Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Android problems

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Android problems
Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:15 pm
  • .....so boy did I make a mistake in Vegas. Oh..this one is about the android. Well I let someone else upgrade my phone to the newest operating system which is Droid 2.2.3. And then I cant get a secure connection. Cant check into my flight status on airlines or nuthin. So I talk online for about 2 hours with helpdesks....and then talk on the phone with some help desk people from my service provider and then the maker of the phone. Then search online on my computer for fix actions for this particular problem. And then finally just take a nap and let my mind wander. I finally upgraded the google play and was able to get some stuff to work.

Data connectivity problem..... a secure connection could not be established. This was my issue on the phone.

Then was searching the web for a browser that would be compatible with my situation. Finally got to a site that gave me some data on one of the browsers that seem to do things for me. And I downloaded it. I used that one to get a secure connection in nothing flat. I am so happy I did not have to Go back to factory settings as I am not sure if my backup for phone numbers is still valid or not.

Opera Mini

It is an application browser that can be downloaded to the android I use. By the way it is an Android X2. So when I look up something on my phone, it comes with a menu that asks which browser I want to use to look up something. I push the icon for Opera mini from now on and I should be ok.

Now, what brought me to upgrade the operating system in the phone was that I wanted to put Uber on the phone, but it was not compatible. So I was told about Lyft...and it also is not compatible. So the upgrade happened and I did not anticipate issues with secure connectivity. So not sure if I want to risk the connectivity of putting those 2 apps on my phone or not. Anyone else with wisdom on this would be appreciated.

Finally.....Thank you for reading this and I hope you learn from my mistake.

Edit...adding a link to the problems answer...About middle of the page.

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=8558
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Re: Android problems
Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:21 pm
  • What phone do you have precisely, again?
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:26 pm
  • IDK bro.

I've been using iPhone since I got my daughters first one as a hand me down.
    Not necessarily a fan, it's just what I'm used to.
    Never really had any huge issues. The one time I did, they replaced my phone on the spot.

Hoping that you get some help here.
    Best-o-luck.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:45 pm
  • I think he's using a phone that's like five years old, which is largely the problem.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:58 pm
  • Yeah if you just got to Froyo it might be time for a hardware upgrade.

OTOH, if you did just get to Froyo then congrats on holding out so long. That's actually impressive. I think I got my Froyo update pre-Beast Quake.
    Image Always been a Seahawks fan
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:37 pm
  • Just go buy the new Pixel, Fan80; it'll get updates for a long time and it's a well-made phone.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:22 pm
  • Pixel looks like an iPhone... why bother?
    "Go for Broke" - 442nd Japanese-American Battalion

Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

"YOU POST...TO WIN...thethread." JesterHawk
    sammyc521
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:35 pm
  • sammyc521 wrote:Pixel looks like an iPhone... why bother?

Relevant how?

I guess if all you care about in life is looks, then it's an important question.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:38 am
  • Dude is looking for help.

ZERO reason to turn this into a Ford vs Chevy debate.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:24 am
  • pmedic920 wrote:Dude is looking for help.

This was mostly an INformational learning experience that I could let other people know about.

I have an Android X2 which is in the OP. I upgraded the Operating System to 2.2.3. (Ok, it was not me that upgraded it. It was the redheaded chick in the bar that did it to me....phone.) That was a problem as my google search became UNSECURE. For example, to access Southwest airlines, I have to go secure. I could not. I could not get to the site to get my boarding pass the morning before taking off. No secure site, no access. However, I could go to unsecure sites like google, or wiki or some other informational sites.

And in the OP, I gave the answer as downloading a working Search engine that works. The reason it works is because it goes to the server that uses that engine to search and not the user's phone as the search engine. Or maybe it was a remote location away from the phone to search. I cant remember but it was in the link. They recommended that site that is in the OP or another like Mozilla firefox 5 or somesuch that is in the link provided.

I did not know there were different methods used to utilize search engines. I thought they all used the same methodology. I learned something. Old dawgs can learn new trix. Or is it trix are for kids......????

Thanks for the information tho. I may use it later if I have to upgrade.

And would Lyft or Uber be compatible with it without messing up the Current system. I dont know. Probably should go to the Motorola peeps again for their system???
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:04 am
  • Well, Lyft is not compatible with my programming. 2.2.3 is not compatible as 4.0 or better is required.

Uber is compatible tho. Dunno if I want to give them my cc data tho.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:08 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:Dude is looking for help.

Did you even read the OP, or did you just glance at the thread title and replies and pass judgment on us? He didn't ask for help, or ask any questions.

@Fan80: In all seriousness, with an Android version that old, it's only a matter of time (and probably not a lot more time) before some key apps you use lose compatibility with the version of Android that you're on. I'd recommend upgrading to a new phone before you get stuck in a bad spot because of it.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:41 pm
  • Seahawkfan80 wrote:Well, Lyft is not compatible with my programming. 2.2.3 is not compatible as 4.0 or better is required.

Uber is compatible tho. Dunno if I want to give them my cc data tho.

If you don't mind using an older phone, you can get something like the Moto X Pure (what the Nexus 6 is modeled after).

https://www.amazon.com/Moto-Pure-Unlock ... B013SGP23M

It runs $300 and while not stock-stock android, it won't have any issues running your apps.

Running Lollipop so it's recent enough.

There's lot of phones in this price range and it kind of depends on what you want. I personally feel that the Pixel is now marked the same price as many other phones that will rank similarly. They offered high-end phones at more moderate prices when it was the Nexus brand and the G brand.
    "Go for Broke" - 442nd Japanese-American Battalion

Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

"YOU POST...TO WIN...thethread." JesterHawk
    sammyc521
    NET Veteran

It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:19 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information