Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

A helpful Health guide

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
A helpful Health guide
Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:41 am

Re: A helpful Health guide
Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:35 am
  • I listened to the presentation...Good stuff Rob. Of course you can't fast forward as no doubt there is a sale pitch at the end but I do believe this is valid information. Here's the basic synopsis to save you guys the 15+ minutes...

Harmful food:

Yogurt (Way too much sugar in most)

Wheat Bread (High Fructose Corn Syrup is the devil)

Cereal Bars (sugar, corn syrup)

Carb you should NEVER eat: Olestra / Olean (Blocks body from absorbing essential vitamins A, D, E, K)

Fat Loss Killers:

Food Preservatives

Candida overgrowth feasts on sugar

Overeating (duh)

Fat Loss Helpers:

Take these digestive enzymes with each meal: Lipase, Amylase, Bromelain

High Grade Probiotics for healthy digestion and immune system

Carlalluma Fimbriata (root that reduces appetite)

I do agree with these things and that the real key to long term health and weight loss is cutting out processed foods and sugars, diet sodas, food preservatives and so forth. The American diet is saturated in sugars and carbs hence why we are the fattest nation in the country.

I've started a lifestyle change 6 weeks ago...The majority of my meals now consists of lean proteins like chicken, fish, turkey as well as dark green vegetables, raw nuts, eggs, Quinoa and some fruits. I avoid processed and starchy carbs and sugar like the plague except on reward days where I can have some wine and reward foods this keeps me from going off track.

I'm leaning towards a Mediterranean lifestyle which I am discovering I really enjoy. Probably the biggest surprise to me in these past 6 weeks is how my cravings for carbs and sugar dwindle by the week. I don't feel like I am on a diet, in fact I really love the foods I am eating now.

This mixed with moderate exercise (hiking, jogging, walking) at least 5 days a week has really helped me lose my gut I developed over the past few years of bad lifestyle choices. One thing I've noticed is unlike a crash or fad diet, the weight loss is gradual, not quick (and temporary). I don't look much different yet (minus the gut that no longer looks like I am 7 months pregnant) but I know what I am doing is for the rest of my life. I've lost over 12 pounds and I'm just getting started and I am feeling MUCH better overall than I was before.

There are three certainties in life. Death, taxes and the perpetual shuffling of the Seattle Seahawks offensive line.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:14 am
  • Aros wrote:I listened to the presentation...Good stuff Rob. Of course you can't fast forward as no doubt there is a sale pitch at the end but I do believe this is valid information. Here's the basic synopsis to save you guys the 15+ minutes...

Harmful food:

Yogurt (Way too much sugar in most)

Wheat Bread (High Fructose Corn Syrup is the devil)

Cereal Bars (sugar, corn syrup)

Carb you should NEVER eat: Olestra / Olean (Blocks body from absorbing essential vitamins A, D, E, K)

Fat Loss Killers:

Food Preservatives

Candida overgrowth feasts on sugar

Overeating (duh)

Fat Loss Helpers:

Take these digestive enzymes with each meal: Lipase, Amylase, Bromelain

High Grade Probiotics for healthy digestion and immune system

Carlalluma Fimbriata (root that reduces appetite)

I do agree with these things and that the real key to long term health and weight loss is cutting out processed foods and sugars, diet sodas, food preservatives and so forth. The American diet is saturated in sugars and carbs hence why we are the fattest nation in the country.

I've started a lifestyle change 6 weeks ago...The majority of my meals now consists of lean proteins like chicken, fish, turkey as well as dark green vegetables, raw nuts, eggs, Quinoa and some fruits. I avoid processed and starchy carbs and sugar like the plague except on reward days where I can have some wine and reward foods this keeps me from going off track.

I'm leaning towards a Mediterranean lifestyle which I am discovering I really enjoy. Probably the biggest surprise to me in these past 6 weeks is how my cravings for carbs and sugar dwindle by the week. I don't feel like I am on a diet, in fact I really love the foods I am eating now.

This mixed with moderate exercise (hiking, jogging, walking) at least 5 days a week has really helped me lose my gut I developed over the past few years of bad lifestyle choices. One thing I've noticed is unlike a crash or fad diet, the weight loss is gradual, not quick (and temporary). I don't look much different yet (minus the gut that no longer looks like I am 7 months pregnant) but I know what I am doing is for the rest of my life. I've lost over 12 pounds and I'm just getting started and I am feeling MUCH better overall than I was before.

