The Magnificent Seven

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
The Magnificent Seven
Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:33 pm
  • Anybody see it yet? I'm going tonight. Love me some Denzel.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Re: The Magnificernt Seven
Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:42 pm
  • You're not gonna watch the Huskies?
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:22 pm
  • fenderbender123 wrote:You're not gonna watch the Huskies?

Should be back for the 2nd half.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:37 pm
  • Really entertaining flick.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:23 am
  • Saw Magnificent Seven last night................while I enjoyed it because of the great cast and action, I thought Fuqua and the writers could have done a better job with the script.

Very straight forward western, almost to the point of parody. Here are the poor townfolk being bullied and killed by pure evil caricature bad guy. In rides the man in black and his band of misfits who has a bone to pick with said bad guy.

I love westerns, ask my wife and she'd tell you maybe a little too much. But what makes a great western is the lines are blurred between the good and bad guys (Unforgiven, Good Bad and Ugly, etc). It's not just about revenge, it's about redemption and making a life of wrongs right.

IMO this version of the Magnificent Seven is good, but by far the least interesting of The Seven Samurai and original Magnificent Seven.

PS. what the hell with waiting for the closing credits to unleash the amazing original score? This has one of the most iconic kick ass western scores of all time, and we get Titanic James Horner and his boring musical score? Dumb!
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:53 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:PS. what the hell with waiting for the closing credits to unleash the amazing original score? This has one of the most iconic kick ass western scores of all time, and we get Titanic James Horner and his boring musical score? Dumb!

I haven't seen it yet, but this statement confuses me a bit. Titanic is widely considered one of the best film scores ever made, and I'm not talking about Celine's song in it. Just curious if you could elaborate further?
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:00 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:PS. what the hell with waiting for the closing credits to unleash the amazing original score? This has one of the most iconic kick ass western scores of all time, and we get Titanic James Horner and his boring musical score? Dumb!

I haven't seen it yet, but this statement confuses me a bit. Titanic is widely considered one of the best film scores ever made, and I'm not talking about Celine's song in it. Just curious if you could elaborate further?

Horner's a great composer, but why not work within the confines of Bernstein's iconic amazing score?

To lovers of westerns, it's as bad as one of the new Star Wars movies not using John William's music. Punch it up, lots of movie for Horner to do his own thing........but holy moly give us Bernstein's score on more than just the sloppy seconds closing credits when everyone's walking out of the theater.

Made no sense to me.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:49 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Saw Magnificent Seven last night................while I enjoyed it because of the great cast and action, I thought Fuqua and the writers could have done a better job with the script.

Very straight forward western, almost to the point of parody. Here are the poor townfolk being bullied and killed by pure evil caricature bad guy. In rides the man in black and his band of misfits who has a bone to pick with said bad guy.

I love westerns, ask my wife and she'd tell you maybe a little too much. But what makes a great western is the lines are blurred between the good and bad guys (Unforgiven, Good Bad and Ugly, etc). It's not just about revenge, it's about redemption and making a life of wrongs right.

IMO this version of the Magnificent Seven is good, but by far the least interesting of The Seven Samurai and original Magnificent Seven.

PS. what the hell with waiting for the closing credits to unleash the amazing original score? This has one of the most iconic kick ass western scores of all time, and we get Titanic James Horner and his boring musical score? Dumb!

The more you post about film and tv, the more convinced I become that we could be best friends, or best enemies, like Blonde and Tuco.

I went to see Morricone and his Orchestra at the Royal Albert Hall a few years ago during his Classical Film Soundtracks tour. Two of the best hours of my life. Honestly man, if the Hawks don't make it to the Super Bowl this year, then take a trip to Vienna instead, he's worth it. Perhaps you already know?
    "I knocked you on your ass tho, that's all I'm sayin'. And imma do it again! Imma continue to do it. Imma do it again, Imma do it again and again!" Kam Chancellor.
    SomersetHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:26 pm
  • SomersetHawk wrote:
    I went to see Morricone and his Orchestra at the Royal Albert Hall a few years ago during his Classical Film Soundtracks tour. Two of the best hours of my life. Honestly man, if the Hawks don't make it to the Super Bowl this year, then take a trip to Vienna instead, he's worth it. Perhaps you already know?

I'm Italian, Morricone is as well revered and beloved as Da Vinci to some Italians, myself included. That's amazing, and something I'd thoroughly enjoy............as my worn our Dollars trilogy on Blu Ray can attest to.

But my favorite Morricone scores are The Untouchables and The Mission, if you remember that movie with DeNiro and Jeremy Irons.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:07 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    SomersetHawk wrote:

I'm Italian, Morricone is as well revered and beloved as Da Vinci to some Italians, myself included. That's amazing, and something I'd thoroughly enjoy............as my worn our Dollars trilogy on Blu Ray can attest to.

But my favorite Morricone scores are The Untouchables and The Mission, if you remember that movie with DeNiro and Jeremy Irons.

The Mission's a brilliant film with an amazing score, he performed a couple of the pieces when I saw him. The Untouchables is underrated too.

Obviously Morricone fandom goes hand in hand with Leone, of which my favourite is probably Once Upon A Time AMERICA, what I'd give to watch that six hour cut.
    Last edited by SomersetHawk on Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    "I knocked you on your ass tho, that's all I'm sayin'. And imma do it again! Imma continue to do it. Imma do it again, Imma do it again and again!" Kam Chancellor.
    SomersetHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:22 pm
  • Not t going to pay to watch it.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:21 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information