rap thread?....

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Re: rap thread?....
Wed May 08, 2013 1:05 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:So......I'll leave it to the rap afficionados to tell me if this is supposed to be good or not, but I can tell you that i didn't like it. Very run-of-the-mill backing track and what appeared to be a bunch of Seattle and hip-hop tropes and cliches trotted out over it. Am i wrong here? this type of music just bores me to death. And i LOVED Jurassic 5, too. Weird.


    No, it's not very good. The flow and lyrics are really very basic, plus this has to be about the 4th or 5th remake I've heard of that Adele song. And maybe that's unfair because I hear a lot of stuff that nobody else ever does, but I can't change what I've heard.

    And I mean no disrespect to Scarfoe, keep doing your thing. You're far from the worst I've heard and if you love doing it then who cares anyway, keep doing what you enjoy. And you're repping Seattle so I can't hate.

    peaches, here's a few songs about Seattle that I enjoy. not saying you will, but it's worth a shot. the Jake One and Macklemore songs are still pretty basic, but they've got a good feel IMO. The Dark Time one is only loosely about Seattle, and really only specifically the last song in the trilogy but it's my crew so I guess I'm biased haha.







    edit: I'm pretty sure all these videos are somewhere in this thread already but who wants to go back and search for them? Not this guy.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    User avatar
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *
     
    Posts: 15341
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:57 pm
    Location: King In The North


Re: rap thread?....
Wed May 08, 2013 1:11 pm
  • That's an Adele sample?? I know Big KRIT used it for "Hometown Hero" I swear it was some band, I could be wrong I often am.
    Image
    3elieve
    User avatar
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *
     
    Posts: 19379
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Graham, WA


Re: rap thread?....
Wed May 08, 2013 1:17 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:That's an Adele sample?? I know Big KRIT used it for "Hometown Hero" I swear it was some band, I could be wrong I often am.



    Correct
    User avatar
    dopeboy206
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 595
    Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 9:47 am


Re: rap thread?....
Wed May 08, 2013 1:18 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:That's an Adele sample?? I know Big KRIT used it for "Hometown Hero" I swear it was some band, I could be wrong I often am.


    Yeah, it's from her first album.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    User avatar
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *
     
    Posts: 15341
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:57 pm
    Location: King In The North


Re: rap thread?....
Wed May 08, 2013 1:20 pm

Re: rap thread?....
Wed May 08, 2013 1:44 pm
  • Ok last song...Some of ya'll might be annoyed by now so I'll just end it off with a banger (something dope)....

    but this is some panty droppin muzik...I'm tryna get to 1,000 plays..

    Rendezvue - Straight Banger (original Track)
    https://soundcloud.com/scarfoe/2-sicc-s ... dezvous206
    User avatar
    dopeboy206
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 595
    Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 9:47 am


Re: rap thread?....
Wed May 08, 2013 2:23 pm
  • heres antother local anthem i know i posted earlier in this thread that i really like


    Throwdown wrote:Tell me why I saw dunceface getting it in the club to this song here



    and its prolly cuz i stay gettin it my doot!
    Image
    User avatar
    dunceface
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3499
    Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:29 am


Re: rap thread?....
Wed May 08, 2013 4:17 pm
  • dopeboy206 wrote:I'm not a backpack rapper like a lot of you guys on here like Jurassic 5 and Jake One and em...But yeah I can't expect everyone to feel it..Thanks for the honest feedbacks though and for taking time to listen to my songs. I really appreciate it. Here are a few more tracks I did. It's real different from the last one I posted..

    It's Magic
    https://soundcloud.com/scarfoe/scarfoe- ... kingcounty

    Bout That
    https://soundcloud.com/scarfoe/scarfoe- ... -206-muzik

    Things She Do
    https://soundcloud.com/scarfoe/scarfoe- ... things-she

    Marathon All bars no hooks..
    https://soundcloud.com/scarfoe/scarfoe-marathon206

    This is dope
    https://soundcloud.com/scarfoedadon/scarfoe-im-on-remix

    Human Nature
    https://soundcloud.com/scarfoedadon/sca ... man-nature

    Died In Ya Arms (Remix)
    https://soundcloud.com/scarfoedadon/sca ... ed-in-your


    Man, it's just....it's all so bland to me. Why does no-one in hip-hop want to do anything interesting with beats or syncopation or time signatures or even taking interesting samples of more obscure songs and doing something fantastic with them? I remember there was a guy down around this area maybe 6 or 7 years ago going by the name of PDA that I really liked. He sampled "I've got a brand new pair of rollerskates" And made a fantastic track with it.

