Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Beef Ribs

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Beef Ribs
Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:07 am
  • Parolo.
    Attachments
    BeefRibs5.jpg
    BeefRibs5.jpg (159.25 KiB) Viewed 2222 times
    BeefRibs4.jpg
    BeefRibs4.jpg (218.75 KiB) Viewed 2222 times
    BeefRibs1.jpg
    BeefRibs1.jpg (233.93 KiB) Viewed 2222 times
    Russell has some stats that aren't Superb? Ow! Love his balls anyways!

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

Re: Beef Ribs
Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:14 am
  • StoneCold definitely gets it.

Let it be known.

Very nice.
    :les: Remembering "The Radish"...
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:21 am
  • It's way too early in the day to be looking at stuff like this. It's making me hungry and there are too many hours until lunch. Those pictures are reminding me of the ones I did over memorial day weekend on my new charcoal water smoker.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:52 am
  • They look amazing, and wrong at the same time.
    Don't get me wrong, I'd eat those in a NY minute.

Personally, any ribs I cook will be pork. It's just they way it should be in my mind.

Bottom picture looks like you did 2 styles, care to share?
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:42 am
  • As a fellow rib cooking enthusiast, i'd like to know your process.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:03 am

Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:06 am
  • pmedic920 wrote:They look amazing, and wrong at the same time.

Personally, any ribs I cook will be pork. It's just they way it should be in my mind.

I have heard, from other parts of the internet, that Texas doesn't cotton to beef ribs. Is it that or something more sinister? :)

I did use to different spice mixtures. One has fresh garlic. rosemary, sage, thyme, salt and pepper. It's a classic prime rib combination. The other is a cajun spice mix. I did prefer the cajun as these are so rich the other was a bit too much.

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:16 am
  • seahawk2k wrote:As a fellow rib cooking enthusiast, i'd like to know your process.

Spice mixture is in the post to PMedic. These were cooked on a CharGriller, indirect for a little over 2 hours. I removed the membrane from the back, same as I would for pork. Put the garlic rosemary rub in a small bowl with olive oil, mix and let sit for a while, then slather both sides of the rib. The cajun mix is cayenne, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, black pepper and salt. Slather the rib with olive oil then sprinkle the dry rub all over.

The CharGriller is not a great grill, but it does the trick. It lets in too much air. I've learned to control the temps and so it works. Bank the fire, get it up to 300, by the built in thermometer, put on the ribs, shut down all the air intake. Temps rose up to 375 and hovered there for most of the cook. I didn't put a thermometer next to the meat, but I guess the actual grate temp was around 300. That's about it. Just watch the temp, try not to look too much and wait.

Here's the grill and my grilling station. I also have a couple of smokers and if I'm cooking for more then two I use those. A Weber Smokey Mountain and kit called Cajun Bandit that turns a Webber Kettle into a WSM.
    Attachments
    BeefRibs6.jpg
    BeefRibs6.jpg (193.84 KiB) Viewed 2187 times

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:19 am
  • Largent80 wrote:I friggin LOVE beef ribs (pork too) whats not to like?

Big fan of ribs. This was my first time trying beef, I prefer the pork. Beef is delicious, but there's more sinew and tough connective tissue that doesn't break down the way it does with pork. These were tender, juicy, but also chewy. I will do again. but it's hard to beat a pig, plus it can bruise the meat.

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:34 am
  • Beef ribs are underrated.
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:06 pm
  • StoneCold wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:I friggin LOVE beef ribs (pork too) whats not to like?

Big fan of ribs. This was my first time trying beef, I prefer the pork. Beef is delicious, but there's more sinew and tough connective tissue that doesn't break down the way it does with pork. These were tender, juicy, but also chewy. I will do again. but it's hard to beat a pig, plus it can bruise the meat.

