Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Any Runners Here?

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Any Runners Here?
Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:40 am
  • I've been running off and on for years. Nobody will ever mistake me for looking like a runner but when I match my nutrition with my running I definitely trim down. I hike and run trails at least 5 days a week. Usually 3-4 miles, sometimes 5. I ran a 5.5K race on Saturday with my daughter. Our first race together. It was fun but I struggled. (I placed 22 out of 44...Not bad but I know I could do much better).

I turn the big Five OHHH! this year. I cannot believe how hard it is to drop weight. Just 10 years ago as long as I was running daily, I could eat and drink pretty much whatever I wanted and still stay fairly trim. Now? Forget about it. So I have re-committed myself to better nutrition to at least visibly appreciate and match my exercise levels.

So I've cut out starchy carbs and lowering my sugar amounts as much as possible. Lean meats, dark green veggies, good fruits, nuts, fish, etc...My goal is to drop 30 pounds by the end of Summer. But more importantly my goal is to stay the course indefinitely.

Close friends of mine are big time runners. My buddy ran a 50K (50K!!!) just the other weekend like it was no big whoop. That's inhuman to me. While I doubt I will ever want to run a marathon, a half marathon is definitely doable. So I was wondering who here is a runner and if you have any specific tips for me (besides dropping Ibs) to improve my pace? I used to run 7 minute miles about 10 years ago. Now I am around 11. I want to get back down to sub 10's. Maybe 8 or 9 minute miles. Any comments (constructive, ha) are appreciated!

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Re: Any Runners Here?
Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:52 pm
  • Good luck, man. Losing weight's a bitch. I've never been a runner; not good on the knees long-term, which is part of why I chose cycling - along with the ability to cover massively more ground. (Exploring is part of the enjoyment of cycling, for me.)

Mind over matter. You can do it.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:33 pm
  • The only running I've ever enjoyed was trail running, probably because it makes you focus on each step and you end up on the balls of your feet much more often. Limits the impact on the joints/back and personally lets me concentrate on something other than how much I hate running. Soccer was my main sport through my teenage years and into college, so while I ran more than pretty much anybody I knew, I always hated the running we had to do for conditioning. Necessary evil though.

The hardest part about getting back into pretty much any physical activity for myself is just getting back into the initial condition and routine. I feel like it goes a lot smoother after that.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:28 pm
  • Aros wrote:I've been running off and on for years. Nobody will ever mistake me for looking like a runner but when I match my nutrition with my running I definitely trim down. I hike and run trails at least 5 days a week. Usually 3-4 miles, sometimes 5. I ran a 5.5K race on Saturday with my daughter. Our first race together. It was fun but I struggled. (I placed 22 out of 44...Not bad but I know I could do much better).

I turn the big Five OHHH! this year. I cannot believe how hard it is to drop weight. Just 10 years ago as long as I was running daily, I could eat and drink pretty much whatever I wanted and still stay fairly trim. Now? Forget about it. So I have re-committed myself to better nutrition to at least visibly appreciate and match my exercise levels.

So I've cut out starchy carbs and lowering my sugar amounts as much as possible. Lean meats, dark green veggies, good fruits, nuts, fish, etc...My goal is to drop 30 pounds by the end of Summer. But more importantly my goal is to stay the course indefinitely.

Close friends of mine are big time runners. My buddy ran a 50K (50K!!!) just the other weekend like it was no big whoop. That's inhuman to me. While I doubt I will ever want to run a marathon, a half marathon is definitely doable. So I was wondering who here is a runner and if you have any specific tips for me (besides dropping Ibs) to improve my pace? I used to run 7 minute miles about 10 years ago. Now I am around 11. I want to get back down to sub 10's. Maybe 8 or 9 minute miles. Any comments (constructive, ha) are appreciated!

Time and structured work. There's a lot that goes into it. Hit me up on a PM if you're interested, we have a pretty solid facebook group that helps runners shamelessly improve.
    2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:22 pm
  • Hitting ya up. Thanks fellas.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:39 am
  • I do a ton of hiking. But also a lot of fast walks mixed w/some jogging. I started out at 263 and got down to 183, and have kept it around 195 for the last 4 plus years. Keep moving, cut back on carbs, no late night eating etc. and you'll drop it with the quickness. A lot of water too obviously. Also, when you start, chip away at increasing the distances, speeds, elevation (if you hike) and you'll build up the right way. It's easy to push too hard too early. I turned 50 in March and am in the best shape of my life by far. I wouldn't have believed it back in 2011 when I was a big boy. But, 27 half marathons, 1200 plus miles a year and a bunch of hiking later, I've been able to keep it off. It isn't hard w/the eating, but if I DO cheat and tear up some Carbs, I try to do it early morning. It really does make a difference, and your metabolism can change. I would have never thought so at my age.
    But my parents both had strokes w/in 6 months and that was my reality check. Good luck and keep it rollin!
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:23 am
  • Running is sprinting. What y'all are talking about is jogging. I'm not into jogging. I like sprinting. Sprinting is the ultimate and most rewarding test of our bodies. And sadly only maybe like 1% of the population sprints regularly.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:37 am
  • All a matter of opinion. Hiking is a huge reward, and you work your ass off, a lot more than a sprint imo. To each his/her own, whatever gets you out exercising is all good. :irishdrinkers:
    When I sprint, my hammies start hurting, vs. a slow jog.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:12 pm
  • fenderbender123 wrote:Running is sprinting. What y'all are talking about is jogging. I'm not into jogging. I like sprinting. Sprinting is the ultimate and most rewarding test of our bodies. And sadly only maybe like 1% of the population sprints regularly.

This is dead-on balls accurate.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:45 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    fenderbender123 wrote:Running is sprinting. What y'all are talking about is jogging. I'm not into jogging. I like sprinting. Sprinting is the ultimate and most rewarding test of our bodies. And sadly only maybe like 1% of the population sprints regularly.

This is dead-on balls accurate.

Fake news.
    2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:58 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information