    Macklemore is boring to me too. Haven't we heard all of this kind of stuff before? I just don't get it. Hip-hop/rap has become pop music and has stagnated, in my opinion. I'm interested by innovation. Now, that's not to say I don't like music that's not necessarily innovative, but so much rap/hip-hop just sounds the same. the same tired urban phraseology, the same cliches, the same feel to just about every song. I genuinely do want to like this kind of music, but I'm almost always disappointed. I think the last rap outfit I really enjoyed was Outkast. Not sure if they're considered good or not.

    Scarfoe, if you're enjoying what you're doing, then that's great, but to me, you just sounds like almost every other mainstream rap artist out there. It would be nice to see people try to separate themselves instead of blending in once in a while.

    Also, what is up with Macklemore punctuating his rhymes with that really heavy exhale/breath sound? It's really pretentious and annoying. I promise I'm trying here, guys, I have a deep appreciation for music and can appreciate great artists in any genre.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    User avatar
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *
     
    Posts: 11551
    Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
    Location: Helm's Deep


Re: rap thread?....
Wed May 08, 2013 4:32 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:Man, it's just....it's all so bland to me. Why does no-one in hip-hop want to do anything interesting with beats or syncopation or time signatures or even taking interesting samples of more obscure songs and doing something fantastic with them? I remember there was a guy down around this area maybe 6 or 7 years ago going by the name of PDA that I really liked. He sampled "I've got a brand new pair of rollerskates" And made a fantastic track with it.

    Macklemore is boring to me too. Haven't we heard all of this kind of stuff before? I just don't get it. Hip-hop/rap has become pop music and has stagnated, in my opinion. I'm interested by innovation. Now, that's not to say I don't like music that's not necessarily innovative, but so much rap/hip-hop just sounds the same. the same tired urban phraseology, the same cliches, the same feel to just about every song. I genuinely do want to like this kind of music, but I'm almost always disappointed. I think the last rap outfit I really enjoyed was Outkast. Not sure if they're considered good or not.


    It's just what you've been exposed to. There is so much weird/creative/abstract shit out there you just don't ever hear it because it's not presented to you. There's not a large audience for it so it rarely gets any airplay. And the problem with a lot of this type of rap is that it suuuuuuuucks. It's like there's a balance between the standard, acceptable feelable stuff and the experimental, abstract area that's hard to attain. I could probably turn you on to a few groups that do push the boundaries you're talking about if you're truly interested in checking it out.

    Macklemore got famous off his pop songs. And I'm not here to defend Mack or try to change anybody's mind about him but he has a back catalog that is in some ways similar but in many ways very different from the 2-3 songs you've heard.

    Oh, and yes, Outkast is pretty much the best.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    User avatar
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *
     
    Posts: 15341
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:57 pm
    Location: King In The North


Re: rap thread?....
Wed May 08, 2013 4:49 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:Man, it's just....it's all so bland to me. Why does no-one in hip-hop want to do anything interesting with beats or syncopation or time signatures or even taking interesting samples of more obscure songs and doing something fantastic with them? I remember there was a guy down around this area maybe 6 or 7 years ago going by the name of PDA that I really liked. He sampled "I've got a brand new pair of rollerskates" And made a fantastic track with it.

    Macklemore is boring to me too. Haven't we heard all of this kind of stuff before? I just don't get it. Hip-hop/rap has become pop music and has stagnated, in my opinion. I'm interested by innovation. Now, that's not to say I don't like music that's not necessarily innovative, but so much rap/hip-hop just sounds the same. the same tired urban phraseology, the same cliches, the same feel to just about every song. I genuinely do want to like this kind of music, but I'm almost always disappointed. I think the last rap outfit I really enjoyed was Outkast. Not sure if they're considered good or not.


    It's just what you've been exposed to. There is so much weird/creative/abstract shit out there you just don't ever hear it because it's not presented to you. There's not a large audience for it so it rarely gets any airplay. And the problem with a lot of this type of rap is that it suuuuuuuucks. It's like there's a balance between the standard, acceptable feelable stuff and the experimental, abstract area that's hard to attain. I could probably turn you on to a few groups that do push the boundaries you're talking about if you're truly interested in checking it out.

    Macklemore got famous off his pop songs. And I'm not here to defend Mack or try to change anybody's mind about him but he has a back catalog that is in some ways similar but in many ways very different from the 2-3 songs you've heard.

    Oh, and yes, Outkast is pretty much the best.


