I can't find plastic tablets?!?

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
I can't find plastic tablets?!?
Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:29 pm
  • I just bought a cheap Android tablet, with a nice leather case/keyboard combo and it lasted all of a week before the screen broke. I'm hard on stuff, I ride a motorcycle, or bicycle, so by necessity stuff things in backpacks. I'm surprised it's case didn't protect it, merely riding in my pack the screen cracked and the LED behind it died.

I hear the cheap ones you buy at Wal-Mart are plastic, but I'd hate to count on that, and I'm familiar enough with Wal-Mart to know you can't count on their employees knowing anything about their products.

I know, plastic screens have their issues, but I need the durability, and being as I'm only looking for a basic browsing Android tablet, at low cost you'd think I'd be able to find it. Unfortunately, seems to me almost all of them are glass, but most of them I can't even find enough info on to confirm that even. At a loss here on what to do. For the kind of cheapie I want, but the time it got scratched or cloudy, I'd likely be replacing it anyway. Just want something that can take a beating and work for a year at least. With my lifestyle I can't count on glass. I've found Gorilla glass to be next tow worthless shatter wise as well.

I mean I buy cheap plastic phones and they are durable as all getout. Sure they scratch up a bit, but scratched is still much more usable than cracked to me anyway.

Any suggestions?
    SeAhAwKeR4life
    NET Veteran

Re: I can't find plastic tablets?!?
Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:36 pm
  • Get a padded backpack that's designed to protect that kind of equipment.
    "...and now they got a bicycle!"
    Sac
    .NOW with Modership

Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:51 pm
  • It's a valid suggestion, but probably not gonna be the best one for me as there are other reasons I want durable, than just being in a pack. Sometimes I have to overload the pack significantly.

Cost is a huge factor too, and those kinda backpacks aren't cheap either. I really prefer my plastic phones, and I never break them. Anything over 3.5 inches and glass is just about sure to be broken by me within just a few months, whereas I've abused my plastic phones and they keep on ticking. I don't get why it should be so hard to find something specific like this.
    SeAhAwKeR4life
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:56 pm
  • You're either going to have to suck it up and buy a good pack, or wait for the flexible screens to come out.
    "...and now they got a bicycle!"
    Sac
    .NOW with Modership

Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:59 pm

Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:02 pm

Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:21 pm
  • A lot of adults buy the kids ver of the fire tablets from Amazon because they are pretty durable. Plus it's a fully functional tablet still.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YYZEQ1G/ref=fs_ods_fs_tab_fk
    The LOLs of the many outweigh the shame of the few
    Msfann
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:58 am

Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:31 pm
  • Probably have to find a tablet with Gorilla Glass. Did a search and there's a few from Asus and Dell for around $100.
    "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."---LP Hartley
    Trenchbroom
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed May 04, 2016 7:38 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information