The Netflix Shows Thread

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: The Netflix Shows Thread
Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:04 am
  • I guess I meant beyond her Hannah role that made her famous.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:57 am
  • Watched I an Mother last night. Pretty cool movie.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:13 am
  • Yeah me too, wasn't too shabby.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:15 pm
  • Aros wrote:
    Heady stuff! I just wish there were more than 3 measly episodes. What's up with that?!

Yeah after Bandersnatch and now just three episodes you wonder why Netflix and Channel 4 don't just wait to have 6-8 episodes in the can and release an entire season, instead of releasing them in this disjointed of a fashion.

I know we now live in a streaming world where we want it now, but I'd rather wait more than a year for a great series to take their time and give us a proper season.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:00 pm
  • Agreed 100% Rob!
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

The Netflix Shows Thread
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:10 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:Hey heads up if you haven't checked it out yet, Ava DuVernay's "When They See Us" is one of the most moving, heartbreaking, and inspirational things I've ever seen on TV. Many people are familiar with the Central Park Five, but DuVernay's limited Netflix series on the issue is an absolute masterpiece IMO.

Watched the first ep this weekend. Going to have to wait on the rest. It’s painful to watch because these guys got so screwed. My empathic anxiety goes way up as I watch.
    sc85sis
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:17 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:Watched I an Mother last night. Pretty cool movie.

They could spin off the future and or the past on this, does she open up all 63,000 or does she refuse to do any until her brother is grown?

This is a world that she can't win in unless they go to the core program, they will be pawns forever.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:50 am
  • bevellisthedevil wrote:So far Chernobyl is fantastic and terrifying on HBO.

It finally starts here in Australia tomorrow night on satellite TV (Foxtel); the trailer certainly looks very impressive. BTW, a while after the Chernobyl disaster, some local kids came to Australia and were billeted with participating families. the lady who used to daycare our kids hosted a boy. He spoke no English (unsurprisingly!) but picked it up with amazing speed. He got upset when Lynne first tried to wash his clothes, because he thought they were being taken from him. Fortunately they had access to Ukrainian translators as part of the program, to sort that out.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:16 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:Watched I an Mother last night. Pretty cool movie.

They could spin off the future and or the past on this, does she open up all 63,000 or does she refuse to do any until her brother is grown?

This is a world that she can't win in unless they go to the core program, they will be pawns forever.

They can totally spin. Swanks character didn't get shown being killed, plus all the embryo's.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:23 am
  • WHAT/IF
    Pretty good 10 episode series..Stars Renée Zellweger and it kept me watching.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:15 am
  • Wow the three new Black Mirrors were bad.

Smithereens was decent, but both Striking Vipers and Ashley Too were downright terrible..........Especially Ashley Too. So bad. The last 20 minutes of the episode was like having a virtual lobotomy.

I don't even know what the message of Vipers was. Dudes video gaming is so homoerotic that it turns you gay? Unlocks the gayness? I don't even know. Dumb.

You didn't even need the gay angle to make an episode about adult males video gaming, and how it can be damaging to marriages and families.

btw, if you don't want to be tempted to get it on with your buddy online, just choose Blanka, and not two attractive hairless Asians.

Don't care if you're straight or gay, no one's hooking up with this dude.

Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:25 am
  • Bad? I wouldn't go that far. Underwhelming? Most definitely. I felt robbed on what could have been a much stronger effort, especially when they only put out 3 episodes. Weak sauce.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:40 am
  • Aros wrote:Bad? I wouldn't go that far. Underwhelming? Most definitely. I felt robbed on what could have been a much stronger effort, especially when they only put out 3 episodes. Weak sauce.

The Cyrus episode was downright atrocious. The last 20 minutes felt like a bad cheesy 80's movie "hey let us in we're 14 year old exterminators yeah that's it!"

So yes, bad to mediocre at best for one of the three episodes.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:03 pm
  • Lol at Blanka.

The new Black Mirror episodes were okay. They weren’t close to being one of the better episodes, but they were also better than some episodes like Metal Head. Even weak Black Mirror episodes are more entertaining than most shows. While I found them entertaining, none blew me away. I think the message in Striking Vipers was people act differently online than in real life.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:11 pm
  • I would even go as far as saying the Cyrus episode was meant to be an exercise in teenie bop campiness purposefully. It was practically making fun at itself the whole way through.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:40 am
  • Aros wrote:I would even go as far as saying the Cyrus episode was meant to be an exercise in teenie bop campiness purposefully. It was practically making fun at itself the whole way through.

Unfortunately I can't give the writers this much credit.

It started out fine, dark and intriguing as to the plot and message, and then it went completely off the rails.

