The end of Top Gear

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
The end of Top Gear
Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:26 am
  • So, the BBC sacked the Jezzer today. Sucks, but he forced their hand on this one and it is the right move.

Gonna miss that show.

This show really developed the "clubhouse" effect making one think you were just hanging out with your buddies, talking cars and more importantly talking smack. I don't see how this can ever be re-created without Clarkson.

Anyone think there is a chance of a rebirth on a different network? Maybe in the States? I hope Hammond and May don't carry on with some other random, but we'll see once they start throwing money around.

Sadness.
    NoChops
    NET Veteran

The end of Top Gear
Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:47 am
  • I thought we had a USA version ?

History Cannel maybe?
    http://www.history.com/shows/top-gear
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Re: The end of Top Gear
Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:56 am
  • Ugh this is so disappointing.

Hopefully ITV or Netflix pick up those guys for a new show.
    I enjoy ruining threads by making them about personal attacks and then commenting about how personal attacks make the other person's argument invalid.

:les:
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:09 am

Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:12 am
  • One of the best series I've ever seen. The road trip episodes are gold. A shame a simple dust up caused it's demise but Clarkson had been in trouble countless times with the BBC prior.

Luckily, there are a lot of episodes to go back and enjoy. And I strongly recommend the road trip/travel episodes. South America is my personal favorite.
    And my cat Ashes could produce a better TG than the USA version. No comparison to the UK version. None.
    HOLLYWOOD
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:13 am
  • Most of you probably never watched Top Gear pre-the Clarkson/May/Hammond era, but it was pretty good even before these guys. the show will probably go on, but Clarkson is a big loss. He'll get his own show with another network, probably Sky.
    Last edited by peachesenregalia on Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
    JFT96
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:19 am
  • BTW, I never said it was good.
    The BBC was way better.

Actually I don't think it's bad IF you don't compare the two.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:12 am
  • I was hoping Carolla was going to be a co host of the US TG. Tanner is soild though. A lone bright spot.
    HOLLYWOOD
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:29 am
  • The difference between American Top Gear and the original is that the American version is about cars and trucks and the original was about entertainment, travel and experiences.

We're staying on Lake Como specifically thanks to a Top Gear episode where Hammond races Clarkson in a Alfa vs a Jet Ski and I fell in love with that area.

The reboot took a show that was extremely boring for the layman and made it an exciting, must-see show about things that only gearheads gave a shit about before.
    I enjoy ruining threads by making them about personal attacks and then commenting about how personal attacks make the other person's argument invalid.

SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:26 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:I thought we had a USA version ?

History Cannel maybe?

It's shite.

Yep!

I was so excited when the american top gear did an episode with my particular car as a partial feature, they did no racing or driving other then driving over speedbumps at 50 mph with a case of champagne. great stuff :roll: They have no chemistry, they are not funny and the show really reflects this.
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:36 am
  • It seems to me that the BBC would have made much more money paying the guy that he hit off and making Clarkson sign some kind of contract saying if he does it again he gets heavily fined something. As in punch someone and lose a years pay kind fine and fire him if he refused to sign it.

He is the show, all three guys are. It wasn't right to hit someone but I hope the other guys won't do the show without him.
    The LOLs of the many outweigh the shame of the few
    Msfann
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:35 am
  • SonicHawk wrote:The difference between American Top Gear and the original is that the American version is about cars and trucks and the original was about entertainment, travel and experiences.

We're staying on Lake Como specifically thanks to a Top Gear episode where Hammond races Clarkson in a Alfa vs a Jet Ski and I fell in love with that area.

The reboot took a show that was extremely boring for the layman and made it an exciting, must-see show about things that only gearheads gave a shit about before.

You're incorrect. Top Gear was pretty popular through the 80's and 90's. The new format certainly made it more popular and more accessible to people who weren't necessarily wanting to watch a car show, but it was by no means extremely boring for the layman.
    JFT96
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:04 pm
  • Top Gear had started to disappear up his own arse anyway. The trips and silly tests were so contrived it was ridiculous.

Richard Hammond is a prick and James May is a tosspot. Clarkson was the only one I liked but you can't punch someone because you are hungry.
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:51 pm
    SonicHawk wrote:The difference between American Top Gear and the original is that the American version is about cars and trucks and the original was about entertainment, travel and experiences.

You're incorrect. Top Gear was pretty popular through the 80's and 90's. The new format certainly made it more popular and more accessible to people who weren't necessarily wanting to watch a car show, but it was by no means extremely boring for the layman.

I take it back, when they hired Clarkson in the 1980s -- not just the reboot. But it was a less a car show than it was anything else entertainment.

SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:53 pm
  • UK_Seahawk wrote:Top Gear had started to disappear up his own arse anyway. The trips and silly tests were so contrived it was ridiculous.

Richard Hammond is a prick and James May is a tosspot. Clarkson was the only one I liked but you can't punch someone because you are hungry.

:roll:

Top Gear didn't become contrived, it was ALWAYS contrived.

The trips were the best part of the show. You can only watch a supercar go around hammerhead so many times before the majority of people tune out.

SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:55 pm
  • The US version sucks balls.

I love that show. I will be curious to see if the other two try to keep it going, I doubt they can. Yeah, it's stupid and contrived, but it was also irreverent and interesting.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:10 pm
  • UK_Seahawk wrote:Top Gear had started to disappear up his own arse anyway. The trips and silly tests were so contrived it was ridiculous.

