Facebook goes above & beyond to farm personal data

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13

• And for security purposes, they want you to post your phone number there. Yarite. Only the foolish would do such. I did not.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• I read this earlier today, and just chuckled. Zuck isn't even trying to hide his evil nature anymore.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

• I removed my account from that horse shit.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• People who complain about this don't seem to believe that this was their basic business model from the beginning.

:229031_shrug:
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Aros wrote:I removed my account from that horse shit.

I never joined.

And I look damn smart now.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• sutz wrote:People who complain about this don't seem to believe that this was their basic business model from the beginning.

If you want to over-simplify it and just act like wanting basic personal data that is normal publicly available stuff is the same thing as wanting to know every detail and facet of your entire life, then sure.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    sutz wrote:People who complain about this don't seem to believe that this was their basic business model from the beginning.

If you want to over-simplify it and just act like wanting basic personal data that is normal publicly available stuff is the same thing as wanting to know every detail and facet of your entire life, then sure.

As I put Facebook on my phone, they asked for me to install a credit card. I said naw, no thanks just in case I wanted to purchase someting on facecrack. They ask all the time about putting a phone number there and then they get hacked or someone there gets your number and then calls ya or texts ya about this purchase or that one all the damn time. No thanks. With some takeovers of some email sites yahoo by the carrier, the advertisments are getting to be tiring. And the sites seem to be a lot slower too. I dunno.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Facebook and twitter are the devil, they are both proving me right.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Info farming is nothing new
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

• I find it disturbing that I go search for something and then on my facecrack page I get these advertisements for the same page I was looking at. I assume they are cookies and are just duplicating my search. Wait til I go search for some interesting stuff like........
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Seahawkfan80 wrote:I find it disturbing that I go search for something and then on my facecrack page I get these advertisements for the same page I was looking at. I assume they are cookies and are just duplicating my search. Wait til I go search for some interesting stuff like........

Wife and i were talking at the kitchen table about light fixtures.

Alexa told us she had added light fixtures to our shopping list.

Within hours, light fixture adds were on my Facebook page and i had emails in spam about buyinglight fixtures.

What a world we live in.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Uncle Si wrote:
    Seahawkfan80 wrote:I find it disturbing that I go search for something and then on my facecrack page I get these advertisements for the same page I was looking at. I assume they are cookies and are just duplicating my search. Wait til I go search for some interesting stuff like........

Wife and i were talking at the kitchen table about light fixtures.

Alexa told us she had added light fixtures to our shopping list.

Within hours, light fixture adds were on my Facebook page and i had emails in spam about buyinglight fixtures.

What a world we live in.

:lol:
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• I knew this years ago, and not for the reasons any of you are putting out there (though they're fine reasons).
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• It's not even surprising anymore. Although that above post with recorded conversations is about as creepy as it gets. I would NEVER have an Alexa or other dumb assed device like that in my home.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Largent80 wrote:It's not even surprising anymore. Although that above post with recorded conversations is about as creepy as it gets. I would NEVER have an Alexa or other dumb assed device like that in my home.

Do you have a smartphone in your home?
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• Seeing as how a significant amount of first round funding for both Facebook and Google came from the CIA, this news should surprise absolutely nobody. They are both gears in the machinations of the military-industrial complex.
    SmokinHawk
    NET Veteran

• Social media does nothing for me if the people I know and the people who want to know me aren't on there.

They're taking and using your information. Obviously. So only give them the information you're willing to let them use. It's not really all that complicated.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:51 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information