The Force Awakens : SPOILER EDITION

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
The Force Awakens : SPOILER EDITION
Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:28 pm
  • I figure enough people have seen it by now that we can talk about it a little bit. IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN IT AND DONT WANT SPOILERS, STOP READING NOW

Ok, just a couple of questions:

Do we know who Rey is? Is she related to Luke? Any guesses who her family is? I'm kind of madly in love with her....

The other thing i was unsure about, who was the old dude at the very start? The first one to get killed? Was I supposed to know who that was from the earlier movies?

Whats the next movie? Luke vs Kylo Ren?

I thought it was great. I'm not the HUGE Star Wars guy who's going to analyze every scene and charachter, but I was extremely entertained. Also curious to hear why Roland was dissapointed.

RIP Han Solo.
    Last edited by JSeahawks on Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Re: The Force Awakens : SPOILER ADDITION
Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:47 pm
  • We don't know who exactly Rey is. Many speculate she's Luke's daughter, but then with whom? Others think she may be Kylo's sister. Difficult to see. Always in motion, the future is. Or something.

The old dude is Lor San Tekka. I don't think we know anything about him but he's obviously of some importance somewhere along the line.

Roland was unhappy at the lack of Luke. I imagine we'll get all the Luke we can handle in the next movie.

Rey, Finn, Poe, Hux, Kylo.... All amazing new characters IMO.
    Image فعل الخير ، ومساعدة الناس وتكون سعيدا
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:54 pm
  • I like that we don't know much about Rey, makes me very interested in the next movie.

Killing Han was probably inevitable -- and his death certainly propelled that story forward so I think it worked.
    * NET Staff *

Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:42 pm
  • *EDITION
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:53 pm
  • Laloosh wrote:*EDITION

I don't know what you're talking about.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Re: The Force Awakens : SPOILER EDITION
Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:51 pm
  • I think they wanted to pull back and give Han some focus, considering it was his last bow.
    "By Grabthar's hammer, by the Sons of Warvan, you shall be avenged."

RIP Alan Rickman, 1946-2016
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:54 pm
  • Rey is Kylo's twin sister.
    I'm In!

What attracted you to the Seahawks?
    “It’s a combination of what I believe the coaches are doing here, the atmosphere and what I think we’re going to do here in the future. I think we’re going to win and win a lot and be a championship team.” – Zac Miller, August 4, 2011
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:18 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:I think they wanted to pull back and give Han some focus, considering it was his last bow.

Most definitely. This was Han's movie.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:20 pm
  • Seafan wrote:Rey is Kylo's twin sister.

I actually like this better than her being Luke's daughter, I think. Not necessarily that they're twins, but they're at least siblings. Whoever she is, I think Leia already knows.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:32 pm
  • I think Rey is Kylo's sister. The implications are that she's luke's daughter just because of her flashbacks, the fact that she has a 'luke' looking doll in her hovel, and a luke style flight helmet but I think those things are only there to take away from what would be a pretty obvious leap that she's his sister.

However the thing that keeps me wondering is that Han and Leah don't seem too concerned for her general well being any more than they are for anyone else when it seems like they would at least have some idea since they would probably know what planet she was abandoned on and knowing the 'coincidence' that happens with the force, and her age, would have to have some idea.

Which goes back to maybe it's luke, but you'd think that the last thing luke would want to do is have kids after his relationship with his father, and even if he did would he want to hide them away just like he was?

The old dude was Lor San Tekka, there are a lot of "Fill in the gap" books and comic books and games that have come out in the past year or so to fill in the gap between Return of the Jedi and Force Awakens and he's a large part of them.

I really feel like the arc the story is going to take is that of Kylo Ren eventually overtaking his master and becoming the ultimate badass. That's one thing we never got to see in the original movie or the prequels; yes Darth Vader eventually kills the emporer but he never overtakes him as the Lord of the Sith. This is already a 'redemption' story about Finn, so I doubt Kylo Ren is going to have a story arc where he becomes a good guy at the last second, so it only makes sense that he become the ultimate badass, and I think that's why they have portrayed him as a badass but sort of an unruly conflicted teenager; he is still growing and I doubt we will see him at his awesomest until the third movie. In some ways I think the movies will end up being as much about Kylo as it is Rey.

I also thought the movie was excellent. I'm a moderate star wars fan, but I can't imagine what's not to like. There are a couple things you could easily nit-pick but over all I can't wait to see it again.

