Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Broke my RC truck, and lost the footy

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Broke my RC truck, and lost the footy
Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:20 am
  • In the past few weeks I've finally got my 1:10 scale RC nitro monster truck up and running, after it languished in an unfinished state for over 10 years! I owe much thanks to fellow .Netter VB Hawk, who has given me a lot of much-needed expert advice. I still had to get some help from my local RC hobby shop (an excellent place), as I managed to stuff up the carburettor settings while breaking-in the engine.

Now it is (or was, until last Sunday) running brilliantly on "normal" 16% nitromethane-containing fuel. I've managed to do something bad to the front differential, but have not yet begun to dig into the model's guts to see what damage I've wrought.

A fairly major piece of 'surgery' for someone like me who is not very mechanically-minded, but I've realised the obvious now - if I'm going to run an RC model, I've simply got to learn all about taking it apart, diagnosing and fixing it. The differentials are not exactly easy to access and pull apart. I'm hoping something has just come "adrift" inside, but fear I've committed metallic murder to it. Whether such parts are at all "generic" or absolutely product-specific I don't yet know. The manufacturer, Thunder Tiger, is defunct, so I probably have to rapidly get Ebay-literate soon, as well!

Well, I must be positive, and look on all the learning as a GOOD thing...

OH, my local Australian Rules football team, who won the Premiership the past two years, got eliminated from the finals earlier last Sunday, so it wasn't a great day! Then of course we (Seahawks) also lost at Denver (Monday morning here), but I still agree rather more with the positives than the negatives on the main forum.

GO SEAHAWKS next week, and YAYYY - it will be on TV here, being MNF. Don't get two consecutive Seattle games telecast here very often.
    Last edited by Aussie Seahawk on Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• What leads you to believe the diff in your RC car is jacked up? I have a fair bit of experience working on 1/8th scale nitro and electric buggies, truggies, and short course trucks, so I might be able to steer you in the right direction.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    NET Veteran

• SmokinHawk wrote:What leads you to believe the diff in your RC car is jacked up? I have a fair bit of experience working on 1/8th scale nitro and electric buggies, truggies, and short course trucks, so I might be able to steer you in the right direction.

Thank you so much, and I like the steering pun! :D

All I know is that if I turn one front wheel by hand, the other front wheel no longer moves in the opposite direction. The rear wheels are still fine, in this way. The drive shafts from the central transmission to the front and rear diffs turn OK as well, but only the rear wheels turn when I try to run the truck. The drive shafts to the rear wheels still turn OK, but the driveshafts to the front wheels don't turn at all.

The front wheels feel extremely "free to turn" by hand (as though something is broken, or at least disconnected) and there is no 'communication" to the rear wheels when I turn the front wheels by hand, or vice-versa.

Faultily or not, this is my suspicion the front differential has a problem. Please feel utterly free to tell me I'm wrong, if so, and why!

Thank you again, fellow Seahawker!
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Hey Charles, just check the grub screws on the outputs that connect the middle gear to the front diff. If one of them has backed off it will do what your describing (and wheel nuts). I don't think it will be anything major.

Sorry I didn't get to your last message, I look after 13 junior cricket teams and the season is about to get going (lots of work).
    VB Hawk
    NET Rookie

• VB Hawk/Peter, no sorries EVER needed, please! I shall check out your suggestion tomorrow, before attempting any major dismantling to examine inside the front diff - what you say makes sense (of course), and Occam's Razor is so often correct. Will let you know when I've fixed whatever turns out to be wrong.

I hope your cricket teams do well and the kids have fun (people like you are such cornerstones of junior sport, which has never been more important); your hectic life is precisely why I posted here, instead of PMing you again! Thanks again so very much. I definitely want to buy you some VBs next time I'm in Melbourne. :D
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Aussie Seahawk wrote:I definitely want to buy you some VBs next time I'm in Melbourne. :D

"VBs" = Vegemite Burgers?
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Re: Broke my RC truck, and lost the footy
Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:05 am
  • GeekHawk wrote:
    Aussie Seahawk wrote:I definitely want to buy you some VBs next time I'm in Melbourne. :D

Probably and that stuff sucks, have you ever tried it?

Anyone that likes that stuff has to be from another place & time.

:{)
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• GeekHawk wrote:
    Aussie Seahawk wrote:I definitely want to buy you some VBs next time I'm in Melbourne. :D

Quoting PMedic too... VB is a beer called Victoria Bitter, brewed in Melbourne, Victoria. I just assume VB Hawk meant this, anyway! It's a very mainstream beer, brewed by Carlton & United Brewery.

I do not touch Vegemite, under any circumstances!
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Vegemite is the shizz.

And VB is the beer Boonie drinks.

attachment=0]images.jpeg[/attachment]http://seahawks.net/download/file.php?mode=view&id=7829&sid=81b7bee86463b31ab1cac85bbe8727fd
    Attachments
    images.jpeg
    images.jpeg (8.35 KiB) Viewed 159 times
    VB Hawk
    NET Rookie

• Good luck with your truck my fellow RC friend! The hobby (regardless of type of vehicle) has its highs and lows.

Not unlike being a 12! LOL

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Aussie Seahawk wrote:
    SmokinHawk wrote:What leads you to believe the diff in your RC car is jacked up? I have a fair bit of experience working on 1/8th scale nitro and electric buggies, truggies, and short course trucks, so I might be able to steer you in the right direction.

