Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Kevin Spacey's new film grosses $126 on opening day

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Why......why are you bringing the law up again? That has nothing to do with what I'm saying.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

• fenderbender123 wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:
    fenderbender123 wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:Yes there is a difference in a teenager and an infant but in terms of “pedophile”, a child is a child period.

And science and the dictionary say that a normal teenager in high school going through puberty is NOT a child.

Well, if you ever get caught having sex with a 14 y/o, use that defense in court. Give your definition to the jury.

Let us all know how it works out for you.

Good Day Sir.

This is the dumbest post you have ever made.

Why?

Is it because it illiterates how silly you are being?

Possibly because you are finally realizing how absurd your opinion is?

I’d be willing to bet that you wouldn’t use that “science” in court.

I’d imagine you saying “he told me he was 18, I promise he did”
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• Why does that even matter????? Why are we suddenly talking about defenses we'd use in court?

I get it...you guys are just piling it on now since you know it rustles my jimmies. Ya got me.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

• fenderbender123 wrote:Why......why are you bringing the law up again? That has nothing to do with what I'm saying.

Because the law is a reflection of society and you seem to think that it's the other way around.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• fenderbender123 wrote:Why......why are you bringing the law up again? That has nothing to do with what I'm saying.

Actually, it does. Whether you want to admit this fact or not, it's the law that defines pedophilia as it's a crime. Therefore, the law will keep being brought up as your other opinions (not facts) are invalid.

But please keep trying, yet again, to rationalize your flawed semantics since this is the only way you know how to debate. Good day sir.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

• The law is more of a chicken and egg thing.

And regardless, if society isn't being detailed enough, then it's my duty to point it out. I'm an expert.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

• OkieHawk wrote:
    fenderbender123 wrote:Why......why are you bringing the law up again? That has nothing to do with what I'm saying.

Actually, it does. Whether you want to admit this fact or not, it's the law that defines pedophilia as it's a crime. Therefore, the law will keep being brought up as your other opinions (not facts) are invalid.

But please keep trying, yet again, to rationalize your flawed semantics since this is the only way you know how to debate. Good day sir.

Okay, and as I pointed out before, the law is wrong if it defines it as that (and really, I don't think it does anyway). Just like the law is wrong when it states that certain chemicals are harmful when science says they aren't. Shouldn't we make corrections? Why don't you believe in correcting errors? Because you disagree with science?
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

• It's amazing how easily I fend off your guys' arguments. That's why I call myself fender. Because I'm good at fending. I'm like an elite knight standing atop a hill with a sword slicing my foes down one by one as they try to surround me. What a man amongst boys. What a hero.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

• fenderbender123 wrote:
    Okay, and as I pointed out before, the law is wrong if it defines it as that (and really, I don't think it does anyway). Just like the law is wrong when it states that certain chemicals are harmful when science says they aren't. Shouldn't we make corrections? Why don't you believe in correcting errors? Because you disagree with science?

This is the last time I'm responding to you in this topic, so read very carefully.

Your assumption on what I do or don't believe in, or want corrected is completely off the rails, and you know this. If you believe so strongly in your convictions then try to change the laws as that is your only avenue.

As already stated by kid, laws are made by society. You've stated in the past you don't agree with the vast majority of laws, and yet do nothing about it, AFAIK. Unless you do something about it, either through actively campaigning for changes in the law or becoming a law maker yourself you're simply pissing up a rope because you want to.

Until then, please continue to bitch about how we are all wrong, and you are the only coherent person in this discussion. Something may finally click and you'll realize that you may in fact be the problem and it's not others, but I highly doubt you'll ever become that self aware.

Cheers.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

• This time I didn't even have to defend myself. He just threw his shoe at me and ran away.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

• fenderbender123 wrote: What a man amongst boys. .

Oh the irony :D
    "Practice without improvement is meaningless" - Chuck Knox
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

• I feel like this entire discussion we're arguing 2 different things. I don't even know what we're talking about anymore.

In fact, I just changed my mind on everything I wrote. I was wrong. You guys are all right. I change my opinion. You guys win. I was wrong. carry on.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

It was already explained pretty clearly, but you either missed it or chose not to acknowledge it.

kidhawk wrote:You stated we let the law dictate or thinking, when I explained to you that the law is based on societies defining right and wrong, not the law dictating what is right and wrong to society. You have it backwards.

