Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

PacNW Relocation Scouting

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
PacNW Relocation Scouting
Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:00 am
  • Hey folks.

At this point, I'm not sure if there are many .NET lifers left who remember who I am. Got too busy to dotnet with any regularity a while back.

In any event, we're taking a more serious look at relocating up to the Pacific Northwest from south centralish Texas. Mix of reasons -- One is to escape the allergy and asthma hotzone that is central Texas, both for ourselves and for newly-diagnosed toddler. Another is that we're both settling into fully remote work and don't really need to care about being close to a big metro for jobs. Have some in-laws in Portland, and the wife would like the cousins to grow up closer to one another. And so on. Not a done deal, but we both have loved the area for as long as we're capable of remembering things.

Anyway, I was hoping to get together some suggestions of places to scout around for a good mix of reasonable cost of living, decent schools, so on. "Things Family Sorts Like". I've only been to Seattle itself and a few little hiking areas around the city. Wife's wandered all over the area, but never really spent any time anywhere in particular. In-law is biased, and figures we're drooling rednecks if we live anywhere but Portland.

I'm currently a bit intrigued by some areas around Olympia, but we're pretty open. As far as being near the tech hub of Seattle, itself... I'm 100% remote and have little to no interest in changing that, and the wife is similar but a bit more freelancer, so it's probably best to be within an hour commute or so.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
    TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Re: PacNW Relocation Scouting
Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:05 am
  • Chehalis area South is a more reasonable housing zone or Smokey point up to Bellingham on the North end. That's on the I 5 corridor, if you go west more towards the coast it's cheaper yet, schools I would look at them on line, depends on what you want also, kids being kids and growing up in a small community with teachers that will have smaller class sizes versus bigger money places with all the problems that go with it.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:13 am
  • I've lived all over the state and without a doubt the best place I lived was North Bend, WA. There is a ton of hiking in the area too. Check it out.

It is 30 miles east of Seattle so it might be a drawback that it is even further from Portland but other than that I don't think you'll find much wrong with it.
    bigtrain21
    * NET GIF Master *

Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:43 pm
  • TravTex wrote:Hey folks.

At this point, I'm not sure if there are many .NET lifers left who remember who I am. Got too busy to dotnet with any regularity a while back.

In any event, we're taking a more serious look at relocating up to the Pacific Northwest from south centralish Texas. Mix of reasons -- One is to escape the allergy and asthma hotzone that is central Texas, both for ourselves and for newly-diagnosed toddler. Another is that we're both settling into fully remote work and don't really need to care about being close to a big metro for jobs. Have some in-laws in Portland, and the wife would like the cousins to grow up closer to one another. And so on. Not a done deal, but we both have loved the area for as long as we're capable of remembering things.

Anyway, I was hoping to get together some suggestions of places to scout around for a good mix of reasonable cost of living, decent schools, so on. "Things Family Sorts Like". I've only been to Seattle itself and a few little hiking areas around the city. Wife's wandered all over the area, but never really spent any time anywhere in particular. In-law is biased, and figures we're drooling rednecks if we live anywhere but Portland.

I'm currently a bit intrigued by some areas around Olympia, but we're pretty open. As far as being near the tech hub of Seattle, itself... I'm 100% remote and have little to no interest in changing that, and the wife is similar but a bit more freelancer, so it's probably best to be within an hour commute or so.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

As someone that has allergys, the PNW is far from an allergy free zone.
    Might want to look in to that before you commit. If you are thinking about Portland you may want to think about Vancouver which is a suburb of Portland, and you don't have to pay the Oregon State income tax, and you can still shop in Oregon to avoid the Washington state sales tax.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:30 pm
  • Hey Trav! It would be cool to have you up in my neck of the woods...You might want to take a look at Maple Valley...We moved here because you get more bang for your buck home-wise. It's not far from one of the main highways (18) and not too far (11 miles) from I-405/Renton. Tahoma School District is the best in the state, great hiking/mountain bike/jogging trails all around us...

