Tuna salad.

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Tuna salad.
Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:46 pm
  • Down here in the south, it's very common to put stuff like, apples, pecans and grapes in it.
    Although it's not terrible, their way, I like to use a little bit of onion, celery and a touch of sweet relish.

I've actually been in some (drunken) heated debates over tuna salad recipes.
    What do y'all have to say about TUNA SALAD?

Edit: BTW, I only use solid white in water.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Re: Tuna salad.
Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:44 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:Down here in the south, it's very common to put stuff like, apples, pecans and grapes in it.
    Although it's not terrible, their way, I like to use a little bit of onion, celery and a touch of sweet relish.

I've actually been in some (drunken) heated debates over tuna salad recipes.
    What do y'all have to say about TUNA SALAD?

Edit: BTW, I only use solid white in water.

I am big on tuna salad wraps. (I'm down here in Tucson so I generally use fresh baked Tortilla's instead of bread for most things.)

My favorite recipe is chopped celery, onions, green onions, sweet pickles (or relish), and a granny smith apple.

I chop two stalks of celery, and then fry it plain (no oil or anything) in a pan for about 5 minutes just to soften it a little and release the flavor.

I do the same with the onions, 1 quarter onion chopped fine, and about 3 green onion stalks chopped up -- these I toss in with the celery for an additional 2 minutes (2 minutes only) so the celery gets 7 minutes of browning and the onions get only 2 minutes... this way they are full of flavor but all the goodness hasn't been cooked out of them, also the celery will still be slightly crisp.

Then I chop up 3-4 sweet pickles, and 1 medium or small granny smith apple.

Combine that with 2 large or 3 small cans of white tuna in water, and whatever amount of best foods mayo you want in there. (I tend to go super light on the mayo). Then chill it all for about an hour or so.

Often I will grill the flour tortilla with just a sprinkle of Monterrey or Pepper Jack cheese, then put the cold tuna on top of that, wrap it and serve.
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:23 pm
  • I make fresh guacamole and use it to mix the tuna in place of mayo. Also onions and garlic, obviously.
    "...and now they got a bicycle!"
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOW with Modership

Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:51 pm
  • The more peanut butter the better.
    the play was called 'Charlie Brown'...

"you don't 'feel' in Beast Mode....it feels you"
    HomerJHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:00 pm
  • I'm sorry but Ahi is the only way to go if you are eating tuna. The shit tuna from a can is gross, in any way they pack it.
    < "The Seahawks Drafted Aliens"
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:20 pm
  • A bit of mayo, old bay, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Mix in a good bit of Cholula hot sauce. Serve on toast with cheese of choice.

That's just the way I make it usually.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:14 am
  • Largent80 wrote:I'm sorry but Ahi is the only way to go if you are eating tuna. The shit tuna from a can is gross, in any way they pack it.

Here in the desert quality seafood is rare and precious.

When you get your hands on it, you sear, bake, broil... et

You do not waste it by turning it into sandwich spread. :twisted:
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:10 pm
  • Maelstrom787 wrote:A bit of mayo, old bay, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Mix in a good bit of Cholula hot sauce. Serve on toast with cheese of choice.

I don't put any sauce in it, but this is the closest to what I do. I'm not a fan of a bunch of extra shit added in.
    mbtitleist
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:07 pm
  • mbtitleist wrote:
    Maelstrom787 wrote:A bit of mayo, old bay, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Mix in a good bit of Cholula hot sauce. Serve on toast with cheese of choice.

I don't put any sauce in it, but this is the closest to what I do. I'm not a fan of a bunch of extra shit added in.

Count me in with you 2. I do Old Bay, a little Ms. Dash, and some mayo and call it good. I like salmon salad better than tuna in all honesty though.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    2015 Adopt-a-rookie: Kristjan Sokoli
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:53 am
  • razgriz737 wrote:
    mbtitleist wrote:
    Maelstrom787 wrote:A bit of mayo, old bay, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Mix in a good bit of Cholula hot sauce. Serve on toast with cheese of choice.

Count me in with you 2. I do Old Bay, a little Ms. Dash, and some mayo and call it good. I like salmon salad better than tuna in all honesty though.

Same.. actually the only time I eat mayo is with Tuna (is that weird? I honestly can't stand mayo with anything else)

Add some crisp bacon crisps, throw it on bread with extra sharp cheddar and maybe sliced avocado, a side of your best chips and its summer baby
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:48 pm
  • The_Z_Man wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:I'm sorry but Ahi is the only way to go if you are eating tuna. The shit tuna from a can is gross, in any way they pack it.

Seared AHI steaks is what I am referring to, not some sort of crap tuna paste.

The perfect recipe for a 1" STEAK IS,

USE COCONUT OIL, GET IT REAL HOT, THROW IN WHOLE PEPPERCORNS AND KEEP SWIRLING THEM AROUND UNTIL THEY BEGIN TO POP. THEN DROP IN THE STEAK, LOOK AT THE SECOND HAND ON THE CLOCK, 1 1/2 MINUTES LATER FLIP IT OVER FOR 1 1/2 MINUTES AND DONE.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:02 pm
  • Dang Rob, that sounds like you have worked in Hells Kitchen. LOL
    Cats will rule the world...just ask my cat.
    "Unfortunately, common sense is the least common of all the senses..." - Mark Twain
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:52 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:
    The_Z_Man wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:I'm sorry but Ahi is the only way to go if you are eating tuna. The shit tuna from a can is gross, in any way they pack it.

Seared AHI steaks is what I am referring to, not some sort of crap tuna paste.

The perfect recipe for a 1" STEAK IS,

USE COCONUT OIL, GET IT REAL HOT, THROW IN WHOLE PEPPERCORNS AND KEEP SWIRLING THEM AROUND UNTIL THEY BEGIN TO POP. THEN DROP IN THE STEAK, LOOK AT THE SECOND HAND ON THE CLOCK, 1 1/2 MINUTES LATER FLIP IT OVER FOR 1 1/2 MINUTES AND DONE.

Aha! I thought you were suggesting making tuna fish spread out of Ahi...

But steaks sound good.

Down in the French Caribbean on the the Island of St. Martin there's a place called Marios Bistro -- the grilled tuna with melted blue cheese and the gnoshi in tomato sauce. Single best meal I ever had in my life!

http://www.mariosbistro.com/index.html
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:49 pm
  • It goes against my nature to cook ahi tuna. But what Rob described sounds great.

As far as Tuner Fish (such is what I call the canned stuff), I like it on olive oil. I mix in minced onions, a little minced garlic, mayo, finely shredded apples, pecans and cashews, some shredded parmesan, put it on a toasted bagel with arugula, and top it with the other side of the toasted bagel. I f I have red grapes I will quarter them and throw them into the mix as well.

For some reason, tuna fish sandwiches give me out of this world god awful farts. I think the above recipe is some kind of methane secret recipe.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:16 am
  • Another thing I do with the Ahi steaks is chop up mixed nuts prior and also have some coconut flakes, and throw them in when you flip it after the first 1 1/2 minutes. Also put a nice square of butter in with the oil. Swirl the steaks around during the entire cooking and use the liquid left over to drizzle over the Ahi, it is a delicacy. You can also flake it apart and use the pieces in a salad.

It is pink in the middle when done.

Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:36 am

Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:05 am
  • If we are talking tuna steaks...

rolled in olive oil and garlic with sweet onion.

Seared for 45 seconds to a minute on either side. has to be pink (actually raw) in the middle

Asparagus on top. mashed garlic potatoes and an arugula salad on the side.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon May 04, 2015 10:09 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information