Things to do on Oahu

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Things to do on Oahu
Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:57 am
  • Next month ill be going to Hawaii for 8 days staying on Oahu. I know the obvious activities: Pearl Harbor, climbing diamond head, things like that but I'm looking for more. I'm not the type to just sit on the beach and relax for hours so I'm looking for hikes, activities, etc.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Re: Things to do on Oahu
Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:15 am
  • If it was me, I'd embark on a pilgrimage to the boyhood house of the greatest QB to ever come out of Hawaii. The kid who tore it up at local Oahu highschools and eventually played QB, at a high level, for a great PNW school.

Say hi to Mr and Mrs Gesser for me!
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:33 am
  • pehawk wrote:If it was me, I'd embark on a pilgrimage to the boyhood house of the greatest QB to ever come out of Hawaii. The kid who tore it up at local Oahu highschools and eventually played QB, at a high level, for a great PNW school.

Say hi to Mr and Mrs Gesser for me!

Who are they, the Mariota's live in maids?

On a serious, but off topic note, if you want your son to be a quarterback you might want to have him attend St. Louis high school in Honolulu. Marcus mariota, Jason gesser, Jeremiah massoli, and timmy Chang (qb'd for Hawaii, 2nd all time in ncaa passing yards) all came out of that pipeline. There qb now, tua tagliavau will be a junior next season and a likely 5 star recruit and is all duck.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:48 am
  • Don't explain to me who Tommy Chang is. That's offensive. I have a jersey!

As much as you can find a local and ask their advice on spots to see. I stayed a few weeks in Hawaii, and found a few locals to take to some slick spots they don't advertise to tourists. I remember one spot where we hiked over a mile or so of lava rock, and came to a place they called the fish bowl. It was an inlet to the ocean, a 100 foot deep pool, with little or no waves. The visibility was amazing...
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:24 pm
  • Did you write 'Tommy Chang' instead of Timmy Chang on purpose for comedic effect there? Because it got a chuckle out of me.
    Football is not a matter of life and death. It's much more important than that. ~ Bill Shankley
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:06 pm
  • Of course. Big fan of Stacy Keech and Tommy Chang.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:12 pm
  • pehawk wrote:Of course. Big fan of Stacy Keech and Tommy Chang.

Stacy Keech was hot back in the day. I really liked it when she would accompany the Dudley boys to the ring. Didn't she have a fling with George Clowney?
    Football is not a matter of life and death. It's much more important than that. ~ Bill Shankley
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:25 pm
  • Hey, I just got back from Honolulu last week! We did Pearl Harbor, the Mighty Missouri tour, shopped, ate, etc...but probably the best thing we did was go to the Kualoa Ranch for a day. It's a 3,000 acre working cattle ranch but they have various activities - boat tours, ziplines, horses, ATVs, jungle tour in Pinzgauers, a petting zoo, and probably some other stuff. For $159 each we got to choose three of the activities (we did the boat, ATV and jungle tour) and they fed us lunch too. I thought was the best value on the island. The ranch has been used for a lot of movie sites and still had some structures there from the recent Jurassic World filming. Plus some ancient Hawaiian sacred sites and a WWII gun battery.

Edited to add link: http://www.kualoa.com/
    Last edited by SnoCoHawk on Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    SnoCoHawk
    NET Starter

Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:35 pm

Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:04 pm
  • Try surfing on Waikiki, easy beginner waves. Whiskey at Dukes later.

Kayak or kite surfing on Kailua and Lanikai beaches.

Make love
    "it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *

Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:31 pm
  • It has been a ton of years since I been there, but maybe an evening on a party boat? I signed up for one and got there late. Did not enjoy the trip. 8) I was there back in the 1980s tho. I did have fun for the 4 nights I was in the area. Spent one night at a friends place. Should have golfed there with my ole bosses wife and whoever she could get to show up this young pup. She is still a friend of mine.
    Cats will rule the world...just ask my cat.
    "Unfortunately, common sense is the least common of all the senses..." - Mark Twain
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:47 pm
  • Go snorkeling in Hanauma Bay. All other suggestions are spot on.
    Diezel Dawg
    NET Starter

Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:50 pm
  • Diezel Dawg wrote:Go snorkeling in Hanauma Bay. All other suggestions are spot on.

Have they banned feeding the fish? I had the greatest time feeding them frozen peas, but I heard
    at one point they were trying to ban it 'cause people were littering the bags everywhere. :34853_doh:
    BIGNORMANHAND
    NET Rookie

Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:05 am
  • Koko head, light house, and manoa trails. The first two are a there and back. Manoa can start over at the pali and end towards uh. You can hike that whole Honolulu ridge. Three peaks out on the windward side. Dont do that if it is raining. Good snorkeling out at three tables on the northshore.
    "If we lose ... this place will be a Carnival of Stupidity." FlyingGreg
    Fudwamper
    NET Veteran

Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:51 am
  • BIGNORMANHAND wrote:
    Diezel Dawg wrote:Go snorkeling in Hanauma Bay. All other suggestions are spot on.

