Captain Marvel (No Spoilers).

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Captain Marvel (No Spoilers).
Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:40 am
  • I enjoyed it. I don't think it deserves the shit it's getting online from the review bombers. I thought Brie Larson was good, and Sam Jackson had his most substantial turn in an MCU film, which is always a welcome addition to any film. However, as with most people, I feel Goose stole the show, and is easily my favorite part of the movie. I'd give this movie a solid 7/10, plus one more point just for Goose, pushing it to 8/10.

Seriously, give us more Goose.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Re: Captain Marvel (No Spoilers).
Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:15 am
  • I'm going to see this next Tuesday with my kids. Can't wait.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:53 am
  • Been trying to go to this the last couple weeks, we'll probably go on Friday night if everything works out this week.

I'm optimistic it'll be enjoyable. I don't expect anything groundbreaking though.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:59 am
  • Saw it last weekend.

Captain Marvel is fine, but not great. I'd put it pretty far down the list of movies in the MCU universe (definitely out of the top 10).

As far as the criticism goes, there was definitely a small minority of troll reviewers bashing it before it even came out, and then of course the other side had to white knight and run to defend the overall tone of female empowerment that the movie tries very hard to hammer home.

Which is great, if my daughter was younger I'd absolutely want her to see Captain Marvel, it's a feel good movie for girls. But as an objective adult just judging the movie on it's own merits? Eh, it's just OK.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:00 am
  • Saw it shortly after it came out. It was pretty good. I was talking to a friend and I generally have a top 5 and bottom 5 Marvel movies (okay, I've never actually counted to see if there are 5 in each range) and then a bunch in the middle. I'd put it in the mix in the middle.

Goose was awesome. Missed opportunity, though, was to have Samuel L. Jackson hold up Goose and say, "Talk to me Goose."
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:11 pm
  • Yeah, count me in the "it was ok" crowd. The third act was a lot of fun, Sam Jackson and Ben Mendelsohn carried the movie IMO. I thought the first 2/3 of the movie were moderately interesting from a character/plot building aspect, but were virtually devoid of any real heart or charm. I thought the "twist" was pretty cool, but I didn't really buy it for quite a while, I kept waiting for it all to backfire. Maybe that was the intention. The Skrull had a very Star Trek vibe to them, which threw me off.

I'm trying really hard to like Brie Larson, but she didn't win me over. They kept feeding her witty, winky one liners that felt forced and didn't really land with me. The main critique I heard about her when she was cast was that she basically has only one facial expression and didn't really have the chops to show subtle emotion and I found that to be mostly true here. I liked her fine in Scott Pilgrim and Room, but her performance in Skull Island was similar to this one for me. She doesn't seem to have the charisma to pull off confident hero who can crack jokes in the face of insurmountable odds, which is pretty much a requirement for an Avenger. I have a hard time seeing her as the one to lead the next generation of the MCU. I hope I'm wrong.

I need to see it again. I'm trying not to be too down on it all and usually feel better after a second watch.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:00 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Saw it last weekend.

Captain Marvel is fine, but not great. I'd put it pretty far down the list of movies in the MCU universe (definitely out of the top 10).

As far as the criticism goes, there was definitely a small minority of troll reviewers bashing it before it even came out, and then of course the other side had to white knight and run to defend the overall tone of female empowerment that the movie tries very hard to hammer home.

Which is great, if my daughter was younger I'd absolutely want her to see Captain Marvel, it's a feel good movie for girls. But as an objective adult just judging the movie on it's own merits? Eh, it's just OK.

This. My daughter is 9. She is very princess, pop, art, fashion. She loved CPT marvel. She made me take her brother and her back to the movie the next day. She is already telling me she wants to be CPT Marvel for Halloween.....or goose.
    Fudwamper
    NET Veteran

It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:50 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information