    I honestly would like to hear the experimental shit, if you wouldn't mind sorting me out with some names/songs, I'd be ever so grateful.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    User avatar
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *
     
    Posts: 11551
    Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
    Location: Helm's Deep


Re: rap thread?....
Wed May 08, 2013 5:02 pm
  • And for the record no ones saying you don't have a snow balls chance in hell, but I think what they're saying is dare to be a bit different or "off" and please don't do the fake psycho stuff, we got enough of that struggle shit here in he south sound. But you won't get noticed if your falling in lockstep every step of the way.

    I dunno I'm just a dude working minimum wage that had similar dreams, still got the MPC chillin on the desk. But I think it'd serve you better to try and work on your presence and cadence n all that and tweak the subject matter a bit.

    -salute-
    Image
    3elieve
    User avatar
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *
     
    Posts: 19379
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Graham, WA


Re: rap thread?....
Wed May 08, 2013 6:00 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:
    dopeboy206 wrote:I'm not a backpack rapper like a lot of you guys on here like Jurassic 5 and Jake One and em...But yeah I can't expect everyone to feel it..Thanks for the honest feedbacks though and for taking time to listen to my songs. I really appreciate it. Here are a few more tracks I did. It's real different from the last one I posted..

    It's Magic
    https://soundcloud.com/scarfoe/scarfoe- ... kingcounty

    Bout That
    https://soundcloud.com/scarfoe/scarfoe- ... -206-muzik

    Things She Do
    https://soundcloud.com/scarfoe/scarfoe- ... things-she

    Marathon All bars no hooks..
    https://soundcloud.com/scarfoe/scarfoe-marathon206

    This is dope
    https://soundcloud.com/scarfoedadon/scarfoe-im-on-remix

    Human Nature
    https://soundcloud.com/scarfoedadon/sca ... man-nature

    Died In Ya Arms (Remix)
    https://soundcloud.com/scarfoedadon/sca ... ed-in-your


    Man, it's just....it's all so bland to me. Why does no-one in hip-hop want to do anything interesting with beats or syncopation or time signatures or even taking interesting samples of more obscure songs and doing something fantastic with them? I remember there was a guy down around this area maybe 6 or 7 years ago going by the name of PDA that I really liked. He sampled "I've got a brand new pair of rollerskates" And made a fantastic track with it.

    Macklemore is boring to me too. Haven't we heard all of this kind of stuff before? I just don't get it. Hip-hop/rap has become pop music and has stagnated, in my opinion. I'm interested by innovation. Now, that's not to say I don't like music that's not necessarily innovative, but so much rap/hip-hop just sounds the same. the same tired urban phraseology, the same cliches, the same feel to just about every song. I genuinely do want to like this kind of music, but I'm almost always disappointed. I think the last rap outfit I really enjoyed was Outkast. Not sure if they're considered good or not.

    Scarfoe, if you're enjoying what you're doing, then that's great, but to me, you just sounds like almost every other mainstream rap artist out there. It would be nice to see people try to separate themselves instead of blending in once in a while.

    Also, what is up with Macklemore punctuating his rhymes with that really heavy exhale/breath sound? It's really pretentious and annoying. I promise I'm trying here, guys, I have a deep appreciation for music and can appreciate great artists in any genre.



    Thanks for the feedbacks! You honestly think I sound like all these other mainstream artists? I just make the music and let the people do the judging...Good or bad I can take criticism. Personally I don't think I sound like any mainstream artists but I guess we all have different ears..Once again thanks for taking ya time to listen (if you did)...100 bruh bruh..
    User avatar
    dopeboy206
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 595
    Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 9:47 am


Re: rap thread?....
Wed May 08, 2013 6:12 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:Man, it's just....it's all so bland to me. Why does no-one in hip-hop want to do anything interesting with beats or syncopation or time signatures or even taking interesting samples of more obscure songs and doing something fantastic with them? I remember there was a guy down around this area maybe 6 or 7 years ago going by the name of PDA that I really liked. He sampled "I've got a brand new pair of rollerskates" And made a fantastic track with it.

    Macklemore is boring to me too. Haven't we heard all of this kind of stuff before? I just don't get it. Hip-hop/rap has become pop music and has stagnated, in my opinion. I'm interested by innovation. Now, that's not to say I don't like music that's not necessarily innovative, but so much rap/hip-hop just sounds the same. the same tired urban phraseology, the same cliches, the same feel to just about every song. I genuinely do want to like this kind of music, but I'm almost always disappointed. I think the last rap outfit I really enjoyed was Outkast. Not sure if they're considered good or not.