Explain what you mean by dark green veggies. I have a quite a few acorn squash. Would those be like what you are talking about? They are intermixed with my tomatoes.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:27 am
  • Quit beer, replaced my bored/leisure/stress calories with ... uh... Quit Beer.

Dropped 20lbs or so in a few weeks, back at my mid-20's baseline. Used to just be a tiny bit of cutting to hit Lightweight... I'd say I could stand to drop another five, but that would involve not slacking around doing computer work 60 hours a week (Which, of course, also involves grabbing whatever junk crap I can stuff in my face at the desk).

Still, 20 pounds makes a visible dent on a 5'9" ectomorphic frame.
    TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:31 am
  • Weight loss is achieved by one thing, and one thing only: burning more calories than you consume.

That's it. Every successful weight-loss diet results from that, whether it's healthier eating combined with exercise to burn said calories, or just dieting alone enough so that you still burn more calories than you take in.

If people want to discuss which foods are healthier than others, cool, but let's not mix that up with the topic of weight loss; because you can eat nothing but Twinkies every day and lose weight perfectly fine, IF you burn more calories than you take in via said Twinkies. You can't be healthy over time from that obviously, but the topics of healthy eating versus weight loss are two different subjects and should not be combined into one.

Also, can we stop with the "preservatives are bad" thing? Which preservatives do you feel are bad? Please provide some evidence. Cavemen were using a little preservative you may have heard of called salt many thousands of years ago to make it last longer. You can't just say "preservatives are bad," it's a blanket statement that is beyond already having been proven untrue.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:50 am
  • Seahawkfan80 wrote:Explain what you mean by dark green veggies. I have a quite a few acorn squash. Would those be like what you are talking about? They are intermixed with my tomatoes.

Broccoli is my number one go-to. Massive power food. Spinach, kale, Romaine Lettuce...Basically the darker the green the better it is for you. Obviously any vegetable in your diet is good for you but I gravitate towards the darker greens as they tend to have the most nutrients and benefits.

There are three certainties in life. Death, taxes and the perpetual shuffling of the Seattle Seahawks offensive line.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:53 am
  • TravTex wrote:Quit beer, replaced my bored/leisure/stress calories with ... uh... Quit Beer.

Dropped 20lbs or so in a few weeks, back at my mid-20's baseline. Used to just be a tiny bit of cutting to hit Lightweight... I'd say I could stand to drop another five, but that would involve not slacking around doing computer work 60 hours a week (Which, of course, also involves grabbing whatever junk crap I can stuff in my face at the desk).

Still, 20 pounds makes a visible dent on a 5'9" ectomorphic frame.

Nicely done Trav. My number one blocker to ultimate health is excessive wine consumption on weekends (especially football in the Fall!). No doubt about it. I've made some cut backs but I can always do better. And as we know, the older we get it's exponentially harder to lose weight and keep it off. That's why I can't and will not look at this as a diet. It's a lifestyle change. It's the only way for long term success for me.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:59 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Weight loss is achieved by one thing, and one thing only: burning more calories than you consume.

That's it. Every successful weight-loss diet results from that, whether it's healthier eating combined with exercise to burn said calories, or just dieting alone enough so that you still burn more calories than you take in.

If people want to discuss which foods are healthier than others, cool, but let's not mix that up with the topic of weight loss; because you can eat nothing but Twinkies every day and lose weight perfectly fine, IF you burn more calories than you take in via said Twinkies. You can't be healthy over time from that obviously, but the topics of healthy eating versus weight loss are two different subjects and should not be combined into one.

Also, can we stop with the "preservatives are bad" thing? Which preservatives do you feel are bad? Please provide some evidence. Cavemen were using a little preservative you may have heard of called salt many thousands of years ago to make it last longer. You can't just say "preservatives are bad," it's a blanket statement that is beyond already having been proven untrue.

Salt is, like, the WORST of the preservatives.
    TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:17 pm
  • TravTex wrote:Salt is, like, the WORST of the preservatives.

Eat a diet with no salt and you will die.