Most of the complaints I've seen are from people who say it's just a re-hash of the original movie; yeah there are similarities but that's sort of what makes it star wars, and after the crap show the prequels were, I think it's good they played it a little safe and kept the story somewhat familiar. If it was too different and unfamiliar people would complain it's not 'star wars' enough.

and anyways even if we do just say it's a derivative of the first movie, even if that's exactly how you feel, I still can't see how you dislike it. The camerawork, sets, and cinematography is epic. The actors they plucked out of relative obscurity are amazing and the characters they portray have more depth to them than any of the original characters in my opinion. The pacing of the movie is pretty awesome.

Here are my only flaws and they are minor:

1.) The two CG characters stand out a lot; the lady at the cantina and Snoke. Just because andy Serkis is an awesome actor as far as expressions and his work being mo-capped isn't a reason to use him in every single movie. And I actually liked the cantina lady, I forget her name, and he was very well done for a CG character with expressiveness and warmth. But she still stood out as CG in a movie where all the other characters are not. It just seemed like an odd choice to not go with practical effects and just have an actress in that role. But I think they will learn from this movie and probably stay away from those in the next two. Snoke will obviously need to return but since he's just been a projection/hologram thus far they still have an opportunity to work on him a little more. The fact that my gut tells me Kylo Ren is going to kill him off in the second movie anyways before taking an apprentice means it probably wont be an issue.

2.) R2D2 suddenly waking up was weird and it would be good to know what triggered it. But I imagine that we will find that out at the very beginning of the next movie so big-picture wise it'll probably be fine.

3.) Phasma - would have been nice to see her more but I think she will be a huge part of the next movie. I assume they didn't want to throw too many characters at us at once. people are complaining that she was featured in so much merchandise but had such a small role; well, that's what 30+ years of boba fett worship will get you.

4.) Coincidences - there are a lot of them in this movie; most explained away in the original trilogy as the force twisting fate to make things that need to happen, happen, but there are too many that could have had other explanations easily enough.

5.) As soon as you saw Han was going to confront Kylo on the bridge, you already knew what was coming. It would have been more impactful if they had gone past that scene so you think "oh ok phew I thought they were going to kill han!" and then doing it when you didn't expect it. it was pretty telegraphed. However who knows? Maybe that abruptness would have been too much of a WTF/Game of thrones moment. Perhaps it was better to see it coming.

those are my only real gripes and they are minor; I loved this movie and rank it right up with Empire. Just too much good stuff when you combine the visuals with the great actor discoveries, amazing cinematography, and a story that is derivative, yes, but I think necessarily so.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:21 pm
  • Was Tekka in the Shattered Empire series? I breezed through it so fast I barely retained any of it, I'll have to give it another go. Don't remember him mentioned in any of the new canon novels, but I could have missed it.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:22 pm
  • I did appreciate the way they differentiated Kylo Ren from Vader, in that when Vader got pissed off, his anger was cold and caluculating, very methodical, while Ren had a very hot, fiery, destructive anger.
    "By Grabthar's hammer, by the Sons of Warvan, you shall be avenged."

RIP Alan Rickman, 1946-2016
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:30 pm
  • Kylo Ren I think will go down as being almost up there with Vader. I know that's probably blasphemy and you obviously can't surpass nearly 40 years of infamy but I'm not sure how you get close to vader any better.

The fact that he's a loose cannon makes him awesome. knowing his real name Ben Solo named after Ben Kenobi just makes the fact that his parents gave him such a hopeful name and yet he's turned into such a mess was an awesome touch. Knowing he was the guy that likely wrecked Luke's jedi academy you can totally picture him learning about his Grandfather Darth Vader and being seduced by wanting to live up to his legend and have his power. Too many movie villains are so totally unrelatable and the best ones are the ones you can relate too, and he's totally that way, down to taking off his helmet and you expect to see a ghoulish monster and instead it's a somewhat goofy looking young guy who you've seen be both powerful and also unstable, confident in his abilities but also insecure about not being powerful enough.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:48 pm
  • Real sets. Mostly practical effects. Characters we can actually care about. No Jar Jar. No Hayden.

Yes! Star Wars is back!
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:50 am
  • I enjoyed it immensely but I'm not sure where it will sit ultimately in my list of "best" Star Wars films

It's currently a little behind the original trilogy but miles ahead of the prequel trilogy
    UK Seahawk since 25 November 1984
    retro74
    NET Practice Squad

Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:51 am
  • As my brother said after the film "JJ-A made me forget all about JJ-B!" :)
    UK Seahawk since 25 November 1984
    retro74
    NET Practice Squad

Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:07 am
  • One thing making me reconsider my speculation that Kylo and Rey are siblings is that if true, and Luke has no kids, once Luke dies (you know it will happen) that will be the end of the iconic "skywalker" name. I'm not sure that is something Disney would want to happen, there is too much no$talgia involved with it.

