Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Bad movies that everybody hates that you love.

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • As the title says. What bad movies do you love that are almost universally hated? I love Hudson Hawk, and I don't give a crap that people hate it. On top of being a live action cartoon and featuring some classic songs, I love Richard Grant's completely over the top performance as Darwin Mayflower.

Anyone else got some love for utter crap?
    RIP Paul Allen, 1953-2018

The greatest owner in Seattle sports history.

189-152-1
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• I've never seen Hudson Hawk. Are you telling me I should watch it??
    Image Always been a Seahawks fan
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• Zebulon Dak wrote:I've never seen Hudson Hawk. Are you telling me I should watch it??

It's completely ridiculous, Bruce Willis sings, and has 26% on Rotten Tomatoes.

It is glorious.

189-152-1
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Maulbert wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:I've never seen Hudson Hawk. Are you telling me I should watch it??

It's completely ridiculous, Bruce Willis sings, and has 26% on Rotten Tomatoes.

It is glorious.

Fair enough. Maybe I'll give it a go.
    Image Always been a Seahawks fan
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• Maulbert wrote:...Hudson Hawk...

When I saw the thread title, I clicked it to post this exact movie.
    LargentFan
    NET Veteran

• How can anyone hate Hudson Hawk?!

My pick, The Tooth Fairy with The Rock.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

• All The Right Moves. I honestly don't know how anyone else feels about it, but it is simultaneously the worst movie and best movie I've ever seen.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

• Kung Fu Hustle is one of my all time favorites, but I've yet to find anyone else that likes it, even fewer who have even seen it.
    City Of Reign
    NET Starter

• City Of Reign wrote:Kung Fu Hustle is one of my all time favorites, but I've yet to find anyone else that likes it, even fewer who have even seen it.

Kung Fu Hustle was a good flick.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

• As an adult, it's hard for me to like a terrible movie.

But I have a ton of nostalgic 80's movies that I still love and will watch every single minute if I see it on TV. I'll think of some more, but off the top of my head;

Killer Klowns From Outer Space
    Bloodsport
    Road House
    Youngblood
    Weekend at Bernies
    Big Trouble In Little China
    Beastmaster
    Cobra
    Running Man
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Oh my God it's so easy for me:

Armageddon.

I freakin' LOVE that movie and was honestly shocked when I saw that it got a 1 star rating. 1 star!!

No it was never Oscar-worthy...It was a good popcorn flick and I went into it that way and really enjoyed it. Oh, and Liv Tyler is HOT in it!

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Sgt. Largent wrote:As an adult, it's hard for me to like a terrible movie.

But I have a ton of nostalgic 80's movies that I still love and will watch every single minute if I see it on TV. I'll think of some more, but off the top of my head;

Bloodsport
    Road House
    Youngblood
    Weekend at Bernies
    Beastmaster
    Cobra
    Running Man

Besides Killer Klowns, most of those are loved by a lot of people. I wouldn't ever say that Big Trouble is a terrible movie...
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

• OkieHawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:As an adult, it's hard for me to like a terrible movie.

Bloodsport
    Road House
    Youngblood
    Weekend at Bernies
    Beastmaster
    Cobra
    Running Man

Besides Killer Klowns, most of those are loved by a lot of people. I wouldn't ever say that Big Trouble is a terrible movie...

What's facinating about Big Trouble in Little China is that for years it was considered a dumb 80's action movie until Carpenter and Russell pointed out that they always intended it as a satire, and that Wang is the actual hero and Jack is his sidekick, not vice versa. The movie really takes on a whole new dimension when viewed that way, and is now considered one of the better films in it's genre, especially for it's time. Hell, it has 82% on Rotten Tomatoes. BTW, yes, I love it.

189-152-1
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• The Phantom Menace

It's my favorite of the prequels by far, mostly thanks to no Hayden Christensen
    Do you like curry? - Gareth Keenan
    DYLcurry59
    NET Veteran

• OkieHawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:As an adult, it's hard for me to like a terrible movie.

