Anybody in the car business?

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Anybody in the car business?
Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:17 am
  • Selling my car as I don't drive much. Wondering if any of you are in the car business and can give me any pointers. Should I sell to private party or the dealer that I purchased it from?

I expect the dealer would low ball a bit but I could avoid a long sales process.

Car is a 2012 Mazdaspeed3 with only 21k miles. Blue book is around 18.5 on it, wondering what I could expect from a (fair) dealer.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Re: Anybody in the car business?
Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:29 am
  • Find a similar vehicle, conditions and mileage, and what the dealer wants.

Subtract $3-4K and that is approx what they will offer.

If there is a Carmax in the area, they might give a little more. They will give you a number and give you like 3-7 days to accept it.

Selling to a private party will get a little more than that, but will take more effort.
    And this post is not directed at anyone personally.
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:53 am
  • DTexHawk wrote:Find a similar vehicle, conditions and mileage, and what the dealer wants.

If there is a Carmax in the area, they might give a little more. They will give you a number and give you like 3-7 days to accept it.

Selling to a private party will get a little more than that, but will take more effort.

Thanks DTex.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:17 am
  • Selling on Craigs List isn't that bad, just make sure that you have a burner phone if you don't like being harassed on your normal number. Also, if you go that route, make sure that you meet with them near a police station as that lowers the risk of someone ripping you off. I've bought and sold things this way and have had no problems so far.
    SalishHawkFan wrote:My name is Russell Wilson. You intercepted 4 of my passes. Prepare to die.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:28 pm
  • Bought and sold a few cars on craigslist. Absolutely no problems. Last two cars I bought on craigslist have been great deals.

Some tips if you want to use CL:

Nothing really hard about it. Just be honest with your post, be detailed (good pics, description,etc.) and expect to get low balled/offers. Be patient and someone should give you what you want or close to it if it is fair price. Check other craigslist post for your make and model of your car and compare prices. I don't find KBB,etc. always accurate. Bump your post when you can.

When you meet and let people test drive, just make sure they come to somewhere near you, people like to flake/not show up, so don't set yourself up for failure by meeting in Bellingham if you live in Seattle. Also check that they can actually drive (have a license). Paperwork is easy as them giving you money, then you signing the title and then them signing the title. Nothing hard about it. Would also definitely recommend a bill of sale just for security, but the DMV doesn't look at it either way and it doesn't really matter since you're the seller, but if the buyer wants one, you can tell them to write one.

Safety can be a concern, but just meet in a public place in the daytime and you should be fine.
    Last edited by dontbelikethat on Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    20% off Karmaloop & 10% off PLNDR, rep code: DUCK20
    dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:34 pm
  • Laloosh wrote:
    DTexHawk wrote:Find a similar vehicle, conditions and mileage, and what the dealer wants.

Thanks DTex.

Re Craigslist, my son sold an old 95 Toyo Camry that way. It was obviously not near the worth of your vehicle. Me, another son, and him were all present in an open parking lot. From listing to sale was under 2 hours.

If you do go the private party, they likely will finance so you would get a check from the lender which is safe. If no lender I would make sure they pay with certified check or cash and meet them at your bank for the trade off. Let your bank see the check and/or cash before giving the keys away.

Good luck.
    And this post is not directed at anyone personally.
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:40 pm
  • I've never sold a car via financing or financed a car, but definitely be wary of fake cashier's checks or money. Like DTex said, if it's a check, verify at the bank before you hand over the keys. If it's in cash (which is what I prefer), then just check the bills and count the money. Obviously scams do happen, so it's better to be prepared, but more times than not, you should be fine.
    20% off Karmaloop & 10% off PLNDR, rep code: DUCK20
    dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:46 pm
  • I was a car salesman for a couple years. If you want good value, you have to sell it yourself privately. Keep in mind that if you sell it to a dealer, they need to sell it for what you would sell it for on Craigslist, maybe a little bit more, but need pay to recondition the car and also make a profit on it. Selling to a dealer is great if you just need the quick cash, but you're going to get considerably less than selling it yourself.

Look for yourself. If you go to edmunds, kbb, nada, cars.com, etc, most have tools that will tell you how much you can expect to get by selling it privately, and how much to expect for a trade-in (which is what a dealer would give you for it.) If you take it to a dealer, take as much good literature showing value as you can with you.
    "So between my friends and I we have been at every home game to date this year, and we have all been plotting the offensive plays called. " ------Anthony!
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:38 pm
  • Tical21 wrote:I was a car salesman for a couple years. If you want good value, you have to sell it yourself privately. Keep in mind that if you sell it to a dealer, they need to sell it for what you would sell it for on Craigslist, maybe a little bit more, but need pay to recondition the car and also make a profit on it. Selling to a dealer is great if you just need the quick cash, but you're going to get considerably less than selling it yourself.

