Interstellar

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Interstellar
Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:25 am
  • Anyone else go see this? I saw it last night and walked out of the theater with mixed thoughts. Being a "nolanite", I always have high expectations for Nolan's films. The best word to describe the film was EPIC. Nolan was clearly swinging for the fences on this one. I enjoyed it, didn't love it. A bit pretentious IMO. What was everyone else's opinion about the movie?
    Abach
    NET Rookie

Re: Interstellar
Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:32 am
  • Was on the fence between this and Nightcrawler and wound up choosing the latter. Excellent choice on my part.
    marko358
    NET Starter

Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:40 am
  • Epic is an accurate description. I felt spent after seeing it and it was difficult at times to wrap my head around. But it had me thinking afterwords and even this morning. I don't think I'll fully understand the scope until I see it at least one more time.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:50 am
  • One part Gravity, two parts Tree of Life. Heavy on the existentialism. Good, but not what I expected.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:47 pm
  • marko358 wrote:Was on the fence between this and Nightcrawler and wound up choosing the latter. Excellent choice on my part.

I've seen both and I thought Nightcrawler was a bit better
    Jw_theegreat
    NET Bench Warmer

Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:08 pm
  • Went and saw it last night.

I think that Nolan could have made the movie in two parts and about 4 hours long. Problem with that though is no one would have paid to watch the second part because there wasn't enough excitement to warrant people spending money to see a second part.

So it felt like he skimped on the story because he had to. It was Epic and it was enjoyable but it felt like too much was left out of character development.
    BEVELL IS THE DEVIL
    storm74
    NET Veteran

Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:58 pm
  • I liked Nightcrawler a lot. About to see Interstellar now.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:56 pm
  • Wow. Interstellar was the best film I've seen in years. Very impressed. Matthew McConaughey did a great job, and the score was fantastic.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:57 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Wow. Interstellar was the best film I've seen in years. Very impressed. Matthew McConaughey did a great job, and the score was fantastic.

Better than Avatar? :twisted:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:If any Twitter employees get assassinated I'll vote Republican from here on out.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:19 pm
  • OkieHawk wrote:Better than Avatar? :twisted:

It's awesome how history can just be rewritten at will to support a preferred assertion. ;)

The answer to your rhetorical jesting question is "yes", though.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:25 pm
  • I'm going early this next week so no spoilers guys.

To me, no movie has been able to top the Peter Jackson version of King Kong, especially the Kong-Island action sequences. That movie was awesome on so many levels. Especially the way he filmed it using extended facial expression scenes that hold on longer than normal, a lot of character attitude swings, and the CGI has not been topped either, even by any of the Hobbit series stuff, IMHO. By saying this, that means Avatar, 2012, Prometheus, et.al. have been unimpressive to me as well.

I'm remaining optimistic, but Sean is saying what I want to hear "hard to catch it all in one watch", which is good news for me. I'll take "hard to figure out" over "went by so quick I didn't catch it" any day.
    "...Seattle has become the capital city of the New NFL" - Kip Earlywine
    :les: Remembering "The Radish"...
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Mechanic *

Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:31 pm
  • Annnnnnnd we have confirmation that HoustonHawk has a crack problem.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:31 pm
  • Jw_theegreat wrote:
    marko358 wrote:Was on the fence between this and Nightcrawler and wound up choosing the latter. Excellent choice on my part.

I've seen both and I thought Nightcrawler was a bit better

I figured nightcrawler as just paparazzi from a car, and boring. Wrong?

Worth seeing, huh?
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Mechanic *

Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:34 pm
  • I enjoyed Nightcrawler quite a bit. It's definitely not what you have in mind, Houston. It's also definitely not better than Interstellar, however.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:41 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Annnnnnnd we have confirmation that HoustonHawk has a crack problem.

Explain, like I was a child.

Yes, yes, the CGI of the last 8 or so years is too cartoony. They used a better (and more basic) interlacing methodology before 2006 so your brain can smear the green screen human stuff and cgi stuff together better. They've gotten lazy and the software that automatically does things is cheaper and faster but the quality is just not analog enough to be real looking in the mix.

Avatar looks like a cartoon movie. Not real looking AT ALL.

I urge y'all to re-watch a Blu-ray version of King Kong on a 1080p set and get back to me. You will see what I mean.
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Mechanic *

Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:12 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I enjoyed Nightcrawler quite a bit. It's definitely not what you have in mind, Houston. It's also definitely not better than Interstellar, however.

I think Nightcrawler is better because it has a much richer story and I felt Insterstellar left a lot on the table in terms of it's character development and the ideas that it was presenting. Nonetheless it was a great movie and the cinematography was amazing.
    Jw_theegreat
    NET Bench Warmer

Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:12 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Wow. Interstellar was the best film I've seen in years. Very impressed. Matthew McConaughey did a great job, and the score was fantastic.

