Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Sciency stuff...May guide to the bright planets...

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • With the weather starting to break, there may be some chances to look up and actually see something. ;)

May guide to the bright planets

Mars and Saturn rise into the southeast sky quite late at night throughout May (especially as viewed from the Northern Hemisphere). Your best view of them is in the predawn hours, when these planets appear much higher up in the sky. You can tell Mars from Saturn because Mars has a reddish color. Saturn looks golden. Binoculars show their colors better than the eye alone.

Mars and Saturn shine in front of Sagittarius, the constellation marking the direction to our galaxy’s center. Use the moon to locate Mars and Saturn on the mornings of May 4, 5 and 6. As the month progresses, Mars travels farther and farther east of Saturn on the sky’s dome, to move out of the constellation Sagittarius and into the constellation Capricornus by mid-May 2018. Saturn, in the meantime, stays in front of the constellation Sagittarius for a few more years.

At present, both Mars and Saturn shine as brilliantly as 1st-magnitude stars. However, Mars is brighter than Saturn. Saturn’s brilliance will increase until it peaks at its June 27 opposition, and Mars’ brilliance will also increase until it peaks at its July 27 opposition.

http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essential ... rn-mercury?
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Thanks Steve! Looking at the stars and planets in the evening sky will never ever get old to me.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Aros wrote:Thanks Steve! Looking at the stars and planets in the evening sky will never ever get old to me.

Absolutely true. We're going to a place in the middle of nowhere in the Flinders Ranges for 4 days the weekend after next, so Mars will have sped away from Saturn by then, but it will still be quite a sight. Theoretically, we can see all eight other planets that weekend! We're going up there with my closest friend, Phil, and his family, to celebrate his 60th. It will be a great time - he has a new Celestron EdgeHD 925 telescope with all the computer-controlled mountings, etc.

South Australia is blessed with its night sky, especially when you're miles from the nearest light pollution. Of course also very much looking forward to great company, campfire (away from 'scope!), ruggedly beautiful surroundings (some of the oldest geology on Earth), and great food etc.

Celestron 925 EdgeHD telescope.jpg
    Celestron 925 EdgeHD telescope.jpg (34.63 KiB) Viewed 519 times
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Nice! I wish I could join you!

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Aros wrote:Nice! I wish I could join you!

You're welcome, Todd! You could get here by Friday morning. Just bring beer.

I've not yet seen my friend's Celestron telescope, as he hasn't had it long, but I bet it is awesome. I think you can, once it is set up with software running, simply hook it up to a laptop and dial in where you want to look! :D
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:38 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information