So it's making me think that Luke had a wife and Rey is his daughter and she as a child was training at the academy before Kylo went crazy, and probably killed Luke's wife in the process. So ultimately this will lead to an epic showdown between Luke and Kylo that will probably cost Luke his life. He did something to block Rey's memories and maybe even Kylos
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:53 am
  • Really enjoyed the film but here are my nitpicks anyway:

As someone else mentioned, not a fan of the the 2 CGI'd characters. As amazing as the technology has become, they still look completely fake and i find it distracting.

Abrams bumped up the humor just a smidge too much in my opinion, Felt a little slapsticky in some scenes.

Overall plot seemed like a rehash from other Star Wars films cobbled together.

An over reliance of the old characters. Not sure I needed to see senior citizens running around saving the galaxy. I would have preferred some cameos instead.

For being such an advanced civilization, why are there no safety regulations? Who thought it was a good idea to eschew handrails for that long walkway that Han Solo fell from? Also, where are the moving walkways? These massive death stars and everyone just walks around? Those buildings are like 1000 square miles each.

I love Oscar Issac but he felt like an odd casting choice with his New York accent.

I'll probably think of a few more but again, I really enjoyed the film. :D
    marko358
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:06 am
  • I think Rey is Luke's daughter. I didnt notice it but a few people said that when we finally see luke that he's standing over a grave, which would be Rey's mom.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:34 am
  • One thing they left out, in my mind, was the encounter with the big monster. One could argue it was the attack of the tentacled one(s) on Han and Chewies barge, but no.

In all of the previous films there was at least one giant alien creature that was kept, fed, escaped from, or was slain by a character. In the first, it was the trash compactor beast. In ESB it was the giant asteroid worm. In ROJ it was Jabbas pig-eating pet and the mighty Sarlacc. In P-Menace it was the "big fish" and the "bigger fish". In Clones it was the arena beasts. Finally, in Rev of the Sith we had numerous funky creature appearances, and one that was ridden around by Obi Wan.

The Sarlacc's cousin spitting out the tie fighter in the desert was weak, I wanted to see a huge, gnarly, ugly, space creature eat people or something. I missed that in this one.
    "...Seattle has become the capital city of the New NFL" - Kip Earlywine
    :les: Remembering "The Radish"...
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Lead Admin *
    * NET Lead Admin *

Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:07 am
  • Although there were some things I really liked and nothing I really hated(unlike the prequels) I didn't love the movie. My biggest complaint was that the entire thing felt rushed/too fast paced..there was too much action and not enough character and story development. I really liked Rey and Kylo Ren and wish they had developed more of their stories. The main story with finding Luke, new death star, etc wasnt really compelling to me at all, and despite all the action, the only real tension I felt was at the end when Rey, Fin, and Kylo faced off. That was a great scene.
    salamander
    NET Rookie

Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:49 pm
  • My 2 cents..

The whole Death Star writ large I really didnt mind for one reason.. I think to right the ship JJ sacrificed originality on purpose, getting us back on familiar ground. This whole movie was about assuring fans Star Wars is back. The first line of the movie essentially tells us that, "This will start to make things right".

I love Kylo Ren. In the end I may end up liking him more.. less bad ass..I put him roughly on the level of Luke at the beginning of Empire but with a couple developed skills. Loved that hes not in control of even his dark emotions, loved that hes tempted by the light, that hes a bit of a screw up actually.

I dont think Rey is Kylo Rens sister. I dont even think she is Lukes daughter. Neither of those make sense. Why would they have hidden her well before Kylo turned to the dark side? I think she may be a non relative that is connected in another way somehow.. the way she is talked to could indicate she is related to Luke but it could also mean her new family would be Jedis. I really, really hope she isnt a twin. One thing that used to drive me insane about the now non-canon stuff was that obsession with making everything about Star Wars into a sort of rule.. Luke and Leia are twins...so.. they have to have twins. bleck.

I actually like that people are frustrated by the lack of back story on some things.. that IS Star Wars. Thats what made it cool.. they would drop terms like "The Clone Wars" and NOT explain it. That was a major flaw in the prequels..the need to explain stuff that shouldnt be or didnt need to be.