    It's just what you've been exposed to. There is so much weird/creative/abstract shit out there you just don't ever hear it because it's not presented to you. There's not a large audience for it so it rarely gets any airplay. And the problem with a lot of this type of rap is that it suuuuuuuucks. It's like there's a balance between the standard, acceptable feelable stuff and the experimental, abstract area that's hard to attain. I could probably turn you on to a few groups that do push the boundaries you're talking about if you're truly interested in checking it out.

    Macklemore got famous off his pop songs. And I'm not here to defend Mack or try to change anybody's mind about him but he has a back catalog that is in some ways similar but in many ways very different from the 2-3 songs you've heard.

    Oh, and yes, Outkast is pretty much the best.


    We all have different tastes. I'm an artist but I'm also a fan of hiphop/rap..I peeped out most of the songs you posted and none of them will make my playlists. I'm just not a fan of backpack rap...It just sounds weird to me. I'm not hatin but they're just not my preference. To each its own I guess...
    User avatar
    dopeboy206
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 595
    Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 9:47 am


Re: rap thread?....
Wed May 08, 2013 6:16 pm
  • dopeboy206 wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:
    dopeboy206 wrote:I'm not a backpack rapper like a lot of you guys on here like Jurassic 5 and Jake One and em...But yeah I can't expect everyone to feel it..Thanks for the honest feedbacks though and for taking time to listen to my songs. I really appreciate it. Here are a few more tracks I did. It's real different from the last one I posted..

    It's Magic
    https://soundcloud.com/scarfoe/scarfoe- ... kingcounty

    Bout That
    https://soundcloud.com/scarfoe/scarfoe- ... -206-muzik

    Things She Do
    https://soundcloud.com/scarfoe/scarfoe- ... things-she

    Marathon All bars no hooks..
    https://soundcloud.com/scarfoe/scarfoe-marathon206

    This is dope
    https://soundcloud.com/scarfoedadon/scarfoe-im-on-remix

    Human Nature
    https://soundcloud.com/scarfoedadon/sca ... man-nature

    Died In Ya Arms (Remix)
    https://soundcloud.com/scarfoedadon/sca ... ed-in-your


    Man, it's just....it's all so bland to me. Why does no-one in hip-hop want to do anything interesting with beats or syncopation or time signatures or even taking interesting samples of more obscure songs and doing something fantastic with them? I remember there was a guy down around this area maybe 6 or 7 years ago going by the name of PDA that I really liked. He sampled "I've got a brand new pair of rollerskates" And made a fantastic track with it.

    Macklemore is boring to me too. Haven't we heard all of this kind of stuff before? I just don't get it. Hip-hop/rap has become pop music and has stagnated, in my opinion. I'm interested by innovation. Now, that's not to say I don't like music that's not necessarily innovative, but so much rap/hip-hop just sounds the same. the same tired urban phraseology, the same cliches, the same feel to just about every song. I genuinely do want to like this kind of music, but I'm almost always disappointed. I think the last rap outfit I really enjoyed was Outkast. Not sure if they're considered good or not.

    Scarfoe, if you're enjoying what you're doing, then that's great, but to me, you just sounds like almost every other mainstream rap artist out there. It would be nice to see people try to separate themselves instead of blending in once in a while.

    Also, what is up with Macklemore punctuating his rhymes with that really heavy exhale/breath sound? It's really pretentious and annoying. I promise I'm trying here, guys, I have a deep appreciation for music and can appreciate great artists in any genre.



    Thanks for the feedbacks! You honestly think I sound like all these other mainstream artists? I just make the music and let the people do the judging...Good or bad I can take criticism. Personally I don't think I sound like any mainstream artists but I guess we all have different ears..Once again thanks for taking ya time to listen (if you did)...100 bruh bruh..


    I listened to the first three tracks. Are you building those backing tracks or is someone else? I'd be interested to know if you ever experiment with interestin syncopation or time signatures, or like changing up the tempo/time signature mid-song. Just all seemed like it was 4/4 at about 220 bpm to me.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    User avatar
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *
     
    Posts: 11551
    Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
    Location: Helm's Deep


Re: rap thread?....
Wed May 08, 2013 6:16 pm

Re: rap thread?....
Wed May 08, 2013 6:18 pm
  • Any damn wayyyy



    Just heard it, and I've played it 5x in a row.
    Image
    3elieve
    User avatar
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *
     
    Posts: 19379
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Graham, WA


Re: rap thread?....
Wed May 08, 2013 6:20 pm
  • Anyone know where that "SIC ILL" thread went? that was some comedy.
    Image
    3elieve
    User avatar
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *
     
    Posts: 19379
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Graham, WA


Re: rap thread?....
Wed May 08, 2013 6:21 pm
  • dopeboy206 wrote:Now this shit is hard...The video is dope...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nSV9bAjUbs



    Is this good? Zeb, is this supposed to be good? I thought it was terrible.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    User avatar
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *
     
    Posts: 11551
    Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
    Location: Helm's Deep


Re: rap thread?....
Wed May 08, 2013 6:24 pm
  • @peachesenregalia I didn't make those beats. Those were just mixtape stuff I did..

