Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Time for a new phone

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Time for a new phone
Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:15 am
  • So I've had my Nexus 6 for almost two year and I'm ready to upgrade.

The Nexus 6 is my 5th nexus phone (G1, G2, Nexus 4, Nexus 5 and Nexus 6); I've had other Android phones like some Galaxy ones, the HD2 that I put a custom Android ROM on and the early iPhones before they were officially able to connect to TMo's network.

I've been using Android pretty exclusively for the past 8+ years and I'm looking at something new.

I have always enjoyed Android phones because even if you have the same phone, it can look completely different.

I'm waiting for September when the new Nexus will probably get announced and determine if I want a new one or if I try out the OnePlus 3 or maybe even an iPhone.

Thoughts are appreciated.
    "Go for Broke" - 442nd Japanese-American Battalion

Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

"YOU POST...TO WIN...thethread." JesterHawk
    sammyc521
    NET Veteran

Re: Time for a new phone
Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:04 pm
  • Got my Galaxy Note 7 last night. Hard to judge it on a few hours use but this thing is beautiful. The iris scanner is totally unnecessary and totally awesome.

I've never owned a Nexus device. I've been Note faithful since the 2, and the 4 was the only one that ever let me down.
    Image Always been a Seahawks fan
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:25 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:Got my Galaxy Note 7 last night. Hard to judge it on a few hours use but this thing is beautiful. The iris scanner is totally unnecessary and totally awesome.

I've never owned a Nexus device. I've been Note faithful since the 2, and the 4 was the only one that ever let me down.

I love my Note 7, got it on release. Nexus phones are nice for vanilla Android and up to date OS releases. But I'm usually underwhelmed by the build quality.
    Annual Adopt a Rookie: Vannett
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:09 pm
  • My phone got crabs in my jam room.

There I covered three threads in one sentence.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:47 pm
  • OkieHawk wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:Got my Galaxy Note 7 last night. Hard to judge it on a few hours use but this thing is beautiful. The iris scanner is totally unnecessary and totally awesome.

I love my Note 7, got it on release. Nexus phones are nice for vanilla Android and up to date OS releases. But I'm usually underwhelmed by the build quality.

Outside of the price, the Note 7 seems to be getting amazing reviews.

Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

sammyc521
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:04 pm
  • I bought the Nexus 6, then the Nexus 6P when it came out. Never going back to non-Nexus again. Screw carriers and bloated OEM interfaces.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:25 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I bought the Nexus 6, then the Nexus 6P when it came out. Never going back to non-Nexus again. Screw carriers and bloated OEM interfaces.

Since 5.0 you can disable pretty much any app without rooting. Now with the ability to inhibit special permissions out doesn't really matter much anymore.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:06 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I bought the Nexus 6, then the Nexus 6P when it came out. Never going back to non-Nexus again. Screw carriers and bloated OEM interfaces.

While I agree as my past phones have shown. I have felt that while the Nexus phones have been great with providing a stock Android experience, I wonder if I would be better off with a dedicated phone that tries to maximize its hardware/software.

After reading reviews on the new Note 7 and Edge S7, I am leaning towards those. I haven't has a Samsung phone since the Galaxy S2.

sammyc521
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:14 pm
  • Believe it or not, the best thing I like about my 6P is the fingerprint reader on the back. So convenient, and you can insert passwords from LastPass with it. Pure win and helps me have good real-world security. Well, I guess I rate that as equal to the fact that I get instant updates to the latest version of Android.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:33 am
  • I have the Galaxy 6 Edge and absolutely love it. I want to get the 7 Edge (because it is even more awesome with the added features) but have to wait a bit longer.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:54 am
  • Just received my Galaxy S7 Actual 2 days ago. Not a fan of the edge line as I feel like I'm going to break it with my fat calloused hands so I got the thicker, more traditional Actual. More phone to grab onto and less chance of inadvertent dialing and stuff. Plus, it fits into a hard-case and clip better without losing any functionality.

32gigs, with a built-in wireless-chargeable battery and sim. You have to heat the thing up to remove the back cover as it is glued on. The cameras, the sound quality, scanners, and battery life are off the chain good. The screen is so amazingly awesome I still can't believe it. Totally stoked with this thing. My S4 I had for almost 4 years and only recently broke the screen so I had to make a move. Glad I did.

I did the Verizon extension/upgrade deal which spreads the cost out a bit.
    :les: Remembering "The Radish"...
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:25 pm
  • I feel like I'm going to wait for the new Nexus phone specs/price and decide then.

I'm heavily leaning towards the Note 7 or the S7 Edge. Good to know so many people enjoy the new Samsung's.

sammyc521
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:27 pm
  • So far so good with the Note7, with a couple minor exceptions.

