Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

A little F-16 sortie to start my Sunday morning...

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • 105mm EDF jet F-16C Arctic Camo. There was a police officer parked in the back. Wonder what he thought when an F-16 went wizzing by his patrol car at 125 mph? LOL!

Attachments
    5thflight3.jpg
    5thflight3.jpg (152.31 KiB) Viewed 1278 times
    5thflight4.jpg
    5thflight4.jpg (185.39 KiB) Viewed 1278 times

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Nice looking bird. :2thumbs:

A little trouble on the landing there? :D
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• I think his avatar got in the way???? :2thumbs:
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• sutz wrote:Nice looking bird. :2thumbs:

A little trouble on the landing there? :D

DAMN YOU FOR NOTICING!!!! :P

Yeah I totally brain farted the first approach. Not sure what happened. Not like me to not throttle manage and flare when needed. Luckily I went full power so it was just a hard touch and go is all and all that matters is the good landing in the end.

;)

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Todd, this is simply amazing - thank you for posting this! Now, I have a lot of questions, as I had no idea such sophisticated model jets were available.

What does 105mm EDF mean, and HSD, please? Well, I presume 105mm is the diameter of the turbine blades. :)

How the heck do you learn to fly these models? Also I'm amazed the undercarriage retracts! Does it run on kerosene? There's a thriving RC plane club very near me, but I've never seen a jet there.

Finally, sorry, but IMHO music does not accompany an airshow! :) :) :)

PLEASE could you post a video of just the sound of the jet as the soundtrack, sometime? I mean, it was GREAT music (was it Pearl Jam?) - or is there no actual live onboard sound available on the camera?
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• VERY cool. Having all that asphalt to work with must be nice but I bet you wish those light poles weren't there.
    Does your controller have a monitor that gives you the wing cam view or do you fly it by just orientating yourself with the pilot, or both?
    replicant
    NET Rookie

• Good questions gents, I am happy to answer them for you.

What does 105mm EDF mean, and HSD, please? Well, I presume 105mm is the diameter of the turbine blades. :)

105mm is the diameter of the EDF (Electric Ducted Fan). Common sizes of EDF in the hobby are 64, 70, 90 and 105mm. The larger the diameter the larger the aircraft. HSD is the name of the manufacturer who makes this particular model.

https://www.hsdgo.com/hsdjets-105edf-j- ... k-camo-pnp

I don't make Big Boy money so turbines are currently out of my price range, lol. However the advancements in EDF/electric technology in the hobby is astounding. The model is powered by LiPo batteries. No fuel, no smell, no mess.

How the heck do you learn to fly these models? Also I'm amazed the undercarriage retracts! Does it run on kerosene? There's a thriving RC plane club very near me, but I've never seen a jet there.

No kerosene, no fuel...These are purely electric aircraft that I fly. Lipo Battery Powered. As for learning, there are several ways to learn. One is to "Buddy Box" with someone who is an experienced flyer. Basically what this means is that he or she can take over if you get into trouble while flying, saving the model. The more experience you have "on the sticks" the less you need help, until finally you are able to fly completely on your own. The other way, and the route I chose was to learn to fly on an RC Simulator like Real Flight. Amazing flight dynamics and realism! The best part is you can crash as much as you need and all you have to do is hit the reset button to start over. If only that was the way it was in real life!

https://www.realflight.com/

PLEASE could you post a video of just the sound of the jet as the soundtrack, sometime? I mean, it was GREAT music (was it Pearl Jam?) - or is there no actual live onboard sound available on the camera?

LOL, I hear ya...Music isn't for everyone. (For the record the song was from a band called Alter Bridge) But in the hundreds of my published YouTube flight videos, most of them are accompanied by music and only a small minority have commented they prefer the sound of the flight without music. The reason I usually provide music is because once in the air it's not very interesting to listen to prop wash or the white noise of wind blowing back into the camera's audio mic. But I do have some, here's a recent one for ya!

VERY cool. Having all that asphalt to work with must be nice but I bet you wish those light poles weren't there. Does your controller have a monitor that gives you the wing cam view or do you fly it by just orientating yourself with the pilot, or both?