Ok..but.. That said......

Theres something I dont get. At all.

Thats the..geography of the movie. Does the Star Killer base move? When it blows up the 4 planets..they can see that in the sky from where the heroes are..at Maz's place. But then the Star Killer is getting ready to blow up the Resistance base.. it eats another sun...and is going to shoot.. I dont get WHERE it is.. and although Im assuming it was Coruscant that got blown up they glossed over this so fast I wonder if that is right or if the Republic was based somewhere else.

I loved some of the tension in unexpected places.. so I guess I disagree with salamander above. When Kylo Ren is trying to get info from Rey, and she unexpectedly resists.. so much going on there without anything going on. It was great. There was more emotional content in that scene than in the prequels in total I thought. When Kylo Ren stares at Finn after Finn doesnt participate in the massacre.. that was also interesting..

Kylo Rens time stopping or blaster bolt stopping power was flat out cool and good on them for finding new skills to give connected to the Force.

Halftime is over..will wrap this up!
    “If somebody thinks they're a hedgehog, presumably you just give them a mirror and a few pictures of hedgehogs and tell them to sort it out for themselves.”
    Vetamur
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:33 pm
  • My biggest gripe was Hux, but more the casting choice than the character. That guy just seemed out of place. Gleeson is more of a "good guy" actor and he just put out a "I'm playing a bad guy, so I'm just going to put on a mad face the whole movie" vibe.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:11 pm
  • Harrison Ford tried to convince Lucas to kill off Han Solo in the original trilogy, so I wasn't surprised he was able to convince JJ Abrams to do it now. I thought the way he went out was a very worthy end for the character.

As for Ren, I love that we can see the humanity and the struggle of Kylo Ren and it makes him a much more compelling and tragic character. I hope we see him grow as a villain now so that we can really see the transformation of him becoming this ultimate monster rather than just being introduced to him as a hardened bad guy like we always see in movies. I am excited for the potential, and Han's death really helped set that stage.

Now Luke will be able to take over the screen time, be the mentor to Rey, and we'll learn more about what happened in the past and we'll see him in action. I love that we have all that to look forward to still.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:30 pm
  • It wasn't Coruscant that was destroyed, btw. It was the capitol of the republic, as far as I know, but that's not Coruscant anymore. It was a system called Hosnian. Apparently the capitol moves around now based on elections so who knows exactly what's going on on Coruscant at this point. Hopefully we'll find out.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:30 pm
  • Hawkstorian wrote:I like that we don't know much about Rey, makes me very interested in the next movie.

Killing Han was probably inevitable -- and his death certainly propelled that story forward so I think it worked.

Agreed. Had to happen. It would have been pretty bogus if the only guy to die in the film was Max Von Sydow's character. Now the story has gravitas.

My impressions.

1) This is Abrams' turf and he's far better here than with Trek, as I predicted. Well crafted film all through.

2) The plot being derivative...eh, I've got a theory that Abrams listened to Patton Oswalt's prequel rant a few years ago (i.e. "I don't give a shit where the stuff I love comes from! I just love the stuff I love!") and made that his mantra for the film. It worked. The callbacks weren't nearly as intrusive as Trek's were (save for the trash compactor line, that one thudded). This movie can get away with narrative rhymes with ANH and TPM, because it's a good film. That said, they do need to explore uncharted territory in Episode VIII.

3) The new casting needed to be stellar, and it absolutely was. Ridley, Boyega, Driver, and Isaac, all well-shaped and brilliantly acted characters. You actually want to see more of them in the next film, especially in different arrangements. I can't imagine a single pairing of those four that would disappoint.

4) I'm casting my Best New Actor vote for Driver (though it was a tough choice). He was fascinating to watch. Absolutely sold the inner turmoil. I was surprised that the character would work better without the mask, but he did.

5) Like I said...Solo was a joy to see again, but he needed to go. The new story arc needed weight beyond the "we lost Kylo to the dark side", real stakes, and Solo's death accomplished that. He went out on his own terms - he chose to confront Kylo, didn't have to, knew what he was probably signing up for.

6) The Falcon, C3PO, and Luke's lightsaber: pitch-perfect entrances for all three.

7) Smart of JJ, I thought, to leave questions hanging for Episode VIII. Morsels to bring people back into the theater and keep up the watercooler talk.

8) Leia seems to have been smoking for far too long, but she was still great in every scene. I hope they find things for her to do in the next two films.

