The Netflix Shows Thread

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: The Netflix Shows Thread
Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:10 pm
  • Wow trippy. My good friend's mom was his classmate.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:23 pm
  • My mom was friends with Ted, they hung out in the same group of people who would go to movies etc. They both went to Wilson High School in Tacoma. It's a trip looking in her yearbook and seeing where wrote in there. She was class of '65.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:29 am
  • Binged this show in one night, so far best show of 2019 and one of the best Netflix original series I've seen. It's hard to put it in a genre, but it really makes you think. Episodes are only like 25 minutes, watch a couple and see if you like it. Currently has a 100% tomato meter on RT. While this idea has been done before (groundhog day), this show brings in new concepts and ideas.

Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:53 am
  • Cyrus12 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    Cyrus12 wrote:Just started watching the Ted Bundy doc. Freaky stuff.

Freaky was being in Bellingham looking for a dates car the same night he abducted and killed the two women up there, we were driving and walking around the town that night.

Yep I bet. Was wondering if anyone here was around when this happened.

That was Major national news..I remember the newspapers being covered
    with the guys different pics and name..I was a kid, so you would kind of look around
    and make sure there wasn't anyone with his profile around even on the old ferry
    boats going between Vashon and Seattle.I went to Green Lake one year and I
    believe it was that time this was happening.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:52 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:My mom was friends with Ted, they hung out in the same group of people who would go to movies etc. They both went to Wilson High School in Tacoma. It's a trip looking in her yearbook and seeing where wrote in there. She was class of '65.

That is crazy, and creepy. Off topic a bit but my sister is good friends with this fella who lives in Florida but is from Milwaukee. He is g** and he told her that Jeffery Dahmer tried to hit on him at a bar in Milwaukee. He said he gave him a bad vibe and got away from him. It was only after, on the news that he realized that a creepy serial killer had attempted to reel him in.
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:33 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:Binged this show in one night, so far best show of 2019 and one of the best Netflix original series I've seen. It's hard to put it in a genre, but it really makes you think. Episodes are only like 25 minutes, watch a couple and see if you like it. Currently has a 100% tomato meter on RT. While this idea has been done before (groundhog day), this show brings in new concepts and ideas.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'm on episode six of Russian Doll, and really enjoying it.

It's a darker, edgier Groundhog Day. Natasha Lyonne is fantastic, although I'm pretty sure she has lung cancer now.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:07 am
  • Wow, that is very creepy. Especially that he had that bad vibe about Dahmer.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:58 pm
  • Was just about to recommend Russian Doll...See that it's getting well-deserved pub here. It was terrific.

Watched Netflix Original Movies (NOMs) Extinction and IO. Both pretty good. Extinction had a nice twist about halfway through. IO was slower paced but decent.

Ted Bundy docuseries was great but unbelievably creepy. If you are a dimestore psychologist like I am, you will love it, trying to figure him out and why he did what he did.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:36 pm
  • I didn't like IO at all. In fact, I thought it was downright terrible. Literally nothing noteworthy, fun or exciting happens in the first 45 minutes so I turned it off. If anything spectacular happens after that, great, but don't expect me to watch it if you're going to give me 45 minutes of nothing and 2 terrible characters that I care nothing about in a world that makes zero sense.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:43 pm
  • Aros wrote:Was just about to recommend Russian Doll...See that it's getting well-deserved pub here. It was terrific.

Watched Netflix Original Movies (NOMs) Extinction and IO. Both pretty good. Extinction had a nice twist about halfway through. IO was slower paced but decent.

Ted Bundy docuseries was great but unbelievably creepy. If you are a dimestore psychologist like I am, you will love it, trying to figure him out and why he did what he did.

I thought it was a interesting take on the Ground Hog day scenario, using the two characters tied together in an unknown way was interesting and trying to see how it all worked and the depth being explained later on Nadia.

Damn Cats ( See Shack Thread) :P

As far as Bundy, I stated above I was out in about the night he killed the two in Bellingham, then I remember the hunt and arrest and the trial all over TV for a long ass time.

Trying to figure out why has been careers of some people by now. Some people are just miswired, wasn't looks or brains or lack of money or anything like that, he had it all.