Yes, copious amounts of floss are needed after beef ribs but the flavor is fantastic, and I live in Texas !!!!!!!!!!
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:31 pm
  • I actually dont like beef ribs, they're always to tough it seems. Pork ribs are where its at.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:41 pm
  • one thing I find with beef ribs is that I need to smoke them for 5 or 6 hours to get the tenderness I like. I try to keep the heat between 200 and 250 degrees. If it wasn't charcoal I'd just say 225 but with charcoal and especially with my cheap smoker, it's impossible to do better than a 50 degree window unless you are constantly tending to it and that is a lot of unnecessary work IMO.

Pork are excellent and much easier to get to the proper tenderness than beef, but I love beef so much more than I do pork that for me i's worth the extra time and effort to do the beef when I can.

The other positive to pork ribs is it's generally much cheaper per pound so you can get more bang for your buck.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:50 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:one thing I find with beef ribs is that I need to smoke them for 5 or 6 hours to get the tenderness I like. I try to keep the heat between 200 and 250 degrees. If it wasn't charcoal I'd just say 225 but with charcoal and especially with my cheap smoker, it's impossible to do better than a 50 degree window unless you are constantly tending to it and that is a lot of unnecessary work IMO.

Pork are excellent and much easier to get to the proper tenderness than beef, but I love beef so much more than I do pork that for me i's worth the extra time and effort to do the beef when I can.

The other positive to pork ribs is it's generally much cheaper per pound so you can get more bang for your buck.

If I'm using the smoker (WSM) I do low and slow, 250 degrees, 4 to 5 hours for pork. With the CG it's impossible to do low temps, so it's hot and fast. Pork ribs get done in the same time as the Beef, 2 hours. I wondered how the beef would do low and slow and will try them in the WSM someday. More time to render and for tissue to break down seems like a good idea.

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:58 pm
  • StoneCold wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:one thing I find with beef ribs is that I need to smoke them for 5 or 6 hours to get the tenderness I like. I try to keep the heat between 200 and 250 degrees. If it wasn't charcoal I'd just say 225 but with charcoal and especially with my cheap smoker, it's impossible to do better than a 50 degree window unless you are constantly tending to it and that is a lot of unnecessary work IMO.

If I'm using the smoker (WSM) I do low and slow, 250 degrees, 4 to 5 hours for pork. With the CG it's impossible to do low temps, so it's hot and fast. Pork ribs get done in the same time as the Beef, 2 hours. I wondered how the beef would do low and slow and will try them in the WSM someday. More time to render and for tissue to break down seems like a good idea.

They do still have good flavor, but when cooked fast, they definitely are much tougher to eat than the pork. I don't think you can ever get them as tender as you can pork ribs, but a lower heat over a longer period of time will get them to a more tender condition with that same great beefy flavor.

Another thing, sometimes after 2 hours or so I'll wrap them in foil for about 90 minutes to let them kind of steam themselves then remove the foil and smoke them for another hour or so and that works out pretty well most of the time.

They are definitely a little more difficult than pork ribs, but the flavor is worth it to me.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:03 pm
  • I throw them on a BBQ. You have to be attentive with them and keep a spray water bottle handy. I also prop the top of the BBQ open with a brick or something to let it breath as beef has a lot of fat. After you braise them on both sides, cook them indirectly and be mindful to not overcook them and they come out top notch every time.

It's really not rocket science but you have to be right there the whole time if you BBQ them.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:06 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:I throw them on a BBQ. You have to be attentive with them and keep a spray water bottle handy. I also prop the top of the BBQ open with a brick or something to let it breath as beef has a lot of fat. After you braise them on both sides, cook them indirectly and be mindful to not overcook them and they come out top notch every time.

It's really not rocket science but you have to be right there the whole time if you BBQ them.

In today's heat, can't you just season them and throw 'em on the pavement for a few hours?

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Beef Ribs
Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:08 pm
  • StoneCold wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:They look amazing, and wrong at the same time.