    And you think that video of Decipher was terrible..? Watch the video and listen to his bars and the background matches with everything he said..And it was straight bars with no hooks
    Last edited by dopeboy206 on Wed May 08, 2013 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    User avatar
    dopeboy206
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 595
    Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 9:47 am


Re: rap thread?....
Wed May 08, 2013 6:25 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:Any damn wayyyy



    Just heard it, and I've played it 5x in a row.


    Now this I liked. The main vamp under the vocal is pretty basic and somewhat cliched, but I get that the focus is the vocal track here. Excellent rhyming, I thought, inventive lyrics. Good. Liked it.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    User avatar
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *
     
    Posts: 11551
    Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
    Location: Helm's Deep


Re: rap thread?....
Wed May 08, 2013 6:28 pm
  • dopeboy206 wrote:@peachesenregalia I didn't make those beats. Those were just mixtape stuff I did..

    And you think that video of Decipher was terrible..? Watch the video and listen to his bars and the background matches with everything he said..And it was straight bars with no hooks


    It's just the same old shit. Nothing even remotely new or inventive or original in there. Dreadful.

    Also, this 'straight bars with no hooks' thing, I'm assuming you mean no chorus or main theme that gets returned to after each stanza? Yeah, that doesn't do anything for me. Not sure why that's impressive.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    User avatar
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *
     
    Posts: 11551
    Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
    Location: Helm's Deep


Re: rap thread?....
Wed May 08, 2013 6:30 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:
    dopeboy206 wrote:@peachesenregalia I didn't make those beats. Those were just mixtape stuff I did..

    And you think that video of Decipher was terrible..? Watch the video and listen to his bars and the background matches with everything he said..And it was straight bars with no hooks


    It's just the same old shit. Nothing even remotely new or inventive or original in there. Dreadful.

    Also, this 'straight bars with no hooks' thing, I'm assuming you mean no chorus or main theme that gets returned to after each stanza? Yeah, that doesn't do anything for me. Not sure why that's impressive.



    But yet you like the Willie The Kid freestyle (which I ain't knockin) but his flows is also nothin groundbreaking. Let's keep it one hunnid.
    User avatar
    dopeboy206
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 595
    Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 9:47 am


Re: rap thread?....
Wed May 08, 2013 6:33 pm
  • dopeboy206 wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:
    dopeboy206 wrote:@peachesenregalia I didn't make those beats. Those were just mixtape stuff I did..

    And you think that video of Decipher was terrible..? Watch the video and listen to his bars and the background matches with everything he said..And it was straight bars with no hooks


    It's just the same old shit. Nothing even remotely new or inventive or original in there. Dreadful.

    Also, this 'straight bars with no hooks' thing, I'm assuming you mean no chorus or main theme that gets returned to after each stanza? Yeah, that doesn't do anything for me. Not sure why that's impressive.



    But yet you like the Willie The Kid freestyle (which I ain't knockin) but his flows is also nothin groundbreaking. Let's keep it one hunnid.


    I acknowledged that the vamp was nothing special. The reason I liked the Willie the Kid track was because his rhymes and lyrics were inventive and original, not the same old tired cliches being trotted out.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    User avatar
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *
     
    Posts: 11551
    Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
    Location: Helm's Deep


Re: rap thread?....
Wed May 08, 2013 6:38 pm
  • Doesn't sound original to me...It's dope but just not original. .And why do you need Zebs approval? With that said I rather listen to Willie than any of the songs Zebs posted..

    Here is a cat from Longview...
    User avatar
    dopeboy206
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 595
    Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 9:47 am


Re: rap thread?....
Wed May 08, 2013 6:40 pm
  • I'm not looking for Zeb's approval, I'm deferring to a person I know who is much more knowledgeable about the genre than myself, and who's opinion I value very highly on this subject since he produces a fair amount of music up there in the NW.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    User avatar
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *
     
    Posts: 11551
    Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
    Location: Helm's Deep


Re: rap thread?....
Wed May 08, 2013 6:44 pm
  • You can't deny Decipher's mic presence and delivery shits on Willie The Kid...You probably gonna say it's not original but then again who is nowadays..?