We as a society see forcing yourself on a person as a crime. We see that when you do that to a minor it is even a worse crime. We see that the younger the minor the worse the crime is. This is pretty much what everyone here is saying. This is why many people have turned their backs on Keven Spacey. It's really as simple as that.

My intention here isn't to pile on, I just thought that was a good post that would help clarify for you why people keep bringing up the law and maybe also help you realize that society doesn't just blindly believe that something is bad, or wrong, because the law says it is, it's a law because society has determined that thing is bad or wrong and cannot be allowed.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• Like I said. You guys are all 100% right and I was 100% wrong. What was thinking? I wasn't. That's the problem. I'm stupid and wrong as always. Congratulations on your victory, fellas.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

• Todays society has some messed up stuff, not 200 years ago here a female who had her period was considered a women and able to be married off, yes it happened, traded, or used as a bartering chip. Farther back then that once they had a period they were considered viable to wed and begin having children, it's only recently in modern times they have become Children again. Remember more kids more hands on the farm, more workers in the fields, chance to have a surname passed down due to high birth fatalities of both child and mother. My Grand parents married very young there was a 15 year age different from my grand father and grand mother, one born in 1887 and one in 1902. The met on the Oregon trail, coming from Texas and Wisconsin I think, each Grandmother had 14 brothers and sisters and Grandfather 11 I think it was.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:Todays society has some messed up stuff, not 200 years ago here a female who had her period was considered a women and able to be married off, yes it happened, traded, or used as a bartering chip. Farther back then that once they had a period they were considered viable to wed and begin having children, it's only recently in modern times they have become Children again. Remember more kids more hands on the farm, more workers in the fields, chance to have a surname passed down due to high birth fatalities of both child and mother. My Grand parents married very young there was a 15 year age different from my grand father and grand mother, one born in 1887 and one in 1902. The met on the Oregon trail, coming from Texas and Wisconsin I think, each Grandmother had 14 brothers and sisters and Grandfather 11 I think it was.

I had a lady friend when I was 21 and she was 40.

That was fun. :drool:
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

• Kids younger than society's arbitrarily decided "age of consent" actually consent with each other all the time in early high-school and younger. This is where the law is a bit silly - would you consider that "mutual rape"? If a 15-year old consents with a 19-year old, is it rape? Legally, yes, but I bet some younger ones would call it "love", in spite of what the law says.

Puberty was the age in the "advanced" Roman world (12 for girls, 14 for boys) where they were legally allowed to marry, in order to have children as young as possible because of high infant mortality. Is this wrong? Always and in ever age?

Because if culture can decide some kind of "absolute" right and wrong, then fender is absolutely wrong. But if there is a moving target or sliding scale, then fender isn't wrong, maybe just a bit overstating his case.

I'd still like to see what kind of science backs up his claims. He's yet to show anything of that sort.

Spacey's problem was the force he's accused of. In my old-fashioned perspective, that's wrong. His "product" is himself in his films, and I won't support him as a model of anything virtuous by paying to see him pretend to be something else (called "acting").
    NET Veteran

• chris98251 wrote:This is a blacklisting, the guy is a great actor, this won't be the first or last, the social media campaign to smear people is going to continue regardless of warrant, I thought that was why we have a court system to judge and level punitive and punishment decisions.

Yes, let the court system deal with the Nassars the Cosbies and Sanduskies after they get over 50 victims or they hit a decade untouched and unquestioned. Don't want to be hasty on rumor and innuendo. Until then turn a blind eye and don't weigh yourself down with that baggage.

If your own son or daughter accused someone, say a close family member, would you just tell them they're on a witchhunt or smear campaign and tell 'em to drop it? Would you continue to invite the accused to family functions, include them on the Christmas letter, and even go see them perform in a stage play titled "I'm Not a Pedophile, I like Teenagers: The life and times of a blacklisted Hollywood A Lister"
    Last edited by mrt144 on Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

• Ad Hawk wrote:Kids younger than society's arbitrarily decided "age of consent" actually consent with each other all the time in early high-school and younger. This is where the law is a bit silly - would you consider that "mutual rape"? If a 15-year old consents with a 19-year old, is it rape? Legally, yes, but I bet some younger ones would call it "love", in spite of what the law says.

Puberty was the age in the "advanced" Roman world (12 for girls, 14 for boys) where they were legally allowed to marry, in order to have children as young as possible because of high infant mortality. Is this wrong? Always and in ever age?