I have heard, from other parts of the internet, that Texas doesn't cotton to beef ribs. Is it that or something more sinister? :)

I did use to different spice mixtures. One has fresh garlic. rosemary, sage, thyme, salt and pepper. It's a classic prime rib combination. The other is a cajun spice mix. I did prefer the cajun as these are so rich the other was a bit too much.

You know, I'm not sure where I got it but the earliest that I can remember eating ribs was at a place in Spokane (Longhorn BBQ) I think it was. I was a kid 14 or 15 maybe. Had ribs there many times. IIRC they had two locations, one on sunset hill (or close), and one out in the valley.
    Any way, I distinctly remember the first time that I ordered ribs that wasn't at this place, was expecting the same thing but that's not what came to the table, what came were "beef" ribs. Not at all what I was craving at the time, and it kinda turned me off from that point on.

I have eaten beef ribs that I enjoyed, and looking back, there was nothing wrong with my first "beef" ribs.

Pork, once I learned the difference, is what I think of when I hear ribs. Pork, is what I cook when I cook ribs, and I do them quite well but that's my opinion.

Nothing wrong with "beef" they just ain't "ribs" to me, and I promise, has nothing to do with Texas for me.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:09 pm

Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:10 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:Maybe......But there is no global warming, so I've heard.

Nope, not global, just follows you from state to state :irishdrinkers:

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:17 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:I throw them on a BBQ. You have to be attentive with them and keep a spray water bottle handy. I also prop the top of the BBQ open with a brick or something to let it breath as beef has a lot of fat. After you braise them on both sides, cook them indirectly and be mindful to not overcook them and they come out top notch every time.

Sounds like you are doing a quick sear first and then slowing it down after that. My grandma used to call that "sending it to the devil". Classic technique for doing a whole prime rib as well. How long do you cook them and at what temp?

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:19 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:They do still have good flavor, but when cooked fast, they definitely are much tougher to eat than the pork. I don't think you can ever get them as tender as you can pork ribs, but a lower heat over a longer period of time will get them to a more tender condition with that same great beefy flavor.

Another thing, sometimes after 2 hours or so I'll wrap them in foil for about 90 minutes to let them kind of steam themselves then remove the foil and smoke them for another hour or so and that works out pretty well most of the time.

They are definitely a little more difficult than pork ribs, but the flavor is worth it to me.

I always foil pork, right around the 2 hour mark, when going low and slow. It's the only way I've found to control smoke exposure. I don't like overly smokey anything. You do have to watch out for over cooking. Still delicious, but I look for a clean bite coming off the bone, not so much fall off the bone.

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:41 pm
  • Beef ribs are for people too cheap to buy pork ribs.

8)
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:42 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Beef ribs are for people too cheap to buy pork ribs.

8)

Adopt A Rookie: Nick Vannett, TE - Ohio State University
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:44 pm
  • Laloosh wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:Beef ribs are for people too cheap to buy pork ribs.

8)

Funny, I was thinking I may have those on the menu for this Saturday.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:53 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Beef ribs are for people too cheap to buy pork ribs.

8)

What store you shopping at? The beef ribs are more than the pork ribs here.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:07 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:

8)

That's incredible. I'm pretty sure it's the opposite everywhere in the lower 48. Beef ribs are half the price of pork ribs per pound basically everywhere I can remember seeing them at, including Wisconsin.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:13 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:

8)

That's incredible. I'm pretty sure it's the opposite everywhere in the lower 48. Beef ribs are half the price of pork ribs per pound basically everywhere I can remember seeing them at, including Wisconsin.

Are you speaking of short ribs or the actual ribs, because the actual ribs come from the prime rib roast and although not as spendy as a prime rib whole, are generally more than the pork ribs. I think I paid $5.50 lb for the batch I bought, and I can get pork ribs for $3.50 quite frequently.