Thank you so much, and I like the steering pun! :D

All I know is that if I turn one front wheel by hand, the other front wheel no longer moves in the opposite direction. The rear wheels are still fine, in this way. The drive shafts from the central transmission to the front and rear diffs turn OK as well, but only the rear wheels turn when I try to run the truck. The drive shafts to the rear wheels still turn OK, but the driveshafts to the front wheels don't turn at all.

The front wheels feel extremely "free to turn" by hand (as though something is broken, or at least disconnected) and there is no 'communication" to the rear wheels when I turn the front wheels by hand, or vice-versa.

Faultily or not, this is my suspicion the front differential has a problem. Please feel utterly free to tell me I'm wrong, if so, and why!

Thank you again, fellow Seahawker!

When you turn one of the front wheels, does the other turn with it, or not at all?

Definitely sounds like either the diff snapped somehow, though they tend to be very durable, or the pinion snapped off of the drive shaft.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

SmokinHawk
    NET Veteran

• Aros wrote:Good luck with your truck my fellow RC friend! The hobby (regardless of type of vehicle) has its highs and lows.

Not unlike being a 12! LOL

That it does. A few years back I had an Associated RC8.2e that I'd built for 100mph+ speed passes. It hit the beveled concrete edge of a manhole and proceeded to do a 100mph uncontrolled cartwheel. The aluminum chassis, motor, battery, and ESC were pretty much the only things that survived.

SmokinHawk
    NET Veteran

• Thanks for the replies, Aros and SmokingHawk. I've got a few domestic jobbies to do, then later this arvo I'll get into the front diff of my RC truck. When I turn one front wheel, the other wheel does nothing. The drive shaft between the central transmission and the front diff turns fine, and the diff's outside coupling to the shaft also turns, so grub screw is still intact (which would have been far simpler, if not!)... thus, the thahu must be something inside the front diff.

I'll report back later. As my dear mum would have said, it will be educational for me!
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Re: Broke my RC truck, and lost the footy
Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:51 am
  • Well, my nitro RC truck has had the Royal Richard. It's a bit like the dead parrot in the Monty Python sketch. :x

I separated the front differential from the model, but before pulling the actual diff housing apart, I found that one grub screw had in fact come loose, connecting the drive shaft of one of the front wheels to the diff. So, I figured that was the only problem, put Loctite on it and refastened it, put it back together again, and started it up, but the front wheels still don't turn, so it was a coincidence the grub screw had ALSO come loose. PLUS the rear wheels were not turning smoothly - they were incredibly "juddery"/wobbly.

It seemed to me (wrongly, obviously) that the front diff was OK - everything "seemed" to turn as it should, when it was separated from all the other components. I then ALSO noticed washers were about to come off where the clutch bell is joined to the crankshaft; I'm not yet sure if it is one or two, as the remains are totally shredded. Without these "packing" washers, the clutch is loose against the crown wheel.

At this stage I gave up, and took the model to the local hobby shop, but they can't help me, because it is made by (defunct) Thunder Tiger, and they said there was no way they can get any parts. They did say I should still pull the front diff apart totally, in case something's simply adrift without actually being broken in there, which I'll do tomorrow. Then they pointed out the rear diff feels "wrong" too - which probably explains why the rear wheels are so wobbly now.

People must be thinking if I’m so ignorant about mechanics, why did I get an RC model in the first place? Well, I can’t answer that! I got seduced by the local Newsagent flogging the weekly parts which made up the model. For now, today, I’m fed up with it. I’ve locked it in the garage and I don’t want to see it until tomorrow!!! :?
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Well, I finally found the problem with my nitro RC truck - the front diff was fine; as VB Hawk suggested, there were actually TWO grub screws slightly loose (one fastening the front half shaft to the front diff, and also one fastening one of the front wheels to the diff... but to turn MANUALLY, there was enough grip that it SEEMED to be rotating OK. However, under engine power, they were too loose to spin the wheels, which is why I got suckered into thinking the front diff was broken.

So, I put it all back together after freshly Loctiting ALL the grub screws. Pulled clutch bell assembly off the crankshaft, found I'd only "lost" one washer (it had shredded almost totally), found a washer in my general collection of stuff which fitted, and put it all back together. Started truck up in back garden, and it ran perfectly. YAYYY!!! :D

Rear diff also fine - I think the rear wheels were behaving strangely perhaps because of the problems with the front... but all that matters is it's fixed!

Took it to a local carpark (where there is much more room), and the damned starter pull cord came out of its housing when I pulled it. :(

Sigh - pulled starter housing apart, and the (still neatly coiled-up!) metal spring has actually broken, right at the end, at the bent bit which fits into the starter spool (and the broken bit is still sitting in its slot). So I will either have to try to make a new bend in the end of the spring manually with pliers, if possible, so it fits again, and re-coil it, etc, which I've read is a very, very tricky process, with shredded fingers (and temper) likely! Think I'll call the hobby shop tomorrow to see if I can get a new pull starter which fits, if they are sufficiently "generic" (ie, not unique to my particular truck).

Lesson learned - pull with short pulls, not long ones! Clearly this is why I broke the spring and unknotted the pull rope.

Aros, as you said... go RC, and you have to learn as you go! So, I may TRY to fix it before seeing if I can just get a new pull starter, and of course I will probably one day simply need a new rope, and have to learn to re-assemble it anyway.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:18 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information