Kind of reminds me of the Character in the Dexter show in some ways.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:37 pm
  • fenderbender123 wrote:I didn't like IO at all. In fact, I thought it was downright terrible. Literally nothing noteworthy, fun or exciting happens in the first 45 minutes so I turned it off. If anything spectacular happens after that, great, but don't expect me to watch it if you're going to give me 45 minutes of nothing and 2 terrible characters that I care nothing about in a world that makes zero sense.

I can see how you would feel that way. It's not a popcorn munching action flic, that's for sure. I didn't mind the slow burn, I guess I was in the mood for it. I stuck with it and thought it was decent. To each their own.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:32 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    Aros wrote:Was just about to recommend Russian Doll...See that it's getting well-deserved pub here. It was terrific.

I thought it was a interesting take on the Ground Hog day scenario, using the two characters tied together in an unknown way was interesting and trying to see how it all worked and the depth being explained later on Nadia.

Damn Cats ( See Shack Thread) :P

As far as Bundy, I stated above I was out in about the night he killed the two in Bellingham, then I remember the hunt and arrest and the trial all over TV for a long ass time.

Trying to figure out why has been careers of some people by now. Some people are just miswired, wasn't looks or brains or lack of money or anything like that, he had it all.

Kind of reminds me of the Character in the Dexter show in some ways.

Loved that show..
    He only killed the bad guys ..
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:50 pm
  • Aros wrote:

I am so much like that too. Criminal Psychology is something I wish I would have studied in school. I love Silence Of The Lambs. I bet you love the series Mindhunter. I cannot wait for season 2.
    I loved Dexter and wish there were real life ones out there to get rid of the filth like Bundy.
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:57 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:Loved that show..

#DexterForever
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:09 pm
  • Aros wrote:
    fenderbender123 wrote:I didn't like IO at all. In fact, I thought it was downright terrible. Literally nothing noteworthy, fun or exciting happens in the first 45 minutes so I turned it off. If anything spectacular happens after that, great, but don't expect me to watch it if you're going to give me 45 minutes of nothing and 2 terrible characters that I care nothing about in a world that makes zero sense.

I can see how you would feel that way. It's not a popcorn munching action flic, that's for sure. I didn't mind the slow burn, I guess I was in the mood for it. I stuck with it and thought it was decent. To each their own.

It's not so much that I hated it as it is that I was in a bad mood at work today when I wrote that post lol. But it was definitely not great. It held my attention for awhile, though.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:36 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:Loved that show..

#DexterForever

Dexter was great, but only for about 4-5 seasons, then it went off the rails..........kinda like what Showtime is doing with Shameless right now.

They don't know when to quit.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:15 pm
  • Seahwkgal wrote:
    Aros wrote:

I am so much like that too. Criminal Psychology is something I wish I would have studied in school. I love Silence Of The Lambs. I bet you love the series Mindhunter. I cannot wait for season 2.
    I loved Dexter and wish there were real life ones out there to get rid of the filth like Bundy.

Yeah I do love Mindhunter...Somewhere in a parallel universe I didn't try the rock star route and kept with my passion for psychology. Outside of art it was the only class I got an A in in High School.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:03 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:

#DexterForever

Dexter was great, but only for about 4-5 seasons, then it went off the rails..........kinda like what Showtime is doing with Shameless right now.

The final season I'll agree with you on, particularly the last couple episodes; but come on, the finale for season six is one of the greatest finales of any show ever. It's the one where a certain someone walks into a church and sees another certain someone doing something. :)
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:45 am
  • Season 4 of Dexter with John Lithgow was plain awesome. The ending to that season was a wow factor. Great series but yes the last season was not good. Always thought they should of saved Dexter's brother for the last season instead of the first.
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:31 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:

#DexterForever

The final season I'll agree with you on, particularly the last couple episodes; but come on, the finale for season six is one of the greatest finales of any show ever. It's the one where a certain someone walks into a church and sees another certain someone doing something. :)

That season was terrible. The whole Doomsday Killer plot was a mess, then Debra's soap opera afterschool special drama with Dexter........should have ended it after Lithgow's season.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:27 am
  • Russian Doll was good.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:25 pm
  • I started watching S4 of Dexter because some of you were talking about how excellent it was. Couple episodes in...I forgot how much I loved that show (my wife and I watched the first two seasons or so but stopped after no longer having Showtime). Thinking about watching that Umbrella series next...
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:52 pm
  • Aros wrote:I started watching S4 of Dexter because some of you were talking about how excellent it was. Couple episodes in...I forgot how much I loved that show (my wife and I watched the first two seasons or so but stopped after no longer having Showtime). Thinking about watching that Umbrella series next...

