Aliens don't exist

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Aliens don't exist
Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:59 pm
  • SonicHawk wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:
    SonicHawk wrote:My argument for alien life is that we exist, which is a fact. If we exist, it's possible that others exist. We are not unique in any way. We exist because of elements that are abundant in the universe. There are trillions of planets like ours.

Your argument is that you don't understand anything and still make definitive statements.

That’s not even close to my argument. You had to invent imaginary numbers to prove your point. I can say with 100% certainty that all available data and evidence shows us being the only intelligent life in the universe.

No.

Categorically yes. You have yet to provide any sort of evidence of any kind to support the existence of extraterrestrial life. You just keep saying “we exist, so aliens have to exist”, while providing literally zero evidence. Even that hack Aros would try to provide evidence. None of it was of any actual value, but at least he tried.
    peachesenregalia
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:48 pm
  • You haven't provided conclusive evidence of your stated point. You made the thread. You made the definitive statement.

I have provided the limitations of the 'evidence' of your statement. I at no point stated that aliens exist other than suggesting that we could be aliens ourselves. I said the likelihood of their existence is greater than 0.
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:05 pm
  • SonicHawk wrote:You haven't provided conclusive evidence of your stated point. You made the thread. You made the definitive statement.

I have provided the limitations of the 'evidence' of your statement. I at no point stated that aliens exist other than suggesting that we could be aliens ourselves. I said the likelihood of their existence is greater than 0.

We can't be aliens, since there is no other intelligent life in the universe. The likelihood of "their" existence is currently 0 based on all available data and evidence.
    peachesenregalia
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:15 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:
    SonicHawk wrote:You haven't provided conclusive evidence of your stated point. You made the thread. You made the definitive statement.

We can't be aliens, since there is no other intelligent life in the universe. The likelihood of "their" existence is currently 0 based on all available data and evidence.

Octopus have different DNA sequences then the rest of the planet, they are the aliens.

https://metro.co.uk/2015/08/12/octopuses-are-aliens-scientists-decide-after-dna-study-5339123/
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:03 pm
    SonicHawk wrote:You haven't provided conclusive evidence of your stated point. You made the thread. You made the definitive statement.

Dude this literally makes no sense... Based on limited information we haven't found other "advanced" life yet. In no way does this mean such life doesn't exist. Why is this so hard for you to comprehend?
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:33 pm

That's not how it works. We don't have definitive proof of their non-existence. And we have plenty of proof that the building blocks of life are ever present across a vast universe. We have no proof of whether they exist or not. This is inarguable (even though you've chosen to make a definitive statement).
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:48 pm
  • SonicHawk wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:

That's not how it works. We don't have definitive proof of their non-existence. And we have plenty of proof that the building blocks of life are ever present across a vast universe. We have no proof of whether they exist or not. This is inarguable (even though you've chosen to make a definitive statement).

If you think that planet size, distance from star and liquid water are "the building blocks of life", then you should probably just bow out of this conversation right now. What a silly and reductive argument to make.
    peachesenregalia
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:22 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:If you think that planet size, distance from star and liquid water are "the building blocks of life", then you should probably just bow out of this conversation right now. What a silly and reductive argument to make.

I'm not stupid.

Hydrogen, nitrogen, carbon and oxygen -- those are the building blocks. From there you get ammonia, nitrates, carbon dioxide, water, methane etc.
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:27 pm
  • SonicHawk wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:If you think that planet size, distance from star and liquid water are "the building blocks of life", then you should probably just bow out of this conversation right now. What a silly and reductive argument to make.

I'm not stupid.

Hydrogen, nitrogen, carbon and oxygen -- those are the building blocks. From there you get ammonia, nitrates, carbon dioxide, water, methane etc.

Wrong. Wrong wrongy wrong. You're ignoring things like radiation, atmosphere, solar wind, total hours of sunlight per day, high and low temps, also our moon makes an enormous difference, as well as the magnetic field our Earth has, not to mention the makeup of our solar system, having a gas giant like Jupiter to keep larger celestial bodies away from us, the list of factors that have allowed life to form and thrive on Earth could fill the library of congress. As far as we can tell, we are completely unique, at least in our galaxy, and so far nothing we can detect would suggest that the same uniqueness doesn't spread to the observable universe.
    peachesenregalia
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:03 am
    SonicHawk wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:If you think that planet size, distance from star and liquid water are "the building blocks of life", then you should probably just bow out of this conversation right now. What a silly and reductive argument to make.