Of course quantity may play a part, as I had a really hard time finding the beef ribs and the pork ones I can readily find everywhere.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:18 pm
  • I haven't purchased them in years, but holy Jesus, they have gone up in price; I just checked Safeway's website. WTF?

I stand corrected on the price, but certainly not on the statement of comparative quality. Pork ribs for the win, just like a beef steak clearly owns a pork steak.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:20 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:

8)

Are you speaking of short ribs or the actual ribs, because the actual ribs come from the prime rib roast and although not as spendy as a prime rib whole, are generally more than the pork ribs. I think I paid $5.50 lb for the batch I bought, and I can get pork ribs for $3.50 quite frequently.

Of course quantity may play a part, as I had a really hard time finding the beef ribs and the pork ones I can readily find everywhere.

It's not something I price regularly, and a fair few of you would probably find it offensive that I don't care much for BBQ (give me a hamburger any day), but looking around online, beef ribs seem to be more expensive.
    0118 999 881 999 119 725 3
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:59 am
  • StoneCold wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:I throw them on a BBQ. You have to be attentive with them and keep a spray water bottle handy. I also prop the top of the BBQ open with a brick or something to let it breath as beef has a lot of fat. After you braise them on both sides, cook them indirectly and be mindful to not overcook them and they come out top notch every time.

Sounds like you are doing a quick sear first and then slowing it down after that. My grandma used to call that "sending it to the devil". Classic technique for doing a whole prime rib as well. How long do you cook them and at what temp?

I don't cook them in a smoker so I don't take the temperature. It's a "feel" thing. I know my grill so I just get it really hot, sear them, then put them off to the side sometimes using a foil to protect from the heat from the other side. They come out awesome every time. And, by the way. Beef ribs used to be about .99 a pound back in 2011, now they are $2.99 on sale. I can get baby backs every day of the week for that.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:06 am
  • Largent80 wrote: And, by the way. Beef ribs used to be about .99 a pound back in 2011, now they are $2.99 on sale. I can get baby backs every day of the week for that.

Not to take this too far off track, but beef prices are crazy weird, at least up here. I can often find new york or ribeye steaks for $6-$8/lb, yet ground beef is sky rocketed in recent years. The cheapest of the cheap runs over $3/lb and for anything less than 10% fat, ranges from $7/lb upward. It's crazy that I can get a decent steak for the same or less than some ground beef.

/rant over (kinda)

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:08 am
  • Yeah, they add all that free trimmed fat into all the other crap they put in burger yet almost charge steak prices for it.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:47 am
  • Largent80 wrote:Yeah, they add all that free trimmed fat into all the other crap they put in burger yet almost charge steak prices for it.

Fat is where the flavor's at. I love it when I can' find 20% fat ground beef. When I can't, I like to grind my own and throw in some pork belly.

Meat pricing varies by region and store, but then so does quality. I won't buy burger at QFC or Safeway. Call me a snob, but I think it tastes crappy. Whole Foods, Metropolitan Market or Central Market all good. Otherwise it's grind my own.

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:22 am
  • Here is the best beef rib I have ever had. From a place in NYC called Mighty Quinn's. This thing was massive.

I love beef ribs but they are definitely harder to come by than pork ribs.

drcool
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:06 am

Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:43 am
  • StoneCold wrote:Fat is where the flavor's at. I love it when I can' find 20% fat ground beef. When I can't, I like to grind my own and throw in some pork belly.

Meat pricing varies by region and store, but then so does quality. I won't buy burger at QFC or Safeway. Call me a snob, but I think it tastes crappy. Whole Foods, Metropolitan Market or Central Market all good. Otherwise it's grind my own.

I'd love to see your results on a couple of the different blind taste tests Gordon Ramsay does to contestants on Hell's Kitchen. :)
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:11 pm
  • StoneCold wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:Yeah, they add all that free trimmed fat into all the other crap they put in burger yet almost charge steak prices for it.