9) There was a ton of very effective trailer misdirection for the film. The focus on Boyega's swordsmanship left me completely not expecting Rey's own prowess. Fun stuff.

10) Loved the lightsaber fights. Would have liked a bit more pulled-back view, but Abrams made the right choice for the tone: savage, hacking, vengeful and ugly.

11) Of course R2-D2 had the rest of the map. Did you really expect this movie to break the pattern of some action of R2's saving the galaxy as we know it? Grinworthy droid convention when he woke up, too.

12) Greg Grunberg, LOL. Still Abrams' lucky charm.

13) Apparently the stormtrooper that Rey "Not the Droids You're Looked For"'d into releasing her restraints was...Daniel Craig. I learned that after I got home from the film. Next time I see it, I'll be matching his movements to his Bond character and his voice to what I remember of his American accent in "Tomb Raider" and "Road to Perdition".

14) That final "May the Force be with you" was perfect...

15) ...as was the wordless final scene. I don't know why, it was just powerful. Luke looked just like he should, and Daisy Ridley can just straight-up act. Her character had been through hell to get there, and Ridley sold it.

On to Episode VIII!
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:43 pm
  • For all you and I disagree with elsewhere Montana your thoughts almost exactly echo my own on the movie. The last scene, probably BECAUSE it had no dialog was very powerful for me and my eyes, not for the first time, welled up.
    “If somebody thinks they're a hedgehog, presumably you just give them a mirror and a few pictures of hedgehogs and tell them to sort it out for themselves.”
    Vetamur
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:17 pm
  • Something not much talked about but I'm pretty sure that Finns father is Michael strahan. All that's missing is the gap in his teeth.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:25 am
  • marko358 wrote:Really enjoyed the film but here are my nitpicks anyway:

As someone else mentioned, not a fan of the the 2 CGI'd characters. As amazing as the technology has become, they still look completely fake and i find it distracting.

Abrams bumped up the humor just a smidge too much in my opinion, Felt a little slapsticky in some scenes.

Overall plot seemed like a rehash from other Star Wars films cobbled together.

An over reliance of the old characters. Not sure I needed to see senior citizens running around saving the galaxy. I would have preferred some cameos instead.

For being such an advanced civilization, why are there no safety regulations? Who thought it was a good idea to eschew handrails for that long walkway that Han Solo fell from? Also, where are the moving walkways? These massive death stars and everyone just walks around? Those buildings are like 1000 square miles each.

I love Oscar Issac but he felt like an odd casting choice with his New York accent.

I'll probably think of a few more but again, I really enjoyed the film. :D

Disagree about the old characters. Seeing Luke at the end gave me goose bumps. So awesome.

Overall, I absolutely loved it. 9/10
    Rob12
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:40 am
  • I think Rey is a Solo or Skywalker. It just makes sense to me. And someone else caught it too, but Luke was at a grave at the end. The flashback scenes... I don't know, but I'm leaning towards her being Luke's daughter.

Who was she waiting for at Jakku? The CG character (can't remember her name) told her that "he" was never coming back. Anyone have any ideas about that?
    Rob12
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:41 am
  • Vetamur wrote:For all you and I disagree with elsewhere Montana your thoughts almost exactly echo my own on the movie. The last scene, probably BECAUSE it had no dialog was very powerful for me and my eyes, not for the first time, welled up.

I'll put the last shot of Force Awakens up against any shot in cinema history for iconic emotional beauty. Stunning.

I loved Force Awakens. It's not a perfect movie, but it made things right. My random thoughts;

1. It was ironic that Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher were actually the weak links in Force Awakens, acting wise anyway. Their scenes were the cheesiest and stilted of any scenes.........and it was actually the young actors doing all the heavy emotional lifting, IN scenes with Fisher and Ford.

2. What a breath of fresh air to see ACTUAL REAL locations. Ireland, Iceland, UK, New Mexico, Arabian Peninsula. You mean you can interject CGI into living breathing scenery that gives your scenes palatable weight and scope and not jack off in front of a green screen making a cartoon just because you can?

3. Home run on ALL the young actors. I was especially impressed with Daisy Ridley, she has it all. Fierce, emoted like a boss, athletic to pull off the light saber duels........and as likable as an actor can get. Brilliant choice.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:51 am
  • Loved every minute of it.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:59 am
  • Vetamur wrote:I love Kylo Ren. In the end I may end up liking him more.. less bad ass..I put him roughly on the level of Luke at the beginning of Empire but with a couple developed skills. Loved that hes not in control of even his dark emotions, loved that hes tempted by the light, that hes a bit of a screw up actually.

