Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

World War II B-17

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
World War II B-17
Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:57 pm

• The airplane will be both taking paying passengers on flights and on display at the Renton Municipal Airport this coming Saturday and Sunday, April 7th and 8th. Location is at Pro Flight Aviation, 750 Perimeter Road, Renton, Washington.

The plane is restored and operated by The Liberty Foundation, http://www.LibertyFoundation.org, for more information.

These restored WWII bombers can cost upward of $5,000 an hour to operate. Cost for a 45 minute flight is $450 for non members, $410 for members of the foundation, with flights starting at 10 am and running until 2 p.m. Ground tours of the airplane on the ground run until 5:00 pm. Donations are encouraged to tour the plane.

http://www.king5.com/article/news/local ... ce=twitter
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Re: World War II B-17
Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:36 am
  • I don't remember details, but many years ago the folks I stayed with near Poulsbo flew in a B-17 from (I think) Boeing Field. I remember they let my friend Jim (sadly deceased) fly it briefly. He used to fly C-141s from McChord AFB during Vietnam. I think they flew in a B-24 too. I remember his wife telling me about how she manned the gun turrets while they flew. Would have to be a GREAT experience.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:31 am
  • Wow no kidding!

I have been meaning to go up in that B-17 or the Aluminum Overcast...Any touring B-17, but I always forget to save my pennies so by the time it comes back around it's out of my budget. I really need to remember to get a B-17 jar going. People scoff at the price like they are trying to rip you off and that's not it at all. Every dime goes back into the maintenance costs of keeping these national treasures flying for others to experience the incredible history that goes along with them.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:51 am
  • Arguably the greatest warbird ever produced. Never has an aircraft so far exceeded the parameters of its intended mission. These things maintained something like a 10:1 kill ratio in sorties due to the airworthiness of the design and the fact it's covered in machinegun turrets.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:51 am
  • SmokinHawk wrote:Arguably the greatest warbird ever produced. Never has an aircraft so far exceeded the parameters of its intended mission. These things maintained something like a 10:1 kill ratio in sorties due to the airworthiness of the design and the fact it's covered in machinegun turrets.

While they aren't in the same class, the F-15 has a 102-0 kill ratio.
    taz291819
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:31 pm
  • SmokinHawk wrote:Arguably the greatest warbird ever produced. Never has an aircraft so far exceeded the parameters of its intended mission. These things maintained something like a 10:1 kill ratio in sorties due to the airworthiness of the design and the fact it's covered in machinegun turrets.

Reminds me of the true story from the book "A Higher Call". Incredible tale not just of the aircraft's incredible durability even with multiple flight system and structural failures but the risk the Luftwaffe pilot took to guide it back to safety.
    Attachments
    Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG (781.55 KiB) Viewed 490 times

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:28 pm
  • Aros wrote:
    SmokinHawk wrote:Arguably the greatest warbird ever produced. Never has an aircraft so far exceeded the parameters of its intended mission. These things maintained something like a 10:1 kill ratio in sorties due to the airworthiness of the design and the fact it's covered in machinegun turrets.

Reminds me of the true story from the book "A Higher Call". Incredible tale not just of the aircraft's incredible durability even with multiple flight system and structural failures but the risk the Luftwaffe pilot took to guide it back to safety.

Didn't they kind of tell that story on an old episode of "Twilight Zone - The Series"?
    taz291819
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:21 am
  • Todd, thank you for this. I am going to buy the ebook! I remember you posted about this a while back, but I don't recall you mentioning the book there(?) Like the thread about the excellent doco of an American flying a Spitfire over Germany, I wonder if my dad knew of this. I've got a long list of things I wish I'd asked him before he passed away, but I didn't know of this until your original post about it.

I'm immediately wondering how the German pilot got away with it without being seen (maybe a naive question), but I'll read the book before actually mentioning it again.

Must watch "Memphis Belle" again - haven't seen it since I was in Poulsbo all those years ago.

I digress here, but my grandfather was a Major in the Australian Army in WWI. He was a surgeon, and a German soldier whose life he saved gave him his service pistol in gratitude. It has passed down the generations to the oldest male descendant, along with the two Military Cross medals he was awarded. I was only four when he died, so don't remember him, but my mum said I worshiped him. Apparently he could amputate a leg in 20 seconds; mostly with the patient having no anaesthetic except for a massive dose of rotgut brandy, and being held down by a pile of assistants.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:38 am
  • taz291819 wrote:Didn't they kind of tell that story on an old episode of "Twilight Zone - The Series"?

I don't know because I never got around to watching it much. But... if I remember correctly, was there actually an episode about a man who was terrified of flying, and he's in a passenger jet, and there's some sort of monstrous apparition on the wing which only he can see(?)

Also I recall a scene (again, don't know if it was "Twilight Zone") where a guy has a hitch-hiker in his car on a country road in the dark. He asks the hitch-hiker if he wants to see something "really scary" and turns his headlights off. When he turns them back on, the hitch-hiker asks the driver the same question, and changes into a hideous monster(?)
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:28 am
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:
    taz291819 wrote:Didn't they kind of tell that story on an old episode of "Twilight Zone - The Series"?

I don't know because I never got around to watching it much. But... if I remember correctly, was there actually an episode about a man who was terrified of flying, and he's in a passenger jet, and there's some sort of monstrous apparition on the wing which only he can see(?)

Also I recall a scene (again, don't know if it was "Twilight Zone") where a guy has a hitch-hiker in his car on a country road in the dark. He asks the hitch-hiker if he wants to see something "really scary" and turns his headlights off. When he turns them back on, the hitch-hiker asks the driver the same question, and changes into a hideous monster(?)

Both of those stories were "Twilight Zone - The Movie". Sorry, got off-topic.
    taz291819
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:36 pm
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:I digress here, but my grandfather was a Major in the Australian Army in WWI. He was a surgeon, and a German soldier whose life he saved gave him his service pistol in gratitude. It has passed down the generations to the oldest male descendant, along with the two Military Cross medals he was awarded. I was only four when he died, so don't remember him, but my mum said I worshiped him. Apparently he could amputate a leg in 20 seconds; mostly with the patient having no anaesthetic except for a massive dose of rotgut brandy, and being held down by a pile of assistants.

WOW! That is amazing stuff right there. I'm sorry your father passed when you were so young. Sounded like one hell of a man.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:48 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information