Sciency stuff-Doomed star?

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Sciency stuff-Doomed star?
Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:32 am

Explanation: Eta Carinae may be about to explode. But no one knows when - it may be next year, it may be one million years from now. Eta Carinae's mass - about 100 times greater than our Sun - makes it an excellent candidate for a full blown supernova. Historical records do show that about 170 years ago Eta Carinae underwent an unusual outburst that made it one of the brightest stars in the southern sky. Eta Carinae, in the Keyhole Nebula, is the only star currently thought to emit natural LASER light. This featured image brings out details in the unusual nebula that surrounds this rogue star. Diffraction spikes, caused by the telescope, are visible as bright multi-colored streaks emanating from Eta Carinae's center. Two distinct lobes of the Homunculus Nebula encompass the hot central region, while some strange radial streaks are visible in red extending toward the image right. The lobes are filled with lanes of gas and dust which absorb the blue and ultraviolet light emitted near the center. The streaks, however, remain unexplained.

From NASA.
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Re: Sciency stuff-Doomed star?
Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:10 am
  • Hot damn the Universe is one trippy, beautiful, volatile, enchanting, dangerous, mesmerizing, wondrous place.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:26 pm
  • Aros wrote:Hot damn the Universe is one trippy, beautiful, volatile, enchanting, dangerous, mesmerizing, wondrous place.

No doubt.
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:28 pm
  • Thanks Sutz,

Just wanted to let you know I get a little giddy when I see a new one of these posts from you.
    Fudwamper
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:09 pm
  • Fudwamper wrote:Thanks Sutz,

Just wanted to let you know I get a little giddy when I see a new one of these posts from you.

I appreiciate that. Sometimes these posts just kind of drop off the screen. I was a little lax last off season. I hope to do better this season. Certainly there are plenty of things going on that are worth sharing.
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:04 am
  • Sutz - I always look forward and appreciate your Sciency Stuff posts.

Aros - I thought you were referring to your avatar above... :)
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:37 pm
  • I would love to see an Eta Carinae or Betelgeuse-luminosity nova in my lifetime. It would really change human consciousness for a while.
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:01 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information