Whats on my smoker tonight...

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Whats on my smoker tonight...
Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:30 pm
  • My wife gave me a Green Mountain Smoker ( pellet grill) a couple of months ago and I have been hooked on it ever since. Last weekend we made the best brisket to date. We had been pulling them after hitting 160ish internal temps and wrapping in foil then putting back on the smoker until 205ish. The exterior never got crusty and the rub seemed to fall off. The fat cap never rendered down either. We let this one ( Costco USDA Choice) ride it out with spritzing every couple of hours. The spritz consisted of apple cider vinegar, apple juice, brown sugar and cayenne. It was frigging awesome.

The last one was fantastic but cost 6.50 a pound. My wife and I went by cash n carry this afternoon and purchased a nice looking 12 pound USDA Select grade brisket. Select is lower than Choice grade but it was only 3.50 a pound. Brought it home and cut off about 1.5 pounds of fat. We always rub the brisket down with olive oil, put a rub on it and rap with cellophane and it sit over night in the fridge. Tonight we changed that up, put olive oil and rub on it and put it directly on the smoker. I don't plan to rap it in foil, just let it cook low and slow (225) on mesquite pellets. We will pull it at about 205F internal temp and rap it in foil and let rest for a couple of hours tomorrow.

I'm really curious if we will be able to taste the difference between Choice and Select.

My wife and I also picked up a 12 pound pork loin. Haven't smoked one of them yet but pork was made for smoking so this should be a no brainer!. Trimmed some of the fat, cut it in half ( was almost 3' long) and rubbed it down with olive oil, spicy store bought rub and brown sugar. Also put some crushed cayenne pepper on them. The pieces were rapped in plastic and put in my beer fridge in the garage. These should only take 1 - 2 hours to smoke tomorrow morning.
    irocdave
    NET Starter

Re: Whats on my smoker tonight...
Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:14 pm
  • Be right there!
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:59 am
  • The snobs will say never buy anything less than choice.

160 is a little low to wrap IMO. That is right on top of the "dead zone" where it takes hrs. to get out of the 150 range. Every smoker/cook is different so if you are having good luck with it, go with it. If I am gonna wrap I don't do it till about 180. At 200 I go by feel, depending on how the temp gauge slides in and out.

good luck with your cook, let us know how it goes!
    NoChops
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:54 am
  • My 2 cent's, and while not an expert on smoking, I bet a good pork shoulder would smoke better than a loin. Shoulder has enough internal marbling to keep it moist, and the loin, leaving off external fat, is a very lean cut.
    seedhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:23 am
  • Smoking beef briskest is one of the first thing a young man learns to cook, in Texas. I've gotten fairly good at it myself.
    Obviously everybody is different but the one thing I noticed you are doing that almost nobody down this was does, is trimming fat prior to cooking. Seams most smoke them with the fat side up and let the juices flow down over the meat. That fat layer is easily scraped away prior to slicing. Over all you will end up with moister meat. This may or may not help with a pellet type smoker.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:40 pm
  • seedhawk wrote:My 2 cent's, and while not an expert on smoking, I bet a good pork shoulder would smoke better than a loin. Shoulder has enough internal marbling to keep it moist, and the loin, leaving off external fat, is a very lean cut.

Smoked pork loins can still be good. I smoked a bacon wrapped pork loin earlier this year and it was moist and delicious.
    mbtitleist
    NET Rookie

Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:00 pm
  • mbtitleist wrote:
    seedhawk wrote:My 2 cent's, and while not an expert on smoking, I bet a good pork shoulder would smoke better than a loin. Shoulder has enough internal marbling to keep it moist, and the loin, leaving off external fat, is a very lean cut.

Smoked pork loins can still be good. I smoked a bacon wrapped pork loin earlier this year and it was moist and delicious.

I would say the primary term to remember is "bacon Wrapped". You added not only fat, but flavor. My point was, by itself, if trimmed of external fat, a pork loin is not a good choice to smoke.
    seedhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:18 pm
  • So much truth in this thread it's crazy. Remember I'm a noob at this, but everything you guys have said has validity in my limited experience. The Select brisket from Cash-n-Carry had no marbling, the point (cryorapped) was HUGE, almost half the brisket and couldn't see in the packaging. Wound up not cutting the point off early as one of my buddies said, he puts them back on the smoker for a couple more hours and makes burnt ends out of them or just pulls them and adds BBQ sauce. I didn't use the " crutch", just let it go straight through at 225. It turned out decent but the point through me for a loop. I wrapped the brisket after hitting 205 with foil and a beach towel and let it rest for 2.5 hours. The ends were really dry at first when slicing ( electric knife) and the middle seemed really moist. If it felt dry I sliced it thinner, towards the center ( below the point) I sliced it thicker. I put a ton of seasoning on this one, a lot of it's stuck to the SS grates, the rest turned in to kernels on the brisket. They do add flavor but I sense it's not the right way even though it still tastes pretty dam good. Have to say that "choice" cuts are better than "select".

The pork loin turned out decent, albeit searing it on the gas BBQ seemed to make it tougher than it should have. My wife makes tenderloin roasts all the time in the oven and they turn out super tender. Mine didn't on the ends but then again I didn't rap them in foil. The rub and apple juice sprits / juice added during the "resting" period gave it a realy awesome flavor, at least on the outer 1/4". Just cant see anything wrong with weaving bacon around a pork roast being smoked, just didn't have the time or bacon on hand.

Keep the tips coming, I want to get good at this. No more turkey breast jerky for me. All tips or appreciated!
    irocdave
    NET Starter

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:01 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information