Salt's needed for the human body to survive. If you want to discuss negative effects of excessive salt intake, then by all means, let's do it; but ridiculous and untrue unilateral statements help absolutely no one.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:34 pm
  • Of course salt is necessary in our bodies for survival, it's the crazy stupid amounts many of us put in our bodies which is the problem. I LOVE salt. I will take salty chips/food over sugary sweets every moment of every day. But one of the big paradigm shifts for me is the need to greatly reduce my salt intake so now I use natural seasonings/peppers to season my food and very rarely will I add salt to a meal unless it just needs it.

Another thing is oil. I use extra virgin olive oil on damn near everything now. Salads, cooking proteins, you name it.

And finally water. I drink a gallon of water every day. It sounds like a lot but it really isn't. I have a 32 ounce glass I fill up 4 times a day at least. Drink one by 10am, another by noon, another by 4pm and another by 8pm.
    Last edited by Aros on Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:35 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Weight loss is achieved by one thing, and one thing only: burning more calories than you consume.

It's funny how people act like its rocket science.
    Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
    ZorntoLargent
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:36 pm
  • Aros wrote:And finally water. I drink a gallon of water every day. It sounds like a lot but it really isn't. I have a 32 glass I fill up 4 times a day at least. Drink one by 10am, another by noon, another by 4pm and another by 8pm.

I drink nearly that much diet soda every day.

Aros wrote:Of course salt is necessary in our bodies for survival, it's the crazy stupid amounts many of us put in our bodies which is the problem.

Yeah, but this follows true to literally every substance and chemical on the planet. Too much of ANYTHING will kill you, including water. Somewhat ironically considering this conversation, you remember that lady that died from the radio water drinking contest like five or even years back? She drank so much plain water so quickly it caused an electrolyte and salt imbalance so drastic, it killed her.

Look up the term "LD50"; it stands for live or die at 50%, meaning, it's the amount of something you have to ingest, or be exposed to, or whatever where 50% of the subjects die from it. Everything in existence has an LD50; caffeine, water, you name it. It's truly fascinating to see how "un-toxic" some things are, and how bad others are which don't have accurate representations in people's minds.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:43 pm

Wired this way?

Pedantic means "like a pedant," someone who's too concerned with literal accuracy or formality. It's a negative term that implies someone is showing off book learning or trivia, especially in a tiresome way.
    “A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:00 pm
  • DTex, that may be your opinion, and if so, I'd be curious to hear your explanation as to why you apparently disagree with the assessment that healthy eating and eating to lose weight are the same thing.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:01 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    TravTex wrote:Salt is, like, the WORST of the preservatives.

Eat a diet with no salt and you will die.

Salt's needed for the human body to survive. If you want to discuss negative effects of excessive salt intake, then by all means, let's do it; but ridiculous and untrue unilateral statements help absolutely no one.

We might have a different threshold for when something's obviously intended in jest. (Although you do identify that it's a ridiculous and untrue unilateral statement, which IS one of my standard 'trying to be funny' hooks.)

Back on semi-seriousness... Excess sodium IS one of my Roads to Death. I figure I'm doing well enough by actively trying to avoid it. It's an exercise in futility in my household. I break out the BBQ Night with some premium salt-free blend, you'd think I'm trying to serve up cardboard cutlets to the people 'round here.
    TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:08 pm
  • Doesn't surprise me, Trev. When I had to live in Wisconsin, I swear the average person there used more salt in cooking than anything else. They even salted their BEER. They'd order up a pint of Miller and shake some salt right into it.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:57 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Doesn't surprise me, Trev. When I had to live in Wisconsin, I swear the average person there used more salt in cooking than anything else. They even salted their BEER. They'd order up a pint of Miller and shake some salt right into it.

That is the only way to make Miller beer taste good. Hmph..... :stirthepot:
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:07 pm
  • Aros wrote:
    Seahawkfan80 wrote:Explain what you mean by dark green veggies. I have a quite a few acorn squash. Would those be like what you are talking about? They are intermixed with my tomatoes.

Broccoli is my number one go-to. Massive power food. Spinach, kale, Romaine Lettuce...Basically the darker the green the better it is for you. Obviously any vegetable in your diet is good for you but I gravitate towards the darker greens as they tend to have the most nutrients and benefits.

All of those are decent veggies. Broc Spinach lettuce are awesome. Working on doing Kale next year. Probably growing spinach inside this winter. I love it that much.

