I Got Crabs

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
I Got Crabs
Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:25 pm
  • Went crabbing up north and my brother and I limited out. 5 crabs each. He gave me his as he is sick of crab. So I eneded up with a fist full of crabs.
    Attachments
    fistfull.jpg
    fistfull.jpg (229.57 KiB) Viewed 350 times
    small crab.jpg
    small crab.jpg (235.97 KiB) Viewed 350 times
    Russell has some stats that aren't Superb? Ow! Love his balls anyways!

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

Re: I Got Crabs
Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:32 pm
  • What time do you want me over for dinner?

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:02 pm
  • Image :smilingalien: :snack:
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays. 
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:41 pm
  • RIP Captain Phil! Looks like a young buck there.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:35 pm
  • I like crab :{)

Don't think I've ever had any fresh out of the water.

Couple times a year, I treat myself to something like this.

Obviously this was "king crab" but I'd wager that those would give this king a run for its money on the flavor race.

Well done.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:10 pm
  • @Lon- treat yourself to some fresh crab someday. It's easy to catch and is delicious. When I was a kid we used to go crabbing for 2 weeks on the Oregon coast, Bandon to be exact. We'd eat crab 2 meals a day and it was glorious.
    Annual Adopt a Rookie: Vannett
    OkieHawk
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:01 pm
  • I never want to clean another Dungeness crab, ever. Definitely tastier than King, though.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:02 pm
  • IMHO: Nothing tastes as sweet as fresh crabs; and dungeness are my favorite. To often when they freeze shellfish they put a preservative in it, like Iodine or salt. Lobster especially.

When I first moved to WA in the early '90s I lived on the Olympic Peninsula and tended bar at a tavern called Dickie Bird's. (Betcha Bill A remembers it.) It was located on Hwy 1 at the foot of the bay. Talk about fresh crab!

And when I lived in Mendocino, CA and worked the old Caspar Inn; it wasn't unusual for a crabber to come in and trade a fresh crab for a six-pack of Rainier or OLY Green. Good times!!

Of course if you boil them at home make sure you have a lid for pot...it's kinda yukkkie when you gotta watch'm try and climb out of the pot!....and the screaming!
    Ya only live but once, and when you're dead the living's done.....So let the good times roll!
    R. Charles.

Proud member of the .Net Old Farts Society.
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *

Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:08 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I never want to clean another Dungeness crab, ever. Definitely tastier than King, though.

Yes they are.
    OkieHawk
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:46 pm
  • I heart crab. Favorite food of all time. Period.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:10 pm
  • OkieHawk wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:I never want to clean another Dungeness crab, ever. Definitely tastier than King, though.

Yes they are.

+2

Proud member of the 38 Club

Proud member of the .Net Old Farts Society
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:11 pm
  • Aros wrote:I heart crab. Favorite food of all time. Period.

:ditto:

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:04 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I never want to clean another Dungeness crab, ever. Definitely tastier than King, though.

It's not very hard to clean them so I'm guessing you are just sick of the process from over exposure?

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:26 pm
  • I am in Nags Head, NC this week. Tomorrow we will munch on a bushel of Blue Crab :)
    andyh64000
    NET Rookie

Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:13 pm
  • StoneCold wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:I never want to clean another Dungeness crab, ever. Definitely tastier than King, though.

It's not very hard to clean them so I'm guessing you are just sick of the process from over exposure?

Think of whom you are quoting...do you really believe a stickler like RoRo could do anything the easy way? :mrgreen:
    Ya only live but once, and when you're dead the living's done.....So let the good times roll!
    R. Charles.

Proud member of the .Net Old Farts Society.
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *

Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:29 pm
  • Here I was thinking two things based on the OP's horrible thread title.

1. It's all about fantasy football and he drafted Crabtree
    2. Do I need to explain?!?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    MizzouHawkGal
    .NET Protector of the Hotties

Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:03 pm
  • StoneCold wrote:

Your guess is correct. I worked in the seafood department at Safeway a long time ago, and all you had to do is ask and you could have them completely cleaned, and the meat extracted for free as long as you bought them there. (I don't know if they still do that for free without limits, but they did at the Safeway I worked at back then, at least.) People would wait until they went on sale, and Safeway generally didn't have a limit, so people would call in an order of like 50 of the damn things and ask for the meat only.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:06 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    StoneCold wrote:

Your guess is correct. I worked in the seafood department at Safeway a long time ago, and all you had to do is ask and you could have them completely cleaned, and the meat extracted for free as long as you bought them there. (I don't know if they still do that for free without limits, but they did at the Safeway I worked at back then, at least.) People would wait until they went on sale, and Safeway generally didn't have a limit, so people would call in an order of like 50 of the damn things and ask for the meat only.