Bloodsport
    Road House
    Youngblood
    Weekend at Bernies
    Beastmaster
    Cobra
    Running Man

Look up the scores on Rotten Tomatoes, not kind.

My guess is most of us are in the same age range, 40-60, so yes I betcha most of the movies I listed we all love.........but they aren't good movies, and are not only hated by critics, any young person watching these movies would not like them.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Look up the scores on Rotten Tomatoes, not kind.

My guess is most of us are in the same age range, 40-60, so yes I betcha most of the movies I listed we all love.........but they aren't good movies, and are not only hated by critics, any young person watching these movies would not like them.

Critic or audience scores? If it's low critic scores, then I don't count those. It's the audience scores that would be an indicator of the movie being truly hated.

Here is the score for Big Trouble...

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/big_tr ... ttle_china
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

• This is Spinal Tap

Rocky Horror Picture Show (original) Lots of people loved this but few would admit it.

Godzilla Movies yes they are corny and have some guys in suits, but he's been selling tickets for 50 plus years.

Oh and "Fast Times at Ridgemont High"

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:This is Spinal Tap

Rocky Horror Picture Show (original) Lots of people loved this but few would admit it.

Godzilla Movies yes they are corny and have some guys in suits, but he's been selling tickets for 50 plus years.

Oh and "Fast Times at Ridgemont High"

Dude.... This is Spinal Tap is MASSIVELY popular. 95% critic/92% audience with an aggregate 8.6 out of 10 on Rotten Tomatoes. It created the mockumentary sub-genre. It does not qualify for this. Also, Fast Times at Ridgemont High is pretty popular, too.

189-152-1
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Many were but not considered great movies but cult favorites or teen movies. The title said bad movies, not popular movies.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• I always watch Battleship if I flip through a channel it's on.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• chris98251 wrote:Many were but not considered great movies but cult favorites or teen movies. The title said bad movies, not popular movies.

It said bad movies everybody hates. I've never met anyone who hates This is Spinal Tap.

189-152-1
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• "Zabriskie Point" (1970) - a flop of a Michelangelo Antonioni film. Pink Floyd did some of the soundtrack, which of course I also have. But even the huge majority of Floyd fans don't like it! Yet... just looked up Rotten Tomatoes (for the first time ever) and it scored quite well there.

I went to Death Valley, where Zabriskie Point actually is, with my friend i stayed with in Vegas. It was utterly incredible, as was all of Death Valley. I bought a panoramic photo at the gift shop at Furnace Creek, where the guy in the shop promptly lambasted the film, saying to me "You came here because of that stupid f*&^%&^% hippy piece of crap!?"

Well, yes, but I came here to see the rest of Death Valley, too! At Badwater (282 feet below sea level), then an hour or so after up at Dante's View, about 6,000 feet directly upwards, from where you can see the entire valley, incredibly "shortened" in view in the ultra-dry air.

Aros, I loved "Armageddon" too... pure and simple ENTERTAINMENT!
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• I like some real cheesy Horror movies that many people hate, and I love how much they hate them......
    Wrong Turn
    Pumpkinhead
    Jeepers Creepers etc.
    Motel Hell
    Children of the Corn
    They Live
    Urban Legend
    Trick or Treat
    Leprechaun
    Black Christmas
    Prom Night
    Happy Birthday to Me
    Fright Night etc.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Showgirls
    Coyote Ugly
    Cocktail
    Any movie that has a "Dance Off" or "Battle of the Bands" at the end.

These movies are ridiculous, but every time they are on I find myself watching them with a smile. These movies are similar to "Roadhouse" in that they all take relatively ordinary jobs or hobbies (bar tending, dancing, stripper, bouncer, college band drummer) and portray them as a deadly serious, overly glamorous, existing in a cutthroat and dangerous world you never knew existed.

The main character is always cheesy as hell; torn between their love interest and their competitive desire to the the best ever... bartender, dancer, stripper, bouncer, drummer... etc.

