Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Alternative Music Map.

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Alternative Music Map.
Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:17 am

Re: Alternative Music Map.
Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:50 pm
  • I wouldn't call Oingo Alternative either, not sure what I would call them other than completely freaking incredible. Elfman>*
    NoChops
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:22 pm
  • and where is DeVo?
    NoChops
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:35 pm

Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:38 am
  • NoChops wrote:and where is DeVo?

Devo is on there on the left right near Bowie.
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:26 am
  • m0ng0 wrote:I can not stand any of the "big four " they call alternative pioneers.....

Well, I actually HATE one of them. I don't get the big deal about The Smiths, who were NOT founders of the alternative sound. That was actually beginning right before they formed. 1980-1981 was HUGE for early alternative music. The Smiths didn't start up until 1982-1983. Maybe I am just biased because I didn't care for their sound but I also don't consider them "founders" in any way shape or form.
    Joy Division is monumental. They became New Order. A HUGE band for the genre. The Ramones(more rock than Punk) and Sex Pistols(Punk) were also gigantic founders that spawned a huge amount of bands.
    When I go through this graphic, I laugh because I have so much of these bands on my digital library. I guess even I didn't realize how much I love this genre.
    I credit a lot of it to KROQ when I lived in California from 1981-1982. You could not get me off the radio when I lived there.
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:41 am
  • Seahwkgal wrote:I found this kind of cool since I listen to a lot of Alternative music. My only problem with it so far is no Oingo Boingo listed and the Beastie Boys are. The Beastie Boys were, are and will always be Hip Hop. They are not Alternative Rock.
    Anyways, have fun checking this out nonetheless. https://www.wired.com/2016/10/lets-obsess-intricate-map-alt-music-history?mbid=social_fb

idk, as a big Beastie Boys fans I'd say they crossed into the alternative genre.

Rap in it's infancy was exactly what the BB rapped "two turn tables and a microphone." When Rick Rubin got ahold of the Beastie Boys he quickly found out that those guys could not only rap, but play instruments and loved classic rock (thus all the songs with Jimi Hendrix and Led Zeppelin hooks).

Sabotage is the perfect example of the BB being alternative.......heavy guitar riffs, played by them, etc.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:42 am
  • I just realized that Duran Duran is not on this either. What the heck?
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:55 am
  • The thing I love about Alternative music is that it really moves with all genres. The Beastie Boys did cross over to somewhat Alternative in their later years but they always had the Hip Hop flow. Blondie did record the first top 10 rap record in history with Rapture. Harry gave homage to Fab 5 Freddy in the song. You can hear some hip hop bass in some NIN songs. Most notably in the song "Down In It" from Pretty Hate Machine. Oingo Boingo, is a crazy mix of a lot of different genres and that is why I don't understand why anyone would not consider them Alternative. THEY WERE!!! You can hear rock, punk, new wave, and ska in their sound.
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:06 am
  • Seahwkgal wrote:I just realized that Duran Duran is not on this either. What the heck?

I'm a child of the 80's, and have a warm place in my heart for bands like Duran Duran..........even have seen them in concert twice. But IMO they don't belong on this chart.

They were made famous by one thing and one thing only, MTV. New Wave, poppy with model good looks for all the chicks.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:22 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Seahwkgal wrote:I just realized that Duran Duran is not on this either. What the heck?

I'm a child of the 80's, and have a warm place in my heart for bands like Duran Duran..........even have seen them in concert twice. But IMO they don't belong on this chart.

They were made famous by one thing and one thing only, MTV. New Wave, poppy with model good looks for all the chicks.

Yeah, Duran Duran to me is just an English Pop band.

Depeche Mode made the list and probably covered that spot for them.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:26 am
  • But new wave is alternative if you ask me. Notice how the new wave types fall under the Joy Division/New Order line. I would have put Duran Duran in this grouping. FWIW, I listen to a lot of new wave types. I think I have every Depeche Mode song. lol
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:28 am
  • After looking at the chart, I would replace The Smiths with David Bowie in the big 4. Then it would be perfect. :2thumbs:
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:28 pm
  • That is one confusing chart- pretty cool though!
    nategreat
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:45 am
  • Seahwkgal wrote:But new wave is alternative if you ask me. Notice how the new wave types fall under the Joy Division/New Order line. I would have put Duran Duran in this grouping. FWIW, I listen to a lot of new wave types. I think I have every Depeche Mode song. lol

New Wave was a term coined to describe the British pop scene in the late 70's and 80's. Some of those bands had their roots in punk, but it was 90% pop. I compare it to bands like Poison and Warrant being called "Metal" or "Hard Rock."

There is a difference IMO.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:36 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information