Ah, meat only. That's a different level of cleaning. Extracting the meat en masse is a tedious process. I've only done that a few times and only for a few crabs. Mostly I cook and serve in the shell.

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:07 am
  • StoneCold wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:
    StoneCold wrote:

Ah, meat only. That's a different level of cleaning. Extracting the meat en masse is a tedious process. I've only done that a few times and only for a few crabs. Mostly I cook and serve in the shell.

That is what we did on the beach in the Philippines. Got the crab, cooked it and then proceeded to work them tiny bits and pieces out of it. Got about 2 of them and spent 3 hours devouring what we could off them. It was a pain with them small things.
    Cats will rule the world...just ask my cat.
    RLKats..."Scott M. Made the niners good helped build the Hawks a bit (current GM is a bad ass). Quote me." So I did.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:44 am
  • You guys are killing me.

Does anybody know a reputable way to have some fresh dungys and kings packed on dry ice and sent to me here?

I'm Jonesing for some crab.
    "...Seattle has become the capital city of the New NFL" - Kip Earlywine
    :les: Remembering "The Radish"...
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Lead Admin *

Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:59 am
  • HoustonHawk82 wrote:You guys are killing me.

Does anybody know a reputable way to have some fresh dungys and kings packed on dry ice and sent to me here?

Just make a road trip.
    OkieHawk
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:01 am
  • HoustonHawk82 wrote:You guys are killing me.

Reputable, but expensive as all hell

This place is here in Alaska and sells a lot of seafood locally, and does ship as well. Never used their shipping but the company is reputable.

http://www.great-alaska-seafood.com/kingcrab.htm

This one is out of Seattle I just found it on google. I assume it's legit, but can't vouch for the site personally

https://www.pikeplacefish.com/buy/shipping/

At the prices though, I'd recommend getting off the boards and back to work :lol:

I also imagine anyone who is near the coast could just get some and buy the dry ice and a shipping container and overnight it to you as well. Of course you'd need volunteers for that.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:32 am
  • OkieHawk wrote:
    HoustonHawk82 wrote:You guys are killing me.

Just make a road trip.

This. C'mon Scott, the Emerald City is calling.........

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:39 am
  • Thanks bro! I do need to get back up there, it's been awhile.

Yeah, there is a fresh fish market near us that will do special orders but I imagine they use a company that cooks and packs similar to the ones you linked or a jobber-only company. Either way the middle man gets a cut so an online option may be the way to go.

Years ago I found myself in AK for work. Right before I left to fly out I stopped by a local seafood place in Anchorage and bought about 10 lbs. of crab and another 10 lbs. of king salmon and ling cod. They packed it in Styrofoam with dry ice and I had it express-mailed to me here. It arrived a day after I did. Made the trip perfectly without being completely hard-frozen or spoiling. I can't remember why I didn't just take it with me on the plane, it's been too long ago.

I'd like to do something like that now but the price is probably triple over buying it there and having it shipped, and I may have to settle for frozen over fresh. Those legs Lon had in his pic are hard to come by here.
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Lead Admin *

Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:50 am
  • HoustonHawk82 wrote:Thanks bro! I do need to get back up there, it's been awhile.

Yeah, there is a fresh fish market near us that will do special orders but I imagine they use a company that cooks and packs similar to the ones you linked or a jobber-only company. Either way the middle man gets a cut so an online option may be the way to go.

Years ago I found myself in AK for work. Right before I left to fly out I stopped by a local seafood place in Anchorage and bought about 10 lbs. of crab and another 10 lbs. of king salmon and ling cod. They packed it in Styrofoam with dry ice and I had it express-mailed to me here. It arrived a day after I did. Made the trip perfectly without being completely hard-frozen or spoiling. I can't remember why I didn't just take it with me on the plane, it's been too long ago.

I'd like to do something like that now but the price is probably triple over buying it there and having it shipped, and I may have to settle for frozen over fresh. Those legs Lon had in his pic are hard to come by here.

Even locally, anything fresh and not previously frozen is looking at a 50% - 150% markup in the pricing. Fresh frozen from places that actually pack it is probably the next best thing, which is what you get from the Link I sent to the soldotna place.

I still think the best option is bribing someone who actually gets fresh crab themselves into getting the dry ice and packing it and sending it to you overnight, but that would probably take a lot of sucking up

I do miss getting out and fishing for myself. Luckily, living here, I end up getting fresh halibut and salmon quite regularly from friends and family, so I count myself lucky in that department.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:19 am
  • kidhawk wrote:
    HoustonHawk82 wrote:Thanks bro! I do need to get back up there, it's been awhile.

