Where To Live Around Seattle?

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Where To Live Around Seattle?
Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:43 am
  • I'm originally from Seattle, but looking to move back soon. Don't think I can afford Seattle, so looking at the suburbs around it. Looking in the low to mid 400K range. Are there any neighborhoods in Seattle that you can get a decent house at that price?

So far I'm thinking Burien, Renton, Seatac for the south. Haven't given a lot of thought to up north. Seattle has changed a lot since I left about 14 years ago. Areas that weren't nice back then, seem to be coming back.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Re: Where To Live Around Seattle?
Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:48 am
  • Zillow dot com is your friend in this search... You can easily get a good idea of what the money will get you, all over the place.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:50 am
  • GeekHawk wrote:Zillow dot com is your friend in this search... You can easily get a good idea of what the money will get you, all over the place.

Oh I've used it a lot, just curious what people have to say about certain cities and neighborhoods.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 pm
  • I live in Renton and work in Burien and go thru SeaTac, depends what you are doing Renting or Buying, there are bad spots and good spots in all three, if your buying City of Renton has some of the highest city taxes in the State, it's growing like a weed also and the getting out to the freeways can be a challenge. Burien has a lot of Homeless as does SeaTac, in the City proper but prices are better then Renton. Even renting the rent prices may be competitive between the cities but the taxes in Renton make your monthly expenses higher, we found that out the hard way. Were still here but it's only due to my wife's health and proximity to the healthcare.

The area your talking about is considered more middle class and lower income so crime is going to be associated with what neighborhood your in, you can find some good places but patience and time is what you need, rents are about 1900 and up now for a 3 bedroom, apartments are and can be cheaper but you put yourself in the heart of what most people call the problems unless it's a higher end gated community.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:27 pm
  • How close do you have to be to Seattle? Those are pretty rough areas. Renton is fine in most areas. If you're willing to go a little further, Maple Valley is a pretty good value for a nicer town than those above imo, especially for families.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:42 am
  • Tical21 wrote:How close do you have to be to Seattle? Those are pretty rough areas. Renton is fine in most areas. If you're willing to go a little further, Maple Valley is a pretty good value for a nicer town than those above imo, especially for families.

Maple Valley isn't all that much better just has newer developments since it also has grown rapidly, the escapees from Renton and Kent have moved there that could afford it, many call it Bellevue south do to the were better then you attitude that has grown there. I lived there prior to moving to Renton because 169 became a nightmare with back ups. As stated Maple Valley, Enumclaw and Black Diamond as well as Covington growing like a weed. There are limited ways in and out and back up's all over as well.

Drugs, Gangs, and Crime is just hidden better since the area is newer and it's not as evident.

I know this from personal experience with my daughter and the friends she associated herself with at the time and that was 7 years ago.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:43 am
  • I want to stay fairly close to the city. Was considering Federal Way and Kent, but don't think I want to live that far. From what I've heard, Burien has gotten a lot better than what it used to be. I've heard the same for White Center. Think Maple Valley is a little too far because it's so far east.

Up north I think I want to consider Edmonds, Lynnwood and Mountlake Terrace but not sure I can afford it. Looking for about a 2 or 3 bedroom house with at least 1500 square feet. Price range is low to mid 400k. One reason why I'm not sure I want to live north is that the traffic is awful there. I work all around the Seattle area, I never have issues on I-5 south of Seattle (unless you go all the way to Tacoma), but I-5 between Seattle and Marysville is some of the worst traffic.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:22 am
  • Issaquah, Sammamish
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:23 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:Issaquah, Sammamish

Nice try. I wish.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:56 am
  • Tech Worlds and I used to get together in a refrigerator box behind the hardware store in White Center to watch Hawk games.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:05 am
  • I feel really lucky to live in Sammamish. We were in Renton, but with us both having good jobs, that's the only way we could afford the move. Renton does have some nice areas, but some pretty crappy ones as well. I'd avoid Felony Way at all cost, but that's due to the crime rate. You get what you pay for that's for sure, Sammamish a great city to live in, but w/out two good incomes it's probably not likely. North Bend is a jaunt, but there are some good areas out there as well if you want some space.
    White Center is still pretty bad, Burien has improved over the last few years, but still has a high crime rate. Obviously you have to decide if you want more house for your $ and a longer commute. Many people do that to afford a nice set up at home.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:35 am
  • Im down in the Des Moines area near the marina and there can still be some good deals found on houses/condos. There is not 100% safe place anymore, wherever you live in the area you are less than a 15 minute drive from a crappy area.
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:18 am
  • Except in Orting. The traffic is so bad on the Sumner-Orting Highway that it takes a good half-hour to drive to a crappy area!
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:27 am
  • chris98251 wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:How close do you have to be to Seattle? Those are pretty rough areas. Renton is fine in most areas. If you're willing to go a little further, Maple Valley is a pretty good value for a nicer town than those above imo, especially for families.