Stop Dexter at 6.

Watching Umbrella Academy now. So far its not bad
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:30 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Watching Umbrella Academy now. So far its not bad

Just started this tonight and watched the first 3 episodes. I'm liking it.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:11 am
  • Just finished Umbrella Academy. It was fantastic, great soundtrack to. Now Im reading the comics.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:20 am
  • XxXdragonXxX wrote:Just finished Umbrella Academy. It was fantastic, great soundtrack to. Now Im reading the comics.

Yeah another home run for Netflix in the production department on The Umbrella Academy.

It's an enjoyable series, but it's a bit meandering. I'm only five episodes in, but so far there's no real protagonist or central plot........it's just a bunch of side plots with the kids/adults weaving in and out of each other's story arcs.

I would have liked to see (and maybe this will happen by the end) a more cohesive plot with a defined protagonist. But still highly enjoyable.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:58 am
  • I tried Umbrella Academy but couldn't get into it. Super hero movies just aren't for me.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:39 pm
  • XxXdragonXxX wrote:Just finished Umbrella Academy. It was fantastic, great soundtrack to. Now Im reading the comics.

Just started it last night. Only watched one episode but it was good enough to bring me back. Looking forward to watching a few more episodes.
    drcool
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:07 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Stop Dexter at 6.

Good to know and will do.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:11 pm
  • Gabriel Iglesias's new Netflix comedy special is hilarious.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:26 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    XxXdragonXxX wrote:Just finished Umbrella Academy. It was fantastic, great soundtrack to. Now Im reading the comics.

Yeah another home run for Netflix in the production department on The Umbrella Academy.

It's an enjoyable series, but it's a bit meandering. I'm only five episodes in, but so far there's no real protagonist or central plot........it's just a bunch of side plots with the kids/adults weaving in and out of each other's story arcs.

I would have liked to see (and maybe this will happen by the end) a more cohesive plot with a defined protagonist. But still highly enjoyable.

This season was more of an introduction to the "family" of "heroes" and how messed up they were by their " father" than anything else. . It all comes together really well at the end and leaves with a great setup for season two.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:16 am
  • For those who watched Altered Carbon season 1 and are waiting on season 2, they've announced the season 2 cast via youtube...

kidhawk
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:24 pm
  • Sweet...I dig AC...
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:45 pm
  • Aros wrote:It's good and what you would expect I would think.

I watched it and as I feared, they seemed to kind of just look for a quick way to end the series in case there wasn't a season 4. Had it continued I think they could have done some more good stuff, but I just don't think they did a good job of wrapping up this timeline, and with the news of it's cancellation, that can never happen now. Oh well, there's always another show to distract us.
    kidhawk
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:43 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:#DexterForever

That season was terrible. The whole Doomsday Killer plot was a mess, then Debra's soap opera afterschool special drama with Dexter........should have ended it after Lithgow's season.

Debra is the single most annoying tv character ive ever watched.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:18 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:

#DexterForever

Even though the past 2.5 seasons quality overall has been garbage with an occasional great episode, I've stuck with Shameless because seasons 1-6ish are some of my favorite TV ever and they've had some early season type episodes in the back half of season 9 if you haven't kept up with it. I've surprisingly liked it a lot. I don't know why they decided to go comedy over drama around season 6 because when they build stories with crushing payoffs, not many other shows can compete. It's refreshing they have, at least for season 9B, gone back to the original formula.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:54 pm
  • Watching S5 of Dexter. Is that season still decent? So far so good...About 3 episodes in. Do I really need to stop at the end of S5?
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:37 am
  • Aros wrote:Watching S5 of Dexter. Is that season still decent? So far so good...About 3 episodes in. Do I really need to stop at the end of S5?

I liked 5 for the most part (interesting villain) but it's a step down from 4. If you were to stop I'd say finish out 5 at least.
    I disliked 6 a lot, 7 has a few good episodes but overall felt like it had no direction during it, and then 8 is bad with probably the worst finale I've ever seen.