I'm not stupid.

Wrong. Wrong wrongy wrong. You're ignoring things like radiation, atmosphere, solar wind, total hours of sunlight per day, high and low temps, also our moon makes an enormous difference, as well as the magnetic field our Earth has, not to mention the makeup of our solar system, having a gas giant like Jupiter to keep larger celestial bodies away from us, the list of factors that have allowed life to form and thrive on Earth could fill the library of congress. As far as we can tell, we are completely unique, at least in our galaxy, and so far nothing we can detect would suggest that the same uniqueness doesn't spread to the observable universe.

Life is pretty dang capable of living at pretty awful conditions. Gas giants aren't unique, rocky planets aren't unique. We have observed multiple star systems similar to ours.

I mean, heck, multi-cell organisms can even live without oxygen.
    https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2010/04 ... out-oxygen

Here's one recently found only 200 lights years away with a Jupiter and a sun-like star.
    https://cosmosmagazine.com/space/meet-o ... stems-twin

And one study suggests 10% are like ours.
    https://www.universetoday.com/49605/how ... like-ours/

Venus could have been potentially habitable for 2,000,000,000 years early on. Atmospheres aren't unique to Earth.
    https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/20 ... -habitable

And while the moon was beneficial for the formation of life on this planet, it certainly wasn't absolutely necessary.
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... ife-tides/

As far as we can tell, we can't see very far. The furthest we've found a planet is 2,500 light years away. The galaxy is 175,000 light years across.

I'm not disagreeing that intelligent life is most likely extremely rare in the universe. But there is no proof that it doesn't exist.
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:35 pm
  • That's assuming a life form is carbon based, what if they have a different component, then our ideal situation for us could be a toxic hell for them.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:42 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:That's assuming a life form is carbon based, what if they have a different component, then our ideal situation for us could be a toxic hell for them.

They won't have a different base component, because they don't exist.
    peachesenregalia
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:01 pm
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:06 pm
  • :lol: the irony of posting that as a response :lol:
    peachesenregalia
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:32 pm
  • Go ahead and object my cited responses.
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:40 am
  • SonicHawk wrote:Life is pretty dang capable of living at pretty awful conditions.

Even in Oakland! :D
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:38 am
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:
    SonicHawk wrote:Life is pretty dang capable of living at pretty awful conditions.

Even in Oakland! :D

Wow, racist....
    peachesenregalia
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:58 pm
  • Oh, but there is evidence of intelligent life outside of Earth. It's the fact that we can't find any. We are being cloaked from finding anything else to ruin in the Universe by the very intelligent life we are looking for.
    Seahawk
    NET Rookie

Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:36 pm
  • Aliens were on the moon..
    They left a moon buggy behind :lol:
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:07 pm
  • SonicHawk wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:
    SonicHawk wrote:My argument for alien life is that we exist, which is a fact. If we exist, it's possible that others exist. We are not unique in any way. We exist because of elements that are abundant in the universe. There are trillions of planets like ours.

Your argument is that you don't understand anything and still make definitive statements.

That’s not even close to my argument. You had to invent imaginary numbers to prove your point. I can say with 100% certainty that all available data and evidence shows us being the only intelligent life in the universe.

No.

Link?

Alien movies are cool but i haven't seen data proving they made contact with earth. Enlighten me.
    Wenhawk
    .NET Owner

Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:44 pm
  • Wenhawk wrote:
    SonicHawk wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:

No.

Link?

Alien movies are cool but i haven't seen data proving they made contact with earth. Enlighten me.

It's mathematics, god.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:12 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:
    Wenhawk wrote:
    SonicHawk wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:That’s not even close to my argument. You had to invent imaginary numbers to prove your point. I can say with 100% certainty that all available data and evidence shows us being the only intelligent life in the universe.

No.

Link?

It's mathematics, god.

Yes God was an Alien.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Previous

It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:33 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information