Even locally, anything fresh and not previously frozen is looking at a 50% - 150% markup in the pricing. Fresh frozen from places that actually pack it is probably the next best thing, which is what you get from the Link I sent to the soldotna place.

I still think the best option is bribing someone who actually gets fresh crab themselves into getting the dry ice and packing it and sending it to you overnight, but that would probably take a lot of sucking up

I do miss getting out and fishing for myself. Luckily, living here, I end up getting fresh halibut and salmon quite regularly from friends and family, so I count myself lucky in that department.

As you can see from the pic I vacuum sealed most of it and it is in the freezer. Too much to eat all at once. Still better than what I could get from QFC.

On a side note I spent $200 this year to buy 2 crab pots and 2 licenses. This years crab were around 2 pounds each, pre cleaning weight, and at a cost of $20 a piece, comparable to store prices. Pots were $150 so next year the per crab price will drop dramatically...If I get off my butt and go crabbing. :)

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:22 am
  • StoneCold wrote:As you can see from the pic I vacuum sealed most of it and it is in the freezer. Too much to eat all at once. Still better than what I could get from QFC.

On a side note I spent $200 this year to buy 2 crab pots and 2 licenses. This years crab were around 2 pounds each, pre cleaning weight, and at a cost of $20 a piece, comparable to store prices. Pots were $150 so next year the per crab price will drop dramatically...If I get off my butt and go crabbing. :)

You have the equipment, and no PWR to slow you down, so go get them crabs

P.S. HH trades favors for crabs....I can't say more, this isn't the shack :twisted:

kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:53 am
  • Well, I have been staring at this Marcus Trufant signed actual game helmet for the last 13 years. I might be into a trade, should some really cool Alaskan have an afternoon off to send me a nice "care package". Might have to toss a King Salmon in the box too though, this helmet is the bomb. PSA/DNA certified and all.

Lon will probably shoot me for giving up such a quality hunk of SWAG for a couple of decadent meals, but I'm almost desperate.

Almost... :mrgreen:
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Lead Admin *

Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:45 pm
  • So while we're on the subject of seafood, is there anyone else here that likes to go razor clamming? I like crab better, but not by much.

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:37 pm
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:So while we're on the subject of seafood, is there anyone else here that likes to go razor clamming? I like crab better, but not by much.

That's fun as well. It's funny because after crabbing as a kid we'd do this so that my great grandma had enough clams for chowder to last the winter. I miss those times.
    OkieHawk
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:41 pm
  • I've always had fun digging for clams, but I'm not a big fan of eating them. People would take me with them because they know I'd be giving mine up to them so I was basically like an extra limit for them to get. I haven't been for years though.

kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:09 pm
  • Claming is something we did while boat-camping around the San Juan's when I was a little kid. We really didn't get into it as adults but I do remember having to watch for the spit and then dig like a madman as they book along through the wet sand pretty fast.

I also remember the Smelt derby's we'd go to in LaConner. Wait for the swarm to come by and bounce spike-laden steel rods up and down to snag them. We'd go shrimping with weighted strawberry flats too.

Good times.
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Lead Admin *

Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:14 pm
  • Since we are off topic for a second, we used to go clamming in Coos Bay Oregon when we would go there visiting ma's parents and family. One time the family went out in the morning at 4 am or so and I decided not to go...stayed with gramma for a few hours. Hated clam chowder but ate it anyway. hated clams too...but now a days...things are different.

Back on topic, last year, me and a niner fan were considering going to astoria to go crabbing. The friend of his had a family issue and could not make it happen. He has all the crab pots and a little boat to take us out in too. Not sure what the plan is next year. I think we are planning on going to Hells canjon for steelhead this year. Dunno tho...that may change too. Thanksgiving timeframe.
    Cats will rule the world...just ask my cat.
    RLKats..."Scott M. Made the niners good helped build the Hawks a bit (current GM is a bad ass). Quote me." So I did.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:12 pm
  • OkieHawk wrote:@Lon- treat yourself to some fresh crab someday. It's easy to catch and is delicious. When I was a kid we used to go crabbing for 2 weeks on the Oregon coast, Bandon to be exact. We'd eat crab 2 meals a day and it was glorious.

Dang that really does sound glorious.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:44 pm
  • StoneCold wrote:Ah, meat only. That's a different level of cleaning. Extracting the meat en masse is a tedious process. I've only done that a few times and only for a few crabs. Mostly I cook and serve in the shell.

Yeah, try doing meat only for six hours straight at least one day every week for a couple of months while they're in season, then let me know if you still don't mind it, haha. Torture.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

I Got Crabs
Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:17 am
  • Scott, the "king" legs that I posted above came from a Kroger signature store (one of the big nice ones).