Oh the light poles and the fences and the buildings and the curbs and the highway and the cars and the....Ugh, I could go on and on. Unfortunately I am severely limited around where I live. I happened to learn about White River Amphitheater from a fellow RC flyer who noticed the 1,800ft parking lot and I was like "SOLD!" It sure beats the 250ft parking lot at the local junior high I normally fly at. But I am sadly used to flying around obstacles.

My radio does not have a monitor nor do I FPV (First Person View) yet, which does offer a monitor and first person view. I may dabble one day in that though. I simply fly looking at the model from my ground view the entire time.

I have a ton of flight videos if you guys are interested. Some really cool stuff...Jets, warbirds, civil, you name it.

Here's a video I created a few years back...It encapsulates the highs and lows of the hobby.

If you are interested in more simply type my name "Todd Breda" in the YouTube search bar. There's literally hundreds because I love aviation and I am a nerd. LOL

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• That was my bird when I was in the Air Force, the detail is so good it brings back memories. Still my favorite, cool stuff!
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• Thank you and thank you for your service!

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• m0ng0 wrote:That was my bird when I was in the Air Force, the detail is so good it brings back memories. Still my favorite, cool stuff!

I assume you mean the F-16, but of course the P-51 is a true classic in every way. I have still never seen an F-16 fly! We get so few airshows here, sigh. I've walked among a big gaggle of them parked on the tarmac at Nellis AFB, though. My friend I stayed with in Vegas had a friend who worked there, and he showed me around.
    Last edited by Aussie Seahawk on Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Todd, I've watched your videos you embedded here, THANK YOU! Absolutely amazing. I now understand the F-16's 'turbine' is an electronic "mimic," but it performs so well and sounds so good! I'm sorry, but much as that music was good, sans music was much better for me, even if it isn't a real mini-turbine. :)

Must do some research on actual model fueled "real" jet engines (just out of academic interest) - it is incredibly complicated, though, and I still don't really understand all the stuff about bypass ratios, turbo-jets as to turbo-fans, afterburners, etc, on REAL jets. I had no idea of the stratospheric prices of these, but really I should not have been surprised. Hell, the technology of YOUR "simulated" turbine setup is simply awesome+++. And I mean "simulated" with ALL respect, and a lot of awe! :D

I'm wondering what your F-16 sounds like to an observer nearby(?) but I shall search your Youtube videos for this, as I presume I'll find it.

Must NOT overlook your prop-driven models, either! The P-51 was wonderful, and the fleeting glimpse of the B-17... what the heck size is IT, and does it have FOUR powered engines? Sorry to ask so many questions, but I'm bind-moggled here... I mean MIND-BOGGLED!

I must look at your flight sim program, too... THANK YOU, Todd!
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Very very cool Todd, thank you for sharing. Would love to see it fly in real life, if you wouldn’t mind a tag along sometime.
    It's about damn time #45 is in the HOF
    tacomahawk
    NET Veteran

• Thanks my friend. Here's a video where you can hear the sound of the 12-blade fan...It sounds much better in person. The advancements in the hobby have really bridged the gap between turbine and EDF as far as the "wooooosh" sound goes.

I love jets but my passion is WWII warbirds. P-38, F4U, P-51, etc, etc...

Here's a tribute video I put together from the maiden of my P-38. Another one of my favorites...

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• m0ng0 wrote:That was my bird when I was in the Air Force, the detail is so good it brings back memories. Still my favorite, cool stuff!

A friend of mine still plays with them over in some undisclosed place. He was playing with them at Mt Home until they decided to let them go off on their merry way. As a Ground radar threat guy, I have been around a lot of aircraft in my time. Actually flew in a few too.....F-4, B-52, C-130, a refueler, and a few choppers.

Have a great day.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• That above sans-music video of your F-16 is just wonderful, Todd, and the "whoosh" sound indeed sounds amazingly like an authentic scale replica of a real jet engine/turbine. Thank you! One thing I can't quite see - when it is at low level over the runway, the wheels are down, but are they retracted for the rest of the video? I assume so - I just can't see for sure!

I'm just gobsmacked you have retractable undercarriage! If you deliberately-erroneously put the undercarriage down in various flight modes (IF you've tried), what happens?

I am about to watch more of your videos on Youtube, and of your other WWII plane models. Thanks again for all this model wonderland!
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• tacomahawk wrote:Very very cool Todd, thank you for sharing. Would love to see it fly in real life, if you wouldn’t mind a tag along sometime.