Maple Valley isn't all that much better just has newer developments since it also has grown rapidly, the escapees from Renton and Kent have moved there that could afford it, many call it Bellevue south do to the were better then you attitude that has grown there. I lived there prior to moving to Renton because 169 became a nightmare with back ups. As stated Maple Valley, Enumclaw and Black Diamond as well as Covington growing like a weed. There are limited ways in and out and back up's all over as well.

Drugs, Gangs, and Crime is just hidden better since the area is newer and it's not as evident.

I know this from personal experience with my daughter and the friends she associated herself with at the time and that was 7 years ago.

Gangs and crime? The Cherokee Bay crips? Lol. Ok.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:30 am
  • Forgot about Des Moines, there's some solid areas down there.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:32 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:I want to stay fairly close to the city. Was considering Federal Way and Kent, but don't think I want to live that far. From what I've heard, Burien has gotten a lot better than what it used to be. I've heard the same for White Center. Think Maple Valley is a little too far because it's so far east.

Up north I think I want to consider Edmonds, Lynnwood and Mountlake Terrace but not sure I can afford it. Looking for about a 2 or 3 bedroom house with at least 1500 square feet. Price range is low to mid 400k. One reason why I'm not sure I want to live north is that the traffic is awful there. I work all around the Seattle area, I never have issues on I-5 south of Seattle (unless you go all the way to Tacoma), but I-5 between Seattle and Marysville is some of the worst traffic.

I dunno man, just honestly, I think that 400k range is about 33% short for any of the decent areas. I might try to go to like one of the nicer parts of Auburn and see how close I can get to the train line to the city. Maybe something like a condo in Renton?
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:27 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:I feel really lucky to live in Sammamish. We were in Renton, but with us both having good jobs, that's the only way we could afford the move. Renton does have some nice areas, but some pretty crappy ones as well. I'd avoid Felony Way at all cost, but that's due to the crime rate. You get what you pay for that's for sure, Sammamish a great city to live in, but w/out two good incomes it's probably not likely. North Bend is a jaunt, but there are some good areas out there as well if you want some space.
    White Center is still pretty bad, Burien has improved over the last few years, but still has a high crime rate. Obviously you have to decide if you want more house for your $ and a longer commute. Many people do that to afford a nice set up at home.

I remember when Sammamish was the top of a giant sand and rock pit.

North Bend is home, but i wont recommend that to just any stranger.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:55 am
  • North Bend way too far, don't want to deal with commuting from the east side either.

I'm fine not living in a decent area. Went to school in the inner city, I don't need a cushy life. What we call crime areas in the greater area of Seattle isn't even comparable to some of the crime areas of other major cities. From what I've seen over the years, there are very few really bad areas left around Seattle.

I'm aware my price range isn't the best, but it is what I have to work with. I don't make huge money which is why my price range is what it is. I am confident that wherever I buy will be a great investment as property will constantly be climbing. From what I've seen, you can get some really decent houses in the mid 400K range, but you need to be quite a bit outside of Seattle. Think I'd rather get a little less house but be closer to the city.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:56 am
  • We got lucky, bought an older house that was taken care of. Only paid 406K. Most the houses around us now are 1 to 1.2 million average. It's crazy how much people pay for a house on a small lot. Of course, the school district is one of the best in the country so that's a big reason many people move there. Shoot, I grew up in Tacoma. I remember thinking Issaquah was the boonies basically. My wife is always pointing out areas that used to just be trees etc. So much building around Sammamish, Issaquah, Klahanie etc. It's really frustrating, and the wildlife literally has no place to go. I just don't get paying that much $ for such a small lot. I want a house to feel like a home, not just a bunch of houses crammed together, no yard etc. I like having the big yard etc. But, before we lived in a condo in Renton and we were fine with that as well. Commute is a big deal that's for sure. Grew up pretty poor, so I really appreciate what we have and where we live, probably a lot more than many around us.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:01 am
  • Unfortunately, I have to agree with Tical. Low to mid 400k range is not going to get you into a nice house in a nice neighborhood close to the city. That price range can get you a modest house in a decent neighborhood, but it's gonna be pretty far from the city, like North Bend, Duvall, Sultan/Gold Bar, etc.

Even in my neighborhood in North Bend anything in that price range is getting snatched up almost instantly no matter how small or crappy. A couple months ago a 760 sq ft, 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom, house with no garage and a relatively small lot by my neighborhoods standards was put up for sale. It was on the market for less than a week and sold for $400k.

Anywhere near Seattle is just a really tough market for buyers these days.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:06 am
  • Tical21 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:How close do you have to be to Seattle? Those are pretty rough areas. Renton is fine in most areas. If you're willing to go a little further, Maple Valley is a pretty good value for a nicer town than those above imo, especially for families.

Crimes related to drugs (car prowling, porch pirates and burglary) have become fairly common. It is not uncommon for bikes to disappear when kids leave them unlocked outside (neighborhood park, grocery store, school.) Graphiti on fences and cars has also become a problem. A few homeless camps have popped up along with there problems (human waste, needles, trash, etc.)

As for gangs, the most I have seen on that is groups of middle/high school aged kids thinking beating the shit out of other kids as a group makes them a gang.
    JustTheTip
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:33 pm
  • I don't live there anymore since 2008 but West Seattle is crime low. However, good luck trying to find that budget for there.