    User avatar
    dopeboy206
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 595
    Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 9:47 am


Re: rap thread?....
Wed May 08, 2013 6:47 pm
  • Well, I don't know where Decipher ranks in the hip-hop world among people who are into that sort of music, but I can tell you that I don't really like it. Bland, boring, unoriginal and just not very good.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    User avatar
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *
     
    Posts: 11551
    Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
    Location: Helm's Deep


Re: rap thread?....
Wed May 08, 2013 6:53 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:Well, I don't know where Decipher ranks in the hip-hop world among people who are into that sort of music, but I can tell you that I don't really like it. Bland, boring, unoriginal and just not very good.



    Rank in the hip hop world? What is that suppose to mean..? That's like saying someone has to sell 1 million copies to be dope..? Some of the best hip hop artists are the independent ones who are unsigned because they get more creative and don't need approval from the people calling the shots for them. And I guess our definition of boring and bland is way different. Boring and bland to me is when someone has no mic presence and delivery like some of those artists on the songs Zebs posted..
    User avatar
    dopeboy206
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 595
    Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 9:47 am


Re: rap thread?....
Wed May 08, 2013 6:55 pm
  • The thing about rap music, Ben, is people tend to like what they like. Be it east coast/west coast, gangster/back pack, punchlines/abstract etc. a lot of people who prefer a particular category don't have much tolerance for the others. Also, people tend to get attached to a style or a trend and if something doesn't fit that particular category they just can't enjoy it.

    As far as trying to be creative with tempo, time signature, syncopation etc you're not really going to find a whole lot of it in hip hop, at least not where it's very noticeable. It's out there, but it's just not usually done very well. And it's not really rhythmically friendly to dancing or rapping/storytelling, which is kind of why the music exists in the first place. It can be done well and it has been done well, but even most of those times it's nothing too out of hand.

    I'll try to gather some examples of stuff where I feel like people were innovative and pushed boundaries and were still able to keep it listener friendly.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    User avatar
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *
     
    Posts: 15341
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:57 pm
    Location: King In The North


Re: rap thread?....
Wed May 08, 2013 6:57 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:The thing about rap music, Ben, is people tend to like what they like. Be it east coast/west coast, gangster/back pack, punchlines/abstract etc. a lot of people who prefer a particular category don't have much tolerance for the others. Also, people tend to get attached to a style or a trend and if something doesn't fit that particular category they just can't enjoy it.

    As far as trying to be creative with tempo, time signature, syncopation etc you're not really going to find a whole lot of it in hip hop, at least not where it's very noticeable. It's out there, but it's just not usually done very well. And it's not really rhythmically friendly to dancing or rapping/storytelling, which is kind of why the music exists in the first place. It can be done well and it has been done well, but even most of those times it's nothing too out of hand.

    I'll try to gather some examples of stuff where I feel like people were innovative and pushed boundaries and were still able to keep it listener friendly.



    Well put...Can't say I disagree Zeb. At the end of the day we all have different tastes..

    I listen to em all..If it sounds dope to me..

    Dead Prez
    Eminem
    Tech N9ne
    2pac
    Do or DIe
    Wale
    Messy Marv
    Lupe Fiasco
    Meek Mill
    Trick Daddy
    Blue Scholars
    User avatar
    dopeboy206
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 595
    Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 9:47 am


Re: rap thread?....
Wed May 08, 2013 7:23 pm
  • dopeboy206 wrote:Dead Prez
    Eminem
    Tech N9ne
    2pac
    Do or DIe
    Wale
    Messy Marv
    Lupe Fiasco
    Meek Mill
    Trick Daddy
    Blue Scholars


    See now I really liked Dead Prez back when they dropped Let's Get Free. They were kind of east coast style lyricists with more of a synthy/west coast vibe on the tracks, but they had good lyrics and wrote good songs. Haven't listened to them in a long time.

    Em's been one of my favorites for a years, I even liked his newest shit even if he lost it a little bit lyrically. Tech's dope too, obviously. Not really into the juggalo/shock/murder rap style too much buy the dude can obviously rap. You into Twisted Insane at all?

    Nothing but respect for Pac. Wasn't much of a fan when he was alive, at least nothing after Strickly 4, but as I matured and saw the directions rap went after he died I definitely learned to appreciate what he did.

    Lupe's dope too. I've never owned any of his albums but he's always impressed me lyrically.