In short, the over the top acting and plot take themselves way too seriously...but that what makes them fun and entertaining I suppose.
    SHOCKER315
    NET Veteran

• Roadhouse rocks, I'll watch that any time it's on. But I also like Joe Dirt, Deuce Bigalow, Anchorman, 40 year old Virgin etc. And movies that are stupid on purpose like Scary Movie/Airplain/Naked Gun etc. A lot of people hate those movies. Because they don't like fun :2thumbs:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Grandma's Boy
    Better off Dead
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Uncle Si wrote:Grandma's Boy
    Better off Dead

Better off dead was by no means a bad movie. For me, it was only slightly overshadowed by One Crazy Summer.

Grandma's boy was pretty meh though.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

• Where's my 2 dollars???? 2 Dollars!
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:As an adult, it's hard for me to like a terrible movie.

Bloodsport
    Road House
    Youngblood
    Weekend at Bernies
    Beastmaster
    Cobra
    Running Man

Killer Klowns from Outer Space is kind of good even though it is so bad. It's kind of funny and creepy even though it is so stupid and weird at the same time. It's just a combination of a lot of stuff. But I can sort of see the appeal. I feel the same way about it. That's a very mixed bag movie.
    SanDiego49er
    NET Rookie

• Bump. I don't think this thread was ready to die when SanDiego49er buried it.

189-152-1
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Every Elvis movie.

Honorable mention: So I Married an Axe Murderer. 55% on RT? 6.4 IMDB rating? I don't get it. This movie is a masterpiece on par with Citizen Kane. Funny, original, weird and, occasionally, scary. Mike Myers best by far.
    "It was so loud Derrick Coleman heard it."
    Thunderhawk
    NET Veteran

• Aros wrote:Oh my God it's so easy for me:

Armageddon.

I didn't think that was even considered a bad movie? I love that film. Michael Bay started off with a bang by making Armageddon and The Rock, then just went entirely downhill with the exception of the first Transformers film.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    Aros wrote:Oh my God it's so easy for me:

Armageddon.

I didn't think that was even considered a bad movie? I love that film. Michael Bay started off with a bang by making Armageddon and The Rock, then just went entirely downhill with the exception of the first Transformers film.

Uh, Armageddon is absolutely a bad movie. It's a classic Michael Bay shitpile. Bloated (151 minutes), tons of explosions, and full of mindboggling leaps in logic (please tell me how it's easier to crash course a bunch of oil drillers who likely didn't have an education past high school to be astronauts vs. crash coursing a bunch of astronauts who had massive amounts of expensive training to be oil drillers).

189-152-1
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Maulbert wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:

Armageddon.

Uh, Armageddon is absolutely a bad movie. It's a classic Michael Bay shitpile. Bloated (151 minutes), tons of explosions, and full of mindboggling leaps in logic (please tell me how it's easier to crash course a bunch of oil drillers who likely didn't have an education past high school to be astronauts vs. crash coursing a bunch of astronauts who had massive amounts of expensive training to be oil drillers).

Maybe you would be better off watching the History Channel, Super Heros, Syfy, Non Fiction tend to have leaps in them. Besides these guys had to learn how to work in 0 gravity, not fly the aircraft or solve any real navigation issues. I think it was like a few weeks. That might be feasable, the work they did had them in pretty good physical condition. When you deal with a fantasy syfy situation you have to give it a little room, I mean transporters thats not real either, yet but it was used in the 60's in Star Trek and I liked those movies.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:

Armageddon.

Maybe you would be better off watching the History Channel, Super Heros, Syfy, Non Fiction tend to have leaps in them. Besides these guys had to learn how to work in 0 gravity, not fly the aircraft or solve any real navigation issues. I think it was like a few weeks. That might be feasable, the work they did had them in pretty good physical condition. When you deal with a fantasy syfy situation you have to give it a little room, I mean transporters thats not real either, yet but it was used in the 60's in Star Trek and I liked those movies.

Someone is touchy. It's a stupid movie that has 39% on Rotten Tomatoes and 42 on Metacritic.