First, and I've only really been half paying attention but, the fast charge doesn't seem nearly as fast as it was on the 5. Feels like a regular charge. But oh well.

Second, there's been a couple of times when waking the phone up from screen off there's just a few seconds where it's a little laggy. Now I'm not alarmed about it yet, but it reminds me a little of when I upgraded from the 3, which I loved, to the 4, which didn't live up to expectations. Hopefully it's nothing and I won't have a similar experience with this upgrade.

#firstworldproblems
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:40 pm
  • Well this Note 7 recall puts a little damper in my steps. I guess I will most definitely wait for the announcement of the new Pixel and Pixel XL before I make a decision.

sammyc521
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:56 am
  • May I add Project Fi to the discussion? Anyone using it? I've been on the hind tit of Ma Bell for a couple of decades and never had any issues other than the price. Getting money back for unused data seems pretty cool to me. Looking at my usage I could have saved a couple hundred bucks over the summer if I was on Fi.

any feedback?
    NoChops
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:39 am
  • My friend has Project Fi and he doesn't have any complaints about it. He uses the Nexus 6 (the same phone I have) and he says that he's mostly connected to wifi so he saves money by not using his data.

I would wait for the new Nexus phones (getting rebranded as Pixel) because they currently only work with select phones.

sammyc521
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:17 pm
  • The universe was telling you to get a Pixel. ;)
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:01 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:The universe was telling you to get a Pixel. ;)

Seems that Google is trolling my search results hardcore this year.

sammyc521
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:57 am
  • Not inspired by the Pixel... Gonna get a blow-up-your-hand-Note7 when they go back on sale.

sammyc521
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:20 am
  • I'm gonna say that after going through the shut down & exchange process on the Note7, which was kind of a hassle, and now having used my new one for a couple weeks, if it weren't for the beautiful screen & body design and the upgraded camera I would have stuck with my Note 5. The 7 is just laggy and lethargic on wake up for at least 3-4 seconds, sometimes more, and on boot up it takes it a good minute before it's really awake and fully responsive. Total #firstworldproblems I know, but the Note 5 didn't have any of those issues. I don't know what they did and maybe at some point there will be an update to fix those issue, but I'm not counting on it. Slightly disappointed.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:27 am
  • Just went to the S7 Active. No complaints.
    Adopt A Rookie: Nick Vannett, TE - Ohio State University
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:08 am
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:I'm gonna say that after going through the shut down & exchange process on the Note7, which was kind of a hassle, and now having used my new one for a couple weeks, if it weren't for the beautiful screen & body design and the upgraded camera I would have stuck with my Note 5. The 7 is just laggy and lethargic on wake up for at least 3-4 seconds, sometimes more, and on boot up it takes it a good minute before it's really awake and fully responsive. Total #firstworldproblems I know, but the Note 5 didn't have any of those issues. I don't know what they did and maybe at some point there will be an update to fix those issue, but I'm not counting on it. Slightly disappointed.

Have you been getting any data drops that only come back with a restart? It's random and far between, but annoying.

I haven't noticed mine taking a minute to be responsive after a boot up, but the exchange process was a big pain in the ass.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:31 am
  • Hm... Maybe I'll get the S7 Edge then...

sammyc521
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:12 pm
  • OkieHawk wrote:Have you been getting any data drops that only come back with a restart? It's random and far between, but annoying.

I haven't noticed anything like that happening. I've generally gotten very good service with it.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:41 pm
  • I've had the S7 edge since it was released (replaced my Note 3) and I've been really happy with it. I got my first watch (Gear S2) to go with it and I love the pairing. Samsung is doing really nice work. Their Samsung specific software doesn't feel bloated like other devices I've owned in the past. It is all pretty seemless and runs plenty fast.

Supposedly I have a free Gear VR headset coming as well but they are on back order and I have no idea when I will see one. Having used the HTC Vive VR headset, I expect I'll be disappointed with the Gear VR but the pricetag is significantly better.
    Doug Baldwin took a hit to the head when he was younger and now can't remember how to drop a football. - SomersetHawk
    JesterHawk
    * Smackmeister *

Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:18 pm
  • They're offering their Samsung VR set if you order one now. I missed out on the Gear2 if I had pulled the trigger a month ago but right after was the recall.

I'm not buying the Pixel because there's nothing that I find to be "must have" about that phone.

Even getting a pure Android experience has lost its luster since the hardware has gotten so much better. Also... The Pixel looks like an iPhone and I know my wife will just tell me why would I get a phone that looks like an iPhone but isn't.

Note 7s go back on sale at TMo. Free VR headset with an S7 Edge expires on 10/9. Choices...

sammyc521
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:31 am
  • Good luck with your new phones guys.

