Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

A very UN-White Christmas

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
A very UN-White Christmas
Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:10 am
  • Adelaide, South Australia, where I live, has the horrible "distinction" of being the hottest major city on the planet on Xmas day... forecast 40C/104F. "Beats" Asunción, Paraguay (38C/100F) and Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (36F/97F).

I know I can look it all up on the net, but curious to know forecasts for folks in various locales here... I think Seattle is around 1C/34F?
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Rookie

Re: A very UN-White Christmas
Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:50 am
  • I'd love that weather here.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:52 am
  • It'll only reach about 90 here in paradise on Christmas.
    "The ultimate number is W's, and that’s what matters in Santa Clara. As such, Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does." - Paul Gutierrez
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:57 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I'd love that weather here.

God - each to his own, but WHY? Don't you like your Seattle climate? IF I could, I'd move to Seattle in a heartbeat. We've really committed too much to our house with recent renos, but I'd at least like to move to Tasmania. We were there in October, and it snowed like mad at Cradle Mountain, which is the first time I've ever seen it snowING. I've been in snow 6 feet deep in Paradise, WA - but it was not actually snowing at the time.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Rookie

Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:13 am
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:It'll only reach about 90 here in paradise on Christmas.

Do you LIKE that climate? It must be so humid? Are you based in Philippines on military duty?

Sorry about all the questions! I hate summer with a passion. Grew up on a fruit orchard - busiest time of year was summer, and temps up to 48C/117F. BLUUUEEEYUKKK!
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Rookie

Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:54 am
  • We get up to minus 7C/20F here on Christmas. Low is gonna be about -15c or about 5 F. We are getting about 2-4 inches of snow as I type from the weather service. That is on top of the snow we got in the past few days and a bit from few days before that. It has not got above 30 here for 2 weeks. Probably not gonna get above that even tho accuweather says different. I expect to have a total of 6 - 8 inches of snow on the ground by tomorrow.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:07 am
  • Just outside of Seattle here. Predicted high of 4C/40F today. Just a smidgeon lower for Xmas Day/Game Day.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:12 am
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:
    Seahawk Sailor wrote:It'll only reach about 90 here in paradise on Christmas.

Do you LIKE that climate? It must be so humid? Are you based in Philippines on military duty?

Sorry about all the questions! I hate summer with a passion. Grew up on a fruit orchard - busiest time of year was summer, and temps up to 48C/117F. BLUUUEEEYUKKK!

I love it here. Nope, not stationed here. Retired, relaxing, living with my girlfriend, and loving it. I love summer, and it's summer year 'round here. Don't get me wrong; I've spent years in Eastern Washington and Montana. I know what cold winters are like--to the tune of -90 degrees with the wind chill. So cold you can spit and it'll turn to ice before hitting the ground. Yeah, I'll take the Christmas lights on the palm trees most of the time.

Okay, so it's almost a little too hot sometimes, but hey, sacrifices, sacrifices!
    "The ultimate number is W's, and that’s what matters in Santa Clara. As such, Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does." - Paul Gutierrez
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:54 am

Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:31 am
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:I'd love that weather here.

God - each to his own, but WHY? Don't you like your Seattle climate? IF I could, I'd move to Seattle in a heartbeat. We've really committed too much to our house with recent renos, but I'd at least like to move to Tasmania. We were there in October, and it snowed like mad at Cradle Mountain, which is the first time I've ever seen it snowING. I've been in snow 6 feet deep in Paradise, WA - but it was not actually snowing at the time.

I think it's human nature.

When we get cold and rain for 3-4 straight months we'd stab a hobo in the neck with a rusty lawn dart for some warm weather..........and vise versa for you.

Our kids are older, and I've been trying unsuccessfully for 2-3 years now to talk my wife into going to Mexico or Hawaii for Christmas. I'd much rather be on a beach drinking beers than driving to some relative's house for another dysfunctional family holiday.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:39 am

Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:08 pm
  • Houston area of Texas

It's crazy. We're looking at mid 70s with a million % humidity.

