Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » THE NET NATION LOUNGE » [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Post subject: Why do ISP's suck in the US?
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:18 am 
*GOLD SUPPORTER*
*GOLD SUPPORTER*

Why is it so hard to get consistent service from ISP's in the US? Why do we fail so much, especially in metropolitan areas?

Having the choice between two evil, terrible companies suck. One choice for DSL and one choice for Cable internet? How is that not a monopoly...

/rant

Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

"YOU POST...TO WIN...thethread." JesterHawk

Post subject: Re: Why do ISP's suck in the US?
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:41 pm 
NET Veteran

They are monopolies. But they are regulated monopolies so some how that makes it okay. That is, your local government decides which company can offer phone service and which company can offer cable service.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:17 pm 
USMC 1970-77

That's right, it's the government's fault. :roll:

Yes, there are monopolies, actually they tend to be exclusive rights contracts between local governments and the media/internet suppliers.

Many other countries have basically socialized public access to high speed internet. Can't do that here, though. Too much money involved in preventing it and forcing us to pay through the hind end (in lounge-speak, that is).

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:10 pm 
*BRONZE SUPPORTER*
*BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Is anyone else using frontier fios for Internet and having the connection completely stop 20x a day? Then for days it can be fine.

Stay away from frontier fios. I know this was slightly OT but I'm just flippin annoyed right now.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:11 pm 
*NET FCC Liaison*

My Frontier FIOS in Kirkland has been great. Had it for 1.5 years. I had it at a separate location about 4 years ago, was great there, too. You need to get heavily involved with the upper-tier FIOS techs, Msfann, and try to get to the root problem.

Also, the main reason why ISPs suck in metropolitan areas is lobbying. Lobbying keeps the FCC "in line" with corporate interests, and the fat cat politicians just keep making bank in all kinds of quasi-legal, and illegal, ways.

We need to force open internet competition like what the European Union has. (At least, I think it's them; it might be England?) Anyways, fiber in the ground has to be shared with any ISP that wants it at a market-friendly rate, so competition went through the roof, and you can get 100-megabit cable with no limits for like $60/mo in places like London.

I really hate politicians. (Except Kevin Spacey in that new Netflix show...lol.)

*He can change a win into a loss.
*He can change a loss into a win by getting injured.
*RedAlice is right.

Board index » THE NET NATION LOUNGE » [ THE NET LOUNGE ]