Really, The best movie you have seen in years? Too much left out for me but I don't think Nolan could have directed this film any differently. I would have loved to see more depth but I don't think it was possible because of the running time of this movie. I still think it would have been an epic failure to have a two piece movie though.
    BEVELL IS THE DEVIL
    storm74
    NET Veteran

Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:21 pm
  • storm74 wrote:Really, The best movie you have seen in years? Too much left out for me but I don't think Nolan could have directed this film any differently. I would have loved to see more depth but I don't think it was possible because of the running time of this movie. I still think it would have been an epic failure to have a two piece movie though.

Yes, the best I've seen in years. Just my opinion. He did leave more out than anybody would expect, but it worked.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:15 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    storm74 wrote:Really, The best movie you have seen in years? Too much left out for me but I don't think Nolan could have directed this film any differently. I would have loved to see more depth but I don't think it was possible because of the running time of this movie. I still think it would have been an epic failure to have a two piece movie though.

Yes, the best I've seen in years. Just my opinion. He did leave more out than anybody would expect, but it worked.

You don't think the ending jumped the shark a bit? As did some of the beginning?
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:47 am
  • Stunning. Just saw it last night. Absolutely. Stunning.

I gained a lot of respect for Hathaway, she played a strong female character throughout. McConaughey played a believable Cooper. The science was accurate enough to make for a great movie and tip a hat to the possibilities.

There were so many things to cover, I can hardly imagine what was left on the cutting room floor. I appreciate that the movie didn't rely on special-effects like Gravity did. I appreciate that it was much based around the different people's realities during an interstellar mission. Loneliness, hopelessness - the worst evolutionary traits of our species.
    I enjoy ruining threads by making them about personal attacks and then commenting about how personal attacks make the other person's argument invalid.

:les:
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:47 am
  • SacHawk2.0 wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:
    storm74 wrote:Really, The best movie you have seen in years? Too much left out for me but I don't think Nolan could have directed this film any differently. I would have loved to see more depth but I don't think it was possible because of the running time of this movie. I still think it would have been an epic failure to have a two piece movie though.

You don't think the ending jumped the shark a bit? As did some of the beginning?

What part of the ending "jumped the shark"?
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:46 am
  • With Roland and Sonic both recommending this movie, I don't think I have a choice but to go see it.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:22 pm
  • The hard science was refreshing but undoubtedly lost on most of the movie-going public, even though the film had to be nearly 3 hours to spoon-feed them the details. Nolan's yet to produce a bad or even average movie. If you liked Contact, you'll like this. Beautiful imagery and VFX, and perhaps some of Zimmer's best work ever. Soild acting, but I can't stand Hathaway. A couple of surprise faces here and there.

Saw it at the Boeing IMAX; bass was a bit heavy at times on the border of reverb. Also screw people who have one person get in line early and then their whole clan jumps in with them like half an hour later. A-holes. Save a seat inside, I don't care. But eff you for cutting in front of me.
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:11 pm
  • This was definitely a movie that makes you think about it for days afterward. I had very mixed feelings after I saw it, to the point where I was speechless. I just could not verbalize what I felt about it. I liked it a lot, though, and was entertained the whole way through. I liked the first 3/4ths better than the last quarter. I think the ending got a bit weird and I wish it was just a little more straightforward, but it didn't ruin the movie for me.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:50 pm
  • Finally getting the chance to see this on my birthday. I'm a Nolan fan so I know I'll like it.
    Hey Cardinals..........The FUN is OVER !!!
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:33 pm
  • Just saw it today.

I'm a seeker of truth so I was still left wanting, especially at the end. I have to keep reminding myself the answers to the universe aren't going to come from movies, but come on, Hollywood, give me data!

But is was very good.
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Mechanic *

Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:34 am
  • Cosign. Reminds me of a lot of other Nolan movies.

They allow you to think about what you saw, and debate the many scenarios.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:53 am
  • First, a bit of a disclaimer. I haven't been to a movie theater in years. Mostly due to my financial situation, which hasn't been good at all. So, I've been missing most of the 'big screen' effects for a while. I went to see this on the mini-IMAX at Alderwood mall, and loved it, for the most part.

I found the ending to be a bit off-kind of weird, and as was said above, a bit existentialist, mixed with Einsteinian physics, of course. I'm not a physicist, and I don't play one on TV, but the science was right at a good place for the willful suspension of disbelief required in a story like this. I must admit, I didn't see what was coming at the end, but at least it wasn't syrupy or overly happy. I'll agree with Roland. It worked.

I'd certainly recommend it to anyone who enjoys good Sci-fi, as IMHO this qualifies as such.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:43 am
  • I enjoyed it. The ending was a bit..eh. I grasp the physics, well, as well as any of us lay people can..I just dont like what they did with them. Thought the set up at the beginning was too rushed and really the movie needed to be 4 hours. Or, a unique idea for marketing.. a 1 hour video on youtube..that you watch that sets up a 3 hour movie you see in the theater.
    “If somebody thinks they're a hedgehog, presumably you just give them a mirror and a few pictures of hedgehogs and tell them to sort it out for themselves.”
    Vetamur
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:50 am
  • Vetamur wrote:I enjoyed it. The ending was a bit..eh. I grasp the physics, well, as well as any of us lay people can..I just dont like what they did with them. Thought the set up at the beginning was too rushed and really the movie needed to be 4 hours. Or, a unique idea for marketing.. a 1 hour video on youtube..that you watch that sets up a 3 hour movie you see in the theater.