If you're okay with not living next to a major city it's one to consider.

There are three certainties in life. Death, taxes and the perpetual shuffling of the Seattle Seahawks offensive line.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:29 pm
  • Price wise my favorite area is higher but there is a reason for it. Outstanding beauty and a sense of being secluded while still being in the city.

West Seattle.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:42 pm
  • Maple Valley has become Bellevue South, sorry Aros, (State of Washington Employee actually said that to me when I had my daughter and they were going after me for child support, If you can afford to live in Bellevue South.) growing like a weed, Black Diamond is nice and it's just around the corner and they are going to be building like hell there soon so values will be going up, Buckley and Enumclaw is much more rural and country and still not that far from humanity.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:16 am
  • chris98251 wrote:Maple Valley has become Bellevue South, sorry Aros, (State of Washington Employee actually said that to me when I had my daughter and they were going after me for child support, If you can afford to live in Bellevue South.) growing like a weed, Black Diamond is nice and it's just around the corner and they are going to be building like hell there soon so values will be going up, Buckley and Enumclaw is much more rural and country and still not that far from humanity.

I grew up in Ravensdale (late 70s through the 80s, Tahoma High class of 89). When I went back home for my grandmother's funeral a few years ago I couldn't believe how much that area had grown and urbanized. I barely recognized it.

2014 Adopt-A-Rookie: Kiero Small
    2015 Adopt-A-Rookie: Tyler Lockett
    2016 Adopt-A-Rookie: Joey Hunt
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:22 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    TravTex wrote:
    Thoughts?

Thanks!

Might want to look in to that before you commit. If you are thinking about Portland you may want to think about Vancouver which is a suburb of Portland, and you don't have to pay the Oregon State income tax, and you can still shop in Oregon to avoid the Washington state sales tax.

Maybe, though we've had really good luck with foresty areas. (Generally improved allergy areas are deserts, forests, mountains, and coasts. PacNW gets 3 of the 4.)\

I ended up growing up with the mountains/desert combination with diminishing returns. Problem with deserts is that people move in and plant a crapload of the same types of trees and grasses. Any way, to organize my thoughts and stop spewing out random trivial BS before the coffee has kicked in...

So far, the biggest improvement I've personally experienced was in NW Arkansas. I would've thought it would be worse, at first, since there's SO much more green. I went from 2-3 severe sinus and ear infections a year at a minimum in central Texas (Which is really a 'Your allergies are going to suck' type of national hub) to ZEROOOO in Arkansas. When we had to move back to San Antonio, I walked immediately into about a six-weeker.

And frankly it never quit. I just had to get fricking chronic middle ear infection surgery. Cost of living's great, but enough already. (I say as the baby knocks himself over in a coughing gagging fit.)

Er, anyway: I've had good experience with foresty mountainy regions in general, and costal regions in general, and Seattle in particular. I haven't been around Portland, but don't image it would be profoundly different. Also we're probably going to do a 2017 extended vacation to scout around.

Someone mentioned Vancouver, which we've been looking at pretty closely for the same reasons mentioned.
    TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:56 am
  • Just to throw it out there...Pe Ell. Tis in Washington South Central between I-5 and the coast. Dunno about schools or such tho. Just a thought.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:04 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:............If you are thinking about Portland you may want to think about Vancouver which is a suburb of Portland, and you don't have to pay the Oregon State income tax, and you can still shop in Oregon to avoid the Washington state sales tax.

Do this only, I repeat ONLY if you work in Vancouver!! There are but 2 bridges to go back and forth across the river to Portland and the commutes over those and the associated freeways (I-5 & I-205) have become horrific. We are fast approaching Seattle level gridlock. Do yourself a favor and live near where your work if possible.

