Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Cutting the Cable cord

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Cutting the Cable cord
Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:36 am
  • I know there is a previous thread about Sling TV but I thought it might be cool to discuss the various ways people are cutting their dependence on Cable. I am in the process of ditching Comcast Xfinity for both my Cable and my Internet.

It's not that I am unhappy with Comcast, but it's just too expensive. I currently pay $200/mo for Cable and Internet. This includes HBO. I think I can cut my cost to 1/2 of that and am doing the following:

1. Purchased an Amazon FireTV Stick ($50) to be my main streaming device. Have tested this out and it works fairly well, though the response to the remote is somewhat sluggish. Will purchase additional Sticks as needed or will cast to other TV's using my existing Google Chromecast.

2. Tried out Playstation Vue on the FireTV stick, which offers streaming TV content similar to Sling TV (no playstation required). I like it a lot. Good interface, DVR capability and great channel selection for $45 per month. I will be going forward with this once I cancel my Comcast subscription next month. The downside is that the only way to watch NFL football is on ESPN and the NFL Network channels. So the CBS and NBC games are not available :(

3. Will be switching back to Frontier FIOS for my internet. I used to have FIOS and it seemed faster than my current Comcast service. I can get it for $40 per month.

4. HBO Subscription will be done directly with HBO at $15 per month

5. Purchased an AmazonBasics OTA Antenna for $14 from Amazon. It's fantastic and gives me access to the CBS and NBC football games. No DVR capability, though.

So, to summarize, I have spent the following in equipment costs:
    -- $65 for OTA Antenna and Amazon FireTV Stick

And will be paying the following for service on a monthly basis:
    -- $45 for Playstation Vue Service
    -- $15 for HBO standalone
    -- $40 for FIOS Internet service

My total per month will be reduced to $100

On top of that I can add Netflix ($10 per month) or Hulu ($6 per month) as needed and still be way ahead of the game. It will definitely be less convenient than Xfinity, which assembles everything together in one fairly nice interface. However, I just can't abide spending so much on television.

I may have to give up watching Mariners Home games as well, as Root Sports is not streamable. Am planning on getting MLB.tv so I can stream the out of market games, but I imagine that things will sort themselves out as streaming becomes more popular.

Anyone else doing some interesting cord-cutting?
    Fire Tom Cable
    xgeoff
    NET Veteran

Re: Cutting the Cable cord
Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:14 pm
  • My problem with trying to cut the cord is all these end around ideas like the Firestick, Chromecast, etc is they require Wifi, which means still needing Comcast or Century Link...........which means they screw you into getting cable, phone and internet cause it's cheaper to do all three, rather than pay $75 a month JUST for the right speed of internet.

I have a cabin in Yelm, and I've been trying to get my Chromecast to work without Wifi and mirrorcast on my phone, unsuccessfully. It's like no idea exists where you can say "JUST USE MY PHONE'S DATA I DON'T HAVE INTERNET!"

It's like all these companies can't fathom anyone trying to use their product without WiFi.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:46 pm
  • I went with the digital antenna for Seahawk games ($140ish) , Apple TV ($140ish again) , Hulu (8.95 per month) , Netflix ($10.95 per month) and Comcast internet ($61.00 per month)

So after the initial expense, I'm at $80.90 per month when before we were at around $200 per month. Don't miss cable and all those channels whatsoever.
    hedgehawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:05 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:My problem with trying to cut the cord is all these end around ideas like the Firestick, Chromecast, etc is they require Wifi, which means still needing Comcast or Century Link...........which means they screw you into getting cable, phone and internet cause it's cheaper to do all three, rather than pay $75 a month JUST for the right speed of internet.

I have a cabin in Yelm, and I've been trying to get my Chromecast to work without Wifi and mirrorcast on my phone, unsuccessfully. It's like no idea exists where you can say "JUST USE MY PHONE'S DATA I DON'T HAVE INTERNET!"

It's like all these companies can't fathom anyone trying to use their product without WiFi.

I don't know if your phone or your phone plan support this, but I can spin up a wifi hotspot with my phone and use my phone's data for my laptop or ipad whenever I want. This should also work for chromecast, I would think. Have you tried that?
    Fire Tom Cable
    xgeoff
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:31 pm
  • xgeoff wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:My problem with trying to cut the cord is all these end around ideas like the Firestick, Chromecast, etc is they require Wifi, which means still needing Comcast or Century Link...........which means they screw you into getting cable, phone and internet cause it's cheaper to do all three, rather than pay $75 a month JUST for the right speed of internet.