Because if culture can decide some kind of "absolute" right and wrong, then fender is absolutely wrong. But if there is a moving target or sliding scale, then fender isn't wrong, maybe just a bit overstating his case.

I'd still like to see what kind of science backs up his claims. He's yet to show anything of that sort.

Spacey's problem was the force he's accused of. In my old-fashioned perspective, that's wrong. His "product" is himself in his films, and I won't support him as a model of anything virtuous by paying to see him pretend to be something else (called "acting").

Rome also had lead pipes so...
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

• And the U.S. used lead paint and asbestos.

Is that supposed to be a good point?
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

• fenderbender123 wrote:And the U.S. used lead paint and asbestos.

Is that supposed to be a good point?

Absolutely - the evolution of knowledge lets us throw bad ideas in the bad idea bin.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

• I don't disagree.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

• So, what is the "age of consent" for Kevin's "victims"?
    NET Veteran

• mrt144 wrote:
    Ad Hawk wrote:Kids younger than society's arbitrarily decided "age of consent" actually consent with each other all the time in early high-school and younger. This is where the law is a bit silly - would you consider that "mutual rape"? If a 15-year old consents with a 19-year old, is it rape? Legally, yes, but I bet some younger ones would call it "love", in spite of what the law says.

Rome also had lead pipes so...

Rome also had slaves and it was perfectly acceptable to what ever you wanted to your slaves.

I'm thinking maybe we shouldn't follow Romes example.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• No question, Rome had it's challenges. But what makes "18" or "16" the right age, always, and forever?

That's pretty arrogant of our supposedly more advanced culture to claim.
    NET Veteran

• mrt144 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:This is a blacklisting, the guy is a great actor, this won't be the first or last, the social media campaign to smear people is going to continue regardless of warrant, I thought that was why we have a court system to judge and level punitive and punishment decisions.

Yes, let the court system deal with the Nassars the Cosbies and Sanduskies after they get over 50 victims or they hit a decade untouched and unquestioned. Don't want to be hasty on rumor and innuendo. Until then turn a blind eye and don't weigh yourself down with that baggage.

If your own son or daughter accused someone, say a close family member, would you just tell them they're on a witchhunt or smear campaign and tell 'em to drop it? Would you continue to invite the accused to family functions, include them on the Christmas letter, and even go see them perform in a stage play titled "I'm Not a Pedophile, I like Teenagers: The life and times of a blacklisted Hollywood A Lister"

No when my daughter was raped we hunted him down and made sure he would never ever mess with someone, then turned him into the police and simply stated he hurt himself trying to run away jumping off a roof and onto a fence landing wrongly and getting caught in barbwire and some metal objects that were laying on the ground. The Cops completely understood how a accident could happen in the dark out in the country in a place he didn't know.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:
    mrt144 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:This is a blacklisting, the guy is a great actor, this won't be the first or last, the social media campaign to smear people is going to continue regardless of warrant, I thought that was why we have a court system to judge and level punitive and punishment decisions.

No when my daughter was raped we hunted him down and made sure he would never ever mess with someone, then turned him into the police and simply stated he hurt himself trying to run away jumping off a roof and onto a fence landing wrongly and getting caught in barbwire and some metal objects that were laying on the ground. The Cops completely understood how a accident could happen in the dark out in the country in a place he didn't know.

This is even more ludicrous - you went Bronson on someone who had been merely accused of rape by someone you know and now are asking everyone else to withhold judgment because...we don't personally know the victims? Or the accused? I'm baffled by your prescriptive words not matching your actions.

So in your world you did the right thing, top to bottom, but those who refuse to give their entertainment money to Spacey are in the wrong and rushing to judgment.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

• mrt144 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    mrt144 wrote:

This is even more ludicrous - you went Bronson on someone who had been merely accused of rape by someone you know and now are asking everyone else to withhold judgment because...we don't personally know the victims? Or the accused? I'm baffled by your prescriptive words not matching your actions.

So in your world you did the right thing, top to bottom, but those who refuse to give their entertainment money to Spacey are in the wrong and rushing to judgment.

I am going to beleive a 9 year old bleeding from places she should not be after her mom left her there with her freind as a babysitter and the boyfreind was alone with them, there were other girls there also.

