What are the best value smartphones?

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
What are the best value smartphones?
Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:52 pm
  • My dad wants a smartphone so he can stream radio at work all day, but he is looking to spend $100-200, rather than $500-800. Does anybody have any input as to some of the better options that might be available (T-mobile). Phone snobs need not apply! TIA
    "So between my friends and I we have been at every home game to date this year, and we have all been plotting the offensive plays called. " ------Anthony!
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Re: What are the best value smartphones?
Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:29 pm
  • You could probably find a used Galaxy S3/4 or a Note 2/3 in the $200 range. An older/used high end phone is gonna most likely be better than a new low end phone IMO.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:12 pm
  • Tical21 wrote:My dad wants a smartphone so he can stream radio at work all day, but he is looking to spend $100-200, rather than $500-800. Does anybody have any input as to some of the better options that might be available (T-mobile). Phone snobs need not apply! TIA

Does he need it to be a smartphone or can he just have a secondary device that accesses the internet? Can he use his wifi from work or does he need it to use lte or 4g from a cell phone service.

The 6 inch kindle fire HD is around a hundred bucks and has no phone capabilities but sounds like it would be perfect for what he wants to use it for.
    bigtrain21
    * NET GIF Master *

Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:56 pm
  • I found a new smart phone for a buck, one dollar, at slickdeals dot net. Have to buy a plan with it though, which raises the price to fifty dollars.
    netskier
    NET Starter

Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:14 pm
  • Avoid newer cheap phones. If you need to buy on a restricted budget, you're better off getting an older model that was top-shelf at the time of release; i.e., a Galaxy S3 or a Galaxy Note II. They still have the top-shelf physical manufacturing quality and such that a brand-new cheap phone does not have, despite having a newer internal processor, and such.

Think of it like buying a 2015 Ford Focus (brand-new but low-end) compared to a 2010 Lexus. (Older, but higher quality.)
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:57 pm
  • Look at Swappa.com. Used phones with a bit better buyer protection then eBay/craigslist. Bought my note 2 there used for a decent price.
    sturg78
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:21 pm
  • I have a samsung galaxy s4. I stream music all the time. I went with sprints unlimited data plan so i didnt need to worry about using too much data. I got the phone for a dollar with a new contract at Target. Sprint has kind of a bad rep but i really love it. Never going back to verizon again.

It really does depend on if hes using wifi though. If hes not he will NEED to have an unlimited data plan. If he doesnt he will easily go over the alloted amount and will be charged big bucks for it. Streaming music requires much more data than browsing the internet.
    86Hawk
    NET Rookie

Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:24 pm
  • He tries to use his ipod with his WiFi at work, but their bandwidth is abused and he spends more time buffering than playing, so he wants to go with an unlimited data plan. I was thinking about the Galaxy S3. There's also the Samsung Galaxy Avant for $149 and there's an LG for $99 that look okay. The Nokia Lumia 635 is on sale for $99 as well. What specs should I be looking for? Battery life would also be a factor.
    "So between my friends and I we have been at every home game to date this year, and we have all been plotting the offensive plays called. " ------Anthony!
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:51 pm
  • If he has a desktop computer, he might be able to get by with only headphones, or Bluetooth headphones.
    netskier
    NET Starter

Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:55 pm
  • Motorola Moto G gets excellent reviews at around $200 with no contract. My wife has the older version, nice phone except the non-replaceable battery. I have an LG Optimus L90, also a pretty nice phone for under $200. Camera sucks but it has a replaceable battery.

.....................................................................................-Webzone Niner fan GhostOfJimmyDean
    Trenchbroom
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:58 am
  • Tical21 wrote: The Nokia Lumia 635 is on sale for $99 as well. Battery life would also be a factor.

I got this phone when my HTC crapped out. Had it for 3 months, battery life is good. It is a Windows based phone however.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:19 pm
  • Here you go:

http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phones/lg-optimus-l90.html

On sale for $50 right now. Perfect for what's needed. And it's T-Mobile, like he wants. That's good too, because T-Mobile allows you to stream music from the most popular apps without it costing you any data usage. Plus, it's wi-fi obviously anyway.
    nategreat
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:24 am
  • If memory serves, the LG Chocolate was an "audio cell". It has an adapter for a 3.5m jack but my kids wanted them because they had a great radio interface.

Should be able to find one dirt cheap. Only first-gen CDMA though, but you won't need a data package to run it which will help with the bill part.
    "...Seattle has become the capital city of the New NFL" - Kip Earlywine
    :les: Remembering "The Radish"...
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Mechanic *

Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:45 am
  • I had an LG Chocolate - I hated that phone.
    I enjoy ruining threads by making them about personal attacks and then commenting about how personal attacks make the other person's argument invalid.

:les:
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:20 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information