I don't know if your phone or your phone plan support this, but I can spin up a wifi hotspot with my phone and use my phone's data for my laptop or ipad whenever I want. This should also work for chromecast, I would think. Have you tried that?

Hotspot plans though have a cap. At least most that I know of. You can increase them but it comes at a cost. I have Sprint with a 3GB monthly hotspot for an extra $20 a month for work. You'd be surprised how fast that is consumed. Especially when Windows decides to download an update in the background. Or if you leave your browser or email client open. There is continually data being exchanged between your system and your applications with online services, checking for updates or whatever. And it all counts towards the meter. Also I think only Verizon has voice over data that allows you to talk and surf at the same time. Whenever I get a call I get disconnected from the internet.
    Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.
    FearTheBeak
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:52 pm
  • My plan, if I can get the HD antenna to pick up Fox, CBS and NBC (havent been able to pick up all 3 at once yet) is this.

HD Antenna (I got for free)
    SlingTV (20$ a month just for ESPN)
    AndroidTV box with Kodi app for all my movies and TV shows, no subscription, 40$ for the box.

60$ a month for Hughesnet satellite internet (only option)
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:55 pm
  • FearTheBeak wrote:
    xgeoff wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:My problem with trying to cut the cord is all these end around ideas like the Firestick, Chromecast, etc is they require Wifi, which means still needing Comcast or Century Link...........which means they screw you into getting cable, phone and internet cause it's cheaper to do all three, rather than pay $75 a month JUST for the right speed of internet.

Hotspot plans though have a cap. At least most that I know of. You can increase them but it comes at a cost. I have Sprint with a 3GB monthly hotspot for an extra $20 a month for work. You'd be surprised how fast that is consumed. Especially when Windows decides to download an update in the background. Or if you leave your browser or email client open. There is continually data being exchanged between your system and your applications with online services, checking for updates or whatever. And it all counts towards the meter. Also I think only Verizon has voice over data that allows you to talk and surf at the same time. Whenever I get a call I get disconnected from the internet.

Try the FoxFi app. It might not work with ATT or your phone but worth a shot, it works for me. It will use your phones data without paying extra for wifi hotspot.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:12 am
  • FearTheBeak wrote:
    xgeoff wrote:

My android can do the hotspot thing too. I do not do that tho because of the cost in the long run. Also, if your Phone does not have all the receiver bars maxed out, then it is always looking for stronger signal reception. Burns Gb and Battery. Some of them companies talk about speed, but dont talk about how much data streaming costs. I have 5gb data on my phone for 10 per month. I have unlimited on my computer data Card. If I dont have at least 3 bars receiver information, then the speed drops to dialup. While up hunting, we were lucky to see 3 bars until we got to the top of the world mountain where we were at. Most of the time we had 1 bar or less, so wifi was void. We were not there for job work, but for fun work if you get my meaning. The cabins we stayed at did not have tv or radio. NO RECEPTION. So 3 nights without NFL including all day Sunday......Yes I am still here. Whew.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:59 am
  • xgeoff wrote:

This is my next try, but it requires two devices and one hour of streaming Netflix through a hotspot uses 1G of data, so we'd have to upgrade data, which is also another $25 a month.

I'd like to just mirror off my phone without any of this nonsense, but the TV and Chromecast want a network.

Just seems silly that not one tech company has thought that people might just want to connect to their TV, laptop, iPad, etc and just stream through their data without some complicated end around.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:38 pm
  • I just signed up for Sling for 3 months (free Roku 2 offer!) and one thing I will caution on, they're plans don't build on each other. They have an orange and a blue plan and then the option to have both. There is some overlap between them but not much. So if you're wanting ESPN (which I did) pay attention because it is only in one of the plans (don't remember the color, but it's the $20 a month, not the $25 a month one). If you go with the $40 a month plan you get both groups of channels.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:05 pm
  • Yeah the blue plan (20$) has ESPN but not NFL Network. The orange plan (25$) has NFL Network but not ESPN.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:22 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information