not in the sense you're suggesting.

Cats and dogs can see UV light, something we simply don't possess. They have a far more keen sense of smell, sound, vision, sense motion far better - not to mention they have dog and cat brains.

As far as a dog being able to predict imminent death? I doubt that, but what I don't doubt is the noise (or lack of noise) that is associated with death could be troubling to the dog, especially if that dog finds companionship in the person who is passing.

If you were about to walk in front of a bus the dog would act no differently, however if it were of more natural causes I definitely can see how their senses play into being able to identify a change.

What's more amazing than a dog who can sense death, is a dog who notices such slight changes and is stressed because it is happening to it's companion, it's owner. That's something to celebrate.
    I enjoy ruining threads by making them about personal attacks and then commenting about how personal attacks make the other person's argument invalid.

:les:
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:00 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information