AT&T Fined $100 million for Slowing "Unlimited" Data

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
  • http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2015/06/17/att-just-got-hit-with-a-100-million-fine-after-slowing-down-its-unlimited-data/

The FCC found that when customers used up a certain amount of data watching movies or browsing the Web, AT&T "throttled" their Internet speeds so that they were much slower than normal. Millions of AT&T customers were affected by the practice, according to the FCC.

Many of AT&T’s unlimited customers have 4G LTE service, which typically provides mobile Internet speeds of more than 30 megabits per second. That's roughly 60 times faster than the speeds experienced when AT&T throttled subscribers, who were slowed to speeds equivalent to dial-up, according to a senior FCC official.

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• HA. Good. I'm a Verizon Wireless user, personally; but regardless, Grumpy Cat knows my feels on this one.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• haha that's funny. Good. AT&T doesn't do the unlimited plan anymore, but my wife and I are grandfathered into it (they always try to get us to change... nope!) Just on Monday I had a text from them saying that I'd hit 75% of my data, and they were going to slow down my service. How do I know when I hit 75% of unlimited? What is 75% of infinite?
    "I don't know what you're talking about." GT
    TriCHawk
    NET Veteran

• TriCHawk wrote:haha that's funny. Good. AT&T doesn't do the unlimited plan anymore, but my wife and I are grandfathered into it (they always try to get us to change... nope!) Just on Monday I had a text from them saying that I'd hit 75% of my data, and they were going to slow down my service. How do I know when I hit 75% of unlimited? What is 75% of infinite?

A ridiculously large number.
    SalishHawkFan wrote:My name is Russell Wilson. You intercepted 4 of my passes. Prepare to die.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

• OkieHawk wrote:
    TriCHawk wrote:haha that's funny. Good. AT&T doesn't do the unlimited plan anymore, but my wife and I are grandfathered into it (they always try to get us to change... nope!) Just on Monday I had a text from them saying that I'd hit 75% of my data, and they were going to slow down my service. How do I know when I hit 75% of unlimited? What is 75% of infinite?

A ridiculously large number.

Not if you have AT&T

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Sometimes I feel like they are doing the slowing down to my broadband card. But only during peak hours....like all day every day. I did see something interesting today tho... my service actually peaked out on antenna signal. I have not seen that in a while. I wonder if someone messed up and turned up the retransmit power up to spec and then dropped it back down again. hmmmm.
    Cats will rule the world...just ask my cat.
    "Unfortunately, common sense is the least common of all the senses..." - Mark Twain
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• They slow you down after 5GB. I've had the unlimited data plan for years. I've known they throttle me after 5GB since I got the plan. I was told about it when I signed up.
    I guess I don't see what AT&T did wrong. Don't get me wrong, though. If this makes them stop throttling me after 5GB, I'll do a backflip. I use about 25GB per month.
    LargentFan
    NET Starter

• Yeah, T-Mobile's been doing the same thing for ever.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• Zebulon Dak wrote:Yeah, T-Mobile's been doing the same thing for ever.

AFAIK T-Mobile is still unlimited for a lot of users. If you haven't been with them for quite some time then you fall under a "normal" data plan. I used damn near 10Gb last month and never got throttled.
    SalishHawkFan wrote:My name is Russell Wilson. You intercepted 4 of my passes. Prepare to die.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

• I was on an "unlimited" plan that got throttled after 5 gb for years. Just recently was given an option to switch to a truly unlimited plan. But they used to love to throttle me and made no secret about it.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• I have Verizon wireless - they throttle the high users, too. With me It eventually got so bad (even with 4G) that I finally gave up and got a wireless router. Still, I figure I came out ahead since I tethered my phone for all of my internet needs for about 10 years before they slowed it down too much and I actually started having to pay for home internet. I was using about 65 gigs a month.

Now they're not even letting people use tethering apps like FoxFi anymore, even for a minute, unless you pay Verizon $40 a month or upgrade your plan to one that includes hotspot. They're evil overlords, I tell ya.
    SnoCoHawk
    NET Veteran

• I have had T-Mobile since February of 2014. I have their unlimited everything plan, 4G LTE and usually go well over 100+GB a month. I dont get throttled nor do they care according to them when ived talk to them. Its the reason why i switched over to them. I used to have Sprints unlimited everything plan a couple years ago, but they went ahead and decided to up and terminate my contract because i was downloading to much data on my unlimited data plan? How does that even make sense? So in all ive been extremely happy with T-Mobile so far.
    ryan419_2002
    NET Bench Warmer

• SnoCoHawk wrote:I have Verizon wireless - they throttle the high users, too. With me It eventually got so bad (even with 4G) that I finally gave up and got a wireless router. Still, I figure I came out ahead since I tethered my phone for all of my internet needs for about 10 years before they slowed it down too much and I actually started having to pay for home internet. I was using about 65 gigs a month.