OMG yes. I actually felt so sorry for him when Rey realized that he didn't NEED the mask he was wearing... that it was an affectation. The kid is so torn and trying so hard to be something that he's probably not. I'm fascinated by the character and want to see more of his backstory in the next film.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:05 am
  • volsunghawk wrote:
    Vetamur wrote:I love Kylo Ren. In the end I may end up liking him more.. less bad ass..I put him roughly on the level of Luke at the beginning of Empire but with a couple developed skills. Loved that hes not in control of even his dark emotions, loved that hes tempted by the light, that hes a bit of a screw up actually.

OMG yes. I actually felt so sorry for him when Rey realized that he didn't NEED the mask he was wearing... that it was an affectation. The kid is so torn and trying so hard to be something that he's probably not. I'm fascinated by the character and want to see more of his backstory in the next film.

Obviously very similar to Vader, but unlike Vader Abrams allowed Adam Driver to take the mask off and act so we can see the pain and torment..............and not just the big reveal and an old sad white guy inside a suit.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:45 am

Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:15 pm
  • Don't forget Daniel Craig as the trooper that Rey jedi mind-tricked. "I will drop my gun."

And Simon Pegg as the scrap dealer.
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:57 pm
  • ‘The Force Awakens’ Is the Least Interesting Star Wars Yet
    I’m not exactly delighted to be adding another branch to the Star Wars take tree. But the reviews are so effusive, success so roundly declared, I can’t help it. Because we’ve been played. We’ve been served up a pretty unoriginal reboot that adds few, if any, new ideas to our greatest commercial mythology. It’s the latest and maybe largest sign of a drift towards big screen sci-fi monoculture. And we’re lapping it up.

Clearly, Force Awakens is far from the worst Star Wars movie, but it might actually be the least interesting. In some ways, the triumph of this, Star Wars 2.0—and its predictable, nostalgia-reliant, repackaged thrills—is a defeat for what made the trilogy extraordinary in the first place—its madcap sci-fi originality and genre-bending experimentation.

Force Awakens is the most derivative Star War; as some commenters have pointed out, it’s almost a scene-by-scene remake of A New Hope. At first that’s a huge relief (no prequel-scale disaster in sight) and exciting, even. We watch imperial troops from a galactic empire pursue a robot with stolen plans across a desert planet and into the care of a young loner with mysterious powers who was then aided by a wisecracking smuggler and his space ape in a seedy interstellar tavern where cheerful aliens play catchy orbital music, and we all grin wide.

But by the time the Rebellion/Resistance is blowing up the third incarnation of the Death Star in almost as many films, doesn’t the Force seem to be contracting a bit? We’ve been here so, so many times. And that’s to say nothing of the host of callbacks to past plot points, cameos from beloved characters from the original films, and the familiar John Williams crescendos.

Ultimately, Force Awakens is more a product of the same market logic that gave rise to the Marvel Universe films—a logic that rewards emulation and nostalgia above all; reusing ideas, characters, and narrative arcs that have already proven lucrative—than it is of the imagination that launched the series nearly four decades ago.
    marko358
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:09 pm
  • marko358 wrote:‘The Force Awakens’ Is the Least Interesting Star Wars Yet
    I’m not exactly delighted to be adding another branch to the Star Wars take tree. But the reviews are so effusive, success so roundly declared, I can’t help it. Because we’ve been played. We’ve been served up a pretty unoriginal reboot that adds few, if any, new ideas to our greatest commercial mythology. It’s the latest and maybe largest sign of a drift towards big screen sci-fi monoculture. And we’re lapping it up.

Clearly, Force Awakens is far from the worst Star Wars movie, but it might actually be the least interesting. In some ways, the triumph of this, Star Wars 2.0—and its predictable, nostalgia-reliant, repackaged thrills—is a defeat for what made the trilogy extraordinary in the first place—its madcap sci-fi originality and genre-bending experimentation.

Force Awakens is the most derivative Star War; as some commenters have pointed out, it’s almost a scene-by-scene remake of A New Hope. At first that’s a huge relief (no prequel-scale disaster in sight) and exciting, even. We watch imperial troops from a galactic empire pursue a robot with stolen plans across a desert planet and into the care of a young loner with mysterious powers who was then aided by a wisecracking smuggler and his space ape in a seedy interstellar tavern where cheerful aliens play catchy orbital music, and we all grin wide.