Most of the squashes need help for edibility. I dont see too much need with acorn squash. Tastes pretty good as is. Butternut squash needs sweetening...brown sugar and cinnamon. Mush up some zuke squash to help a bread. That is what I was thinking..

Oh...and what Iro said up there is true. Take in less carbs and burn more carbs you lose weight. Lifestyle changes work well too if that is what you really want to do. I do understand that one too. I need to do some of the same. I need to get back to myself. I had a metabolism that would run people wild, now not so much. I have gotten a bit more pudgy...and dont like it. I am gonna continue doing some sitting curls to make my center stronger and slimmer. It should work with the workout I have planned. Inside bike works well with something to watch on tv.....way before that commercial one on tv. Ugh.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:07 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:DTex, that may be your opinion, and if so, I'd be curious to hear your explanation as to why you apparently disagree with the assessment that healthy eating and eating to lose weight are the same thing.

Since I neither agreed nor disagreed with anything you posted, this post makes little sense.
    “A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:39 am
  • Count me in the crowd that says healthy eating and weight loss are not one in the same. I lost 35 pounds in about 4 months and kept it off for the last 3 months solely by counting calories and doing very little exercise. Usually about once a week I'll walk about 10,000 steps while on a job site, but other than that I'm basically chained to a desk.

I just downloaded the Lose It app, set my current weight, set my weight loss goal and strictly adhered to the daily/weekly calorie limit they provided me. The app is pretty nice and lets you scan the barcode of a food you're eating and it automatically enters the nutritional information. Out of pure laziness, again barely did any exercise, I found it easier to just eat things with a barcode. It didn't matter what it was, as long as I stuck to the right amount of calories.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:08 am
  • Seahawkfan80 wrote:
    Explain what you mean by dark green veggies. I have a quite a few acorn squash. Would those be like what you are talking about? They are intermixed with my tomatoes.

They're called cruciferous veggies............kale, cabbage, brussels sprouts and other green leafy veggies.

Really well done video, thanks for sharing!

Sugar is the big one with me. I eat healthy and work out all the time, but man do I love my sugar. So I won't argue, it is as bad as hard drugs to kick.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:54 pm
  • The older I get exercise is not as much about losing weight as it is for good cardio/heart health. Not that it's a guarantee of course but exercise in conjunction with proper nutrition are two major keys to help keep you healthy as you age.

Again, no guarantees (as I say the only guarantee in life is that there are no guarantees in life) but I am a big believer that they can give you a huge boost and advantage as you age.

Now if I could give up my wine then I would really be on to something. :irishdrinkers:

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:02 pm
  • DTexHawk wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:DTex, that may be your opinion, and if so, I'd be curious to hear your explanation as to why you apparently disagree with the assessment that healthy eating and eating to lose weight are the same thing.

Since I neither agreed nor disagreed with anything you posted, this post makes little sense.

It's pretty funny how you accuse me of pedantism, I then make an easy inference from your post and reply to that, and now all of a sudden my post makes little sense.

Why am I not surprised at you, DTex? :)
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:33 pm
  • Actually the original article and video I linked to was more geared to digestive problems. A LOT of people have them.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:46 am
  • Is healthy eating and losing weight, two different topics? Sure. In the example, could you eat a caloric deficit in nothing but Twinkies and Coke, and lose weight? Yep.

But could you lose fat, while building or maintaining muscle with with Twinkie diet? I'd like to see that. :stirthepot:

I don't know about you guys, I don't wanna lose weight, I wanna lose fat and build muscle. What's the point of being skinny fat.
    Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you’ll give and tears you’ll cry, and all you touch and all you see Is all your life will ever be
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:51 am
  • The best way to start is exercise in my life experience. If you are on meds then you have a lack of probiotic influence which is vital for body functions. GOOD probiotics with a lot of strains are extremely useful in helping the body get rid of waste, and to process food.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:59 am
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:Is healthy eating and losing weight, two different topics? Sure. In the example, could you eat a caloric deficit in nothing but Twinkies and Coke, and lose weight? Yep.

But could you lose fat, while building or maintaining muscle with with Twinkie diet? I'd like to see that. :stirthepot:

I don't know about you guys, I don't wanna lose weight, I wanna lose fat and build muscle. What's the point of being skinny fat.

:2thumbs:

I have 100+ clients worth of anecdotal evidence of exactly this.
    Anguish
    * NET Co-Owner *

Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:23 pm

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:57 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information