Couple days ago we were in high 20s low 30s.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:32 pm
  • Same here in Huntsville, Al. Going to be mid-70s. Wish it were around 90 or so.
    taz291819
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:40 pm
  • It will be 10 degrees on Christmas where I live. That's t-shirt weather compared to the -15 (plus wind chills on top of that) it was a couple days last week.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:09 pm
  • Central Washington here. It's been snowing off and on since last night, currently 0C/32F
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:30 pm
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:God - each to his own, but WHY? Don't you like your Seattle climate? IF I could, I'd move to Seattle in a heartbeat. We've really committed too much to our house with recent renos, but I'd at least like to move to Tasmania. We were there in October, and it snowed like mad at Cradle Mountain, which is the first time I've ever seen it snowING. I've been in snow 6 feet deep in Paradise, WA - but it was not actually snowing at the time.

Love it. :) I've experienced both extremes for years in other parts of the U.S.

Sgt. Largent wrote:I think it's human nature.

When we get cold and rain for 3-4 straight months we'd stab a hobo in the neck with a rusty lawn dart for some warm weather..........and vise versa for you.

It's definitely not "the grass is greener" for me. I've lived in Phoenix and Miami, as well as Wisconsin.

Gimme dat hot weather year 'round. As long as I have A/C inside my home (which I always will), I love the hot weather outside. I can hang outside in that all day every day.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:44 pm
  • We just got out of craploads of snow and a deep freeze.The temps are going way up in the next couple of days.I hate hot weather and extreme cold,I miss the Seattle weather which is very mild compared to the friggin midwest.You come and stay in 85+with extreme humidity during the summer(it sucks)The winter with two different snow types (lake effect) and system snow can get crazy.Throw in a prolonged polar vortex and find out what your made of lol.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:07 pm
  • IndyHawk - a stupid question: are you from Indianapolis, or somewhere in Indiana in general? I ask because Cleveland is the specific location I associate with the "lake effect." Speaking of Cleveland, I don't care for basketball, but was glad the Cavs won a title for the city. Those poor, suffering Browns fans.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Rookie

Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:31 pm
  • On wunderground.com I saw it was -46C/-51F in Verkhoyansk, in northeastern Siberia. "Nearby" (distances so vast there) Oimyakon (the "Pole of Cold") was a balmy -42C/-46F, as was Yakutsk, the coldest major city on the planet, I think. I've always had a dream to visit Siberia, not quite in winter of course! Love to do the Trans-Siberian railroad from Vladivostok to Moscow, stopping (at least) in Irkutsk, where there's Lake Baikal, which holds 20% of the world's fresh water, and I think its clarity is exceeded only by Crater Lake, Oregon, and also the Sukhoi aircraft factory in Irkutsk, which I believe you can visit.

I speak a smattering of Russian: nowhere near enough to be useful, but more than most in Australia! If I'm ever to do this dream, I must resume studies! Almost no-one would speak English, and of course, why should they? I once asked my friend Alex/Sasha, who was born in Novosibirsk, but has lived in America for many years (he's a computer scientist at Cal Poly) if Vladimir Putin spoke English, and he said he does a bit, but very woodenly. I said I would bet George W Bush would speak no Russian and he replied that he can't even spell in English properly. :)
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Rookie

Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:05 pm
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:IndyHawk - a stupid question: are you from Indianapolis, or somewhere in Indiana in general? I ask because Cleveland is the specific location I associate with the "lake effect." Speaking of Cleveland, I don't care for basketball, but was glad the Cavs won a title for the city. Those poor, suffering Browns fans.

Indy is Indiana also..I'm in South Bend and lake effect happens to any of the Great Lakes areas that are further from the lake.The Cavs thing was great and it just so happens my wife is from Akron,Oh.No Sonics=Go Cavs!!!
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:09 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information