Me, too! I'll (fawn, grovel) bring beer... :)

For AFTER the flying, of course.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Legend Models P-38 Lightning Maiden - Memorial Day Tribute

My browser says this video is blocked, due to copyright content. :o
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• tacomahawk wrote:Very very cool Todd, thank you for sharing. Would love to see it fly in real life, if you wouldn’t mind a tag along sometime.

Sure thing! Once I get her completely dialed in to where I feel comfortable flying the model with folks watching I will let ya know!

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Aussie Seahawk wrote:That above sans-music video of your F-16 is just wonderful, Todd, and the "whoosh" sound indeed sounds amazingly like an authentic scale replica of a real jet engine/turbine. Thank you! One thing I can't quite see - when it is at low level over the runway, the wheels are down, but are they retracted for the rest of the video? I assume so - I just can't see for sure!

I'm just gobsmacked you have retractable undercarriage! If you deliberately-erroneously put the undercarriage down in various flight modes (IF you've tried), what happens?

I am about to watch more of your videos on Youtube, and of your other WWII plane models. Thanks again for all this model wonderland!

I'm super happy you're really digging this! Have you considered learning to fly R/C? If your vision and coordination is decent, you can learn to fly anything. I am serious. Just be warned, once you get started you will be hooked. :D

The wheels are up during the flight. I usually put the gear up a a few seconds after rotation when the wheels are no longer on the ground. The gear stays up for the rest of the flight until it's time to set up for the landing. I drop the gear on the downwind leg before hitting the base leg and then final approach.

Are you asking if I have inadvertently belly landed (gear still up)? If so, why yes I have. Many times over the years actually. Some times crap happens and gear can get stuck in the gear wells or one gear stays down or up or some electrical issue and you are forced to belly land. This has happened to me with both jets and warbirds. With warbirds you have to watch the prop so you put the flaps down and bleed off as much airspeed as possible and then flare at the last second to save the prop and lessen any potential damage to the undercarriage. With jets there's no prop to worry about but the premise is the same. Float her in as much as possible, bleeding off as much airspeed as you can to the point of nearly stall speed and gently flare the last second.

Normally only minor damage occurs, and sometimes no harm at all, especially if landing on soft grass. Pavement is gonna leave a mark no matter how nice and slow you bring her in. :lol:

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Aussie Seahawk wrote:Legend Models P-38 Lightning Maiden - Memorial Day Tribute

Oh no! Dang YouTube and their over-the-top copyright policing. It's an R/C video with a tribute to US veterans for Memorial Day for Pete Sake...I'm not making a penny off my videos. Have you tried clicking on the YouTube icon to go directly to YouTube to watch it? That may or may not make a difference.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Aros wrote:
    Aussie Seahawk wrote:Legend Models P-38 Lightning Maiden - Memorial Day Tribute

Oh no! Dang YouTube and their over-the-top copyright policing. It's an R/C video with a tribute to US veterans for Memorial Day for Pete Sake...I'm not making a penny off my videos. Have you tried clicking on the YouTube icon to go directly to YouTube to watch it? That may or may not make a difference.

Directly on YouTube and it says...

This video contains content from WMG, who has blocked it on copyright grounds.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• WMG are one of the worst offenders. As a musician I know full well the importance of artists protecting their music but I certainly wouldn't care if someone was using my music as background for a completely innocuous video that is not making any money from it. That's what I've never understood. If people want to ripoff a song or album to listen to it for free they are downloading direct mp3 files, not sourcing random YouTube RC videos, LOL.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Aros wrote:
    tacomahawk wrote:Very very cool Todd, thank you for sharing. Would love to see it fly in real life, if you wouldn’t mind a tag along sometime.

Sure thing! Once I get her completely dialed in to where I feel comfortable flying the model with folks watching I will let ya know!

I don't think I can prove this, but many years ago I was at a Centre for Neuroscience talk at work, and a speaker referenced a paper in which researchers actually showed that cockroaches which were good at running a maze performed better with other cockroaches than when alone, but roaches which weren't good at it did even worse with company. Some country's taxpayers' dollars truly at work!