Would have been a good to even great episode if they would have ended it with Ashley living in her own hell on life support as her music career moved on through her evil aunt and agent continuing to make music with her dreams and the hologram. THAT'S a Black Mirror episode.

Much more profound statement than the wacky 80's ending with Ashley and her stalker teen fan starting up a Nine Inch Nails cover band, or whatever the hell they were doing at the end.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:56 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:...Much more profound statement than the wacky 80's ending with Ashley and her stalker teen fan starting up a Nine Inch Nails cover band, or whatever the hell they were doing at the end.

LOL...Ah, that made me chuckle. True, it did jump the shark at the end.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:11 pm
  • When They See Us was great, very well done show. Apparently it was the most watched Netflix show. Great acting all around and the show made it feel real. It can be hard to watch, but this kind of racism is still happening today unfortunately.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:13 pm
  • The Bob Lazar documentary is worth the watch. I will go to my grave believing the man is telling the truth.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:02 pm
  • No Stranger Things talk yet?

Stranger Things 3 is fantastic. Don't listen to anybody who tells you otherwise. 80s nostalgia perfection.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:02 am
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:No Stranger Things talk yet?

Stranger Things 3 is fantastic. Don't listen to anybody who tells you otherwise. 80s nostalgia perfection.

Finished it on Saturday. Fantastic season IMO. Prolly my favorite of the 3 so far.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:40 am
  • Can't wait to binge Season 3. I've heard from a few people that it's the best season so far. If that's the case, it's damn good.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:50 am
  • Aros wrote:The Bob Lazar documentary is worth the watch. I will go to my grave believing the man is telling the truth.

He's very obviously full of shit.
    peachesenregalia
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:56 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Can't wait to binge Season 3. I've heard from a few people that it's the best season so far. If that's the case, it's damn good.

I'm five episodes in, and IMO plot wise I'm not sure it's up to the other two seasons (so far).............but it's more evenly paced as far as more excitement and action going on each episode, instead of the prior two seasons slow burn/buildup and payoff at the finale formula.

I also love that the Duffer Bros keep bringing back 80's actors. This year it's Carey Elwes and Jake Busey, and obviously awesome job in prior seasons with Paul Reiser, Sean Astin and Matthew Modine.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:11 pm
  • btw, anyone else have themselves some Mrs. Wheeler fever? Rawr.

Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:00 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:Can't wait to binge Season 3. I've heard from a few people that it's the best season so far. If that's the case, it's damn good.

I'm five episodes in, and IMO plot wise I'm not sure it's up to the other two seasons (so far).............but it's more evenly paced as far as more excitement and action going on each episode, instead of the prior two seasons slow burn/buildup and payoff at the finale formula.

I also love that the Duffer Bros keep bringing back 80's actors. This year it's Carey Elwes and Jake Busey, and obviously awesome job in prior seasons with Paul Reiser, Sean Astin and Matthew Modine.

Interesting, I felt like S3 was the most focused and natural plot building out of the three seasons. Dacre Montgomery's portrayal of Billy was insanely good and I was hooked from the first episode.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:18 pm
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:Can't wait to binge Season 3. I've heard from a few people that it's the best season so far. If that's the case, it's damn good.

Interesting, I felt like S3 was the most focused and natural plot building out of the three seasons. Dacre Montgomery's portrayal of Billy was insanely good and I was hooked from the first episode.

Yeah, it's really hard for me to judge the seasons against each other without kind of watching them all back to back, which I don't have the time to do, but I feel like this season just did all the things the first two did well even better.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:48 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

Yeah, it's really hard for me to judge the seasons against each other without kind of watching them all back to back, which I don't have the time to do, but I feel like this season just did all the things the first two did well even better.

If you don't have the time to watch the seasons back to back, who does?
    cdallan
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:11 pm
  • cdallan wrote:If you don't have the time to watch the seasons back to back, who does?

Nobody because I have the most free time of all the people with Netflix accounts.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:49 pm
  • Season 3 was fantastic, far better than season 2. Its hard to recapture the magic of that first season but I think they did a really good job with all the kids growing up. I would put s3 solidly in 2nd place, barely behind s1 but well ahead of s2.

Highlight below for spoiler content.

>>>>>>>I dont think Hopper is dead.<<<<<<<<
    Last edited by XxXdragonXxX on Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:03 am
  • I think you are correct, XxXdragonXxX.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:37 pm
  • Check out "The Boys" on amazon prime. So far its a pretty entertaining take on the superhero genre.
    bevellisthedevil
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:27 pm
  • bevellisthedevil wrote:Check out "The Boys" on amazon prime. So far its a pretty entertaining take on the superhero genre.