Also if you live in Washington and work in Oregon you WILL still be required to pay Oregon state income tax despite the fact that you have ZERO say in how that money is allocated..........true taxation without representation. I know cuz I did it for 11 years. Property taxes are lower in Vancouver so if you can work AND live in Vancouver you will save a good chunk of $ because of not having to pay the income tax as well as paying less in property taxes. The downside is that it's just a suburb so if you desire a 'hip' metropolitan area to live in, the 'Couv ain't it.

BTW, I believe we already need 4 bridges and one needs to be a completely rebuilt I-5 bridge.
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:10 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    TravTex wrote:Hey folks.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

The down side of course is that you'd have to live in Vancouver.

If I were looking into moving to the Pnw I'd look at the Bend, Oregon area. Especially if you enjoy being active outdoors. Close enough to portland to make an easy trip to see the in laws but far enough (about a 2 1/2 hour drive), that you're not to close to the in laws.
    Last edited by JSeahawks on Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:40 am
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:............If you are thinking about Portland you may want to think about Vancouver which is a suburb of Portland, and you don't have to pay the Oregon State income tax, and you can still shop in Oregon to avoid the Washington state sales tax.

Do this only, I repeat ONLY if you work in Vancouver!! There are but 2 bridges to go back and forth across the river to Portland and the commutes over those and the associated freeways (I-5 & I-205) have become horrific. We are fast approaching Seattle level gridlock. Do yourself a favor and live near where your work if possible.

Also if you live in Washington and work in Oregon you WILL still be required to pay Oregon state income tax despite the fact that you have ZERO say in how that money is allocated..........true taxation without representation. I know cuz I did it for 11 years. Property taxes are lower in Vancouver so if you can work AND live in Vancouver you will save a good chunk of $ because of not having to pay the income tax as well as paying less in property taxes. The downside is that it's just a suburb so if you desire a 'hip' metropolitan area to live in, the 'Couv ain't it.

BTW, I believe we already need 4 bridges and one needs to be a completely rebuilt I-5 bridge.

All truth, but he said he's a telecommuter, so none of these things should be a concern.
    Anguish
    * NET Co-Owner *

Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:45 am
  • Anguish wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:............If you are thinking about Portland you may want to think about Vancouver which is a suburb of Portland, and you don't have to pay the Oregon State income tax, and you can still shop in Oregon to avoid the Washington state sales tax.

All truth, but he said he's a telecommuter, so none of these things should be a concern.

Didn't remember that. Thanks. But he will still have to pay Oregon income tax if he lives in that state.
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:03 pm
  • I grew up in Sequim and fully regret the day I left. The Peninsula is a great place to raise active kids that are into hiking and camping and outdoorsy stuff. Victoria, Canada is only about an hour away as is Seattle; Portland is I think 4 hours, which isn't too far from your family down there. The main reason I haven't moved back yet is the cost of living is a little high for me at the moment with my family.

I definately would give it a look as well as the Port Angeles and Port Townsend areas, anywhere on the Peninsula really is a great place to live.
    City Of Reign
    NET Starter

Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:34 pm
  • Wow, did you all forget that there's a whole other half of the state??? Beautiful Eastern WA! It's hotter in the summer, colder in the winter, and windier all year long, so if you have allergies, this place will really let them reach their full potential for most of the year. What could be better?! And also it's a nice shade of brown instead of that green most of you are so used to. Who needs trees anyway.
    AAR - CJ Prosise RB/WR/??? - Notre Dame
    TriCHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:12 pm
    Anguish wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:

Didn't remember that. Thanks. But he will still have to pay Oregon income tax if he lives in that state.

Yeah, the current job's in Montana. Side company is blowing up a bit right now in Texas, but they don't need me to actually be physically present.
    TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:13 pm
  • City Of Reign wrote:I grew up in Sequim and fully regret the day I left. The Peninsula is a great place to raise active kids that are into hiking and camping and outdoorsy stuff. Victoria, Canada is only about an hour away as is Seattle; Portland is I think 4 hours, which isn't too far from your family down there. The main reason I haven't moved back yet is the cost of living is a little high for me at the moment with my family.