Now, I'm NOT trying to actually compare you and your beautiful F-16 to cockroaches running mazes... :)
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Aros wrote:WMG are one of the worst offenders. As a musician I know full well the importance of artists protecting their music but I certainly wouldn't care if someone was using my music as background for a completely innocuous video that is not making any money from it. That's what I've never understood. If people want to ripoff a song or album to listen to it for free they are downloading direct mp3 files, not sourcing random YouTube RC videos, LOL.

Hear! Hear!

Reminds me of an infuriation I should put on the Curmudgeon thread in the Shack, with appropriate language. I was buying ebooks by Alan Dean Foster from a now defunct website company. It initially listed about 40 available ebooks by him. I placed an order for a couple of ebooks, and there was a field into which I had to put my actual physical address. So, I did (having no choice), and the list "miraculously" shrank to about 16!

I emailed them to ask what was going on, and they explained that because of "DRM protection" they were the only books available in Australia! I said "bother and blast" rather loudly, and tried a random fictitious address in Seattle (somewhere in Belltown, because I played Kelly pool at a snooker hall there when I was in Seattle, and also had a few coldies at The Crocodile), and... PRESTO! - the list of 40 or so available books magically re-appeared.

What a stupid system, unless I'm missing something. I emailed them about it, and they said they did not like it either, but they could not discuss it. I bought the books I wanted, though.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Aros wrote:
    tacomahawk wrote:Very very cool Todd, thank you for sharing. Would love to see it fly in real life, if you wouldn’t mind a tag along sometime.

Sounds awesome, thanks!
    It's about damn time #45 is in the HOF
    tacomahawk
    NET Veteran

• Aussie Seahawk wrote:
    Aros wrote:

I don't think I can prove this, but many years ago I was at a Centre for Neuroscience talk at work, and a speaker referenced a paper in which researchers actually showed that cockroaches which were good at running a maze performed better with other cockroaches than when alone, but roaches which weren't good at it did even worse with company. Some country's taxpayers' dollars truly at work!

Now, I'm NOT trying to actually compare you and your beautiful F-16 to cockroaches running mazes... :)

Well I may be in the latter group of cockroaches because this particular model has given me fits! LOL!

As for those ebooks, man that is just messed up. Sheesh.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Aros wrote:Well I may be in the latter group of cockroaches because this particular model has given me fits! LOL!

As for those ebooks, man that is just messed up. Sheesh.

When he was a pilot in the Royal Navy's Fleet Air Arm, my father flew (amongst other types) the Westland Wyvern in the 1950s, and he said that some planes were sweet and some were pigs, even though they were all identical.

As for the ebooks, how silly when I could defeat it by simply inventing an address in the US! Mind you, if I'd got caught I'd probably be living in Guantanamo Bay now...
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Am I an ass for all of a sudden wanting to build a RC fire truck with functional water cannon to take out to where these guys fly those gas jets??
    NoChops
    NET Veteran

• NoChops wrote:Am I an ass for all of a sudden wanting to build a RC fire truck with functional water cannon to take out to where these guys fly those gas jets??

Brilliant! :)

Todd, surely you attract people who watch you flying your F-16, whether you like it or not?
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• LOL! That would be sweet actually NoChops!

Oh yes people have seen my fly it...However, I fly at a Amphitheater parking lot which is in off season so nobody is around usually unless I invite folks.

Before I forget here's a fun one. This was my FMS 1700mm P-51D Mustang that I added a sweet ass sound system (Benedini) to and it was AWESOME! Turn up the volume a bit for full effect.

Note the dog in the beginning. Trying to rest and all. Wasn't having it. LOL!

(The fly by at the 2 minute mark is especially juicy)

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• And today's flight would be Exhibit A as to why I want to wait until inviting a crowd. LOL!!

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• I saw this video on Youtube of a 1/4 scale F-16 model with a turbine engine, and the undercarriage didn't seem to retract. It was an appalling landing, too! Although, in fairness, it was apparently a maiden flight.

