Best Westerns

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Best Westerns
Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:30 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:Not the Hotel chain.

Western themed movies is what we are talking bout.

Name your favorite, or make a list.

My top is “Tombstone”,and I think Unforgiven was excellent but I’m a big “YoungGuns” fan.

I think Wayne’s “The Cowboys “ has to be on any list like this.

I’ll leave the rest for y’all.

Wait, I’ve got to mention “Blazing Saddles” too, even though it’s a different type of western.
    Wait wait, not a movie per se but I can’t not mention “Lonesome Dove”

Ok, go.

Edit:
    If you saw my original post, my apologies, actually thought I was in the Shack.
    Oops

There are many Westerns I haven't seen but I like these a lot (and I'm in my 40s):

The Good, Bad, & the Ugly
    Outlaw Josey Wales
    Fist Full of Diamonds.

And an oldie classic: Rio Bravo w/ John Wayne and Dean Martin.
    Vesuve
    NET Starter

Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:10 pm
  • Destry Rides Again with Jimmy Stewart. Very underrated.

Madeleine Khan's Blazing Saddles performance was an homage to Marlene Dietrich's role as the saloon singer in Destry.

Also, High Noon, if only because Grace Kelly is the most beautiful woman that ever lived.
    Thunderhawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:16 pm
  • Red Dead Redemption
    Red Dead Redemption 2
    The Good, The Bad and the Ugly
    True Grit, both old and new versions

The first two might be shocking, but they are the best westerns ever, regardless of media type.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:50 pm
  • vin.couve12 wrote:Red Dead Redemption
    Red Dead Redemption 2

The first two might be shocking, but they are the best westerns ever, regardless of media type.

If they made RDR movies, who would you cast as John Marston and Arthur Morgan?
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:36 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    vin.couve12 wrote:Red Dead Redemption
    Red Dead Redemption 2

Wow, that's a good question. It's hard to find actors that can pull off that level of gruff depth, if that makes any sense. REALLY hard to pull off. Off the top of my head, Tom Hardy might be able to pull off Arthur Morgan, but his voice is all wrong. The one motorcycle dude on that zombie show MIGHT be able to do a John Marston. Seems like both might need 5 years of age hardship or something though?

Anybody else you can think of?
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:44 pm
  • vin.couve12 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    Red Dead Redemption 2

Wow, that's a good question. It's hard to find actors that can pull off that level of gruff depth, if that makes any sense. REALLY hard to pull off. Off the top of my head, Tom Hardy might be able to pull off Arthur Morgan, but his voice is all wrong. The one motorcycle dude on that zombie show MIGHT be able to do a John Marston. Seems like both might need 5 years of age hardship or something though?

I'd say Josh Brolin for John Marston, except that it might bring back nightmares about the Jonah Hex movie. Still, I feel he deserves a shot at redemption (no pun intended). Arthur Morgan is tougher. At first glance, you'd think Arthur is a tougher, grittier bastard than John Marston, but I actually found him to be much more sensitive and vulnerable than John, with a truer moral compass (if you play honorably, which I feel the game subtly pushes you towards). I feel Arthur longs to be a good man who is forced by circumstance to be the bad guy. Arthur is a stunningly complex character, and it's difficult to think of an actor who could nail all parts of him.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:20 am
  • vin.couve12 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    Red Dead Redemption 2

Anson Mount, he's already played a John Marston type character in Hell on Wheels.

btw, if you haven't seen Hell on Wheels, highly recommended binge worthy western that was on AMC. Really well done, and it's on Netflix now.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:33 am
  • Maulbert wrote:
    vin.couve12 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    Red Dead Redemption 2

I'd say Josh Brolin for John Marston, except that it might bring back nightmares about the Jonah Hex movie. Still, I feel he deserves a shot at redemption (no pun intended). Arthur Morgan is tougher. At first glance, you'd think Arthur is a tougher, grittier bastard than John Marston, but I actually found him to be much more sensitive and vulnerable than John, with a truer moral compass (if you play honorably, which I feel the game subtly pushes you towards). I feel Arthur longs to be a good man who is forced by circumstance to be the bad guy. Arthur is a stunningly complex character, and it's difficult to think of an actor who could nail all parts of him.

Funny, I feel like Brolin would be better as Arthur.

John would be super hard to cast, no one could even come close to that iconic voice so that's going to be a sacrifice no matter what. Honestly I think Ryan Gosling would be able to do it. After his performances in Drive and BR2049, dude can play a disconnected, slave to duty and obligation. Ugly him up with some scars and dye his hair black, bingo.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:25 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    vin.couve12 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    Red Dead Redemption 2

I think you're definitely right about the characters and that wouldn't be a bad choice. I'd worry that in going to see these in the theater, however, that no one would live up to it. I did not imaginein the slightest that I would like the new/old character anywhere near as much as Marston and holy shit was I wrong.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:34 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    vin.couve12 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    Red Dead Redemption 2

Anson Mount, he's already played a John Marston type character in Hell on Wheels.

btw, if you haven't seen Hell on Wheels, highly recommended binge worthy western that was on AMC. Really well done, and it's on Netflix now.

Not bad. The one thing that JG points out up there is the iconic voice though. You'd almost have to peg that, but again, I'm not sure I'd be content with almost anyone playimg the role.

The problem is that I'd like for non-gamers to share in these epic, epic stories. Last of Us would be another, but casting those two would be much easier (Jackman/page) and the rest of the world be in for a treat of an emotional and intense ride.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:10 pm
  • vin.couve12 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    vin.couve12 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:

Not bad. The one thing that JG points out up there is the iconic voice though. You'd almost have to peg that, but again, I'm not sure I'd be content with almost anyone playimg the role.

The problem is that I'd like for non-gamers to share in these epic, epic stories. Last of Us would be another, but casting those two would be much easier (Jackman/page) and the rest of the world be in for a treat of an emotional and intense ride.

Page is way too old for that role. Ellie is 14 in the game. Ellen Page is 31.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:25 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    vin.couve12 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    vin.couve12 wrote:

Page is way too old for that role. Ellie is 14 in the game. Ellen Page is 31.

Yeah, she's finally starting to show it too, but she did try to sue them for the likeness. lol
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

Previous

It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:37 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information