189-152-1
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• I don't let someone looking for flaws dictate whether I will enjoy a movie, if your looking for them chances are you find them.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Cabin Boy with Chris Eliott and Waterboy, Adam Sandler. Although the latter movie I just had a root canal procedure and was heavily medicated; the 'buying popcorn' scene prior to the movie's start was also amusing.
    Palmegranite
    NET Starter

• Palmegranite wrote:Cabin Boy with Chris Eliott and Waterboy, Adam Sandler. Although the latter movie I just had a root canal procedure and was heavily medicated; the 'buying popcorn' scene prior to the movie's start was also amusing.

I watched Predator 2 the night I got home after having a vasectomy (stone-cold sober through the op, just a local), and as the dreadful movie sunk floorwards, so did... well, it felt like it, anyway!
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• RolandDeschain wrote:

Armageddon.

Yea, I just don't think Armageddon is a bad movie. Cheesy? Hell yes. Melodramatic? Hell yes. Over the top? Absolutely.

But it's entertaining. If it's on the TV in a hotel room I'm staying at and I've got nothing else to do, I'll sit there and watch it for the 3rd or 4th time.

I feel the same way about early Emmerich disaster films like Independence Day and The Day After Tomorrow.... total fluffy popcorn fare, but absolutely entertaining at the same time.

Now, as far as my favorite "bad movies"

Showgirls.

That movie is totally terrible. Maybe one of the worst movies ever made... but Paul Verhoeven has a way with trash that sits just right with me... There was a movie from way back in the 1980's with Rutger Hauer and Jennifer Jason Leigh, called Flesh and Blood, that I feel much the same way about.

Man, nobody makes tasty trash like that anymore -- I miss it!
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

• The_Z_Man wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:

Armageddon.

Yea, I just don't think Armageddon is a bad movie. Cheesy? Hell yes. Melodramatic? Hell yes. Over the top? Absolutely.

But it's entertaining. If it's on the TV in a hotel room I'm staying at and I've got nothing else to do, I'll sit there and watch it for the 3rd or 4th time.

I feel the same way about early Emmerich disaster films like Independence Day and The Day After Tomorrow.... total fluffy popcorn fare, but absolutely entertaining at the same time.

Now, as far as my favorite "bad movies"

Showgirls.

That movie is totally f*** terrible. Maybe one of the worst movies ever made... but Paul Verhoeven has a way with trash that sits just right with me... There was a movie from way back in the 1980's with Rutger Hauer and Jennifer Jason Leigh, called Flesh and Blood, that I feel much the same way about.

Man, nobody makes tasty trash like that anymore -- I miss it!

Armageddon is a bad movie. You can like it, but that doesn't make it not bad. I think you're mixing up bad and trashy. Both Armageddon and Showgirls are bad, but Showgirls is trashy, while Armageddon isn't.

189-152-1
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• black rain
    innerspace
    krull
    the golden child
    Bevell's Bubble Busted
    bevellisthedevil
    NET Veteran

• Suburban Commando. I will not apologize

“You’re a dead man, Ramsey!”
    Hawk Finn
    NET Veteran

• Maulbert wrote:
    Armageddon is a bad movie. You can like it, but that doesn't make it not bad. I think you're mixing up bad and trashy. Both Armageddon and Showgirls are bad, but Showgirls is trashy, while Armageddon isn't.

Wrong.

Showgirls is a BAD movie... and trashy.

Armageddon is a mediocre movie that was a much bigger hit than it should have been.

People only say it's bad because it sold a bazillion tickets, entered into pop culture as a major success, had the hell hyped out of it, and then a few years later people realized, you know, this movie just isn't that great.

It's the Nickleback of movies...

It's only "bad" subjectively when you compared it to the huge success it had.

But it's not bad objectively. The lighting is spot on, the acting is journeyman pro - Liv Tyler, Afflec, Willis, Bucsemi, et. 50 years from now somebody is going to rent that movie based on the star power alone - and they'll compare it to say, Flight of the Phoenix from 1965 - a movie with Jimmy Steward, George Kennedy, Richard Attenborough, and Ernest Borgnine - that was a pretty big hit in it's day, and was memorable, but wasn't really a great movie when you re-watch it

Armageddon is sort of the same deal... the sound design is excellent, effects top notch for it's time, the story engaging and entertaining, but flimsy as hell and totally unrealistic. It's a semi-competent movie that hit the right spot at the right time.