    Never quite understood the hype with Blue Scholars. Geo's a good dude and all but to me they were always kind of the epitome of boring, basic Seattle rap. I guess there's always just been so much more going on in the town style-wise that when they were the ones to finally make some real noise on a national level I was a little disappointed.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    User avatar
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *
     
    Posts: 15341
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:57 pm
    Location: King In The North


Re: rap thread?....
Wed May 08, 2013 7:25 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:
    dopeboy206 wrote:Dead Prez
    Eminem
    Tech N9ne
    2pac
    Do or DIe
    Wale
    Messy Marv
    Lupe Fiasco
    Meek Mill
    Trick Daddy
    Blue Scholars


    See now I really liked Dead Prez back when they dropped Let's Get Free. They were kind of east coast style lyricists with more of a synthy/west coast vibe on the tracks, but they had good lyrics and wrote good songs. Haven't listened to them in a long time.

    Em's been one of my favorites for a years, I even liked his newest shit even if he lost it a little bit lyrically. Tech's dope too, obviously. Not really into the juggalo/shock/murder rap style too much buy the dude can obviously rap. You into Twisted Insane at all?

    Nothing but respect for Pac. Wasn't much of a fan when he was alive, at least nothing after Strickly 4, but as I matured and saw the directions rap went after he died I definitely learned to appreciate what he did.

    Lupe's dope too. I've never owned any of his albums but he's always impressed me lyrically.

    Never quite understood the hype with Blue Scholars. Geo's a good dude and all but to me they were always kind of the epitome of boring, basic Seattle rap. I guess there's always just been so much more going on in the town style-wise that when they were the ones to finally make some real noise on a national level I was a little disappointed.


    Listen to some of n9nes songs. It's really not at all like that. He makes music about some real shit. He's my favorite rapper. Although I'm into country and rock more.
    User avatar
    Joey13091
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 790
    Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:13 pm


Re: rap thread?....
Wed May 08, 2013 7:29 pm
  • Joey13091 wrote:Listen to some of n9nes songs. It's really not at all like that. He makes music about some real shit. He's my favorite rapper. Although I'm into country and rock more.


    No, I know it's not. Like I said, he's dope. I like him. I've recorded him. Cool dude.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    User avatar
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *
     
    Posts: 15341
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:57 pm
    Location: King In The North


Re: rap thread?....
Wed May 08, 2013 7:52 pm
  • Lately I've been listening to Oakland rapper Young Gully. Nothin ground breaking with his music but I like the "Dear Mama" sample on this track...




    I liked the original and this one is dope too..
    User avatar
    dopeboy206
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 595
    Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 9:47 am


Re: rap thread?....
Wed May 08, 2013 7:55 pm
  • Old but I like the punchlines on this one...100 bars of Crack

    User avatar
    dopeboy206
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 595
    Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 9:47 am


Re: rap thread?....
Wed May 08, 2013 9:47 pm
  • You know, no one ever talks about Ace Hood as one of the better rappers and I never understood why.



    Dudes crazy nice IMO
    Image
    3elieve
    User avatar
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *
     
    Posts: 19379
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Graham, WA


Re: rap thread?....
Thu May 09, 2013 1:19 am
  • Peaches, Zeb is right that too much experimentation with time signatures is not condusive to rapping or hip hopping, but here are some weirdos u should listen to for some outside the box hip hop (although some of it may not seem as cutting edge because of its age, it may be outside of what you have been exposed to)

    Anti Pop Consortium
    Saul Williams
    Dizzee Rascal
    Death Grips
    Mumbls
    The Cool Kids
    Mickey Factz
    Das Racist
    Image
    User avatar
    dunceface
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3499
    Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:29 am


Re: rap thread?....
Thu May 09, 2013 5:14 am
  • dunceface wrote:Peaches, Zeb is right that too much experimentation with time signatures is not condusive to rapping or hip hopping, but here are some weirdos u should listen to for some outside the box hip hop (although some of it may not seem as cutting edge because of its age, it may be outside of what you have been exposed to)

    Anti Pop Consortium
    Saul Williams
    Dizzee Rascal
    Death Grips
    Mumbls
    The Cool Kids
    Mickey Factz
    Das Racist


    Thanks Trev. I've heard of Dizzee Rascal and didn't care for him. I'll check out a few of these others.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    User avatar
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *
     
    Posts: 11551
    Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
    Location: Helm's Deep


Re: rap thread?....
Thu May 09, 2013 7:43 am
  • Cool Kids >>
    Image
    3elieve
    User avatar
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *
     
    Posts: 19379
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Graham, WA


Re: rap thread?....
Thu May 09, 2013 9:41 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:
    dunceface wrote:Peaches, Zeb is right that too much experimentation with time signatures is not condusive to rapping or hip hopping, but here are some weirdos u should listen to for some outside the box hip hop (although some of it may not seem as cutting edge because of its age, it may be outside of what you have been exposed to)

    Anti Pop Consortium
    Saul Williams
    Dizzee Rascal
    Death Grips
    Mumbls
    The Cool Kids
    Mickey Factz
    Das Racist


    Thanks Trev. I've heard of Dizzee Rascal and didn't care for him. I'll check out a few of these others.