Last edited by Aros on Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    Reason: Fixed link
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Man it looked like a perfect glide slope and approach...Even the landing? Then it bounced up? Looks like the gear were down? I wonder what happened there. Hell, what I would give for that kind of controlled approach on my F-16! LOL

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Aros wrote:Man it looked like a perfect glide slope and approach...Even the landing? Then it bounced up? Looks like the gear were down? I wonder what happened there. Hell, what I would give for that kind of controlled approach on my F-16! LOL

Your F-16 video has prodded me into exploring a lot of RC aviation on Youtube. I don't want to put embedded links (I've just realised why I had a technical problem doing this, because I forgot about using the SHARE button on Youtube) on here because I don't want to promote bigger, faster, more expensive models as in any way "better" than your awesome F-16.

But stuff out there is simply INCREDIBLE! Massive models (up to 1:4 scale) with incredible miniature kero-fuelled turbine engines, swing-wing F-14s, undercarriage with full suspension systems, landing lights, mobile pilots (huh?), simulated afterburners, at least apparently "live" cockpit instruments... even 3D engine thrust-vectoring - I never knew such a modelling realism existed, but of course, at what price? I've seen $20,000 plus!

What I'm trying to say is... your amazing F-16 is totally wonderful, and I guess within reach of people with reasonable financial means, plenty of dedication and passion, and a lot of piloting skill.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Todd, I've looked at details of your model from the manufacturer's website you provided. I have a stupid question. Compared to a little 1:72 plastic model, which will only sit on a shelf as a "decoration", I assume you do far more than use glue and paint?

How assembled does it come? Did you glue it, or screw it, or both? Did you paint it yourself, or was it ready-painted? I presume lots of transfers were involved (you'd call decals)... please, how did you assemble the model? Did the engine come pre-assembled, or did you have to do it all in steps? Sorry I've got so many questions, but I'm fascinated, and also wanting to focus on YOUR model, not some megabuck super model with a stratospheric price and complexity. Heck, your model F-16 is complex enough to blow most people's minds.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• My friend, please don't feel like you can't embed video of sweet composite/giant-scale/turbine jets or RC models, it's my passion and you will never offend me! This particular model is simply the biggest one I can afford on my budget. If I had the proper open space AND the money, trust me, I would be flying those 1:4 jets as well. Seriously, embed away!

To answer your questions:

The model comes pretty much ready to go. Literally all I have to do is screw on the stabs and wings. Then I add my receiver, plug in all the servo leads, bind the receiver and BAM. That's it for assembly.

Programming the radio is the next step. Finding the CG, getting your control throws and expo set (expo is the amount of dead space when you first move your stick. If you have no expo, when you just barely touch your control stick the movement is immediate. When you add more expo, it "deadens" the center so it doesn't react instantly but has a bit of lag. This is most effective for jittery fingers. Dampens that from making the model hypersensitive).

Once everything is programmed in your radio, the CG is set, you are literally ready to fly.

ALL of the model's motor, fan, EDF unit, ESC, electrics, servos, retracts, etc...ALL is pre-installed out of the box. Nice, right?

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Aros wrote:My friend, please don't feel like you can't embed video of sweet composite/giant-scale/turbine jets or RC models, it's my passion and you will never offend me! This particular model is simply the biggest one I can afford on my budget. If I had the proper open space AND the money, trust me, I would be flying those 1:4 jets as well. Seriously, embed away!

OK, thank you Todd. I know the model club up the road from here would love to see your F-16 display! They have no asphalt, though, only lawn. Can you take off and land on lawn?

So far, this is the most incredibly out-there RC model turbine planes site I've found... and thank you for answering my other questions! "стрижи" (transliteration = "Strizhi") on the MiG-29 is "Swifts" - a Russian Air Force aerobatic team. They also have "Русские Витязи" ("Russkiye Vityazi" - "Russian Knights" team) which fly the (IMO) even more beautiful Sukhoi Su-30SM, but have sadly had episodes of tragedy.

Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Great video! As for lawn, yes this jet can takeoff and land off of grass as long as it's short...Doesn't need to be putting green short but like freshly mowed lawn...

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Aros wrote:Great video! As for lawn, yes this jet can takeoff and land off of grass as long as it's short...Doesn't need to be putting green short but like freshly mowed lawn...

Thank you! This is the URL of my local model aero club. I may well join one day, when I've finished all the house painting:

https://holdfastmac.asn.au/
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• That's great! Looks like they have a free training program using their equipment. The great thing about joining clubs is the camaraderie and most folks are friendly and love to share their knowledge and help out new folks. I would highly recommend investing in a R/C simulator too if you can. It's a great way to learn without crashing real models and you can still fly regardless of the weather outside. The quickest way to progress in the hobby.