I mostly stuck with it because Michael C Hall is a great actor, definitely better shows out there to watch but I wanted to see the story finish.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:09 pm
  • mistaowen wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:

#DexterForever

Even though the past 2.5 seasons quality overall has been garbage with an occasional great episode, I've stuck with Shameless because seasons 1-6ish are some of my favorite TV ever and they've had some early season type episodes in the back half of season 9 if you haven't kept up with it. I've surprisingly liked it a lot. I don't know why they decided to go comedy over drama around season 6 because when they build stories with crushing payoffs, not many other shows can compete. It's refreshing they have, at least for season 9B, gone back to the original formula.

Well it's all about to come crashing down for Shameless, both Cameron Monaghan (Ian) and Emmy Rossum (Fiona) aren't returning next year.......and Monaghan isn't even in the 2nd half of this season.

Again, love me some Shameless, I'll put it up against any show ever for sheer visceral drama, comedy and just flat out entertaining to watch. But it's time............it's been time.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:33 pm
  • Loved Umbrella Academy. Never read the comics but I enjoyed the characters and the sort of slowly developing story/reveal of what was really going on. The production quality was top notch and the music was great. Happy to hear it's been renewed for another season.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:32 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    mistaowen wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:#DexterForever

Well it's all about to come crashing down for Shameless, both Cameron Monaghan (Ian) and Emmy Rossum (Fiona) aren't returning next year.......and Monaghan isn't even in the 2nd half of this season.

Again, love me some Shameless, I'll put it up against any show ever for sheer visceral drama, comedy and just flat out entertaining to watch. But it's time............it's been time.

Ian is coming back next year full time, only Fiona is leaving and John Wells has said she's welcome back whenever (whatever that means). Though they certainly seemed to run out of ideas for Ian since Mickey left. Not sure how they'll integrate him without a time jump, unless the plan is to focus on his life in prison.

There are still glimpses of what the show once was. I think season 7's ending would have actually been a terrific finale. I don't think any of the younger kids are good enough actors to carry the show. Frank and Lip certainly can but the writing needs to stay consistent or I agree, it might be time to plan a solid final season and avoid Dexter territory.

I believe it is still their most popular show thanks to Netflix (maybe top 3) which definitely explains why Showtime has no inclination to end it.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:27 pm
  • I binged umbrella academy too and it started slow but picked up well
    Just binged pine gap and loved it , too bad only six episodes so far
    Gonna give Russian doll a try
    Another short movie I liked was ARQ
    hawxfreak
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:09 pm
  • Aros wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Stop Dexter at 6.

Meh, just lower your expectations after six, don't avoid watching it altogether. There is some closure to a couple of things, at least.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:11 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Aros wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Stop Dexter at 6.

Meh, just lower your expectations after six, don't avoid watching it altogether. There is some closure to a couple of things, at least.

This is true..It was still good just not like the previous seasons.
    The closure is there as Ro said.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:49 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Meh, just lower your expectations after six, don't avoid watching it altogether. There is some closure to a couple of things, at least.

Just started S6. I will definitely keep watching knowing the best seasons are behind. I just enjoy the show and his character.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:28 pm
  • Aros wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:Meh, just lower your expectations after six, don't avoid watching it altogether. There is some closure to a couple of things, at least.

Just started S6. I will definitely keep watching knowing the best seasons are behind. I just enjoy the show and his character.

Sure it's not buried latent desires ? :P
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:21 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Sure it's not buried latent desires ? :P

Oh, there's people from my past that could perhaps stir the embers of evil that lies dormant in us all. :twisted:
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:10 pm
  • Not a Netflux show, but we don't have a Hulu thread and Im nit gonna make one. Letterkenny is hilarious.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:11 pm
  • After Life with Ricky Gervais is my new jam. Love him. Slow burn, a bit depressive based on the story line but good.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:37 am
  • Aros wrote:After Life with Ricky Gervais is my new jam. Love him. Slow burn, a bit depressive based on the story line but good.

Totally agree on all fronts, Gervais is brilliant. Perfect mix of dark humor, pathos and profound honest dialogue about life.

If you enjoyed After Life, check out Derek........Gervais's other great show that's also available on Netflix.

Lastly, here's Gervais talking about dogs. It's the video you didn't know you needed.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=803031260074311
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

PreviousNext

It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:59 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information