As far as I know, just about any "King" crab that you buy from a market, is going to be pre cooked and flash frozen as these where. I've never seen fresh un cooked king crab available any place. Maybe off the boats in AK but IDK.

In terms of price, these were huge, top notch restaurant quality. I've seen the same stuff at markets in Seattle from $25 per lb up to almost $40 per lb.

Kroger's regular price on these has been $21.99, I wait till I can catch a sale and I got those for $19.99.

I've checked most of the shippers, some in AK, and some in Seattle. I've never seen a price on this size, any where close to $19.99, and as said above, they all seem to charge huge amounts for shipping.

I've even bought legs in Seattle and cooked them in our suite at the Moore. Very good but NOT better than what I get from Kroger's down here.

The only thing that I'm real careful about, I don't buy out of the display case, I ask for legs from the back that are still frozen and always have been.

Bottom line, go talk to the Seafood manager at your local Kroger or HEB, watch their prices, and buy it when it goes on sale. If you're willing to spend the money and want to have a true feast, they may even give you the sale price, if you buy a whole case.
    I have zero doubt that you won't be disappointed. As far as I can tell, it's the exact same thing as what they put on ice, at the markets in Seattle.

I can't speak about the Dungeness.

Edit: those legs were truly huge. Notice the size of one leg section next to the beer can.
    Almost twice as tall and close to as wide.
    The piece of meat that came from that section alone, mmmmmm.
    Imagine my belly after demolishing those and a 6 pack of good brew.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:41 am
  • I have done the Kroger thing before. The store near us is not a signature facility but the new HEB catty-corner from our shopartment is huge and just opened on the 24th. I need to check out that seafood selection.

:drool:
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Lead Admin *

Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:35 am
  • ^^^^
    Sounds like you may have been turned off by a bad experience, I feel ya.

I've been dealing with the same Kroger meat/seafood market for 3 years (since this store opened).

I've taken the time to get to know the managers a little bit.

I do know that the "flagship" or "signature" stores tend to have a better selection, and they have a better turnover rate ( fresher product).
    I do think, NOT buying from the display case is an issue.

The stuff that doesn't sell today, in some cases, get refrozen overnight to be put back out tomorrow, or it may "sit" thawed out for a couple days. I'm not going to buy that product regardless of how cheap they make it.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:15 am
  • pmedic920 wrote:^^^^
    Sounds like you may have been turned off by a bad experience, I feel ya.

I've been dealing with the same Kroger meat/seafood market for 3 years (since this store opened).

I've taken the time to get to know the managers a little bit.

I do know that the "flagship" or "signature" stores tend to have a better selection, and they have a better turnover rate ( fresher product).
    I do think, NOT buying from the display case is an issue.

The stuff that doesn't sell today, in some cases, get refrozen overnight to be put back out tomorrow, or it may "sit" thawed out for a couple days. I'm not going to buy that product regardless of how cheap they make it.

Agreed. Actually, the last time I got some King legs at the Kroger they weren't too bad. I'll definitely try the "got any in the back?" thing. Sounds like a good plan. :2thumbs:
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Lead Admin *

Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:53 am
  • Kroger can kindly screw off.

Scott: Just noticed your "location"...........sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:55 pm
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:Kroger can kindly screw off.

I'm not generally a Kroger fan either but where Scott and I live, they are one of the better stores that have real "meat/seafood markets".

There are very few quality "stand alone" markets in these parts.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:18 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:Kroger can kindly screw off.

I'm not generally a Kroger fan either but where Scott and I live, they are one of the better stores that have real "meat/seafood markets".

There are very few quality "stand alone" markets in these parts.

As I'm sure all know Kroger owns Fred Meyer and QFC and I think several others. What I find surprising is the quality difference between Fred and QFC. While the same parent company they must have different supply chains. I often shop at QFC and have noted over the last year the level of quality has gone down. Shrink wrapped pork chops, solution injected ribs and pork butt. I won't buy either. QFC's Simple Truth brand, both the organic and conventional are still pretty good and I do buy those, but as I've said in another thread I prefer to get meat and seafood from WF or PCC.

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:03 am
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:33 am
  • pmedic920 wrote:As far as I know, just about any "King" crab that you buy from a market, is going to be pre cooked and flash frozen as these where. I've never seen fresh un cooked king crab available any place. Maybe off the boats in AK but IDK.

I was told by one of the fish places in the Market that fresh King crab is available once a year when the boats come back from Alaska...I *think* it was March or April...not sure though.
    andyh64000
    NET Rookie

It is currently Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:59 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information