I definately would give it a look as well as the Port Angeles and Port Townsend areas, anywhere on the Peninsula really is a great place to live.

Diehard Portlander brother-in-law spoke pretty highly of this region.
    TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:45 pm
  • Damn, including allergies is a big deal in re-location. I wish you luck. Although I live in Magnolia Texas, I have no probs here. Also had none in west Seattle. I had a small green frog hopping across my living room floor this morning which was funny. Not sure where it got in.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:47 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:Damn, including allergies is a big deal in re-location. I wish you luck. Although I live in Magnolia Texas, I have no probs here. Also had none in west Seattle. I had a small green frog hopping across my living room floor this morning which was funny. Not sure where it got in.

Our backyard is overrun with little frogs to the point that we have a nightly frog symphony. However, they are crafty to the point that we have yet to see one.
    TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:48 pm
  • TravTex wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:Damn, including allergies is a big deal in re-location. I wish you luck. Although I live in Magnolia Texas, I have no probs here. Also had none in west Seattle. I had a small green frog hopping across my living room floor this morning which was funny. Not sure where it got in.

Our backyard is overrun with little frogs to the point that we have a nightly frog symphony. However, they are crafty to the point that we have yet to see one.

They have cloaking devices....wow.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:46 pm
  • I sent you a PM TravTex
    City Of Reign
    NET Starter

Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:53 am
  • TriCHawk wrote:Wow, did you all forget that there's a whole other half of the state??? Beautiful Eastern WA! It's hotter in the summer, colder in the winter, and windier all year long, so if you have allergies, this place will really let them reach their full potential for most of the year. What could be better?! And also it's a nice shade of brown instead of that green most of you are so used to. Who needs trees anyway.

"Come to Eastern Washington"--you should write the brochure TriCHawk! :lol:
    "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."---LP Hartley
    Trenchbroom
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:55 am
  • Trenchbroom wrote:
    TriCHawk wrote:Wow, did you all forget that there's a whole other half of the state??? Beautiful Eastern WA! It's hotter in the summer, colder in the winter, and windier all year long, so if you have allergies, this place will really let them reach their full potential for most of the year. What could be better?! And also it's a nice shade of brown instead of that green most of you are so used to. Who needs trees anyway.

"Come to Eastern Washington"--you should write the brochure TriCHawk! :lol:

From the EW Department of Tourism.

TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:55 am
  • TravTex wrote:
    City Of Reign wrote:I grew up in Sequim and fully regret the day I left. The Peninsula is a great place to raise active kids that are into hiking and camping and outdoorsy stuff. Victoria, Canada is only about an hour away as is Seattle; Portland is I think 4 hours, which isn't too far from your family down there. The main reason I haven't moved back yet is the cost of living is a little high for me at the moment with my family.

Diehard Portlander brother-in-law spoke pretty highly of this region.

I lived on the Olympic Peninsula for a few years when I first moved to WA, Gardiner area. Worked in Pt Townsend and went to school in P.A. Nice small town feel, lots of nature to see and explore, and if you're into fishing it can be great place to live. I left to be a little closer to my kids in Seattle and to go to school at SVC. The only downside is it's a bit like living on an island.

I now live in Skagit County which is an hour or so North of Seattle and I like it just fine. I live in a small town, Clear Lake, where the prices of land are reasonable. We have a Post Office, gas station/convenience store, tavern, grocery, and grade school...that's about it. No town council, no mayor, or any of that crap. And I'm only 5-6 miles from I-5, which can be important living in W. WA.

You might want to look into Whatcom County as well.

two cents.
    In the clearing stands a boxer and a fighter by his trade.........