I went to vegas and went to the other bar that is not Scooters. The lady there helped me upgrade the system in my phone there. Now I am having problems with getting a secure datalink. Do not know what to do with the problem with the X2 droid with the upgraded OS in it yet. Looking for options here. Also uploaded or downloaded Lyft and uber and maybe they will work. I dunno yet.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:47 pm
  • Just curious, if anyone has heard of or has purchased a ZTE Axon 7?

I"ve been looking around for a new Cell phone, I really love Sony Phones, they have a unique look that is unlike any others and are top of the line...except, they are expensive. Turns out, all the top of the line phones were expensive so I said hell with it and figured I'd just try the new google Pixil. THen I thought better of it and started looking, and long story short, came across the ZTE Axon 7
    For $360 this phone has about the best sound system of any phone out there. It' has a screen made by Samsung, it's 64 gigs, 4 gigs of ram, dual sim or mem, a 820 processor a 2 year warranty and it looks pretty awesome.
    It has a 20 meg back cam, 8 meg front cam. The only thing people can harp on is their software.. well I guess some of the stuff is different, I don't know. I went ahead and ordered it, what the hell.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ZTE+Axo ... 8&oe=utf-8

Anyway, if anyone has one, or tried one, I'd like to hear what they have to say. Thanks.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:56 am
  • Let me chime in here. I got the LG V20 last week (T-Mobile online pre-order the day it was available and they shipped it to my house that Wednesday), and I have to say, it's a worthy replacement to the Note.

The camera is fantastic, takes great pics and video.

I can't speak too much on the quad DAC as I haven't messed with that much at all.

The battery life is amazing! Sunday it lasted roughly 11 hours with moderate use and 2.5 hours of OST.

The LG UI is pretty nice, but it takes some time not having an app drawer. The second screen helps with that though, and once you get used to app switching using it it's even better. The second screen keeps your most recent app icons up there for ease of switching. It can also be used to swipe to other apps or functions like the flashlight.

Another great feature, is that you can say "Ok Google" from the standby screen and it will actually recognize it. Try doing that on any other phone that isn't Google branded and it doesn't work. For me that is a nice feature for true hands free driving when hooked up to a compatible system in a vehicle.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:47 am
  • As long as you use the voice training function for Google Now, it works very reliably on every phone I've ever tried it on, several of which were not Google/Nexus phones. (The training function where you say 'Ok Google' 3x in a row.)

Also, I'm enjoying the new Pixel phone I chose as my work phone.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:07 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:As long as you use the voice training function for Google Now, it works very reliably on every phone I've ever tried it on, several of which were not Google/Nexus phones. (The training function where you say 'Ok Google' 3x in a row.)

Also, I'm enjoying the new Pixel phone I chose as my work phone.

None of them will recognize the command when in standby though. Currently only the pixel and v20 do.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:38 pm
  • On my Note(s) it'll do it from the lock screen or any other screen while awake. Not when it's just sitting there asleep though. At least not any time I've tried it. Which I have many. Because there's something wrong with my brain.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:07 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:On my Note(s) it'll do it from the lock screen or any other screen while awake. Not when it's just sitting there asleep though. At least not any time I've tried it. Which I have many. Because there's something wrong with my brain.

You weren't alone in trying to do it while the phone was "asleep"...multiple times on different phones... :oops:
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:19 pm
  • I just wish the button on my Accord that prompts for Voice Dialing would just activate the Google Now functionality rather than using Honda's Voice Command to send a 'dial phone number' command to my phone via Bluetooth.
    Doug Baldwin took a hit to the head when he was younger and now can't remember how to drop a football. - SomersetHawk
    JesterHawk
    * Smackmeister *

Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:50 pm
  • JesterHawk wrote:I just wish the button on my Accord that prompts for Voice Dialing would just activate the Google Now functionality rather than using Honda's Voice Command to send a 'dial phone number' command to my phone via Bluetooth.

#FirstWorldProblems
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:48 am
  • OkieHawk wrote:Let me chime in here. I got the LG V20 last week (T-Mobile online pre-order the day it was available and they shipped it to my house that Wednesday), and I have to say, it's a worthy replacement to the Note.

The camera is fantastic, takes great pics and video.

I can't speak too much on the quad DAC as I haven't messed with that much at all.

The battery life is amazing! Sunday it lasted roughly 11 hours with moderate use and 2.5 hours of OST.

The LG UI is pretty nice, but it takes some time not having an app drawer. The second screen helps with that though, and once you get used to app switching using it it's even better. The second screen keeps your most recent app icons up there for ease of switching. It can also be used to swipe to other apps or functions like the flashlight.