I don't agree with your assessment of May and Hammond, but this part is spot on. That show jumped the shark years ago.

And episodes of the old format Top Gear are on Youtube (at least in the U.S.). A little dry, but interesting.
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:41 am
  • JFT96
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:11 am
  • I am in mourning.

I can now acquiesce to the Firefly folks pain.
    "...Seattle has become the capital city of the New NFL" - Kip Earlywine
    :les: Remembering "The Radish"...
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Mechanic *

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:56 am
  • HoustonHawk82 wrote:I am in mourning.

True story about Firefly: It sucks.
    JFT96
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:04 pm
    HoustonHawk82 wrote:I am in mourning.

True story about Firefly: It sucks.

Holy crap....Peaches and I agree on something....Wow....
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:34 pm
  • I didn't realise Top gear was so big in the states.

It seems ITV or Netflix will employ him and all 3 of the guys will stick together.
    MizzouHawkGal wrote:Last year is the last time we see the Patriots in the Superbowl for a long time.
    original poster
    NET Starter

Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:51 pm
  • I've never understood shows like Top Gear.

Why listen to some talking head rambling about cars when you can actually rent any of the cars they drive and drive it for yourself? Seems like a bunch of fluffery masquerading as "guy stuff." Why do I care how fast a race car driver can lap a track in a given car? I'll never be able to drive like that, and it's boring watching others do it.

They did do some interesting bits, like trying to destroy different cars and showing how much abuse they took. That was mildly entertaining. But overall, when I want to be entertained by a car, I go drive one.
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:48 pm
  • HansGruber wrote:I've never understood shows like Top Gear.

Why listen to some talking head rambling about cars when you can actually rent any of the cars they drive and drive it for yourself? Seems like a bunch of fluffery masquerading as "guy stuff." Why do I care how fast a race car driver can lap a track in a given car? I'll never be able to drive like that, and it's boring watching others do it.

They did do some interesting bits, like trying to destroy different cars and showing how much abuse they took. That was mildly entertaining. But overall, when I want to be entertained by a car, I go drive one.

Weird how not everybody likes the same stuff, huh? :roll:
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:54 pm

Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:00 am
  • HansGruber wrote:I've never understood shows like Top Gear.

I have no interest in renting a Ferrari because I can't go 180MPH in it. I want to watch someone do it. I can't race a double-decker bus either. I can't even destroy a camper.

It was less a car show and more of an entertainment program based around transportation. Sure they quickly glossed over specs that the gear heads would drool over, but it was hardly ever in detail.

I understand if you don't like Jeremy, James or Richard or you don't find the program itself entertaining, but your synopsis is just wrong. Give it another shot ;).

SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:38 pm
  • m0ng0 wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:I thought we had a USA version ?

History Cannel maybe?

It's shite.

Yep!

I was so excited when the american top gear did an episode with my particular car as a partial feature, they did no racing or driving other then driving over speedbumps at 50 mph with a case of champagne. great stuff :roll: They have no chemistry, they are not funny and the show really reflects this.

I consider this show the real American Top Gear: They have far better chemistry, and the things they do are far more interesting. Even if you're not a gearhead you'd probably enjoy these guys.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOYlloxcRZA[/youtube]
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:04 pm

Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:59 pm
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:Ironically, I only know the show for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQh56geU0X8

Hahaha I love that episode.

SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:31 am
  • Top Gear is more about the relationships with cars or (vehicles in general) than the cars themselves, typically presented with comedy or satire. It's not a 'car show' at all, like it used to be when it was the TV version of Consumer Reports. The Vietnam special in particular is excellent as they travel over 1000 miles on little motorbikes. Botswana and Bolivia are great as well.

And yes, the US version pales in comparison, but is easily the best parallel version when you look at other international versions. You've got a pro driver, a NASCAR analyst and an actor/comedian up against three guys who had extensive careers in writing, journalism and presentation before even appearing on Top Gear. And then they had over a decade to perfect their repertoire. So you can't really compare the two fairly at all. At least they dropped all the stupid studio stuff and just focus on challenges now.

I'm kind of pissed that the whole thing went down because Clarkson was a selfish moron acting like a petulant child over some food. Not just because the show ended, but because it cost a lot of people their dream jobs. Clarkson should have realized that before putting the whole thing in jeopardy over something so stupid; he had already been on thin ice for years over his political incorrectness.
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:54 pm
  • For those interested and are gamers; Forza Motorsport 5 has the TG track and 2 of the reasonably priced cars. It is by far the most used game by friends that visit. Everyone wants to beat everyone's time.

My best is 1:41.

The whole game is narrated by the three of them too. Good stuff and can be found on the cheap since the new Forza came out recently.
    HOLLYWOOD
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:37 pm
  • original poster wrote:I didn't realise Top gear was so big in the states.

It seems ITV or Netflix will employ him and all 3 of the guys will stick together.

I enjoyed the portion of the show with the tally they kept on which show-guest had the fastest lap around their track.

Other than that, the segments when they all took supercars down famous stretches of highway in various parts of Europe and Asia were cool.
    "...Seattle has become the capital city of the New NFL" - Kip Earlywine
    :les: Remembering "The Radish"...
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Mechanic *

Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:49 am
  • Yeah I get the whole gist of sacking him and understand the backlash from the fans but end of the day he was on his final warning.

Sometimes I feel Clarkson thinks he is above the law ...I feel for May and Hammond !
    Image GO HAWKS !
    dino26
    NET Veteran

It is currently Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:05 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information