Fat is where the flavor's at. I love it when I can' find 20% fat ground beef. When I can't, I like to grind my own and throw in some pork belly.

We use cow suet to grind our elk and deer meat. Sometimes they grind the suet for us for 1.00 lb or sometimes less. Depends on how many orders they get in. Probably use it again this year for the one Moose we get this fall.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:28 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    StoneCold wrote:Fat is where the flavor's at. I love it when I can' find 20% fat ground beef. When I can't, I like to grind my own and throw in some pork belly.

I'd love to see your results on a couple of the different blind taste tests Gordon Ramsay does to contestants on Hell's Kitchen. :)

Thou art questioning my palate? :)

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:38 pm
  • StoneCold wrote:Thou art questioning my palate? :)

Yes. However, I question damn near everybody's thoughts on what they think they're good at. There's a common theme somewhere here with the human race; you can probably see where I'm going with this. It's absolutely nothing personal or specific to you. :)
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:58 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    StoneCold wrote:Thou art questioning my palate? :)

Yes. However, I question damn near everybody's thoughts on what they think they're good at. There's a common theme somewhere here with the human race; you can probably see where I'm going with this. It's absolutely nothing personal or specific to you. :)

Didn't take it personally at all, and would love to do a blind taste test. And I'm fully prepared to be full of shite. I know I've bought burger at QFC and been unhappy with the result. Doesn't mean I could pick it out from say 3 different patties. But I'd like to think I could and willing to try.

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:35 pm
  • I suspect you'd find this article intriguing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judgment_of_Paris_(wine)

Confirmation bias is powerful, and studies have shown numerous times that things actually taste better to us if we pay more for them even when they're the same exact thing as a cheaper version. I'm not saying there's no difference, just that we tend to overstate/perceive said difference to wildly varying degrees.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:03 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I suspect you'd find this article intriguing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judgment_of_Paris_(wine)

Confirmation bias is powerful, and studies have shown numerous times that things actually taste better to us if we pay more for them even when they're the same exact thing as a cheaper version. I'm not saying there's no difference, just that we tend to overstate/perceive said difference to wildly varying degrees.

Have read about that before and how it was the beginning of the Napa wine explosion. I also read a story where they added red food coloring to white wine and no one could tell the difference. I'm certain my vaunted palate would not be fooled by such bias or chicanery! :irishdrinkers:

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:35 am
  • OK, inspired by this thread I will be cooking some beef ribs for the first time this weekend. If you don't hear from me next week send napkins, beer, and a defibrillator.
    drcool
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:38 am
  • drcool wrote:OK, inspired by this thread I will be cooking some beef ribs for the first time this weekend. If you don't hear from me next week send napkins, beer, and a defibrillator.

Dental floss is your friend.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:53 am
  • Largent80 wrote:
    drcool wrote:OK, inspired by this thread I will be cooking some beef ribs for the first time this weekend. If you don't hear from me next week send napkins, beer, and a defibrillator.

If I add in some corn on the cob I will need a weed whacker to clean my teeth.
    drcool
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:59 am
  • drcool wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:
    drcool wrote:OK, inspired by this thread I will be cooking some beef ribs for the first time this weekend. If you don't hear from me next week send napkins, beer, and a defibrillator.

If I add in some corn on the cob I will need a weed whacker to clean my teeth.

Do it, and please video..... :lol:
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:02 am

About 4 1/2 hours in. Hopefully another 90 minutes or so on the smoker and then a rest. Can't wait to taste these bad boys.
    drcool
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:16 pm
  • Here are a few more pics:

Side view of the ribs - The two racks were just over 5 lbs each

After just under 8 hours on a smoker ~280 degrees:

And here is the final product:

All in all they turned out awesome. Great flavor, great texture, and very moist and juicy. Can't wait to give these a go again. I did a full write up on my site if you want some more info on them: http://completecarnivore.com/30-cuts-30-days-beef-ribs/
    drcool
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:58 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information