Would love if a 'universe' was created beyond the movie.
    I enjoy ruining threads by making them about personal attacks and then commenting about how personal attacks make the other person's argument invalid.

SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:40 pm
  • It was all relatively-believable, until he pulled the "eject" lever...
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Mechanic *

Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:14 pm
  • Enjoyed it a lot. Nolan's usual quasi-mumblecore sensibility, visuals and moments that trust the audience's intelligence, and just a great soundtrack. I still get chills listening to it on Youtube. Not sure about the ending, but I like that it didn't cheat in the usual sense but still made the emotional side of it necessary to the story.
    GO HAWKS!!!

MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:29 pm
  • quasi-mumblecore?.......Ummm, is the air there ok?
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:47 am
  • Saw it Friday. Disappointed.

Win Forever!
    JonRud
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:31 am
  • JonRud wrote:Saw it Friday. Disappointed.

Not as disappointed as we are in you.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:10 pm

Why?

SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:44 pm
  • I just got done watching it and I agree with Roland. Might be the best movie Chris Nolan has ever produced (although I am huge fan of The Prestige).

I'm still trying to understand some of it cause it did cram a lot in 3 hours. But the best part is I was gripped for the entire 3 hours and probably could have stayed for 10.

The score might be the best I have ever heard. Ever. It was that gripping throughout.
    "12's, they're bringing the trophy home." - Steve Raible
    seahawksfan28
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:57 pm

Troll. :P
    GO HAWKS!!!

MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:40 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    JonRud wrote:Saw it Friday. Disappointed.

Not as disappointed as we are in you.

This. He must be adopted.
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:04 pm
  • I liked the movie. But it had one glaring issue that I couldn't understand.

Now, a bit of a preface... Im all for movies set in the future having technology that we haven't invented yet. And if its used in a futuristic movie, that's completely fine.

However, something that just stood out to me and confused me. When they launch off from Earth, they utilize a three-stage rocket booster. For those who dont know, thats what we use now. It takes a ton of energy to counter the effects of Earths gravity. So they launch their cool shuttle into space using a giant rocket. Great.
    But, later on, they visit the first planet by using their shuttle. They come out of orbit and land on the watery surface. While there, they say the planet has 1.3 times the gravity of Earth. Some shit goes wrong, yada yada yada, they have to make a hasty escape from these insanely huge waves. Super cool.....

Wait, how the hell did that Shuttle just fly into orbit from the surface? If we're to believe that the Shuttle has the capability to propel itself with some sort of infinite power source (since there is no major fuel pods attached), and have enough force to escape the pull of the planets gravity(1.3 x's Earths), then why the hell did it need a 3-stage rocket booster to get off of earth?
    Im all for these types of space shuttles in futuristic movies. But if you are going to go that route, then at least stay consistent.
    hawksincebirth wrote:So Russell has leverage but marshawn doesn't ? I thought its next man up. Hey we got t jack and bj Daniels right ??
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:04 am
  • ^
    They didn't take that little shuttle into orbit from earth. That one was already in orbit from previous missions. They took some other ship up to dock with the ring ship.

I'm guessing they had limited resources?
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:50 am
  • SacHawk2.0 wrote:^
    They didn't take that little shuttle into orbit from earth. That one was already in orbit from previous missions. They took some other ship up to dock with the ring ship.

I'm guessing they had limited resources?

Hmmm, i remember the same shuttle docking with the endurance (the ringed habitable ship) and there being 2 other shuttles (used later for the jettison scene into the black hole). The shuttle looked exactly the same on the inside when it was moving internally to line up with the windows right after the launch as the one that went onto the other planets.

regardless, it seems like a far more efficient method to just take off with one of those ships instead of spending the large amount of resources it takes to use a 3-stage rocket booster.

By and large, its my only real complaint about the movie. Otherwise it was really good. Loved the way they used relativity. And loved how they were able to show the dimension of time in a 3D setting during the black hole scene. It may have been a bit convoluted with the whole telling his daughter the entire equations of the quantum data inside a black hole through a short series of morse code in the watch, but I can dig it.
    hawksincebirth wrote:So Russell has leverage but marshawn doesn't ? I thought its next man up. Hey we got t jack and bj Daniels right ??
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:07 am
  • You could be correct. I thought it was a coherent vehicle they took to the water planet.
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:35 am
  • SacHawk2.0 wrote:You could be correct. I thought it was a coherent vehicle they took to the water planet.

It wasn't the Modership then?
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Mechanic *

Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:21 pm
  • HoustonHawk82 wrote:
    SacHawk2.0 wrote:You could be correct. I thought it was a coherent vehicle they took to the water planet.

It wasn't the Modership then?

MODERSHIP!
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:03 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information