    Yeah a few of these are gonna be REAL WEIRD
    Death Grips is like getting punched in the ear but its strangely addictive
    Image
    User avatar
    dunceface
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3499
    Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:29 am


Re: rap thread?....
Thu May 09, 2013 9:42 am
  • Throwdown wrote:Cool Kids >>


    CHUUUUUUUUUCH
    Image
    User avatar
    dunceface
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3499
    Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:29 am


Re: rap thread?....
Thu May 09, 2013 9:54 am
  • dunceface wrote:Peaches, Zeb is right that too much experimentation with time signatures is not condusive to rapping or hip hopping, but here are some weirdos u should listen to for some outside the box hip hop (although some of it may not seem as cutting edge because of its age, it may be outside of what you have been exposed to)

    Anti Pop Consortium
    Saul Williams
    Dizzee Rascal
    Death Grips
    Mumbls
    The Cool Kids
    Mickey Factz
    Das Racist


    I'm trying to decide if I want to bring Busdriver into the discussion because I honestly can't stand him or anything he's done but he is kinda the Frank Zappa of hip hop.

    Homebody Sandman?
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    User avatar
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *
     
    Posts: 15341
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:57 pm
    Location: King In The North


Re: rap thread?....
Thu May 09, 2013 10:04 am
  • dunceface wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:
    dunceface wrote:Peaches, Zeb is right that too much experimentation with time signatures is not condusive to rapping or hip hopping, but here are some weirdos u should listen to for some outside the box hip hop (although some of it may not seem as cutting edge because of its age, it may be outside of what you have been exposed to)

    Anti Pop Consortium
    Saul Williams
    Dizzee Rascal
    Death Grips
    Mumbls
    The Cool Kids
    Mickey Factz
    Das Racist


    Thanks Trev. I've heard of Dizzee Rascal and didn't care for him. I'll check out a few of these others.


    Yeah a few of these are gonna be REAL WEIRD
    Death Grips is like getting punched in the ear but its strangely addictive


    Weird I like, so long as it's competently done.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    User avatar
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *
     
    Posts: 11551
    Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
    Location: Helm's Deep


Re: rap thread?....
Thu May 09, 2013 10:12 am






  • Here's on that's an example of a time signature other than 4/4.

    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    User avatar
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *
     
    Posts: 15341
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:57 pm
    Location: King In The North


Re: rap thread?....
Thu May 09, 2013 10:22 am
  • Alright, thanks Zeb. the POS track was just ok. Didn't do much for me. I like the Chicharones a lot, very interesting. i REALLY liked that Homeboy Sandman track. As for the Greyskul, 6/8's not bad, and I like the syncopation on it, not falling into the compound 2/4 (two groups of triplets) trap. I found the rhyme/lyrics to be kinda weak though, in my opinion.


    Very cool though. thanks for sharing. Keep 'em coming, if you have time.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    User avatar
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *
     
    Posts: 11551
    Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
    Location: Helm's Deep


Re: rap thread?....
Thu May 09, 2013 10:30 am
  • I can't think of anything really weird that I don't absolutely hate right now and I won't post something I hate haha. If you want, google Busdriver. I won't cosign it as good but I will say he does some really trippy out there shit. Most people love or hate it.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    User avatar
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *
     
    Posts: 15341
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:57 pm
    Location: King In The North


Re: rap thread?....
Thu May 09, 2013 10:36 am
  • Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    User avatar
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *
     
    Posts: 15341
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:57 pm
    Location: King In The North


Re: rap thread?....
Thu May 09, 2013 11:54 am
  • I can definitely say I got different taste in hip hop than peachesenregalia & Zeb
    User avatar
    dopeboy206
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 595
    Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 9:47 am


Re: rap thread?....
Thu May 09, 2013 12:19 pm
  • dopeboy206 wrote:I can definitely say I got different taste in hip hop than peachesenregalia & Zeb


    I think you're definitely probably 100% roughly correct there.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    User avatar
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *
     
    Posts: 11551
    Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
    Location: Helm's Deep


Re: rap thread?....
Thu May 09, 2013 12:28 pm
  • dopeboy206 wrote:I can definitely say I got different taste in hip hop than peachesenregalia & Zeb


    I'm sure that's absolutely true.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    User avatar
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *
     
    Posts: 15341
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:57 pm
    Location: King In The North


PreviousNext


It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:34 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: HHawk121 and 9 guests