Now they're not even letting people use tethering apps like FoxFi anymore, even for a minute, unless you pay Verizon $40 a month or upgrade your plan to one that includes hotspot. They're evil overlords, I tell ya.

You're the reason carriers want to get rid of grandfathered unlimited data plans; talk about abusing the privilege...Geez, dude.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Re: AT&T Fined $100 million for Slowing
Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:01 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    SnoCoHawk wrote:I have Verizon wireless - they throttle the high users, too. With me It eventually got so bad (even with 4G) that I finally gave up and got a wireless router. Still, I figure I came out ahead since I tethered my phone for all of my internet needs for about 10 years before they slowed it down too much and I actually started having to pay for home internet. I was using about 65 gigs a month.

You're the reason carriers want to get rid of grandfathered unlimited data plans; talk about abusing the privilege...Geez, dude.

I was under the impression that Verizon shitcanned the grandfathered plan a couple years back.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:46 am
  • SmokinHawk wrote:I was under the impression that Verizon shitcanned the grandfathered plan a couple years back.

Shitcanned as in, you can't acquire it anymore, yes; but grandfathered people are still grandfathered in. I know, because I'm one. There have been a few months where I've gone over 30GB (travelling and using Netflix while waiting in the airport kind of thing, I average like 3-4GB/month normally) and it was not throttled, and I've never had any warnings, or anything. Just don't use a device upgrade, and you can keep it indefinitely.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• I have sprints unlimited plan. Never had an issue. Watch Netflix all the time. Love it.
    86Hawk
    NET Rookie

Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:41 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    SmokinHawk wrote:I was under the impression that Verizon shitcanned the grandfathered plan a couple years back.

Shitcanned as in, you can't acquire it anymore, yes; but grandfathered people are still grandfathered in. I know, because I'm one. There have been a few months where I've gone over 30GB (travelling and using Netflix while waiting in the airport kind of thing, I average like 3-4GB/month normally) and it was not throttled, and I've never had any warnings, or anything. Just don't use a device upgrade, and you can keep it indefinitely.

They've been taking steps to get all the grandfathered people into tiered plans. Forcing them to buy their devices outright hasn't worked, so now if customers want to upgrade into 4G they'll have to give up their unlimited data. At some point Verizon will just end unlimited data across the board, but for now they're hoping they can get it done less overtly.

It isn't just users like me that make them want to end grandfathered unlimited data altogether (their machinations worked on me - I gave it up). It's also people like you that just keep clenched on their old plan no matter what. Their goal is 100% tiered plans.
    SnoCoHawk
    NET Veteran

• "Upgrade into 4G"? I'm on LTE, and I've hit download speeds close to 100 megabits before on my phone, though usually it's like 30s-50s.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• I am still on 3g with my broadband card. Still unlimited too. I usually average about 7 or 8 gig. I still only pay 60 for the unlimited too. My phone is also about a little over 80 with 5gb on it too.
    Cats will rule the world...just ask my cat.
    "Unfortunately, common sense is the least common of all the senses..." - Mark Twain
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• RolandDeschain wrote:"Upgrade into 4G"? I'm on LTE, and I've hit download speeds close to 100 megabits before on my phone, though usually it's like 30s-50s.

The 4G specification requires 1 Gbps throughput for stationary devices. Since the marketers have taken over at the telecoms, it's impossible to know what their version of "4G" and "3G" and "4G LTE" and "LTE" are.
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran

• We got a $100 and change check last week
    What's Next? What's Next? What's N-X-E-T...?"
    hgwellz12
    NET Veteran

• bmorepunk wrote:The 4G specification requires 1 Gbps throughput for stationary devices. Since the marketers have taken over at the telecoms, it's impossible to know what their version of "4G" and "3G" and "4G LTE" and "LTE" are.

Well yeah, but what else is new? 3G didn't start off meeting 3G specs either, but over time, it rapidly grew WAY past the requirement. Current "G" tech is trending in the same direction. Also, damn you for making me defend a carrier practice in any way. :|
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

It is currently Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:43 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information