Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Question about HDMI from my laptop to the TV

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • So, while I was in San Diego I bought an HDMI cable to connect my laptop to the LCD TV (Vizio) and streamed content etc. no problem. Got home and tried the same thing on both of my big LCD TVs (Sharp Aquos), got great video but no audio. The HDMI output doesn't show up in my list of possible audio playback devices with the Sharp TVs. Tried again with the small Vizio in the bedroom, no problems. Since the HDMI inputs work just fine on the Sharp TVs from the cable boxes and the Blu-ray players, I assume there must be something different with a PC HDMI implementation... It's a fairly new (6 months old) Toshiba laptop running Win 10, yes I tried downloading the latest drivers. I may have an MSEE, but they didn't cover this in college! Looked online, didn't find a lot of help. Any techies in here that can help me stream Amazon Video from my laptop to the big TVs?
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• HDMI on both ends. Should be a pretty standard and easy thing, but I think there's "something" different about how Sharp implements it.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• Is your laptop and TV capable of screen casting? If so ditch the cable and just do it that way. I have no idea why you're not getting any audio through the HDMI on that TV unless the port is bad.
    Annual Adopt a Rookie: Vannett
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

• GeekHawk wrote:HDMI on both ends. Should be a pretty standard and easy thing, but I think there's "something" different about how Sharp implements it.

Maybe they should change their name to Not So Smart.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• GeekHawk wrote:The HDMI output doesn't show up in my list of possible audio playback devices with the Sharp TVs?

In Windows? Or on the actual TV?
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

• In Windows. I believe that this is why the laptop isn't sending audio down the HDMI cable when it's plugged into the (not-so-) Sharp TVs. I figure there must be some sort of HDMI handshake that isn't taking place on the TV's part. Or maybe an incompatible audio bitrate or something.

And no, my Sharp TVs aren't capable of anything wireless. They're of a previous generation, although at 63" and 1080p LCD I'm not keen on ditching them anytime soon. I just wish I could take advantage of what should be a perfectly doable thing. Otherwise I have to watch The Grand Tour on my bedroom TV, instead of on the giant TV from the comfort of my overstuffed leather recliner! (First world problems...)
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• I've had that issue sometimes, depending on the television. Essentially, some of the time, windows doesn't recognize you want to pump the video AND audio through the HDMI cable, and so it doesn't change the default audio settings.

Sometimes pulling the HDMI cable and plugging it back in works, but sometimes you have to go into your audio settings, find your television, and manually change it to the HDMI source.
    "The ultimate number is W's, and that’s what matters in Santa Clara. As such, Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does." - Paul Gutierrez
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• I have 2 hdmi ports on the JVC tv and have not used them yet. Planned on streaming to them. May need to change to a different port. I dunno if I have settings for them ports on the tv or not yet too. Could be ya need to change a setting there too. I dunno.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• If you're getting a picture on the TV from the laptop, the HDCP handshake is working just fine. If Windows isn't detecting it as a valid audio device, try running the HDMI cable from your TV to a different laptop or desktop and see if it pops there; if not, something's probably wrong with the TV, though if that port works for audio from say, a Blu-ray player or cable TV box, then that's odd. See if there's a firmware update available for the TV; but you need to narrow down the issue more, at this point it's impossible to say if it's a TV issue or a laptop issue.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• I had this same issue a couple years ago before I moved. I was doing the exact same thing...hooking my computer into a TV via HDMI. It worked when I first set it up. Then, I formatted my hard drive and reinstalled Windows again, and then I started having the same issue Geek is describing. I never figured it out, but later on I reinstalled Windows again and it worked again. I've ran into problems like that with a lot of things computer related...stuff just magically stops and starts working for apparently no reason at all.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

• Okay, I got it. Even though the HDMI was plug-n-play on multiple TVs and didn't work only on the Sharp Aquos, the fix was still contained in the laptop. The audio driver had several 'sound enhancements' which caused the audio signal to be incompatible with the Sharp TVs. Disabled all audio enhancements in the laptop and voila! Now I can stream The Grand Tour from Amazon video to the big TV. Yay! Thanks for suggestions, all.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• Thanks for sharing the fix Geek. Most appreciated.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• It might be a quirky HDMI cable as well, I"ve had a number that worked with one, didn't with the other.. try another cable, make sure you audio source on your pc is set to your screen. It might have picked it up on the vizio and not on the sharp.. difference in HDMI versions.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• Although/because I had no idea what the solution was, I read this thread to see what I could learn. What a great example of a forum being used to help someone so quickly! Viva Seahawks.net!
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Rookie

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:51 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information