But by the time the Rebellion/Resistance is blowing up the third incarnation of the Death Star in almost as many films, doesn’t the Force seem to be contracting a bit? We’ve been here so, so many times. And that’s to say nothing of the host of callbacks to past plot points, cameos from beloved characters from the original films, and the familiar John Williams crescendos.

Ultimately, Force Awakens is more a product of the same market logic that gave rise to the Marvel Universe films—a logic that rewards emulation and nostalgia above all; reusing ideas, characters, and narrative arcs that have already proven lucrative—than it is of the imagination that launched the series nearly four decades ago.

Another writer who doesn't get it.

It's like they think Abrams and his writers are stupid, it's on PURPOSE idiots. This is what the fans wanted, to revisit their old friends, to get the bad taste of the Lucas prequels out of our mouths.............Abrams understood what Lucas couldn't, that he had to go back before going forward.

THAT'S why the reviews are "effusive." Force Awakens is exactly what Star Wars needed, an incorporation of the old while getting us excited about the new. To pay homage and respect.

If Abrams just came out with an all new story (which he is more than capable of doing) with all new characters and no Han, no Leia, no Luke, no Chewy, etc.........then Force Awakens would have felt every bit as hollow and wrong as the prequels did.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:31 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Another writer who doesn't get it.

It's like they think Abrams and his writers are stupid, it's on PURPOSE idiots. This is what the fans wanted, to revisit their old friends, to get the bad taste of the Lucas prequels out of our mouths.............Abrams understood what Lucas couldn't, that he had to go back before going forward.

THAT'S why the reviews are "effusive." Force Awakens is exactly what Star Wars needed, an incorporation of the old while getting us excited about the new. To pay homage and respect.

If Abrams just came out with an all new story (which he is more than capable of doing) with all new characters and no Han, no Leia, no Luke, no Chewy, etc.........then Force Awakens would have felt every bit as hollow and wrong as the prequels did.

I think there could have been a happy middle ground. Upon reflection, the movie felt like a complete rehash of Episode IV. At no point did I feel worried about anything happening on the screen. Was there any doubt that the 3rd version of the X-Wing fighters racing in at the end wasn't going to end the same, with the death star exploding? And think about that....they had the exact same major plot point for 3 different movies. Destroy the death star, in the exact same fashion as before. That's just completely lame.

I get that they were trying to avoid the disastrous story telling of Lucas' recent trilogy, but did they have to literally use the same bag of tricks?

It was a good popcorn movie to watch but it's definitely nothing I'd go pay to see again.
    marko358
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:05 pm
  • I'd watch them blow up the death star 20 times, as long as the rest of the movie is as fun and enjoyable as this one is. Everybody's entitled to their own opinion but I feel sorry for people, specifically Star Wars fans, who can't just enjoy this movie, this moment, for what it is. Because it's beautifully and masterfully done and accomplished exactly what I wanted it to, make me feel Star Wars again like I did when I was a kid. Absolutely nailed it.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:12 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:I'd watch them blow up the death star 20 times, as long as the rest of the movie is as fun and enjoyable as this one is. Everybody's entitled to their own opinion but I feel sorry for people, specifically Star Wars fans, who can't just enjoy this movie, this moment, for what it is. Because it's beautifully and masterfully done and accomplished exactly what I wanted it to, make me feel Star Wars again like I did when I was a kid. Absolutely nailed it.

Feel sorry for? It's a movie for crying out loud and I did enjoy it as I watched. I just felt it was unimaginative and ultimately forgettable.
    marko358
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:22 pm
  • Yeah, that movie made me feel fantastic. Like borderline Seahawks winning the Super Bowl fantastic. Movies just don't do that anymore. So I'm sorry to you and others that didn't get that same feeling because it's thoroughly enjoyable.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:04 pm
  • Completely random question since I just saw a tweet that brought up Finn being a janitor. With arguably the most important mission for the bad guys (don't recall the name of their empire) at the beginning of the film, where it's critical that you obtain this map of where Luke Skywalker is, why did they bring in 3rd rate troops consisting of janitors? Wouldn't they bring in the equivalent of the Army Rangers and/or Elite special forces? :lol:
    marko358
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:15 pm
  • I just realized you're the same one that was bitching about the lack of hands rails on the bridge where Han died. That's no way to enjoy a space soap opera man!
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:15 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:I just realized you're the same one that was bitching about the lack of hands rails on the bridge where Han died. That's no way to enjoy a space soap opera man!