Another great feature, is that you can say "Ok Google" from the standby screen and it will actually recognize it. Try doing that on any other phone that isn't Google branded and it doesn't work. For me that is a nice feature for true hands free driving when hooked up to a compatible system in a vehicle.

I was looking at this to replace my note 4, sprint is offering free Bang & Olufsen headphones with it, I hear the audio quality is amazing! Surprised you have not explored that yet :D
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:53 am
  • m0ng0 wrote:
    I was looking at this to replace my note 4, sprint is offering free Bang & Olufsen headphones with it, I hear the audio quality is amazing! Surprised you have not explored that yet :D

I mainly listen to music through a Bluetooth speaker, and the headphones I do have are cheap. Tomorrow I'll be able to try and get the B&O headsets as T-Mobile was offering the same deal.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:56 pm
  • Picked up that V20 as well. Looking forward to checking out this super duper special audio but being that I've worked in a recording studio for like 15 years I don't expect to be blown away.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:00 pm
  • Ended up getting the S7 Edge... I should have gotten is like 2+ months ago and gotten the free swag they were offering at the time.

I forgot how much shit I had on my 2-year-old Nexus 6... so many apps that I need to re-download and some I need to purge.

sammyc521
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:40 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:Picked up that V20 as well. Looking forward to checking out this super duper special audio but being that I've worked in a recording studio for like 15 years I don't expect to be blown away.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you'll probably be underwhelmed by it.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:11 pm
  • sammyc521 wrote:Ended up getting the S7 Edge... I should have gotten is like 2+ months ago and gotten the free swag they were offering at the time.

I forgot how much shit I had on my 2-year-old Nexus 6... so many apps that I need to re-download and some I need to purge.

I picked up one as well, in fact if you buy it from Samsung, they give you a free VR thing for your phone.

Well ended up, I didn't like the phone very much, it's pretty and everything but I hated the fingerprint reader, it seemed to take forever to read and it's in a awkward position.

I"ve decided to keep the Chinese knock off ZTE Axon, the fingerprinter is right on back, pick it up and it instantaneously turns on the system.

Or I have actually found that "OK Google" wakes up the device.. cool.
    I didn't like the edge screen, it was interesting and very cool, but, disturbing at the same time.

Also, since I purchased it from ATT, I get a big hit on my bill.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:52 pm
  • The promotion for the free gear VR expired a while ago. No biggie.

So far having new hardware is amazing. Its easily x snappier than my 2 year old phone and the photos are amazing.

sammyc521
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:02 pm
  • sammyc521 wrote:The promotion for the free gear VR expired a while ago. No biggie.

So far having new hardware is amazing. Its easily x snappier than my 2 year old phone and the photos are amazing.

No, I called, it's still on, but it's last years model.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:01 am
  • OnePlus 3, if you want it now. If you can wait some time then you should wait for OnePlus 3T. Rumor is that it will be out soon. Best android phones for the price that you buy directly for their website.

I have been using OnePlus 1 for two and half years now. Zero regrets.
    SeahawksFanForever
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:50 pm
  • Get the Samsung Note 7, the hottest phone on the market, literally
    theincrediblesok
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:05 pm
  • I am not at all interested in hauling around a brick for a phone in my front pocket. Currently looking for a compact device with a screen no larger than 4 1/2". Sony Xperia compact is on my short list.
    Palmegranite
    NET Rookie

Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:28 pm
  • SeahawksFanForever wrote:OnePlus 3, if you want it now. If you can wait some time then you should wait for OnePlus 3T. Rumor is that it will be out soon. Best android phones for the price that you buy directly for their website.

I'm going to get it.
    Edge s7 nice but it stutters and lags way to much.
    The Axxon I got was nice, but there are some oddities
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:18 pm
  • Found something pretty cool with OK Google, you can change voices.. so I went in and now I for the fun of it, am using english, with India, dialect, you can use any language you want, the Australian one is cool as well.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:26 am
  • Bobblehead wrote:
    SeahawksFanForever wrote:OnePlus 3, if you want it now. If you can wait some time then you should wait for OnePlus 3T. Rumor is that it will be out soon. Best android phones for the price that you buy directly for their website.

I'm going to get it.
    Edge s7 nice but it stutters and lags way to much.
    The Axxon I got was nice, but there are some oddities

Dude..How many phones do you have?I was following you when you said you had the ZTE which is what I have.You then proceed to say you got this other kind and have yet another kind besides the ZTE.I'm just wondering if you people have multiple phones for different uses.I haven't even used over half of what my phone can do yet in almost a year.I will say the photos this one takes are not very good..
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:11 am
  • I got several to try out and returned them all.. Kept the Axon, cause mostly based on speed.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:53 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information