Don't lecture my ass about justice you know nothing, tell me a father that would do less and in fact probably do more, at least he is alive which isn't what I really wanted. I need to be done with this before I get more pissed of at some wanna be politician telling me how I should act when someone assaults my family.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:
    mrt144 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    mrt144 wrote:

I am going to beleive a 9 year old bleeding from places she should not be after her mom left her there with her freind as a babysitter and the boyfreind was alone with them, there were other girls there also.

Don't lecture my ass about justice you know nothing, tell me a father that would do less and in fact probably do more, at least he is alive which isn't what I really wanted. I need to be done with this before I get more pissed of at some wanna be politician telling me how I should act when someone assaults my family.

Then don't lecture us bowing down to the law and deferring to the criminal justice system when you yourself met out your own justice before doing so. Law and Order for others, instant retribution for me is weak and you know it even if you felt some amount of catharsis from it. If you want an out card for being emotionally devastated and apoplectic fine, have your out card but don't withhold it from others especially for low grade punitive actions like refusing to see a movie starring a gross person.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

• So the point you are attempting to make with all of your blithering is that an adult who has sex with a toddler is worse than an adult who has sex with a 14 year old? Gee thanks for making that distinction for us. Any way you look at it BOTH are sick twisted people who are getting their jolly’s by preying on children.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

• ^ I agree 100%.

Just like how stealing $1 from your mom's purse is exactly the same as stealing $10,000 out of somebody's bank. A thief is a thief and we should treat them all exactly the same and label them for life.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

• Ad Hawk wrote: But what makes "18" or "16" the right age, always, and forever?

In America, it depends on the state you live in. Never forget, the age of consent in DC is 16. And that's where all the politicians are. Coincidence?
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

• If .Net got a penny for every post, it would probably have grossed more money from this thread than Spacey's movie made.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

• In almost every state it's perfectly legal for an adult of any age to have sex with a 16 year old, as long as drugs/alcohol aren't involved and as long as they aren't in a position of authority (teacher, employer, etc).

So if you're 35 and have sex with a 16 year old girl, that's just fine with me. You aren't a pedophile because you aren't breaking the law. I would never judge you.

But if you're 35 and have sex with a girl one day before her 16th birthday, you are a kid-diddling pedophile piece of shit scum of the earth human being trash that belongs in prison for the rest of your life. Just thinking about it just gets my blood boiling. That's a CHILD you're having sex with. A CHILD!!!! A little tiny baby child!!!! If you had just waited one more day she would have turned into an adult!!! Why couldn't you wait?
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

• fenderbender123 wrote:
    But if you're 35 and have sex with a girl one day before her 16th birthday, you are a kid-diddling pedophile piece of shit scum of the earth human being trash that belongs in prison for the rest of your life. Just thinking about it just gets my blood boiling. That's a CHILD you're having sex with. A CHILD!!!! A little tiny baby child!!!! If you had just waited one more day she would have turned into an adult!!! Why couldn't you wait?

fenderbender123 wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    fenderbender123 wrote:

BTW, he's not a pedophile. 14 is pretty young, and yes too young, but calling somebody a pedophile for that is HUGE exaggeration. Pedophiles are into actual children. You know, like 8 year old.

So today your opinion is If someone has sex with a CHILD one day before the age of 16 they are a Pedophile, but the other day someone who has sex with a 14 year old is not a Pedophile because it's "not that young"??

Interesting.

:sarcasm_off:
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

• Didn't you read my posts where I said you guys are right and I was wrong? I'm on your side now. I've seen the error of my beliefs.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

• mrt144 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    mrt144 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:

Then don't lecture us bowing down to the law and deferring to the criminal justice system when you yourself met out your own justice before doing so. Law and Order for others, instant retribution for me is weak and you know it even if you felt some amount of catharsis from it. If you want an out card for being emotionally devastated and apoplectic fine, have your out card but don't withhold it from others especially for low grade punitive actions like refusing to see a movie starring a gross person.

You are missing everything, Spacey may have done some bad things, but he is not the only one being punished by this, every other actor, producer and the studio that were involved in the movie is also suffering ramifications from this. My situation was one person suffering consequences and yes he was found guilty as well.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:
    mrt144 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    mrt144 wrote:

You are missing everything, Spacey may have done some bad things, but he is not the only one being punished by this, every other actor, producer and the studio that were involved in the movie is also suffering ramifications from this. My situation was one person suffering consequences and yes he was found guilty as well.