LOL. I'm too old and cynical to enjoy things.
    marko358
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:32 am
  • marko358 wrote:Completely random question since I just saw a tweet that brought up Finn being a janitor. With arguably the most important mission for the bad guys (don't recall the name of their empire) at the beginning of the film, where it's critical that you obtain this map of where Luke Skywalker is, why did they bring in 3rd rate troops consisting of janitors? Wouldn't they bring in the equivalent of the Army Rangers and/or Elite special forces? :lol:

They didnt know hed been that til after he was on the planet.

yes.. if you compare the movie to Army Ranger tactics, its unsound stuff going on all the way around.

I join Zeb in feeling sorry that you dont know how to enjoy a Space Opera..a fantasy movie. Pretty sure youre the guy who repeats over and over again while watching LOTR "why dont they just use the Eagles?"
    Vetamur
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:02 am
  • Vetamur wrote:
    marko358 wrote:Completely random question since I just saw a tweet that brought up Finn being a janitor. With arguably the most important mission for the bad guys (don't recall the name of their empire) at the beginning of the film, where it's critical that you obtain this map of where Luke Skywalker is, why did they bring in 3rd rate troops consisting of janitors? Wouldn't they bring in the equivalent of the Army Rangers and/or Elite special forces? :lol:

They didnt know hed been that til after he was on the planet.

yes.. if you compare the movie to Army Ranger tactics, its unsound stuff going on all the way around.

I join Zeb in feeling sorry that you dont know how to enjoy a Space Opera..a fantasy movie. Pretty sure youre the guy who repeats over and over again while watching LOTR "why dont they just use the Eagles?"

Again with the feeling sorry. My goodness, get a grip.

And for your information, I love the original Star Wars. You know why, because it was original. I was completely blown away. I felt the same for a lot of movies in my lifetime.

How about this, you tell me which movie I'm talking about:

The opening sequence has a large space ship, seemingly full of bad guys coming after someone. They take over where the good guys are, shooting blasters at everyone because they're looking for someone specific. That person gets captured but their little droid escapes with vital information. Fast forward to a desert landscape where a loner, fostered teenager goes on with their boring life until they run into that droid. Before you know it the bad guys are after the teenager and droid but they run into a renegade and his 7 foot tall sasquatch, escaping in his old school but fast space ship. Eventually they go to a bar playing goofy music with a bunch of funny looking aliens. There's a mission to go to the death star to save one of the main characters. Two of the main characters watch as the main villain kills a very important character. Everyone is sad. They save everyone from the death star. The X-Wings ultimately blow up the death star. We learn that one or more of the characters are related to other important characters.

Again, this movie was enjoyable but nowhere in the same league as the original. I'm not a big fan of formulaic, been there done that type of cinema.
    marko358
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:39 am
  • marko358 wrote:
    It was a good popcorn movie to watch but it's definitely nothing I'd go pay to see again.

I think it's safe to say you're in the minority, as evident by ticket sales and people seeing Force Awakens 3-4 times already.

IMO it was just familiar enough, while still having some very exciting spoiler-esque moments.

It's not the best Star Wars movie, but it's right behind Empire Strikes Back and on even ground with New Hope, and if it sets the table for the next two movies like everyone thinks it will? Home run.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:58 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    marko358 wrote:

I think it's safe to say you're in the minority, as evident by ticket sales and people seeing Force Awakens 3-4 times already.

IMO it was just familiar enough, while still having some very exciting spoiler-esque moments.

It's not the best Star Wars movie, but it's right behind Empire Strikes Back and on even ground with New Hope, and if it sets the table for the next two movies like everyone thinks it will? Home run.

Shouldn't this be in the "How Dumb is America" thread?
    Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:08 am
  • DTexHawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    marko358 wrote:

Shouldn't this be in the "How Dumb is America" thread?

I like how people think Star Wars needs to be on the level of Citizen Kane to be worthy of their praise.

George Lucas made a simple spaghetti western in space that just so happened to have some deeper themes on good vs. evil that resonated with millions of movie fans. Now we're all adults looking at Force Awakens through our cynical adult eyes, and can't reconcile the fact that recreating childhood magic is impossible, so no new Star Wars movie is going to be good enough.

Here's the fact, it's a good movie. It's got a 95% on Rotten Tomatoes and is universally loved by critics and fans. If you don't think that, then like I said you don't get it. That's not an everybody else thing, that's a you thing.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:20 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information