Have they banned feeding the fish? I had the greatest time feeding them frozen peas, but I heard
    at one point they were trying to ban it 'cause people were littering the bags everywhere. :34853_doh:

We went in 2012, so I am not sure.
    Diezel Dawg
    NET Starter

Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:49 pm
  • Dole Pineapple Maze, Polynesian Culture Center, Waimea Falls Park, and Waikiki. I would make friends with a local if possible, so they can take you on some hikes. Aloha
    mikehawks
    NET Rookie

Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:28 pm
  • I've spent three and a half years of my life there, and I'd take about fifteen pages to tell you all the cool stuff to do there. Rather than that, I'll give you the very truncated version.

First, this time of year, the waves will be high and the water will be colder than normal, so snorkeling may not be as fun as you'd like. There are some great places to do it, but it won't be the same as in the summer. Right now the waves are coming in, so watching the big ones crash on North Shore, especially in places like Waimea Bay, is a fun option. I've seen some that look like the ending of Point Break there. Wild stuff!

Stop in Haleiwa. It's a neat little surfer's town on the bottom edge of North Shore. Be sure to enjoy a burger at Kua Aina Burger there. One of the best in the world, and full of ambiance. The town itself is fun to poke around in, plus there are some neat beaches and trails to explore.

Be sure to visit the Pearl Harbor memorials. Get out to the U.S.S. Arizona. It's a wonderfully sobering experience, and something you shouldn't visit Oahu without doing.

Hanauma Bay is another neat experience. You can often see whales breaching just on the edges of the bay, and even if you don't, it's a cool beach experience.

If you're driving, do go around the entire island. Follow H1 west until it peters out into local roads and finally a dirt road, way out by Waianae. Take the southern loop clear around and up through Waimanalo and past Kailua, and then around the windward side until you finally go back down via North Shore. It's a long drive, but a pretty cool one with lots of little places to stop and poke around in and tons of neat hidden beaches.

Waikiki is cool and all, and gawking at all the tourists is fun, but the real neat areas are the backwoods, off-beat places--the little towns that are hardly on the map. Cruise through those and catch a plate of food at some of the little food shacks by the side of the road. Explore the back country. There are all manner of wild fruits growing wild on the island. I know places where you can pick bananas, mangoes, papayas, coconuts, star fruit, passion fruit, guavas, and probably more that escape my mind, somewhere on the island. Most of those can be found on the many hikes across the main ridge of mountains separating leeward side from windward.

In any case, have fun. And if you want to know anything more specific, just ask.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:10 am
  • Good stuff. Thanks.

Anybody know if the Honolulu zoo is worth going to? Ill be with my parents, my 10 year old niece and 12 year old nephew, so they'd probably enjoy the zoo?
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:05 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:Good stuff. Thanks.

Anybody know if the Honolulu zoo is worth going to? Ill be with my parents, my 10 year old niece and 12 year old nephew, so they'd probably enjoy the zoo?

Yep, it's a decent zoo, fairly close to downtown Honolulu/Waikiki. Pretty easy to get in and out of too. Not too big, but not too small, so there's all the cool stuff without the "Is it already two in the afternoon and we're only halfway through?" questions.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:34 pm
  • Here's a Polynesian guy's take :-)

1. Hanauma Bay snorkeling. Lots of underwater fish to look at.
    2. Luau - either Polynesian Cultural Center, or Paradise Cove (what's Hawaii without a luau)
    3. Aloha Stadium Swap Meet for shopping (Do not buy souvenirs anywhere else. They're cheapest here.)
    4. Hike up to Diamond Head mountain.
    5. Pancakes with coconut syrup at Wailana Coffee House in Waikiki
    6. Dinner at Kai Market restaurant in Waikiki (or at The Oceanarium)

Water is a lot cooler this time of year. Also the weather. So take a light sweater. Also if you plan to do any sort of swimming get reef shoes (or aqua shoes)!!! Don't forget this one! And most of all lots of money. Hawaii is expensive.
    rastahawk
    * Just Chillin' *

Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:38 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:Good stuff. Thanks.

Very much worth it i had seasons pass for 4 years.
    The cultural center is fun to go through but the laua is horrible. Go for paradise cove in ko'olina.
    The good beaches thus time of year are the south side, stay away from sunset for beaching, waimanolo and bellows are great. Great sushi place in town is california sushi ans sansi's
    "If we lose ... this place will be a Carnival of Stupidity." FlyingGreg
    Fudwamper
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:27 pm
  • rastahawk wrote:Here's a Polynesian guy's take :-)

1. Hanauma Bay snorkeling. Lots of underwater fish to look at.
    2. Luau - either Polynesian Cultural Center, or Paradise Cove (what's Hawaii without a luau)
    3. Aloha Stadium Swap Meet for shopping (Do not buy souvenirs anywhere else. They're cheapest here.)
    4. Hike up to Diamond Head mountain.
    5. Pancakes with coconut syrup at Wailana Coffee House in Waikiki
    6. Dinner at Kai Market restaurant in Waikiki (or at The Oceanarium)

Water is a lot cooler this time of year. Also the weather. So take a light sweater. Also if you plan to do any sort of swimming get reef shoes (or aqua shoes)!!! Don't forget this one! And most of all lots of money. Hawaii is expensive.

This is an outstanding list. I'm partial to a lot of other hikes over Diamond Head, but Diamond Head's the popular one. Eh, to each his own.

Forgot about the stadium swap meet. Definitely one you should hit up for your souvenirs. And add to your list finding some roadside Huli Huli chicken, and going to Zippy's for a local-style breakfast. Also get some shave ice from a stand in Haliewa while you're there.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

It is currently Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:01 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information