Lie with dogs, get fleas. If the distinction is that us, the movie goer lacking first hand evidence and not able to complete an Agatha Christie impromptu deduction on the spot, must compel ourselves to see movies starring people with a shady aura surrounding them, because of all the other people involved in the project...

I'm still not getting it. Like, that's cool that you can separate the output of someone from their character as a person, especially when it involves really heinous shit but given the plethora of options available why must we compel ourselves to be on your level with that? Like I'm not gonna cue up episodes of The Cosby Show or Seventh Heaven and tell other folks to do the same because all the other actors are being deprived of residuals.

I mean I get that collective punishment is one of the crappiest things in life but that's impossible to get away from in hugely collaborative efforts that are shots in the dark to begin with. Tack on the non vitality and ephemeral nature of entertainment in the specific and I'm still not buying that there is some sort of obligation that viewers should let the justice system dictate the flow of disposable income on specific projects.

The way I'm reading you, it seems like audiences would even be in the wrong for not picking up films involving people that haven't done anything illegal but are abhorrent in way or another. Or even to some extent that the Montgomery Bus Boycott was wrong because it could have screwed with the entire apparatus of the bus operation from drivers to mechanics and their paycheck. I mean, I can see that line of reasoning to some extent but then you're running into the issue of browbeating people into ignoring bad or wrong things because to confront them would be too disruptive to too many people in your estimation. And my belief is that in dangling the livelihoods of many over the edge and saying "ignore this or else..." you enable people like Harvey Weinstein to have carte blanche for decades on abusive and abhorrent behavior.

"If you go public with this you could get the studio shuttered, deprive everyone else of a paycheck and you'd never work in this town again, so it's your choice" seems like self perpetuating system for immorality.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

• mrt144 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    mrt144 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:

Lie with dogs, get fleas. If the distinction is that us, the movie goer lacking first hand evidence and not able to complete an Agatha Christie impromptu deduction on the spot, must compel ourselves to see movies starring people with a shady aura surrounding them, because of all the other people involved in the project...

I'm still not getting it. Like, that's cool that you can separate the output of someone from their character as a person, especially when it involves really heinous shit but given the plethora of options available why must we compel ourselves to be on your level with that? Like I'm not gonna cue up episodes of The Cosby Show or Seventh Heaven and tell other folks to do the same because all the other actors are being deprived of residuals.

I mean I get that collective punishment is one of the crappiest things in life but that's impossible to get away from in hugely collaborative efforts that are shots in the dark to begin with. Tack on the non vitality and ephemeral nature of entertainment in the specific and I'm still not buying that there is some sort of obligation that viewers should let the justice system dictate the flow of disposable income on specific projects.

The way I'm reading you, it seems like audiences would even be in the wrong for not picking up films involving people that haven't done anything illegal but are abhorrent in way or another. Or even to some extent that the Montgomery Bus Boycott was wrong because it could have screwed with the entire apparatus of the bus operation from drivers to mechanics and their paycheck. I mean, I can see that line of reasoning to some extent but then you're running into the issue of browbeating people into ignoring bad or wrong things because to confront them would be too disruptive to too many people in your estimation. And my belief is that in dangling the livelihoods of many over the edge and saying "ignore this or else..." you enable people like Harvey Weinstein to have carte blanche for decades on abusive and abhorrent behavior.

"If you go public with this you could get the studio shuttered, deprive everyone else of a paycheck and you'd never work in this town again, so it's your choice" seems like self perpetuating system for immorality.

I look at it is we are convicting people via social media, some guilty, some not, people are using public opinion to discredit and defame people they are pissed off at and that have done things, if that is our new justice system then those people that wrongfully accuse should be punished more severely and held accountable. It really is the social media platform be it face book or News sensationalism before a chance has been made to do a fact search and ferret out collaboration. Guy's like Weinstein or the POTUS get away with stuff because they have a boat ton of money and abuse their power, People in Power at any level who have the level of influence such as a Studio Executive or a Politician or CEO, Monarch you name it have been abusing common people as far back as humans have lived pretty much. Not any different the physical Bullying, just a different tactic.

When people say oh well nothing we can do it is what it is we have to live with it I worry that we have lost any backbone as a people and a country.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• :snack:
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• RolandDeschain wrote::snack:

This is where i want to be.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

• Lordy folks I never intended for my thread to take this turn... :snack:

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Previous

It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:29 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information