Here's a list of the better simulators out there:

Real Flight 8

Aerofly RC 7

https://www.aeroflyrc.com/index.html

Phoenix RC 5

http://www.phoenix-sim.com/

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Aros wrote:That's great! Looks like they have a free training program using their equipment. The great thing about joining clubs is the camaraderie and most folks are friendly and love to share their knowledge and help out new folks. I would highly recommend investing in a R/C simulator too if you can. It's a great way to learn without crashing real models and you can still fly regardless of the weather outside. The quickest way to progress in the hobby.

Here's a list of the better simulators out there:

Real Flight 8

Yes, Todd, I'm intending to check this one out which you said you use.

I've never been a member of the local RC aero club, but it is certainly thriving. Been there for many years, and I may well join up there some time. However, I have a long-stalled RC project of my own - a 1:10 4WD nitro monster truck. I am ashamed to say it has sat in my wardrobe partially constructed since 2007, and there's no way I can justify doing anything with planes until I have got it finished and mastered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62eXowswCys

It was one of those projects you buy in installments weekly from the newsagent. Each week you got a magazine of instructions and advice, and some parts. It blew out to 87 installments at around $15 each, so it was a significant expense. Ranks up there with my Russian language lessons I did for two years, hardly any of which I remember. That's the other thing I'm "GUNNA" get back to!

I know the truck has problems. The accelerator/brake servo attachments need rebuilding, as does the suspension, and the front wheels are not properly aligned. I bought a digital vernier caliper so I can measure things better, and I've just (as of yesterday) started pulling it all apart, to start again from near scratch. It has a one-horsepower 2.5cc engine which I've never started, but when you pull the starter cable you can feel excellent compression.

I'm not good at mechanics, but the instructions waffle on about trivia at times, and gloss over other things which could be important. For instance, components of the suspension had no instructions as to which way they should be installed. They are tiny cylinders in shape, but they must be tapered, because they always roll in a circle on a flat surface, even though you can't see the dimensional differences. I bet that's why the suspension feels soggy!

THANK YOU for inspiring me to get this so-far wasted project back on track! I'll post some pictures when I get organised, or maybe a video of my wife telling me off for having RC truck parts festooning the very large table in the dining room. God help me when we next have dinner guests... :)
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• A wonderful Mil-24 helicopter gunship model.
    Last edited by Aussie Seahawk on Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• That's great! Looking forward to the updated video and photos. R/C - whatever your age - is just plain fun.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Aros wrote:That's great! Looking forward to the updated video and photos. R/C - whatever your age - is just plain fun.

Absolutely! I'm working on the truck this arvo - there's a howling gale outside and no footy on TV, so a good day for it. Oh, I fixed the helicopter video embed above - I have no idea how I originally stuffed it up. That Mil-24 must have cost a small fortune!
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• That thing is a BEAST! Wow...The nerve to pilot that thing, lol.

Yesterday I spent some time on YouTube reminding myself that I am not the only one crashing planes. There's tons of crash videos out there but this one really hurts. Crash sequence begins at the 1:22 mark. A great example of two pilots not in communication (the heli pilot and the aircraft pilot).

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Aros wrote:Yesterday I spent some time on YouTube reminding myself that I am not the only one crashing planes. There's tons of crash videos out there but this one really hurts. Crash sequence begins at the 1:22 mark. A great example of two pilots not in communication (the heli pilot and the aircraft pilot).

OUCH! Did not fly very well with one wing gone. And the ground is very hard - just ask the sperm whale in Hitch-Hiker's Guide...
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory. :lol:

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• I've always said, if I ain't crashin' I ain't flyin'. LOL

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• A Father's Day Sortie for ya Aussie...Hope you enjoy. :D

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Aros wrote:A Father's Day Sortie for ya Aussie...Hope you enjoy. :D

I used to work on those. Well, I worked on F4Bs, which was the USMC version of it before they were upgraded to J.

Beautiful bird. Always been one of my faves, with the caveat that I'm a bit biased. ;)
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Next

It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:39 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information