Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » THE NET NATION LOUNGE » [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Post subject: Re: Is Seattle the BEST city in America/the World?
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:04 am 
*NET FCC Liaison*

49elite wrote:
I thought Seattle was the suicide capital of the US? Not sure if that was a fact or some show I was watching.. Something about depression...correct me if I'm wrong tho.

It's not even in the top 10 in the U.S. Look it up. It's just one of those things people repeat, assuming it's true because it rains 24/7/365 here.

*He can change a win into a loss.
*He can change a loss into a win by getting injured.
*RedAlice is right.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:23 pm 
NET Veteran

It was true in the 90s...
Step yo stat game up Niner

Post Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:43 pm 
NET Veteran

ShyCheetah wrote:
I've grown up in Vancouver and summered in Seattle my whole life (My moms side of the familly lives in Seattle). I lived in Seattle for two years and Waikiki/Honalulu for a year. I'd rank them Van, Hawaii, then Seattle. I lived in North Bergen New Jersey for a year and even that I'd grade above Seattle but only because Manhattan was a 5 min car ride away.

Shy.

Seattle is better than Van, sorry

Post Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:11 pm 
NET Veteran

I would say that Seattle is definitely a top 5 city in the North America and a top 15-20 city in the world.

quite frankly, the only thing Seattle is lacking in order to be a #1 overall is a world class mass transit system and a milder climate.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:36 pm 
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

RolandDeschain wrote:
49elite wrote:
I thought Seattle was the suicide capital of the US? Not sure if that was a fact or some show I was watching.. Something about depression...correct me if I'm wrong tho.

It's not even in the top 10 in the U.S. Look it up. It's just one of those things people repeat, assuming it's true because it rains 24/7/365 here.

I worked for a boss that did the same. He would just repeat stuff and soon enou gh people/lemmings were repeating it.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:01 pm 
NET Veteran

Bipolar wrote:
I would say that Seattle is definitely a top 5 city in the North America and a top 15-20 city in the world.

quite frankly, the only thing Seattle is lacking in order to be a #1 overall is a world class mass transit system and a milder climate.

Also better culture

Post Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:39 pm 
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Sarlacc83 wrote:
12evanf wrote:
RolandDeschain wrote:
[quote="12evanf"]I don't think I could get tired of looking at the sites in Rome. There's only so many times I can visit the Fremont Troll. Seattle's a great American city, friendly people, nice attractions, great mountain views on the waterfront, but when compared to international city's I think its outmatched.

This isn't exactly a fair comparison. The world didn't know the Americas existed when Rome was already a couple thousand years old. Seattle is 158 years old. That's like expecting a toddler to be as grown-up and cultured as a 40-year-old person.

Exactly. The thread title says "the World." Its not a fair comparison. Seattle is top 5 cities in the US and I don't think I could name 4 cities ahead of it easily. I haven't been to San Diego, but I've only heard good things.

San Diego is great for weather, but it's also drab scenery and really spread out ( I put something like 200 miles on my car in 2 days). Great beer, though.[/quote]

No beer compares to the PNW. Stone brewing is really good but no way it compares to the local fare.

San Diego and Seattle are by far my two most favorite cities at least in the US. Its a toss up between the two based on category but its damn close.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:52 pm 
NET Ring Of Honor

Stone is but one brewery in a very rich area of brewing. I LOVE N. San Diego county. Escondido, a great place to live, way outside of the city but totally accessable by may roads. Lots of mountainous drives, great vistas. One of my fav. places on the planet to live.

I lived in Washington for 32 years, love it, but I am loving the sun, surf, and mountains in SoCal a LOT more these days.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:58 pm 
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Largent80 wrote:
Stone is but one brewery in a very rich area of brewing. I LOVE N. San Diego county. Escondido, a great place to live, way outside of the city but totally accessable by may roads. Lots of mountainous drives, great vistas. One of my fav. places on the planet to live.

I lived in Washington for 32 years, love it, but I am loving the sun, surf, and mountains in SoCal a LOT more these days.

My wife has a friend in Carlsbad ( I lived there for a year too) who's husband home brews next to the industrial park where stone and a couple others have local micro breweries and they/he make excellent beer. He does a coffee stout that goes down awesome. Its just not PNW awesome. Manny's, Mac and Jacks and then Fremont among many others. Its awesome. Fremont Abominal Ale will make you wet your shorts. That combined with not paying close to 14% state income tax makes the weather easier to handle. Although I'm pretty close to my limit here without sun.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:40 pm 
NET Veteran

I haven't been outside the US enough to accurately gauge the greatness of Seattle, and I haven't been to San Diego either, but that month of sunshine in August makes miserable days like today almost worth it.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:28 am 
NET Veteran

Largent80 wrote:

I've been in SD for five years and I just love it near the beach!
So many different areas all 10 min driving from each other HA

Post Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:30 am 
NET Ring Of Honor

I ride my motorcycle here every month of the year, whereas in Wash. you are lucky to get 2 or 3 months.

I live in Culver City at the moment, but my wife and I plan on moving back to N.San Diego county and building our place in the next couple of years, and opening our brewpub / restaurant (Hawks themed of course) and it will become the official S.D. Seahawks Fans Hangout.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:55 am 
* 17Power Blogger *

49elite wrote:

Actually, I think Butte, MT might be higher on that particular list than Seattle. And if Great Falls doesn't join it there soon, I'll be surprised.

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power

Post Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:30 pm 
NET Veteran

If we get both a Basketball and Hockey team, I won't complain.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:07 pm 
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Largent80 wrote:
I ride my motorcycle here every month of the year, whereas in Wash. you are lucky to get 2 or 3 months.

I live in Culver City at the moment, but my wife and I plan on moving back to N.San Diego county and building our place in the next couple of years, and opening our brewpub / restaurant (Hawks themed of course) and it will become the official S.D. Seahawks Fans Hangout.

You must have married the queens daughter. N sd. County isnt cheap. Let me know.

Board index » THE NET NATION LOUNGE » [ THE NET LOUNGE ]