I watched a couple episodes last night. So far I like it. Nothing amazing about it but definitely good.
    drcool
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:06 pm
  • bevellisthedevil wrote:Check out "The Boys" on amazon prime. So far its a pretty entertaining take on the superhero genre.

Really enjoying this one. I think we're 6 episodes in. Violent, funny, and super messed up at times.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:06 am
  • On NetFlix-"Conspiracy Theory"(The moon landing)
    I took hits on what I believed happened in another thread.
    There are much more and higher qualified people than I
    in this one.
    I wish I had seen it prior to that thread because there are
    some eye openers..
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:48 pm
  • XxXdragonXxX wrote:
    bevellisthedevil wrote:Check out "The Boys" on amazon prime. So far its a pretty entertaining take on the superhero genre.

Really enjoying this one. I think we're 6 episodes in. Violent, funny, and super messed up at times.

Enjoying it a lot. It's not perfect but I think it has a great template to grow and improve for season 2. Superhero genre is over saturated even though Marvel continues to rake in cash, appreciate seeing a darker side to superheroes. Amazon certainly is putting a lot of money into advertising too, see commercials for it everywhere.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:57 pm
  • Waiting for The Witcher.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:23 pm
  • Within the context that superheroes are real, I think The Boys is actually a pretty realistic take on humanity's tendencies if a small percentage actually had superhero abilities.

If you disagree...go read reviews of a computer game called Rust, and what people do in that when given free reign...
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:50 pm
  • Haven't been watching too much new stuff lately...The wife and I got sucked into binging the entire series of Mad Men. Great show. What's this show Typewriter I hear about that is allegedly super scary?
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:11 pm
  • One of our favorites was THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE. Season 2 is in the works. Just insanely well done and gave you the creeps all the way through.

Black Mirror used to be one of the faves...but after season 3 yawn fest...pretty disappointed

OA was pretty good!

On the hunt right now for a new binge worthy show. Love the look of some of the others from overseas, but damn....I struggle getting past the lips not moving to words right LOL
    tonyseahawk
    NET Rookie

Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:12 pm
  • Aros wrote:Haven't been watching too much new stuff lately...The wife and I got sucked into binging the entire series of Mad Men. Great show. What's this show Typewriter I hear about that is allegedly super scary?

We just tried to watch that yesterday. Looks to be a great one, but as I said in my above post, I struggle with the voice over dubbing. I find myself staring at their mouths all the time....thinking..What!? That didnt match lol
    tonyseahawk
    NET Rookie

Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:23 pm
  • Yeah Haunting of Hill House is by far and away the creepiest series I've watched yet. Extremely well done!
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:03 pm
  • I loved Hill House and I'm not really typically into the horror/suspense genre. Loved The OA too. Never really got into Black Mirror, but the Bandersnatch things was pretty fun.

I'm enjoying The Boys on Prime right now. It's pretty fun. Still slowly getting through the final season of Jessica Jones. For some reason I liked that one more than the rest of the Marvel Netflix series.

GLOW season 3 comes out on the 20th. The Dark Crystal series on the 30th. Very much looking forward to both of those.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:02 pm
  • OA is great, Haunted of Hill, great if not exceptional, Black Mirror S3 SUCKED, huge let down but hopefully that means S4 will come back with a vengeance...Still waiting on the next season of Peaky Blinders, FANTASTIC show!
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:55 am
  • +1 on Haunting of Hill House. Out fricken standing show. So damn creepy.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:25 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Within the context that superheroes are real, I think The Boys is actually a pretty realistic take on humanity's tendencies if a small percentage actually had superhero abilities.

If you disagree...go read reviews of a computer game called Rust, and what people do in that when given free reign...

Totally agree. I'm only two episodes into The Boys, but I'd say it's the most realistic interpretation of what a world with superheros would look like..............in not only how THEY would act, but how corporations would use them, and how the government would be afraid of them both power and monetarily.

As someone who has a hard time with the melodramatic black and white world of superheroes where "these are the good superheroes, and these are the bad superheroes, etc" The Boys is a welcome show for me.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:52 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:+1 on Haunting of Hill House. Out fricken standing show. So damn creepy.

So true! I have seen a lot of creepy genre stuff over the years but this has to be my favorite. Extremely well done. Highly recommended, even for those who don't normally watch creepy stuff. There were nights I was watching an episode alone thinking "What in the Hell am I doing!!" Every little sound or my eyes playing tricks on me...LOL...Fun!
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:43 pm
  • And Carla Gugino is outstanding. Plays the part so well.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:33 pm
  • Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:45 pm
  • The OA has been cancelled after 2 seasons. Not sure I want to start watching it knowing that it doesn't get a proper ending.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

PreviousNext

It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:39 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information