We moved to Texas. I have 5 acres and a 4 bedroom house with a garage for $1100 a month.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:19 pm
  • Queen Anne Hill and Magnolia looked nice when I was in Seattle in 1996, and there were some quite nice places on the shores of Lake Washington.... :)
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:37 am
  • Tical21 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:

Well I guess your above that with your 500k plus home and a gated community.

It was considered Country still when I moved there.

When you build 1000 plus apartment complexes guess what the crime comes with them, and yes there are Gang influences in the area. The are just not a Neighborhood thug squad, but people that have no eyes and no street smarts don't see or refuse to see because you know you can't admit it's in YOUR Neighborhood which is really how it gets established, denial.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:57 am
  • I presume you don't have a job lined up at the moment but really consider that impact on your life when considering options. Time and time again I hear people who love everything about living on the outskirts of the city (and that's a subjective categorization) but then invariably find their commute to work to be a nightmare. Chris mentioned his situation where access to healthcare is important and there's a tradeoff between easy access and other weights. For example, I love Ballard in theory but I haven't found many people that live that way who don't have a burdensome commute that bottlenecks before I-99 and I-5 access points.

FWIW, there are light rail expansions in the works both up north and down south that will open the options up a bit more - Northgate and Angel Lake could function as a jumping off points for your commute if you can swing it.

I don't have much to offer other than that since I am a committed Capitol Hillbilly and my calculus is different but I know that commutes are something that really gnaw at folks who have to commute based on where the live.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:44 pm
  • mrt144 wrote:I presume you don't have a job lined up at the moment but really consider that impact on your life when considering options. Time and time again I hear people who love everything about living on the outskirts of the city (and that's a subjective categorization) but then invariably find their commute to work to be a nightmare. Chris mentioned his situation where access to healthcare is important and there's a tradeoff between easy access and other weights. For example, I love Ballard in theory but I haven't found many people that live that way who don't have a burdensome commute that bottlenecks before I-99 and I-5 access points.

FWIW, there are light rail expansions in the works both up north and down south that will open the options up a bit more - Northgate and Angel Lake could function as a jumping off points for your commute if you can swing it.

I don't have much to offer other than that since I am a committed Capitol Hillbilly and my calculus is different but I know that commutes are something that really gnaw at folks who have to commute based on where the live.

Even commuting from Ballard to downtown is hard now. I live in Ballard and commute about 6.8 miles into my work downtown using Metro. Hate it. Takes over an hour each way(walking to bus stops, waiting, they're ALWAYS late, the ride). Buses are PACKED, the buses for the most part are stuck in gridlock like everyone else, maybe they get a break with bus lanes here and there, but for the most part its all a huge mess.

Interestingly I have a co-worker who lives in Lynnwood(over 16 miles from work), his commute is shorter... sometimes living outside of the city and having access to Community Transit or Sound Transit and freeway express lanes is a better choice than living in the city.

And Hawk-Lock, I didn't see you mention children, which makes this much easier. We lived in Kent for many years, and moved out of there about 5 years ago.... mainly because of the schools. But if I didn't have kids, it's probably a decent choice, you could find a decent house in that range within an ok neighborhood. If you don't have to worry about schools.
    Last edited by twisted_steel2 on Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    twisted_steel2
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:51 pm
  • Takes 45 minutes to an hour to drive 9 miles to work each day now from Renton to Burien, most the time is spent just trying to get out of Renton and then the back up interchange from 405 to I 5, people wait till they are at the entrance lane to try to get over and it stops everything. and they are building a crap load more here with no improvement of infrastructure.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:55 pm
  • Commute isn't an issue, my work is mobile, so I'm pretty much driving around the greater area of Seattle. No kids as of yet, but could be in the future. Since we are unsure about kids, don't think we will consider schools when looking for a house.

Anyone else notice that the traffic on I-5 is awful Seattle to Marysville but pretty much no traffic from Tacoma to Seattle? Yeah there is traffic in Tacoma, but you can pretty much go the speed limit during rush hour from Tacoma up until about the west Seattle bridge. One main reason why I'm considering South Seattle rather than North Seattle.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:03 pm
  • When I lived in Kent, for years I worked in Tacoma, now that commute was awesome. I5 was wide open heading south into Tacoma. I was going 70mph looking at everyone in bumper to bumper heading north on I5. Man I miss that.
    twisted_steel2
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:20 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:Commute isn't an issue, my work is mobile, so I'm pretty much driving around the greater area of Seattle. No kids as of yet, but could be in the future. Since we are unsure about kids, don't think we will consider schools when looking for a house.

Anyone else notice that the traffic on I-5 is awful Seattle to Marysville but pretty much no traffic from Tacoma to Seattle? Yeah there is traffic in Tacoma, but you can pretty much go the speed limit during rush hour from Tacoma up until about the west Seattle bridge. One main reason why I'm considering South Seattle rather than North Seattle.

Sweet! That makes it a ton easier, I think. Good luck and welcome back!
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:07 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information