Look for yourself. If you go to edmunds, kbb, nada, cars.com, etc, most have tools that will tell you how much you can expect to get by selling it privately, and how much to expect for a trade-in (which is what a dealer would give you for it.) If you take it to a dealer, take as much good literature showing value as you can with you.

Thanks Tical.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:06 pm
  • I get a thrombo every time I even contemplate buying or selling a vehicle! For me the trouble of selling on CL or AT is worth it to not have to grovel at a dealership for hours and just get lowballed. If I have to hear one more " let me run this by my manager" in my lifetime, it is too many! My best tip is a no brainer really, CLEAN Sells! Spend a day detailing it inside and out and you will take away any argument (damage notwithstanding)about the condition influencing the price. I keep religious maintenance records on every vehicle I own and have yet to meet anyone who wanted to see them when it came time to part ways with it, so theres that. Also save yourself some time and honestly list any imperfections on your ad, you eliminate it as a source of wiggle room that way.

Good luck! :thirishdrinkers:
    Evil_Shenanigans
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:24 pm
  • Evil_Shenanigans wrote:My best tip is a no brainer really, CLEAN Sells! Spend a day detailing it inside and out and you will take away any argument (damage notwithstanding)about the condition influencing the price.

Does that apply to older, cheaper vehicles that will most likely be sold for cash, too?

I'm planning on selling my old Jeep this year (it's my second vehicle and is rarely driven) and it needs a few odds and ends mechanically - a new clockspring, a rattling heat shield that likely needs to be spot-welded, one of the brake lights is out...all told probably a day at the shop and maybe $300. I called a local shop today and the guy said I shouldn't bother if I'm just going to sell it on Craigslist...that anyone looking at a 1998 vehicle isn't going to expect it to be perfect and that old Jeep Wranglers in particular tend to attract buyers that are mechanically inclined. He said I should save my time and money and just tell the buyers about the problems and price it $300 lower.

I'm not so sure - it seems like that would just be giving ammunition to low-ballers, not to mention alienating potential buyers that don't want to fix anything. Free advice appreciated. :)
    SnoCoHawk
    NET Starter

Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:31 pm
  • SnoCoHawk wrote:
    Evil_Shenanigans wrote:My best tip is a no brainer really, CLEAN Sells! Spend a day detailing it inside and out and you will take away any argument (damage notwithstanding)about the condition influencing the price.

Does that apply to older, cheaper vehicles that will most likely be sold for cash, too?

I'm planning on selling my old Jeep this year (it's my second vehicle and is rarely driven) and it needs a few odds and ends mechanically - a new clockspring, a rattling heat shield that likely needs to be spot-welded, one of the brake lights is out...all told probably a day at the shop and maybe $300. I called a local shop today and the guy said I shouldn't bother if I'm just going to sell it on Craigslist...that anyone looking at a 1998 vehicle isn't going to expect it to be perfect and that old Jeep Wranglers in particular tend to attract buyers that are mechanically inclined. He said I should save my time and money and just tell the buyers about the problems and price it $300 lower.

I'm not so sure - it seems like that would just be giving ammunition to low-ballers, not to mention alienating potential buyers that don't want to fix anything. Free advice appreciated. :)

I guess I would say fix the easy stuff, but if it is something that is going to be tough to recoup I would tend to just price it accordingly and note it in the listing so they can't throw it back at you later.
    Evil_Shenanigans
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:40 pm
  • As others have already said, you will get much less from a dealer than if you sell it privately. Probably somewhere in the $2-3 thousand less range and quite possibly more than that.

It really isn't all that much time or effort to sell it privately IMO.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:58 pm
  • SnoCoHawk wrote:
    Evil_Shenanigans wrote:My best tip is a no brainer really, CLEAN Sells! Spend a day detailing it inside and out and you will take away any argument (damage notwithstanding)about the condition influencing the price.

IMO, that guy gave you bad advice.

If the stuff is relatively cheap and easy to fix, doing so will make your vehicle a lot more attractive to a lot more buyers. Sure, any reasonable person isn't going to expect a '98 Jeep to be perfect, but the more that's wrong with it, the more buyers will be turned off and the more they will wonder what else is wrong with it that you're not telling them or don't know about and the more ammunition you are giving the buyer to lowball you.

Nobody wants to buy a vehicle with a bunch of issues that they are going to have to fix unless it is worth their while. In other words, cheap.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

It is currently Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:36 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information