Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Comcast hit with FCC’s biggest cable fine ever

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Comcast is being forced to pay the largest fine the FCC has ever levied against a cable operator. Its offense: Charging customers for services and equipment they didn’t ask for.

The company agreed to pay a $2.3 million civil penalty and to submit to a “compliance plan,” in which regulators will monitor Comcast for the next five years to ensure it cleans up its act.

“It is basic that a cable bill should include charges only for services and equipment ordered by the customer — nothing more and nothing less,” Travis LeBlanc, chief of the FCC’s Enforcement Bureau, said in a statement.

The FCC said it received over 1,000 complaints from customers, who said Comcast charged them for premium channels, cable boxes, DVRs or other products that they never ordered.

In many cases, the FCC said, customers expressly told Comcast that they didn’t want the add-on options, but they were charged anyway.

Complaints also describe how customers spent “significant time and energy to attempt to remove the unauthorized charges” and get refunds, the commission said.

http://q13fox.com/2016/10/11/comcast-hi ... fine-ever/
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• Comcast said Tuesday that it does not agree with the commission’s decision to take legal action, but the company admitted it’s fallen short in terms of customer service.

“In our view, after two years, it is telling that [the FCC] found no problematic policy or intentional wrongdoing, but just isolated errors or customer confusion,” the company’s statement reads. It added, “We agree those issues should be fixed and are pleased to put this behind us and proceed with these customer service-enhancing changes.”

I like how they write off 1,000+ complaints of the same thing as "Isolated errors or customer confusion" yet agree to pay a hefty fine, along with oversight and not be able to send disputed bills to collection.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• kidhawk wrote:
    Comcast said Tuesday that it does not agree with the commission’s decision to take legal action, but the company admitted it’s fallen short in terms of customer service.

“In our view, after two years, it is telling that [the FCC] found no problematic policy or intentional wrongdoing, but just isolated errors or customer confusion,” the company’s statement reads. It added, “We agree those issues should be fixed and are pleased to put this behind us and proceed with these customer service-enhancing changes.”

I like how they write off 1,000+ complaints of the same thing as "Isolated errors or customer confusion" yet agree to pay a hefty fine, along with oversight and not be able to send disputed bills to collection.

Really nice victim blaming there too with that "customer confusion" comment. Sure Comcast, you didn't do anything wrong, it's just that your customers are confused. :roll:

The thing is, they are confused as to why they are being charged for shit they didn't order and don't want. They are also confused as to why it is such a massive undertaking to get the "isolated errors" corrected. Of course these things are intentional, are you kidding me? Comcast knows damn well that some people won't notice the extra charges and some others just won't deal with trying to get the charges reversed. Then they make the process of dealing with their customer service a time consuming, frustrating, and extremely unpleasant experience by design so people will just give up. These things are absolutely by design to increase profits. And they work. And that's why Comcast and other large companies do this crap and will continue to do crap like this until there are consequences that actually hurt.

Things like this are why so many people hate large corporations. Most of them will do anything, however illegal or unethical, to boost their already massive profits and they will give zero shits who gets hurt.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• Man, I moved recently and had always just moved with friends who already had a plan. What an absolute nightmare.

First time ordering - the price changed for my bundle on the website AFTER I added it to my checkout (about $20 more a month). Customer service tells me whatever I choose it will be. Thought it was sketchy so I went with a different plan. Week goes by, no word from them. I call - oh yeah sorry looks like your order was received online but no one processed it. We'll get it right out to you.

Three days later I check and it hasn't been shipped. I call again, they say it was never packaged to be shipped on their end. "This sometimes happens and orders forget to be placed." They tell me it'll be going out that night.

It finally gets delivered a day late, comes with my modem still linked to the previous owners account and I didn't receive a cable box, only the adapter that allows multiple boxes in one house. It takes two hours on the phone for them to realize I didn't have wifi access cause they hadn't wiped it yet and they'll send me a correct cable box overnight free of charge. She then literally asks me if I could go to the website and give her a 5 star rating. Offered a free installation from a tech, obviously declined it cause I know they would end up charging the $60.00 fee anyways.

The next day, I get TWO cable boxes delivered. I go and return the other at the local store and he says he's glad I returned it cause I may get charged. Even though I never ordered two.....They probably forgot to remove the first order which was never sent and just sent both.

Bill comes in for that month, I get charged PRIORITY SHIPPING of $30.00 each (which they said would be covered for all these issues) for both modems as well as initial self-setup fees of $15.00 for both cable boxes. After another hour+ phone call I was able to get all these extra fees removed.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

• I have found your much better off going directly to your local store in dealing with them, also if you did stuff on the internet to order it does not always translate to the business office, spent 2 yrs working that one out, why I said local stores with you there works better, that inadvertent disconnect and having another rep on when you call back to start over isn't an accident.

One last thing, always get whomever you talk to name, employee ID, job title, and date and subject talked about when you do call. You get better service, they have to use that when they note your file for records so you can have that looked at if what happened wasn't what was typed in etc.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• A parking ticket hurts my wallet worse than this fine hurts Comcast. They'll just laugh and continue onward with the same practice.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Comcast has got to be the worst company to ever exist.
    nategreat
    NET Veteran

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:42 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information