Traveling with golf clubs

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Traveling with golf clubs
Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:26 pm
  • Heading to San Diego for the game next week and I plan to do some golfing with friends. Never traveled with my clubs. What is the best way to get them down there?

Luggage, FedEx?

I don't have a travel bag so I need to calculate the cost of purchasing one into the equation if I don't go with FedEx but I'd like to go with the most "reliable" route.
    RockHawk wrote:This has turned into nothing but a personal attack, which goes against our forum rules...... I'll allow it.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Re: Traveling with golf clubs
Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:35 pm
  • Sorry man, no clue, but can't you check them?...I'm sure that the way these airlines are now, you will pay for it.

Chopin' fish on LSD
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:53 pm
  • Lots of services these days that will ship demo quality clubs to where you are playing/staying for like 30--50 bucks a day with multiple day discounts.

You will have an additional bag fee on the airlines (both ways) and they could end up in Boise or even lost/damaged.

Fed Ex/UPS..will cost you a hundred bucks at least, again with damage being an issue. They will be insured but your weekend will be fubar.

look up club hub, golf clubs away, golf rental world. SD must have some local outfits as well that will deliver clubs. Less expensive then renting at the course for sure.

If you can't hit the driver they give you, just barrow your buddy's
    NoChops
    NET Veteran

Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:12 pm
  • NoChops wrote:Lots of services these days that will ship demo quality clubs to where you are playing/staying for like 30--50 bucks a day with multiple day discounts.

You will have an additional bag fee on the airlines (both ways) and they could end up in Boise or even lost/damaged.

Fed Ex/UPS..will cost you a hundred bucks at least, again with damage being an issue. They will be insured but your weekend will be fubar.

look up club hub, golf clubs away, golf rental world. SD must have some local outfits as well that will deliver clubs. Less expensive then renting at the course for sure.

If you can't hit the driver they give you, just barrow your buddy's

Thanks for the post! Looks like a really good idea. Might miss my driver but the rest of my game is bad enough that clubs won't matter.
    RockHawk wrote:This has turned into nothing but a personal attack, which goes against our forum rules...... I'll allow it.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:26 am
  • If you love your clubs and picky like I am about using anything different -why not buy a hard golf case that protects them and can be with your luggage?It might count as exrea luggage if you have 2 suitcases but whats a fee if you are serious
    about having a good game along with fun...
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:07 pm
  • Buy them at a Costco down there and return them before you leave. You're welcome
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:18 pm
  • Find a travel case on Craig's list or borrow one from somebody. It cost me $25 each way last year when I went to Arizona, well worth it in my opinion.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:28 am
  • I always take my clubs when I travel and there is a chance of squeezing in a round. I had a big hard case at one point but got this one a couple years ago for Christmas: http://www.amazon.com/CaddyDaddy-Co-Pil ... B0078P5OZG

It is nice in that the top just comes off and it will basically function as a regular bag. I wouldn't want to carry it around the course but it fits great on a cart. It also has wheels to make it easy to roll through the airports. It isn't cheap but if you travel a lot and would enjoy your round with your own clubs something like this could be worth it.
    drcool
    NET Rookie

Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:12 am
  • I took my clubs to Guam with me during my second "vacation" and had a great time with them. I like my clubs too and bought a 3 wood in country. I also brought back stuff in the bag too. I have brought my bag with me thru I think it was Delta one time and they said golf clubs go free as sports equipment. That was YEARS AGO tho. Get a hard case and go with them.
    I have a soft case and prefer the hard case for my clubs.
    Cats will rule the world...just ask my cat.
    Gollum had a ring...Bilbo took it...Frodo had it...Gollum got it back.
    Gollum never had OUR ring.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:21 am
  • Neighbor has a soft case, just going to go that route. Hopefully all goes well between here and SD.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:13 pm
  • Hit em long and straight! Have a good time in SD!

When I take my clubs, I use a soft case or rent when I get to my destination. I shipped my better set to my father to hold for me so that I have my better set when we play, bad idea. Now the joker thinks they are his. Should have sent my ratty set.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:57 am
  • I found a hard case for sale here and texted to hold it for me til next week. I have a soft case.
    Cats will rule the world...just ask my cat.
    Gollum had a ring...Bilbo took it...Frodo had it...Gollum got it back.
    Gollum never had OUR ring.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:38 am
  • Soft cases have better reliability stats than hard cases, and you can usually fit more clothes and stuff inside. It helps to get one with some padding, especially on the top. I prefer the GTB cases personally. The Caddy Daddy as mentioned a few posts back has an awesome design, but unfortunately those ended up being boomerangs for the most part. We would sell one and it would come right back defective.
    "So between my friends and I we have been at every home game to date this year, and we have all been plotting the offensive plays called. " ------Anthony!
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:57 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information