Paulie S.
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *

Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:08 am
  • Move to the Tri-Cities. Beautiful weather, 300 days of sunshine, growing fast, Columbia River is amazing and its much cheaper. Gotta support TriCHawk when I can.
    austinslater25
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:07 am
  • austinslater25 wrote:Move to the Tri-Cities. Beautiful weather, 300 days of sunshine, growing fast, Columbia River is amazing and its much cheaper. Gotta support TriCHawk when I can.

I agree with this...especially if you are into wine and don't need to be near an airport. We were there a couple of weeks ago and my wife looked through a real estate magazine. You can get a 3000 sqft house with 300 feet of waterfront for about half what an average house in Seattle or the Eastside would cost.
    andyh64000
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:05 am
  • Olympia is a cool place to live now, we have a cabin down in the Yelm area so it's only a 10-15 minute ride into downtown Olympia. It reminds me of Portland, interesting downtown area with lots of cool shops, bars, farmers market and restaurants.....and still reasonable to buy a house in and around Olympia.

As far as allergies, if the NW isn't right up there for the worst places to live for allergies, I don't know what is. We've got it all, pollen, grass, mold and trees.

So maybe eastern Washington would be better if that's a major concern. Much drier climate.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:29 pm
  • I guess it depends on your allergies, but E. WA is horrible for them in general. It's so windy and dry here. I actually enjoy getting over to the west side to get a break from them. There used to be a saying here... something to the effect of if you didn't have allergies before, you will when you live in Tri-Cities...

Other than that, it is actually a pretty decent place to live. Cost of living is much better than the rest of the state, it's growing, so run-down areas are pretty slim, and there's lots of places to work... PNNL is a major player here for tech/research type stuff.
    AAR - CJ Prosise RB/WR/??? - Notre Dame
    TriCHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:42 pm
  • Screw eastern Washington. Hole city after hole city. My first choice would be Gerheart, OR, but the elemenary isn't highly rated. If you want good schools, I'd be on the Eastside of King County, which is Kirkland or Bellevue. Super high cost of living bit also very high quality of life and just across the water from Seattle. Second is Maple Valley, WA. Cost of living is a little better but it is about an hour out of Seattle. Very highly rated school district and always among one of the highest rated places to raise a family. Has a smaller town feel. It is where the Microsoft guys go for good schools and cheaper houses than Eastside.
    I'm fly
    I should be in the sky with birds
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:26 am
  • Tical have you been to the Tri-Cities? It doesn't resemble anything like a "hole city". Where did you visit Whitstran and Burbank?
    austinslater25
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:53 am
  • austinslater25 wrote:Tical have you been to the Tri-Cities? It doesn't resemble anything like a "hole city". Where did you visit Whitstran and Burbank?

I don't hate Eastern WA like Tical seems to (Hey Tical: GO ZAGS!!) but Tri-Cities is not an attractive place to me. I go through there 5 or so times a year on my way to Spokane to visit my folks. There are no nearby mountains which Yakima, despite being unattractive as hell can at least claim. I suppose if you have a boat or personal watercraft you can play on the river for a couple months out of the year and Spring is very nice there but otherwise, I just don't see it., BTW, I lived there from '78 to '82 and didn't think it was great then though I'll be the first to admit it was 30+ years ago so probably not relevant to today.

I would strongly consider Medford, OR for retirement as it's got a similar climate to Tri-Cities (one I like a lot) but has actual trees and nearby mountains. It also is only a 2 1/2 hour drive to the coast (Brookings) which is nice too. However, Oregon taxes pension income and I simply will NOT live somewhere that does so. Retired on a fixed income is not the easiest thing in the world and I'll be damned if I hand over 8 or 9 percent of my money to the state of Oregon.

The other downside to Medford is that it's 49er and Raider territory but that's what the Ticket is for right?
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:54 pm
  • The only really nice place in Eastern Washington is the Leavenworth area or In the Methow area, lots of cold and snow in the winter there however.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:28 pm
  • Good to hear from ya, Trav.