It's not a "bad" movie.

Bad movies are Showgirls, plan 9 from outerspace, Gigli, et.
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

• "Bad Boys" with Sean Penn and Esi Morales..
    Sean Penn is so hard core in this old flick..
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• IndyHawk wrote:"Bad Boys" with Sean Penn and Esi Morales..
    Sean Penn is so hard core in this old flick..

Bad Boys is definitely a B grade, low budget movie, but I don't think of it as being a bad movie.

Maybe I don't understand what the original poster meant, but I interpreted it as being entertained by movies that are just absolutely terrible. You know, like how people used to do screenings of "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" and just laugh at how bad it was.

When I think of Bad movies... this is what comes to mind:

Showgirls
    Baby Geniuses
    Look Who's Talking 2/3, et.
    Gigli
    Catwoman
    Battlefield Earth
    Glitter
    Super Mario Brothers
    Baby Geniuses
    Batman and Robin
    Ishtar
    Plan 9 from Outer Space
    Highlander 2
    The Room
    Howard the Duck
    The Wicker Man (the Nick Cage remake)
    Event Horizon

I mean, movies that are just freaking terrible... but are watchable because of the spectacle of their badness.

On this list, for example -- I can totally watch The Room or Howard the Duck, or Showgirls, and just laugh and laugh and be endlessly entertained by how horrible the movie is. That part in the Wicker Man remake, where Nicholas Cage screams "NOT THE BEES< NOT THE BEES!"

(it's in one of these clips : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pe4GzksYI8)

It's supposed to be really serious and scary, like the original - creepy AF, but this remake is so poorly made, such a bad movie, that it becomes high comedy. I laughed so hard at that part I become physically ill and barfed up my milk duds...
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

• The_Z_Man wrote:Yea, I just don't think Armageddon is a bad movie. Cheesy? Hell yes. Melodramatic? Hell yes. Over the top? Absolutely.!

Both Bruckheimer and Bay have a cheese factor that can't be denied, they also both make movies that don't really stand the test of time. In Bay's case, doesn't stand any test of time.

Armageddon, like Top Gun, Con Air or The Rock is one of these movies. Great action movie for it's time, but hasn't aged well.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• No movies age well anymore since they crank them out like a Rat with babies these days, unless your a franchise like Marvel or Disney's Pirates people have the next big thing thrown in their face every two months. Star Wars is the same thing, has it aged well or is everyone more interested in the CGI. There has not been anything really ground breaking in a long time.

Better shows are on Cable these days in a lot of ways.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:No movies age well anymore since they crank them out like a Rat with babies these days, unless your a franchise like Marvel or Disney's Pirates people have the next big thing thrown in their face every two months. Star Wars is the same thing, has it aged well or is everyone more interested in the CGI. There has not been anything really ground breaking in a long time.

Yea because you can really develop character arcs. Cable is like a novel, and movies are like short stories...

But nobody really makes great short stories anymore... it's like the art of making great films has vanished.
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

• chris98251 wrote:No movies age well anymore since they crank them out like a Rat with babies these days, unless your a franchise like Marvel or Disney's Pirates people have the next big thing thrown in their face every two months. Star Wars is the same thing, has it aged well or is everyone more interested in the CGI. There has not been anything really ground breaking in a long time.

Lots of movies age well, that's one of the signs of a great movie.

I just watched Alien for the first time in over a decade, and was shocked at how well it's aged.........and that was 1979. Gritty, suspenseful and masterfully paced.

Look at stuff like Black Mirror on Netflix, that will also age well because it's written and shot with that same futuristic gritty dirty vision of what the future looks like, and not just a bunch of green screen CGI puked up all over the place like you're talking about.

Mad Max Fury Road, Bladerunner 2049, just a couple off the top of my head. Those will age well.

btw, it's the cheesy dialogue and outdated macho scripts that make movies like Armageddon not age well, not the special effects.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Next

It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:17 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information