I grew up in Wenatchee, WA and actually just moved back here in the Spring after living in Bellingham for 6.5 years. Eastern Washington definitely has some nice towns and such, but I wouldn't go further East than the Wenatchee area.

Housing isn't that expensive here, we have very cheap water and the cheapest electricity in the country (world?). 300 days of sunshine, but nestled into the foothills so there's actually some greenery and hills rather than flat sun-scorched brown for miles and miles and miles. Leavenworth is 35 minutes away, Lake Chelan is 45 minutes North, there's an airport in East Wenatchee (Wenatchee and East Wenatchee saddle the Colombia River) that has inexpensive 30 minute flights to and from Seattle (pretty sure they're adding one or two more destinations too).

I'm a bit biased, but it's a quality place to settle down. Plenty of outdoors, breweries and local restaurants keep popping up and improving.

With all that said, definitely check out Whatcom or Skagit counties like LymonHawk said. Bellingham, Ferndale, Sedro Woolley, Mt. Vernon/Burlington, Anacortes. All those places have redeeming qualities.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:37 pm
  • :vodka:
    austinslater25 wrote:Tical have you been to the Tri-Cities? It doesn't resemble anything like a "hole city". Where did you visit Whitstran and Burbank?

Tri-cities aren't holes? I went to six colleges in eastern wa, lived in Richland twice and Pasco, which I visit yearly to stay with family. Cheap, nothing to do, hole in the wall Trump towns. The whole side of the state, even Spokane. If you value a slow pace of life, horrid winters, way too hot summers and don't like having good restaurants or things to do, like being around desperate people and poor school systems, I'm sure it's a wonderful place.
    I'm fly
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:40 pm
    austinslater25 wrote:Tical have you been to the Tri-Cities? It doesn't resemble anything like a "hole city". Where did you visit Whitstran and Burbank?

I don't hate Eastern WA like Tical seems to (Hey Tical: GO ZAGS!!) but Tri-Cities is not an attractive place to me. I go through there 5 or so times a year on my way to Spokane to visit my folks. There are no nearby mountains which Yakima, despite being unattractive as hell can at least claim. I suppose if you have a boat or personal watercraft you can play on the river for a couple months out of the year and Spring is very nice there but otherwise, I just don't see it., BTW, I lived there from '78 to '82 and didn't think it was great then though I'll be the first to admit it was 30+ years ago so probably not relevant to today.

I would strongly consider Medford, OR for retirement as it's got a similar climate to Tri-Cities (one I like a lot) but has actual trees and nearby mountains. It also is only a 2 1/2 hour drive to the coast (Brookings) which is nice too. However, Oregon taxes pension income and I simply will NOT live somewhere that does so. Retired on a fixed income is not the easiest thing in the world and I'll be damned if I hand over 8 or 9 percent of my money to the state of Oregon.

The other downside to Medford is that it's 49er and Raider territory but that's what the Ticket is for right?

Medford is a pretty cool place, although not sure I would want to live there until I got into your age bracket :rumble:
    I'm fly
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:41 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:The only really nice place in Eastern Washington is the Leavenworth area or In the Methow area, lots of cold and snow in the winter there however.

Both super awesome places to vacation.
    I'm fly
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:19 am
  • Tical21 wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:

Medford is a pretty cool place, although not sure I would want to live there until I got into your age bracket :rumble:

Hey now, I resemble that remark!!

:les:
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:56 am
  • Tical21 wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:The only really nice place in Eastern Washington is the Leavenworth area or In the Methow area, lots of cold and snow in the winter there however.

Both super awesome places to vacation.

Actually, real estate is cheap in both those areas. No jobs however, unless you are a doc, dentist or waiter.

I basically lived in Leavenworth on weekends in the summer, rock climbing in Icicle Canyon was just awesome. Beautiful place for sure.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:16 pm
  • I might or might not have just pms'd
    I'm fly
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:37 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]